This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm a nontraditional predent with a degree in finance/accounting.

First of all, many college/masters graduates with non medical degrees are lucky to even FIND a job, anywhere. If they do find a job, more than likely it's doing grunt work for $50k year with minimal raise. Then we hop on dental forums and see massive crying for anything less than 100k first year. Come on guys, we have it good! But I know this thread is more about dentists vs MD so here is my take.

I worked in the corporate world for several years and didn't like it at all. In that world, besides doing your best on your actual job, you have to play the politics game. Your career advancement depends so much on who likes you and who doesn't like you. To me, that's way too much work for very limited rewards. I'm also a man of freedom. I want to be able to do my own things and take full responsibilities. In the corporate world, you're not encouraged to be creative and change the status quo. Eventually, you'll become complacent, dull, and lifeless. Well guess what? Hospitals are corporation! I disliked the corporate environment back then and there is a great possibility I'll dislike working in hospitals in the future.

On the other hand, dental offices are run as small businesses, where the owner (the dentist) can take everything into his or her own hands. I understand there is competition,but surely it's not as bad as running a restaurant or a hair salon. For the amount of work and time we put in, the rewards are massive compared to almost everything else. Oh by the way, my main reason for choosing dentistry (besides the fact that I actually like teeth) over MD is being able to spend quality time with my family and not being on call for the rest of my life.

Lastly, 300k a year is really not that much. Dentists on average to me are more entrepreneurial than MDs. Compounded by the fact that we have more free time to explore other ventures, I'd say the ratio of 1mm+/year dentists are higher than 1mm+/year MDs.

Although there are some changes coming, I still believe dentistry is a fine profession.

This, in a nutshell. What all your college buddies didnt/won't tell you...At least the field of healthcare is one in which you decide your fate. You want more money, study your butt off, match into your specialty of choice; pursue a great GPR, etc.
 
Personally I feel like accounting and comp sci would bore me to death. Nursing would have been cool, but I had the mindset of being a dentist since high school. I also wouldnt call those jobs stress free. Although financial stress maybe minimal, the stress of not doing what I want (dentistry) and being stuck for the rest of my life with a job I dislike is much worse.
Are you in a family of "real" doctors? I heard most MDs actually respect dentists and other health professionals as equals.

funnily, no one in my entire family (aunts, uncles, parents, cousins) are doctors (PHD, MD, DMD, etc). I will be the first.

I think deep down MD look down on dentists. The only way to make them respect us is if we make more money than them..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
funnily, no one in my entire family (aunts, uncles, parents, cousins) are doctors (PHD, MD, DMD, etc). I will be the first.

I think deep down MD look down on dentists. The only way to make them respect us is if we make more money than them..
I think deep down some MDs look down on most every other profession. Which makes me look down on them. That's a sad perspective
 
Any particular reason why you are concerned about the pigeonholing of specialization?

Not sure the official data on this, so I welcome additional comments. When I was in my 3rd year I was seriously considering specializing. I was in the top chunk of my class and didn't mind being a student longer. So here are my thoughts on why I didn't choose to apply to specialties :

1. You lose a lot of the variability throughout the day. As an endo, every single day for the rest of your career will involve and endodontic procedure/diagnosis. Granted much variability exists between one rct and another, but its still ALWAYS endo.
2. You are somewhat at the mercy of the general dentist. Ie. I enjoyed oral surgery in school and heavily considered it as a career. However since graduation ive extracted ~250 teeth and referred maybe 4 (by choice, they looked like headaches I was EAGER to pass 'down the line'. I've referred zero endo. In other words, with continuing education the general dentist is now able to expand his toolbelt so vastly that most referrals could be more so to avoid a 'hot potatoe' rather than because of lack of experience.
General dentists are doing complex rotary endo, wisdom tooth removal, implantology, soft tissue grafting, pediatrics etc.
Last week I was visited at my office by an endodontist in the area, who I went to school with... He was giving me referral forms and, during the workweek, taking time out of his practice to come ask me for referrals. It was somewhat sad as I was thinking, I will refer you the endos I cannot possibly do, but thats all.
3. You ~must live in or near an urban area. Once you are specialized the range of procedures you perform diminishes vastly, to fill your schedule you need a higher volume of patients in the geographic area. For me, my wife and I prefer a more rural setting, where specializing would involve much traveling.
4. Additional school, additional debt. And you will typically wind up at the general dentists door passing out your card.
5. Possible hospital work environment.
6. General Dentists typically are more involved with each additional patient/ closer relationship

Pros of Specializing
Typically more money
Typically more prestige
Typically more personal time
Exciting, rewarding procedures

Its definitely not BAD to specialize, but if you are motivated to expand your general knowledge, if you enjoy a VAST range of variability throughout the workday, if you prefer a less urban environment, and the doctor/patient relationship is important to you, give great consideration to general dentistry.

