Drexel DPMS anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarahgelatinano

totally awesome
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied (or planning to apply) to Drexel DPMS this year? I just sent my application off.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to be a URM to apply to this program, or can you be financially disadvantaged as well, i am a first generation college student from a big poor family. But i am Pakistani so will not be considered a minority.

As of this past Monday, my app to Drexel is complete. I applied to all three programs, really early for next fall. They don't start looking at apps until January, but I started my app process in August, so now all my post bac apps are complete except for G town GEMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
YOu can be URM or economically disadvantaged for DPMS.

Queen, where else are you applying? I am also waiting for GEMS.

I also applied to Creighton, and UConn. My Creighton app has been complete for a few weeks, but they don't start looking at apps until January either.

does anyone know if they'll take the DAT instead of the MCAT for the IMS program? I've called Karen but i can't seem to reach her

I sent in my application this wk. I went to an information session at Drexel and it sort of scared me when they said about 50% of the DPMS make it to medical school. I wonder why?
I would like to get some input from someone that has been in the program. I think it will make me feel better ;-)

From what I understand, as long as you get a 3.0 or higher in the program and a 27 on the MCAT (with all sections a 7 or higher) then you are in.

I imagine people will fail out or not meet those requirements. Afterall, the courses are medical school courses and you are expected to do well in them. However, 50% is sort of low....maybe they just accept a bunch of people and a lot fail out?

What are the chances of getting into Drexel DPMS with an MCAT lower than 27? Does anybody knows?

you have to have lower than a 27 for the DPMS i think. it says at least a 20 with no section below a 6.

During the info session they said they take about 20 students. I think probably the people that don't make it through the program is because they don't try hard enough. For what they said during the session they have a pretty good support system for their students (free tutors, etc)
Once again good luck!

Does anyone know when they start reviewing applications?

Also, if you suceed in DPMS and go on to M1 at Drexel Med, do you have to take those classes over again?

What is there grading system? honors, pass, fail, etc.?

Does anybody knows how many people are accepted in UConn or Barry? Or any info about these prgrams?

Does anyone know when they start reviewing applications?

Also, if you suceed in DPMS and go on to M1 at Drexel Med, do you have to take those classes over again?

What is there grading system? honors, pass, fail, etc.?

They said you don't have to, but they recommend you take them again so that you can get good grades as a MS I.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they start reviewing applications and giving out acceptances?

Ok, so no one knows? I am getting antsy!

from last yr's posts i saw that people started getting interviews late april. and some got accepted some time in may-june....

Omigosh, that is so long away. I was thinking I would hear something soon since I have been complete now for some time. Dangit. I guess I will let my antsy-ness go away.

i spoke to someone and they said they do not start looking at applications until Feb.

Hi everyone, Im a current DPMS student and Drexel M1 hopeful,
I was told Drexel looks at applications on a rolling basis, but they didnt start interviewing until April and go through end of May.
We got our acceptances the first or second week in June and had to send in a reply and a deposit and start the summer portion of the program within a week.
The 50% get in statistic, goes for DPMS to Drexel Med, but more than that get into other med schools the year following that since you can't apply to other schools if youre doing DPMS.
The 3.0 GPA is weighed against the medical school average, their avg is your B, a 3.0, regardless of how high the grade, not a strict B of 85.
During DPMS you get letter grades, at the med school, you get pass, fail, etc.
I hope that was helpful, message me for anything else...

Hi everyone, Im a current DPMS student and Drexel M1 hopeful,
I was told Drexel looks at applications on a rolling basis, but they didnt start interviewing until April and go through end of May.
We got our acceptances the first or second week in June and had to send in a reply and a deposit and start the summer portion of the program within a week.
The 50% get in statistic, goes for DPMS to Drexel Med, but more than that get into other med schools the year following that since you can't apply to other schools if youre doing DPMS.
The 3.0 GPA is weighed against the medical school average, their avg is your B, a 3.0, regardless of how high the grade, not a strict B of 85.

