Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

i flew into montgomery and rented a car. if you are under 25, many companies charge an extra "underage fee". mine was through "National" and was an extra $25 per calendar day.

but you can sign up for free with USAA and there are a few companies that you can get that fee waived.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/ren...064720-VQ16-c-VQ6-18520692651&akredirect=true

i checked the atlanta airport and for my date flying from my city it was going to cost the same. just check around though. there is a shuttle service from atlanta to auburn, but then you also have to factor in a taxi to and from the interview and also the shuttle cost back. it'll likely be cheaper to just rent a car (even without the underage fee).

they are looking for fun, intelligent applicants just like any other med school. (2) thirty minute interviews. both open file, so they will see grades and MCAT. my first talked about grades for maybe 5-10 minutes (there was some confusion on how my school grades labs) and then we got into my ECs and story time.

my second was a bit more serious and got into why DO and then i actually got asked a medical question believe it or not haha. dr. coffey proposed a patient who came in with back pain, what would i do first? if you get dr. coffey and you get a question like this, suggest OMM. i was naive and it caught me off guard so i just talked about scans, exam, etc. but he is the head of the OMM so suggest any number of things. he certainly wasn't mad or put off that i suggested scans and even said "i didn't expect you to have a perfect answer".

i wouldnt' consider either interview to be stressful (anymore than it already is) but the medical question caught me off guard. no ethical questions in my interviews.

everyone down there on staff is super nice and warm. enjoy your day. not really any lengthy walking (tour done by van) so don't need to worry about shoes too much.

Thank you baxt1412, your posts are very helpful :)
You mentioned story time with one of your interviewers, I am not sure what u mean? lol

Also, I haven't received my interview agenda yet, how long is the interview day? What time interview begins and ends?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
-The interview was from around 8-2 pm if I remember correctly. I left that night so you could book a night flight and be fine. When is your interview

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you baxt1412, your posts are very helpful :)
You mentioned story time with one of your interviewers, I am not sure what u mean? lol

glad i could help, especially with helping people's experience at a school that i loved.

well my first interviewer (jokingly) asked me what steroids i was on. i could tell from there it was going to be a pretty relaxed interview haha. we talked about my experience as an RA, my PS (familial cancer is rampant), my current job, etc. but it was very conversational, not like a regurgitation of my application... which is why i chose to describe it as story time. we got off on lots of tangents and it was okay to do so.

=====================================

idk if this has been mentioned before in the thread or not, but as Auburn campus students, we would be essentially limited to the AL/GA rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year per Jasmine whom I just emailed about it because I was wondering about that. But we would have access to the international rotations and on my interview day, they mentioned that we would have lots of local outreach including the Auburn student health clinic, possibly those mini-med school summer dates for local high school students, womens health clinics, etc. not to mention being able to do OMM and other types of stuff for the Auburn athletes pre-, intra-, and post-game (was told football isn't 100% on board at this point but they are working on it.. other sports are a go)

Last edited:
-The interview was from around 8-2 pm if I remember correctly. I left that night so you could book a night flight and be fine. When is your interview
next week! lol I just found out this morning =]

glad i could help, especially with helping people's experience at a school that i loved.

well my first interviewer (jokingly) asked me what steroids i was on. i could tell from there it was going to be a pretty relaxed interview haha. we talked about my experience as an RA, my PS (familial cancer is rampant), my current job, etc. but it was very conversational, not like a regurgitation of my application... which is why i chose to describe it as story time. we got off on lots of tangents and it was okay to do so.

=====================================

idk if this has been mentioned before in the thread or not, but as Auburn campus students, we would be essentially limited to the AL/GA rotation sites for 3rd and 4th year per Jasmine whom I just emailed about it because I was wondering about that. But we would have access to the international rotations and on my interview day, they mentioned that we would have lots of local outreach including the Auburn student health clinic, possibly those mini-med school summer dates for local high school students, womens health clinics, etc. not to mention being able to do OMM and other types of stuff for the Auburn athletes pre-, intra-, and post-game (was told football isn't 100% on board at this point but they are working on it.. other sports are a go)

great. I love being part of community outreach programs that are designed to help populations that need most medical attention. wold love to go here :)

next week! lol I just found out this morning =]