-Boxes
 
I actually know a number of MDs who are jealous of dentists. One of my MD friends was actually considering dental school after she paid $140 for her son to get his teeth cleaned! She was bitter and got over it eventually.

We shouldn't generalize though. I'm sure many of us know arrogant physicians, physicians who respect dentists, and physicians who, if given the opportunity, would choose dentistry if they had the chance to do it over again.
 
MD's don't give a f**** about dentists. Plain and simple.. I hate them
This is a better way to look at anyone, in any field, who condescends
17944ba2c5d0ae2c4465efd6f7043eab.jpg
 
Not sure the official data on this, so I welcome additional comments. When I was in my 3rd year I was seriously considering specializing. I was in the top chunk of my class and didn't mind being a student longer. So here are my thoughts on why I didn't choose to apply to specialties :

1. You lose a lot of the variability throughout the day. As an endo, every single day for the rest of your career will involve and endodontic procedure/diagnosis. Granted much variability exists between one rct and another, but its still ALWAYS endo.
2. You are somewhat at the mercy of the general dentist. Ie. I enjoyed oral surgery in school and heavily considered it as a career. However since graduation ive extracted ~250 teeth and referred maybe 4 (by choice, they looked like headaches I was EAGER to pass 'down the line'. I've referred zero endo. In other words, with continuing education the general dentist is now able to expand his toolbelt so vastly that most referrals could be more so to avoid a 'hot potatoe' rather than because of lack of experience.
General dentists are doing complex rotary endo, wisdom tooth removal, implantology, soft tissue grafting, pediatrics etc.
Last week I was visited at my office by an endodontist in the area, who I went to school with... He was giving me referral forms and, during the workweek, taking time out of his practice to come ask me for referrals. It was somewhat sad as I was thinking, I will refer you the endos I cannot possibly do, but thats all.
3. You ~must live in or near an urban area. Once you are specialized the range of procedures you perform diminishes vastly, to fill your schedule you need a higher volume of patients in the geographic area. For me, my wife and I prefer a more rural setting, where specializing would involve much traveling.
4. Additional school, additional debt. And you will typically wind up at the general dentists door passing out your card.
5. Possible hospital work environment.
6. General Dentists typically are more involved with each additional patient/ closer relationship

Pros of Specializing
Typically more money
Typically more prestige
Typically more personal time
Exciting, rewarding procedures

Its definitely not BAD to specialize, but if you are motivated to expand your general knowledge, if you enjoy a VAST range of variability throughout the workday, if you prefer a less urban environment, and the doctor/patient relationship is important to you, give great consideration to general dentistry.

-Boxes

.....and yep, I'm going general. You sold me.
 
I think deep down some MDs look down on most every other profession. Which makes me look down on them. That's a sad perspective

Douchebag MD's house is on fire. Firefighter immediately arrives to the scene.

Douchebag MD to firefighter: "Hurry up and save my house you overpaid underworked person."
 
MD's don't give a f**** about dentists. Plain and simple.. I hate them

I've heard discriminatory things mostly from older/retired docs. They seemed to be quick to point out that Dentists aren't "real" doctors.
The younger docs in my experience are very positive and receptive to Dentistry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think deep down some MDs look down on most every other profession. Which makes me look down on them. That's a sad perspective

That's a sad perspective indeed. My girlfriend is an MD. Trust me, once you are out of dental school and they are out of medical school almost no one is comparing genital sizes anymore.


I do sometimes greatly wish I had pursued my dream of being an artist and writer and have been content--at least I wouldn't feel so burden with so much debt.

Musician here. Being a broke and starving artist takes the passion and enjoyment out of the art pretty quickly. It is difficult to concentrate on being an artist when you are worried about paying the bills or repairing your car.
 
