This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredentist9105

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably? Most likely? Many people here aren't familiar with these programs. Call up NOVA if you have specific questions/want to show your interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's a superscore?
They take your highest scores from each section (if you took multiple SATs) to make the highest composite score. It's been a hot sec since I've even thought of the SAT haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't remember my high school GPA too well but that SAT blows my score out of the water. Although I may have had above a 3.5 GPA, you definitely have a shot at nova if I was able to get into their program ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I am an incoming senior right now, hoping to get into a 7 or 8 year dental program and I had a few questions about the likelihood of my acceptance. I have an SAT superscore of 2240 (CR: 670, Math 800, writing 770) and my GPA unweighted is a 3.4 and weighted is a 4.0. I know a lot of schools (like Nova Southeastern) required a 3.5 GPA for the programs but only a 1200 or 1300 (math + CR) score. My SAT is clearly above the requirements, but it seems as if my GPA is borderline.

Do you think I have a chance of getting accepted? NSU (Nova Southeastern) is my top choice, and I'd probably apply to their 8 year program. Here is their website listing the requirements that I mentioned Dual Admission Program | Dental | NSU Undergraduate Admissions

Thanks!
This is probably late to answer, but I'll answer it cuz I have D.A. at NSU for optometry. Tbh, you can use your weighted GPA, so that answers the GPA question. But, you might not get it if you don't have actual experience from shadowing. Like, when I applied, I had the 1500 bare minimum SAT scores and 4.556 GPA weighted and got it cuz I had over 100 hrs of shadowing while someone else had their AA (college academy) and she didn't get it. I know with dentistry, it's very competitive, so I would have to say you wouldn't if you don't have shadowing.

Also, as much as they say otherwise, D.A is more stress on the plate

I applied for Nova’s Dual dental program, attended an interview, and was not accepted. Here are my stats:

1330 SAT
4.7 weighted gpa
3.66 unweighted gpa
Class rank 52/580

I heard it’s a very competitive program with limited seats and others applying had amazing scores. Good luck to all!

I applied and interviewed for the dual admission program and I was accepted:

1270 SAT
4.1 weighted
3.6 unweighted
Class rank 29/671
Many ECs and strong recommendation letters

I got into the Nova Dual Dental Program. These are my stats:
1410 (super scored) SAT
3.4 Unweighted
4.3 Weighted
No class rank
Had a lot of shadowing and volunteer experience. I also had a lot of dental shadowing/internship experience.

The key consideration for early admission programs has less to do with metrics and more to do with maturity and determination/motivation of the applicant for choosing the field of study. Program directors are not particularly interested in choosing applicants who 3 years into the program are more interested in choosing an alternative field rather than dentistry.

Last edited:
I agree with doc toothache is what school AOs consider an important factor. They look not just into GPA, SAT, shadowing hours, volunteering hours or other ECs but also if the kid will continue attending dental school and completing their 7/8 program. Based on my knowledge for the past year, a significant no of kids drop from 7/8 yr programs during their UG. This is based on my daughter's recent acceptance into one of the nation's best 7 yr dental programs. My kid got accepted into NOVA this year but accepted another 7yr bio-dental program.