I would definitely agree with what the others have been telling you about the interview. They are very calm and relaxed. The interviewers are very versed in you application. I know during my interview I really had the sense that the interviewers really sat down and took the time to look over my application and asked very specific questions that pertained to it. To me this just underlined the seriousness of the interview as well as how they are really making the effort to get to know the potential student that they have in front of them. Dont be alarmed but the best way to "be prepared" for your interview would be to just go back and print the app that you submitted to just refresh yourself on what you stated. The entire interview is about you so be proud and fill in any gaps from your app with your own unique flair. Sorry to type so much but I just wanted to drive home the fact that the interview is a time for you to shine and cement the positive vibes that the admission board already has for you by inviting you there in the first place. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely agree with what the others have been telling you about the interview. They are very calm and relaxed. The interviewers are very versed in you application. I know during my interview I really had the sense that the interviewers really sat down and took the time to look over my application and asked very specific questions that pertained to it. To me this just underlined the seriousness of the interview as well as how they are really making the effort to get to know the potential student that they have in front of them. Dont be alarmed but the best way to "be prepared" for your interview would be to just go back and print the app that you submitted to just refresh yourself on what you stated. The entire interview is about you so be proud and fill in any gaps from your app with your own unique flair. Sorry to type so much but I just wanted to drive home the fact that the interview is a time for you to shine and cement the positive vibes that the admission board already has for you by inviting you there in the first place. ;)
Perfectly said

Members don't see this ad :)
So on a lighter note, students that attend here, will they be treated as fellow Tigers by AU students? Because War Eagle lol.

Lol yes ;) we have full access to everything. They won't even know we are any different lol

So on a lighter note, students that attend here, will they be treated as fellow Tigers by AU students? Because War Eagle lol.

I think you got the low down on that. :) Nice meeting you; have fun touring Auburn tomorrow and during your interview Wednesday. LMK if you need anything.

Hey everyone, So I submitted my primaries back at the beginning of October and have been getting sporadic emails basically just saying that they're being reviewed, but I haven't heard about a secondary invite or any other informative communications with them. Should I be concerned at this point?

Hey everyone, So I submitted my primaries back at the beginning of October and have been getting sporadic emails basically just saying that they're being reviewed, but I haven't heard about a secondary invite or any other informative communications with them. Should I be concerned at this point?
Hey, call! And keep calling until you get an answer (obviously not annoyingly, but persistently). Don't be worried, but hurry because time is ticking... I don't have the number off hand but Google vcom auburn admissions office and look for jasmine Oliver

Hey, call! And keep calling until you get an answer (obviously not annoyingly, but persistently). Don't be worried, but hurry because time is ticking... I don't have the number off hand but Google vcom auburn admissions office and look for jasmine Oliver

I'll do just that first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for that heads up.

I.I. for 12/10. I have a final the same day at 2.30. No pressure or anything. :)

Reactions: 3 users
deposit and form dropped in mail today along with completing the background check.

it hurt so bad to write that check.

I swear I felt a piece of my soul leave my body.

@ baxt1412 --

I did the same today. So, yeah me too....:)

Reactions: 2 users
71 degrees, occasional clouds this week in Auburn. Half of my Jeep friends took off their doors over the weekend LOL.

War Eagle!

champs.jpg

stadium.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Long-time lurker here, but I finally have good news so I figured I'd post. A little about me: 24yo male, trad, 3.4cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 26 MCAT (8,8,10)

Got a call today around 3pm from Jasmine. First interview!! Scheduled for 12/9... which is NEXT TUESDAY. Holy crap! Not only is this surprising because it's literally 5 days away, but I also completed my secondary on Nov 31st. That's a hella fast turnaround!
Who else is interviewing on the 9th?

Reactions: 5 users
Long-time lurker here, but I finally have good news so I figured I'd post. A little about me: 24yo male, trad, 3.4cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 26 MCAT (8,8,10)

Got a call today around 3pm from Jasmine. First interview!! Scheduled for 12/9... which is NEXT TUESDAY. Holy crap! Not only is this surprising because it's literally 5 days away, but I also completed my secondary on Nov 31st. That's a hella fast turnaround!
Who else is interviewing on the 9th?

Congrats! :) did you get a complete email on Nov 31st or is that when you submitted?

Congrats! :) did you get a complete email on Nov 31st or is that when you submitted?
The 31st is when I submitted. I got the complete email on the 2nd, two days before I got the i.i.