Last edited:
If you disregard the grumpy old docs, im sure an overwhelming majority of new docs don't have these anti-dentist sentiments. I don't see the point in taking time out just to disrespect a person for how he/she chose to make a living...
 
IMO he probably isn't. EM sounds like a good deal though - looking through the med forums, it seriously looks like this is legit. Only a 3 year, noncompetitive residency after med school (shortest one), then 300k a year? A ton of people also mentioned cutting back to 20 hours/week as they got older and still making 200k+, which doesn't sound half bad... With 4 years of dental + 1 year gpr, thats only 2 years less than 4 years med +3 years residency for the EM physician - who can moonlight...

I would advise you to look again. It is at least "moderately competitive", if not more toward the competitive end of the spectrum. Also, as someone stated around 25% of programs are 4 years.
 
@ridethecliche actually haven't heard it myself either, was just a general response to various posts from this thread
 
I would advise you to look again. It is at least "moderately competitive", if not more toward the competitive end of the spectrum. Also, as someone stated around 25% of programs are 4 years.
I heard it is becoming one of the most desired specialties now. The acronym my friend used was ADORE instead of the one I always hear ROAD.
 
This has got to be the biggest horse crap I have seen written here so far. I am going to tell you, you sound like a whiny little brat encouraging these kids not to go into Dentistry because you are not enjoying it yourself. I am a 29 year old pre-dental student who wants to become a Dentist. I have been through many facets of the "real world" and in many positions in different companies. Saturation is everywhere, business/IT/law EVERYWHERE. Your whining about the industry looks really puny compared to all the other professions. Oh boo hoo associates will only earn 90-120k, seriously? Who told you to take out so much student loans? There are Dental schools with tuition way lower than others, no on forced you to pay that much. Also don't tell people to go into Medicine just because they get paid more and difference in schooling, that is probably why you hate Dentistry because your eyes were on the prize and not the work. You most likely have no business sense and only real world experience was when you started working as a Dentist. Being a Dentist is freaking awesome, where else can you just pick up and go and utilize your skills almost anywhere in the world and still have job security?? You can be an amazing Entrepreneur with your Dental education and open up multiple locations. You know who has a right to complain? Law students, they are facing a horrible job market and they can't just take their skills anywhere. Trust me I have been in the job market and everything else really sucks, you have to deal with major politics in most environments that make you miserable as ****. You have to deal with kissing ass and quotas to earn or risk of losing everything you worked for. You just DON'T know how it is on the other side and that is why I chose to become a Dentist, I absolutely love the aspect of oral health, working with my hands and being a respect professional that helps people.
 
I heard it is becoming one of the most desired specialties now. The acronym my friend used was ADORE instead of the one I always hear ROAD.

People use ROAD or ROADE (E for Emergency Medicine) on these boards, but this is probably 10-15 years old. Radiology and Anes are no longer competitive specialties students want to get into. Last year, for US allo students that only applied to one specialty the match rate for Rads and Anes were 97-98%. Optho and Derm are still very competitive, for mainly the lifestyle and adequate salary.

Emergency medicine is not a lifestyle specialty by any means. You work less hours, but you have to work swing shifts/nights, holidays, weekends, etc. Every shift can also be demanding and high burnout. As long as you know what you're getting into, EM is a great specialty for the obvious benefits (hours, high per hr salary, flexibility, no call, etc).
 
I think deep down some MDs look down on most every other profession. Which makes me look down on them. That's a sad perspective

That is exactly the opposite of what all of my physicians have said and our family friends that are MD's, they all said that if they had it to do over, they would have gone into dentistry. Even my orthopedic surgeon and cardiologist said when we were talking about school, etc. said that.
 