I'm looking at the DPMS program. What are the numbers to get in? I only have a 3.1 sci gpa, 3.5 cum, and 27 mcat (11,8,8). Will I make the cut? Also, how are you paying for the program? I'm an American-born US citizen of immigrant parents. Since the 'rents will be selling the house and immigrating back overseas for retirement, they will not be helping me at all with graduate costs. They will not fill any FAFSA's or CSS profiles and will not co-sign for any private loans. Will I be able to both get in and afford DPMS?

Although helpful, you do not need your parents information for the FAFSA. You can fill it out yourself with your tax information as an independent. With that, you will be able to get stafford loans and things that should help cover costs, but I am not sure exactly how much. Also, I don't think you need your parents with you to co-sign on a loan if you are old enough. I think it will just help you get a better interest rate because presumably your parents have better credit than you (although this is not always the case). But, you should be able to get your own loans (private and federal) without them.

So do these students apply to other medical schools after they find out that they were not successful with the DPMS program?

Quick question, how do you like your classes? Are you in an actual classroom with the professor there or is it telecast. If so, how do you like that?

I got invited to apply to the dpms program. My application would be heading out 2morrow. i'M actually a big fan of the program, and I prefer it to other post bac programs I have seen.

I also applied to Creighton, and UConn. My Creighton app has been complete for a few weeks, but they don't start looking at apps until January either.

Heed my advice:

Whatever you do, do not do the creighton postbacc!! You don't need that toxic environment, it's just not worth it at all!!

Anyone applying to Ohio State MEDPATH?

So drexel just deposited my check for the DPMS program. I sent the check in months ago. But I guess that means they are finally starting to look at applications.

lucky you! they haven't even opened the envelope from my school containing my transcript!

I think mine was deposited too.

GARFPA, how do you know they haven't openned to envelope?

I think mine was deposited too.

GARFPA, how do you know they haven't openned to envelope?

because when i called last time she said "it may be in the pile of mail that is sitting in the office (probably sitting there for weeks?) adn that we have to sort through"....i have sent two transcripts already, and had one sent to me from school at the same time and it arrived 2 days later.

ANy one heard ne thing from drexel? I got a post card saying they got my stuff and I have been in contact through email with Dr. Walker.

Lets get through this together....lol post something

I have no idea WHEN we are going to hear anything. I called and spoke to a girl from the MSP program (since whenever I call the DPMS it goes to voicemail) and she said she didn't know when they would review, but that the deadline was sometime in May. So, I asked if it was rolling admissions or if they wait until May and she was like "it could be either", so who knows!

I am dying to hear something though since I have been complete since 2007. Come on Drexel, give us some love!!!

Do they interview for DPMS? It's been so long since I have looked at the information packet that I have forgotten.

hi everyone,

Current DPMSer here....I wish I could give you guys more information on the application timeline, but I'll try and find out from the program coordinator.

One thing I can tell you is that DPMS DOES INTERVIEW. Not everyone that applies will get invited to interview, but for those that do....IT IS YOUR MED SCHOOL INTERVIEW. You will interview with a member of the medical school admissions board, but instead of having a second student interview, you will instead just have a group lunch with a former DPMSer.

stay positive everyone, and check out the website, they've made some updates and it now has a lot more information on the program.

take care and good luck

I am also sending off my application to Drexel DPMS program sometime this week. Are there any past students out there or current students that can give us the 411 about the everyday going on's at the program.What to expect, is there a lag year etc, how many days are classes held m-f,can lectures be viewed from home etc? Thanks in advance.
PS: who ever responds to this..would they recommend this program to others and if so why or why not?

Hi everyone,

Just took my last medical physiology exam of the year, so pretty happy about that. Here are a few things that may answer some of your questions.

Admissions update:
- As soon as they get all of your paperwork, they notify you. If you have specific questions about the status of your application, email the program director, Dr. Loretta Walker at [email protected]. This is the best method of contacting her as she also teaches during the day and is not always in her office.
- Your application packet passes through multiple hands during the process, so it tends to take some time before interview invites are sent out. Last year there were several interview dates, with anywhere from 5-10 DPMS applicants at a time. Final decisions were made only after all interviews had been completed, so admissions was not rolling.