Lol. I'm assuming it should have been Oct 31st. Otherwise, the only question going through my mind is where is I.I. Congrats @2wheel !
Haha! I can't read a calendar... It was Nov 30th.
I honestly don't know why I got a call, and especially so quickly. I have a few blemishes on my app *shrug* Hope everyone else starts getting calls too!!

Haha! I can't read a calendar... It was Nov 30th.
I honestly don't know why I got a call, and especially so quickly. I have a few blemishes on my app *shrug* Hope everyone else starts getting calls too!!

You got called on a Sunday?

Just to clarify:

The deposit can be paid online right? And the background check is also completed online? So the only thing that needs to be mailed is the SIGNED acceptance letter, correct?

Am I missing anything?

Just to clarify:

The deposit can be paid online right? And the background check is also completed online? So the only thing that needs to be mailed is the SIGNED acceptance letter, correct?

Am I missing anything?

The deposit needs to be paid by check and mailed along with the acceptance letter, but the background check is paid and completed online.

Where do you guys recommend going for BLS certification? Does VCOM accept online class certifications?

Where do you guys recommend going for BLS certification? Does VCOM accept online class certifications?

I think there has to be some sort of in person exam.. But not sure. Just follow the link they give on the class of 2018 (not the 2019 since it isn't up yet) page.

Mine is at my local allo hospital

My interview is tomorrow morning, so ... genius here decides to do a practice run of getting to the Kinesiology building, parking etc. I showed up at 9:15AM, thinking everyone would be in the intro session until 9:30AM. Well, what do you know? Mrs. Oliver and 6ish applicants literally cross the parking lot 30 feet in front of me. And my vehicle isn't exactly anonymous (right, Veebs?). I felt so busted! Six-point turn in a two lane entrance, and then off to find cover for 5 minutes. I figure all is clear and I then I drive to the Athletic Department for a 10:00AM meeting. Guess what? The group is again crossing a parking lot in front of me, probably to look at the NC trophy and such in the Athletic Department. I park in the structure and then have to walk the length of the parking lot--passing floor-to-ceiling windows--to get to my entrance. File that under "awkward!" Just thought I would share for a good laugh. :)

So here's a question for all of you. My parking pass permits me to park in the lot directly in front of the building. Do I park there and wait for the group to arrive (much easier for me), or should I park with the rest of the candidates and take the shuttle to the building? I have a final that I have to run to after the interview session, so it might be good to be on my own power/schedule. But, I don't want to unnecessarily call attention to myself, and ... IDK ... I don't want to breach any protocol.

Thanks for the input!

My interview is tomorrow morning, so ... genius here decides to do a practice run of getting to the Kinesiology building, parking etc. I showed up at 9:15AM, thinking everyone would be in the intro session until 9:30AM. Well, what do you know? Mrs. Oliver and 6ish applicants literally cross the parking lot 30 feet in front of me. And my vehicle isn't exactly anonymous (right, Veebs?). I felt so busted! Six-point turn in a two lane entrance, and then off to find cover for 5 minutes. I figure all is clear and I then I drive to the Athletic Department for a 10:00AM meeting. Guess what? The group is again crossing a parking lot in front of me, probably to look at the NC trophy and such in the Athletic Department. I park in the structure and then have to walk the length of the parking lot--passing floor-to-ceiling windows--to get to my entrance. File that under "awkward!" Just thought I would share for a good laugh. :)

So here's a question for all of you. My parking pass permits me to park in the lot directly in front of the building. Do I park there and wait for the group to arrive (much easier for me), or should I park with the rest of the candidates and take the shuttle to the building? I have a final that I have to run to after the interview session, so it might be good to be on my own power/schedule. But, I don't want to unnecessarily call attention to myself, and ... IDK ... I don't want to breach any protocol.

Thanks for the input!

if you have a pass, you can park anywhere. but I would take the shuttle so people aren't wondering why you're special and get to just show up to the kinesiology building lol.

Thanks for the input!
Haha well at least that shows you cared enough to check it out beforehand. I'd call jasmine and tell her your situation.. If you don't get to speak to her before tomorrow, take the shuttle. If you do, definitely just meet them on campus! People won't care and we are all understanding of the fact that you're a current Auburn student and have an exam. However, our first spot wasn't to see the trophy... We went for an intro meeting!

Mailed my check and acceptance off today. Kind of exciting!

I do have one other med school interview at SOMA, but it's not until February 2015. God is in control.