That is exactly the opposite of what all of my physicians have said and our family friends that are MD's, they all said that if they had it to do over, they would have gone into dentistry. Even my orthopedic surgeon and cardiologist said when we were talking about school, etc. said that.
That's why I said some. Maybe I know too many pre-meds here (I know, pre-med ≠ MD) but you can tell they have some kind of complex. But it's good that the ones you know don't look down on people 🙂
 
This has got to be the biggest horse crap I have seen written here so far. I am going to tell you, you sound like a whiny little brat encouraging these kids not to go into Dentistry because you are not enjoying it yourself. I am a 29 year old pre-dental student who wants to become a Dentist. I have been through many facets of the "real world" and in many positions in different companies. Saturation is everywhere, business/IT/law EVERYWHERE. Your whining about the industry looks really puny compared to all the other professions. Oh boo hoo associates will only earn 90-120k, seriously? Who told you to take out so much student loans? There are Dental schools with tuition way lower than others, no on forced you to pay that much. Also don't tell people to go into Medicine just because they get paid more and difference in schooling, that is probably why you hate Dentistry because your eyes were on the prize and not the work. You most likely have no business sense and only real world experience was when you started working as a Dentist. Being a Dentist is freaking awesome, where else can you just pick up and go and utilize your skills almost anywhere in the world and still have job security?? You can be an amazing Entrepreneur with your Dental education and open up multiple locations. You know who has a right to complain? Law students, they are facing a horrible job market and they can't just take their skills anywhere. Trust me I have been in the job market and everything else really sucks, you have to deal with major politics in most environments that make you miserable as ****. You have to deal with kissing ass and quotas to earn or risk of losing everything you worked for. You just DON'T know how it is on the other side and that is why I chose to become a Dentist, I absolutely love the aspect of oral health, working with my hands and being a respect professional that helps people.

Oh, yes, big mr. pre-dent, tell me again how awesome practicing dentistry is...give me a break. If you still feel the same way after year 5 of practicing, then you have the right to say all that. And if you do feel the same way after five years great for you. I don't think any of the practicing dentists on this thread are rooting against any of you pre-dents. However, at least I wish that I would have known some of the negative aspects of dentistry before I sealed my fate. Take what you read add it to your pros/cons list and move the hell on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has got to be the biggest horse crap I have seen written here so far. I am going to tell you, you sound like a whiny little brat encouraging these kids not to go into Dentistry because you are not enjoying it yourself. I am a 29 year old pre-dental student who wants to become a Dentist. I have been through many facets of the "real world" and in many positions in different companies. Saturation is everywhere, business/IT/law EVERYWHERE. Your whining about the industry looks really puny compared to all the other professions. Oh boo hoo associates will only earn 90-120k, seriously? Who told you to take out so much student loans? There are Dental schools with tuition way lower than others, no on forced you to pay that much. Also don't tell people to go into Medicine just because they get paid more and difference in schooling, that is probably why you hate Dentistry because your eyes were on the prize and not the work. You most likely have no business sense and only real world experience was when you started working as a Dentist. Being a Dentist is freaking awesome, where else can you just pick up and go and utilize your skills almost anywhere in the world and still have job security?? You can be an amazing Entrepreneur with your Dental education and open up multiple locations. You know who has a right to complain? Law students, they are facing a horrible job market and they can't just take their skills anywhere. Trust me I have been in the job market and everything else really sucks, you have to deal with major politics in most environments that make you miserable as ****. You have to deal with kissing ass and quotas to earn or risk of losing everything you worked for. You just DON'T know how it is on the other side and that is why I chose to become a Dentist, I absolutely love the aspect of oral health, working with my hands and being a respect professional that helps people.

Thank you. *High Five* 29yr old lowly pre-dent here, I will turn 30 the day after I start D-school, been around the block a couple times. Your comment about Dentistry being a lot of people's only real world experience, I feel is accurate. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing, I'm sure most of this kids will go on to be great dentists and will do great things. However, I do feel we have a culture that for a generation or 2 now has told us "if you go to school and get a good education - you will be set". Then we follow this path, hit the real world after 20 years of academia and few 100G in debt and thinking life is about to be grand and then we realize how hard the working world can be.
I will say that when I came back to school I was thoroughly impressed with how smart, focused and serious a lot the 19-22 year old students were. I was very impressed with a lot of my younger classmates.
 
Computer science/nursing/accounting majors can make good money in their 20s and 30s without any financial stress. They are also free to move and work anywhere they want (don't have to go rural or geographically restricted). Since they are debt-free, they are not really tied to their jobs. If they hate where they work, they are free to just quit and work somewhere else until they find a place where they love to work.