DPMS classes:
- Classes are usually Monday through Friday, but the med school classes depend on DUCOM's schedule. Since they take classes other than Biochemistry and Physiology, these two classes aren't always held the same day or at the same time (same goes for Immunology). Some weeks there will be days without either. The graduate classes have a more set schedule (meeting once or twice a week), and the MCAT classes start off at 3 classes a week but can change to 4 throughout the year.
-A day in the life varies by person, but when we're not in class we're usually studying. Expect to work hard, and expect to be very proactive about learning the material. This means setting aside your pride and scheduling tutoring sessions (available for free with people that got an A in the class the year before), forming study groups, posting questions on the course website, emailing/meeting with professors, watching archived videos on the material from last year, or using additional resources to get a clear understanding of the material. That's not to say you have to do EVERYTHING I mentioned (or that I did all of it) in order to be successful, but these are some of the things that we have been doing so far this year.
- You CAN watch lecture videos online. Med school lecture videos are usually posted online in the afternoon after a morning lecture. However, the video isn't always the best quality so some of the writing on the slides may not be clear. The lecture powerpoint slides don't always match the notes you will have, so as a rule of thumb you should always watch the videos if you don't go to class. Graduate classes are not recorded, but you can bring in a tape recorder to get audio.

I personally highly recommend the program. It's extremely challenging and stressful, but it prepares you for the stress you'll have to deal with in med school. During this year you will learn to study better, manage your time, identify your strengths and weaknesses, and learn how to prioritize.

Sorry about the long-winded message, but if you have any other questions let me know and don't hesitate to email Dr. Walker ([email protected]).

take care and good luck!

my application has been complete since Nov and last time I checked..which was last week I was told that my application has been sent for review a week prior-no word on when I should expect to hear anything. All one can do now is wait :scared: oh yea, :eek:and worry.

RPGZAV do you know what the approx. GPA and Mcat score of students who have been accepted. I know the website says min.gpa is 2.9 and mcat score of 20. but min requriments and actual states of students getting in are two diff. things.

Don't get too caught up on the numbers, they look at more than that for the program..but feel free to email Dr. Walker if you are curious about last year's stats or your specific situation. I didn't know everyone's numbers going in.

Also keep in mind that the med school is still working on solidifying the class of 2012, so that may be why they are taking a while to get together DPMS interviews.

Good luck everyone.

well i got a post card saying my app was complete im just waiting good luck btw i got an interview to ohio state not rubbin it in just letting u guys know that you still got a shot an i hope i get to practice medicine aswell as all of you. good luck

So i think i finally know what was wronmg with Drexel not getting my transcriopts....they are under my maiden name, so they have not been able to match them to my application :confused:...its finally fixed...i think
btw does anyone know when the interviews are?

Garfpa I am glad that you finally got that sorted out!

I am not sure when interviews are but I would like to know too.

Garfpa I am glad that you finally got that sorted out!

I am not sure when interviews are but I would like to know too.

i looked at stuff from last yr and some people got interviews in april and others as late as may 31st! I hope I don't get to interview that late (if I get one :))...I already bought tickets to go on a trip!:p

I just got an interview invite via email for April 12th. yay! Good luck to you guys.

nothing here too. I applied early March, so it may still be early to tell. Does anyone know when would be the last day to get interview invites?

Thanks

well i think the very last day to apply is may 9. from last years forum it looks like ppl started hearing about acceptences in the first week of June. I am under the impression that Drexel holds of untill all the applicants have been reviewed/interviewed and then sends out acceptances all at the same time...oh and I believe I read somewhere that interviews are held up untill the last week of may........and one other thing, when I called Drexel and asked about last years stats its something like 120 apply...50 get interviewed for 25 spots (the school filled 23 of the 25 spots last year, meaning drexel is under no obligation to fill all 25 spots if it doesnt feel they have a qualified pool of apps, grrr)

Anyone get an interview invite yet?

not yet, but I am praying I get one soon!!!