On nursing, I'll leave that to the friendly nurses over at allnurses.com:

Don't go into nursing:
http://allnurses.com/pre-nursing-student/be-aware-dont-495840.html

On accounting, here are a couple of good threads:

Think twice before you get that accounting degree: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/1004020-think-twice-before-you-get-accounting.html
If you could go back, would you major in accounting again? https://www.reddit.com/r/Accounting/comments/1t3xef/if_you_could_go_back_would_you_major_in/

I am a web designer right now making a good salary and living a comfortable life. I like what I do, enjoy my job, get along with my colleagues, and my company is fantastic. But I am not in charge, there is limited growth potential, and I will never earn what a dentist can. Most importantly though, I don't do anything which impacts a person's life. The importance of work which comes from treating human beings is not a part of my daily experience.

Computer science majors can go do their own start up.

Anyone can start any business, that doesn't mean they will be successful. You are more likely to succeed with a dental practice than a tech startup.

Accounting majors can get their CPA and open their own firm, get their mba and go into high finance/consulting, or climb the corporate ladder to CFO level.

Becoming the CFO of a major company is typically far more competitive and difficult than becoming or being a dentist.

Nursing majors can get their NP (while working full-time too, no opportunity cost like dental school) and specialize in specialties like psychiatry.

Yes, and their wages are dropping as they become more abundant. I suspect that this current NP landscape is a bubble just waiting to burst. How many NPs do we really need?

Since they don't have to go through 4 years of dental school and incur 400k debt, they start making money faster and start saving for retirement faster.

They also make less money. They have little or no autonomy in many regions, and in those that they do it is limited to a very narrow scope of practice. How would you like to write an Rx for a sinus infection 20 times per day?

They can also invest in real estate and start their own side business if they want to too. If they fail, they will be okay because they can just declare bankruptcy and walk away. You can't say the same with dentist locked down by 400k+ student loans.

There's nothing stopping a dentist from investing in real estate. Many do actually.

They only con is that you have to give up the doctor title and the prestige that comes with it

Make less money, still go through a lot of schooling, have a very limited scope of practice, a lot less autonomy, a market which is increasingly saturated with NPs.

I think dentistry might be the better path in your 40's but do you really want to go through that stress in your 20's and 30's to get there? I think it is much better to live stress free and enjoy life in your 20's and 30's.

You won't enjoy your 40's and 50's as much if you don't work for it in your 20's and 30's. That principle applies across all career fields. You want to be a successful lawyer? Give up your youth... You want to be a successful artist, businessman, banker, broker, physician, in your '40s / '50s? Give up your '20s... Professional careers require many sacrifices from young people, which is why the people who graduate high school and go onto blissful lives while you are working hard to get through school end up so far behind you later in life. Delayed gratification comes with the territory.

If we are debating medicine vs. dentistry, I would say medicine. The supply of doctor is controlled by the number of residencies which is tied to government funding. That means medicine can never really get saturated unless they increase suddenly the number of residencies available. Medicine is unlike other college majors and professional schools because they are totally unaffected by the education bubble. Sure the school prices has risen a lot, but as long as the number of graduates is less than the number of residencies, they will be okay.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/how-government-killed-medical-profession

You don't have to take detailed notes on your patients or spend hours doing dictations. You don't have to sift through the ICD-10 which, if Medicare says you didn't bill correctly you get $0 reimbursement for your services! If you don't meet 100% of your goals as defined by Medicare, your reimbursement rate drops. You can not miss even 1 goal. Some of those goals are impossible, like ensuring that 30% of your patients log into your online portal to review their records. How exactly are you going to force your patients to do that?! There are literally THOUSANDS of codes in ICD-10, and there are now billing experts whose sole purpose it is to help doctors bill their patients correctly. All of the meaningful use laws and regulations which force doctors to treat everyone as though they are exactly the same is killing the medical profession. Doctors are increasingly denying Medicare entirely, and many older doctors are just leaving the field.
 
Last edited:
@ridethecliche actually haven't heard it myself either, was just a general response to various posts from this thread

So people are getting outraged on behalf of someone else that met a dick? Seriously?

Here's a newsflash for ya: Disgruntled people trash talk just about everyone. If it's bothering people enough to start a thread about it, then it might be time to realign your priorities.
 
This has got to be the biggest horse crap I have seen written here so far. I am going to tell you, you sound like a whiny little brat encouraging these kids not to go into Dentistry because you are not enjoying it yourself. I am a 29 year old pre-dental student who wants to become a Dentist. I have been through many facets of the "real world" and in many positions in different companies. Saturation is everywhere, business/IT/law EVERYWHERE. Your whining about the industry looks really puny compared to all the other professions. Oh boo hoo associates will only earn 90-120k, seriously? Who told you to take out so much student loans? There are Dental schools with tuition way lower than others, no on forced you to pay that much. Also don't tell people to go into Medicine just because they get paid more and difference in schooling, that is probably why you hate Dentistry because your eyes were on the prize and not the work. You most likely have no business sense and only real world experience was when you started working as a Dentist. Being a Dentist is freaking awesome, where else can you just pick up and go and utilize your skills almost anywhere in the world and still have job security?? You can be an amazing Entrepreneur with your Dental education and open up multiple locations. You know who has a right to complain? Law students, they are facing a horrible job market and they can't just take their skills anywhere. Trust me I have been in the job market and everything else really sucks, you have to deal with major politics in most environments that make you miserable as ****. You have to deal with kissing ass and quotas to earn or risk of losing everything you worked for. You just DON'T know how it is on the other side and that is why I chose to become a Dentist, I absolutely love the aspect of oral health, working with my hands and being a respect professional that helps people.
image.png
 
Let me comment on this Doctor vs Dentist. Dentistry could be a specialty from medical school, it's just an accident of history that it's not. Ultimately, doctors specialize and learn something equally specific to dentistry, often more specific than the oral cavity. After 10 years of practice, they will have forgotten most of everything doesn't relate to their specialty. Personally, I don't need the approval or title. I'm getting into dentistry because I love working with my hands, I love working with people, I love operating in an independent environment, I love having the autonomy to choose my staff and hours and I think that material science is absolutely fascinating. I've personally never heard a doctor disparage dentistry, except in a joking way...and my dad and older brother are doctors.
 
I had an MD almost have a breakdown in the chair over his job while shadowing at the Dentist, he was so unhappy with his hours and level of stress. I had a lot of support from different MD's and DO's in different fields tell me Dentistry is the way to go. Most MD's look down on individuals who do not have a Clinical Doctorate degree (my uncle who has his doctorate in music got TOLD OFF by an MD once).
 
On nursing, I'll leave that to the friendly nurses over at allnurses.com:

Don't go into nursing:
http://allnurses.com/pre-nursing-student/be-aware-dont-495840.html

On accounting, here are a couple of good threads:

Think twice before you get that accounting degree: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/1004020-think-twice-before-you-get-accounting.html
If you could go back, would you major in accounting again? https://www.reddit.com/r/Accounting/comments/1t3xef/if_you_could_go_back_would_you_major_in/

I think you find a thread like that on any profession if you look hard enough.

I am a web designer right now making a good salary and living a comfortable life. I like what I do, enjoy my job, get along with my colleagues, and my company is fantastic. But I am not in charge, there is limited growth potential, and I will never earn what a dentist can.

I am pretty sure there are opportunities in computer science that match can match what dentist make.

Most importantly though, I don't do anything which impacts a person's life. The importance of work which comes from treating human beings is not a part of my daily experience.

Nurses treat people and impacts people's lives. CPA's work with people and impact people's lives (You will probably have one btw). IT consultants work with people and impact people's lives.

Anyone can start any business, that doesn't mean they will be successful. You are more likely to succeed with a dental practice than a tech startup.

I think the student loans, high overhead, and corporate dentistry make it harder now. Also, dental insurance, saturation, and squeezing of the middle class really cap your earnings.


Becoming the CFO of a major company is typically far more competitive and difficult than becoming or being a dentist.

You don't have to be CFO. There are other opportunities as an accounting major that are just as good.


Yes, and their wages are dropping as they become more abundant. I suspect that this current NP landscape is a bubble just waiting to burst. How many NPs do we really need?

I don't think so. With such focus on reducing healthcare cost and now that everyone is required to have health insurance, I think they are pretty safe in the future. They can also just work as an RN if it comes to it.

They also make less money. They have little or no autonomy in many regions, and in those that they do it is limited to a very narrow scope of practice. How would you like to write an Rx for a sinus infection 20 times per day?

I think you will get the same feeling once you practice dentistry for awhile. Everything is about teeth in dentistry if you didn't know.

There's nothing stopping a dentist from investing in real estate. Many do actually.

Student loan and practice loan. Unless you want be 1 mil in debt. I don't think future dentists have the same financial freedom as the ones in the past.


Make less money, still go through a lot of schooling, have a very limited scope of practice, a lot less autonomy, a market which is increasingly saturated with NPs.

A lot less debt too.

You won't enjoy your 40's and 50's as much if you don't work for it in your 20's and 30's. That principle applies across all career fields. You want to be a successful lawyer? Give up your youth... You want to be a successful artist, businessman, banker, broker, physician, in your '40s / '50s? Give up your '20s... Professional careers require many sacrifices from young people, which is why the people who graduate high school and go onto blissful lives while you are working hard to get through school end up so far behind you later in life. Delayed gratification comes with the territory.

Yeah but a lot of people don't expect to be living so poorly for a decade after going to through undergrad and dental school. A lot of people think once they finish dental school and they would have made it and will be coasting through life making 100k+ a year for the rest of their lives.


http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/how-government-killed-medical-profession

You don't have to take detailed notes on your patients or spend hours doing dictations. You don't have to sift through the ICD-10 which, if Medicare says you didn't bill correctly you get $0 reimbursement for your services! If you don't meet 100% of your goals as defined by Medicare, your reimbursement rate drops. You can not miss even 1 goal. Some of those goals are impossible, like ensuring that 30% of your patients log into your online portal to review their records. How exactly are you going to force your patients to do that?! There are literally THOUSANDS of codes in ICD-10, and there are now billing experts whose sole purpose it is to help doctors bill their patients correctly. All of the meaningful use laws and regulations which force doctors to treat everyone as though they are exactly the same is killing the medical profession. Doctors are increasingly denying Medicare entirely, and many older doctors are just leaving the field.

That is what happens when most of your payments comes from the government in every profession. Same goes for a dentist taking medicaid. There is high regulation when it comes to dishing out taxpayers' dollars. But you gotta look at the positives though. What happens if the middle class goes completely broke? Doctors will be secure because they can just get reimbursed by the government. For dentists, it really depends on person's discretionary income and a lot of people would rather spend their money on other stuff like cell phones and laptops before it comes to their teeth.
 
]http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/how-government-killed-medical-profession

You don't have to take detailed notes on your patients or spend hours doing dictations. You don't have to sift through the ICD-10 which, if Medicare says you didn't bill correctly you get $0 reimbursement for your services! If you don't meet 100% of your goals as defined by Medicare, your reimbursement rate drops. You can not miss even 1 goal. Some of those goals are impossible, like ensuring that 30% of your patients log into your online portal to review their records. How exactly are you going to force your patients to do that?! There are literally THOUSANDS of codes in ICD-10, and there are now billing experts whose sole purpose it is to help doctors bill their patients correctly. All of the meaningful use laws and regulations which force doctors to treat everyone as though they are exactly the same is killing the medical profession. Doctors are increasingly denying Medicare entirely, and many older doctors are just leaving the field.
Can confirm. I work in a private family medicine practice. Medical coding and billing is a train wreck and our doctors complain about it constantly. But, I think comparing medicine to dentistry is kind of apples and oranges...

About IT, I have a B.S. in comp sci, it's a great field with ample job opportunities, but you're out of your mind if you think the average earning potential of a comp sci grad is anywhere near that of a dentist. Not to mention the business aspects, owning, being the boss, all that good stuff. Are there comp sci master minds who go out and create the next startup, app, etc? Sure. Is that the norm? Of course not.

Dentistry sets you up with a clear business plan and skill from the get go. That's a lot easier to turn in to a thriving business than a comp sci major with only a skill.

Throw in 500k in student loans and I'm not sure where this goes, but the thread was originally about saturation and then devolved in to comparing dentistry to [insert any other field].

This thread shall not die!
 
So people are getting outraged on behalf of someone else that met a dick? Seriously?

Here's a newsflash for ya: Disgruntled people trash talk just about everyone. If it's bothering people enough to start a thread about it, then it might be time to realign your priorities.
This thread want started for that reason... Pretty clear if you just read the OP
 
This thread want started for that reason... Pretty clear if you just read the OP

Did read it. Congrats. Professional school cost is skyrocketing and is basically a bubble. Dentistry doesn't require a residency right, okay so compared to say PCP's your debt is going to be way less given the same amount of loans since it's not accruing over residency when you're not really going to put much of a dent in it.

Otherwise, it seems that dentistry is going through the same growing pains that private primary care practices etc were going through. Salary goes down a bit, sure, but so does risk. Those offices have more bargaining power with insurance than individual private practices as well.
 
Oh, yes, big mr. pre-dent, tell me again how awesome practicing dentistry is...give me a break. If you still feel the same way after year 5 of practicing, then you have the right to say all that. And if you do feel the same way after five years great for you. I don't think any of the practicing dentists on this thread are rooting against any of you pre-dents. However, at least I wish that I would have known some of the negative aspects of dentistry before I sealed my fate. Take what you read add it to your pros/cons list and move the hell on.
Well grass is always greener on the other side, maybe you should have practiced law and ended up working at Starbucks like a lot of law grads I know. With a huge law school debt and a barista salary to pay it back.
 
Oh, yes, big mr. pre-dent, tell me again how awesome practicing dentistry is...give me a break. If you still feel the same way after year 5 of practicing, then you have the right to say all that. And if you do feel the same way after five years great for you. I don't think any of the practicing dentists on this thread are rooting against any of you pre-dents. However, at least I wish that I would have known some of the negative aspects of dentistry before I sealed my fate. Take what you read add it to your pros/cons list and move the hell on.
You sound like OP, a bitter disgruntled Dentist practicing something she does not love and complaining about it. Do your patients a favor and leave the field if you don't like it. Maybe you should have chased something you had a passion for out of College instead of being a drone and going into a profession you don't know if you would enjoy or not. Your type of complaining makes me sick, I personally know unemployed people with Masters degrees who are in severe depression because they have not found employment. Yes I will feel the same way after 5 years because I chose what I want to do with the rest of my life based on what I like, not what I think I like.
 
Did read it. Congrats. Professional school cost is skyrocketing and is basically a bubble. Dentistry doesn't require a residency right, okay so compared to say PCP's your debt is going to be way less given the same amount of loans since it's not accruing over residency when you're not really going to put much of a dent in it.

Otherwise, it seems that dentistry is going through the same growing pains that private primary care practices etc were going through. Salary goes down a bit, sure, but so does risk. Those offices have more bargaining power with insurance than individual private practices as well.
Lol what? All I meant was this thread wasn't started for the reason you mentioned

"Here's a newsflash for ya: Disgruntled people trash talk just about everyone. If it's bothering people enough to start a thread about it, then it might be time to realign your priorities."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well grass is always greener on the other side, maybe you should have practiced law and ended up working at Starbucks like a lot of law grads I know. With a huge law school debt and a barista salary to pay it back.

You sound like OP, a bitter disgruntled Dentist practicing something she does not love and complaining about it. Do your patients a favor and leave the field if you don't like it. Maybe you should have chased something you had a passion for out of College instead of being a drone and going into a profession you don't know if you would enjoy or not. Your type of complaining makes me sick, I personally know unemployed people with Masters degrees who are in severe depression because they have not found employment. Yes I will feel the same way after 5 years because I chose what I want to do with the rest of my life based on what I like, not what I think I like.


3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg
 
You sound like OP, a bitter disgruntled Dentist practicing something she does not love and complaining about it. Do your patients a favor and leave the field if you don't like it. Maybe you should have chased something you had a passion for out of College instead of being a drone and going into a profession you don't know if you would enjoy or not. Your type of complaining makes me sick, I personally know unemployed people with Masters degrees who are in severe depression because they have not found employment. Yes I will feel the same way after 5 years because I chose what I want to do with the rest of my life based on what I like, not what I think I like.

Everything is feeling because you don't know what its like until you're in the driver's seat. You don't know you're going to like dentistry, you just think you're going to. We all do. Its like saying you have a passion for driving without actually driving yet.
 
Last edited:
Everything is feeling because you don't know what its like until you're in the driver's seat. You don't know you're going to like dentistry, you just think you're going to. We all do. Its like saying you have a passion for driving without actually driving yet.
I understand what you are saying, but she spoke to me in a very condescending manner , she just sounds like a whiny Dentist who doesn't know about the job market of other careers.