Torshammer

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2016
So what schools still have spots open and interviews to come at this point? any?

I have received a couple of interviews this cycle, and I thought that some of my interviews went extremely well. unfortunately, I did not receive any offers for positions. I really don't know if there was much I could have done differently. I truly thought I would get in based on how my interviews went, but maybe I don't have a good comprehension of what the programs are really looking for... Would it be appropriate to contact the schools I had interviewed at to ask for feedback? If so, through what medium? email? phone call? What about the schools that did not extend an invitation to interview?

I don't want to annoy anybody, I just want to avoid going through this process too many times... while interviewing, there seemed to be vast differences in what the interviewers were looking for. At some, they literally just combed through my application and asked me questions to verify that everything was true and that was it. At others, it was as if they had never seen my application and wanted me to brag about myself and to prove that I am already somewhat competent in endo, and at others, it seemed like they already knew more about my application than I did (didn't want to talk about it) and just wanted to see if I was an agreeable person.

This process has made me realize that there is a lot of variation in terms of what program directors are looking for, and what the program focusses on.
I believe Case Western interviews in October, so invites may not even have been sent yet. I think depending on the program director's approachability, it is appropriate to contact program directors for feedback. At one program I interviewed at, current residents encouraged us to do this.

allDAT

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Dentist
So what schools still have spots open and interviews to come at this point? any?

I have received a couple of interviews this cycle, and I thought that some of my interviews went extremely well. unfortunately, I did not receive any offers for positions. I really don't know if there was much I could have done differently. I truly thought I would get in based on how my interviews went, but maybe I don't have a good comprehension of what the programs are really looking for... Would it be appropriate to contact the schools I had interviewed at to ask for feedback? If so, through what medium? email? phone call? What about the schools that did not extend an invitation to interview?

I don't want to annoy anybody, I just want to avoid going through this process too many times... while interviewing, there seemed to be vast differences in what the interviewers were looking for. At some, they literally just combed through my application and asked me questions to verify that everything was true and that was it. At others, it was as if they had never seen my application and wanted me to brag about myself and to prove that I am already somewhat competent in endo, and at others, it seemed like they already knew more about my application than I did (didn't want to talk about it) and just wanted to see if I was an agreeable person.

This process has made me realize that there is a lot of variation in terms of what program directors are looking for, and what the program focusses on.

I would call the director and ask. Some may get back to you, some may not. You may want to send an email to setup a time to talk.

At this point in your career just try and find out what you need to know so you can make an informed decision regarding your next step so you can either commit to being a GP or pursuing a specialty without wondering if you did everything you could have to try and specialize.

Jul 13, 2019
Status
Dentist
Hello, I have done gpr, aegd, one year private practice, gpa 3.1 ranked last third of class.

I applied this year, no interviews, currently studying for ADAT, just joined AAE

Should I consider doing masters in oral biology and endo oriented research? Many ppl telling me waste of time, and not necessarily a guarantee.

Please let me know your thoughts or if I should be posting this on another thread.
Thank you

FutureDent020

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
Hello, I have done gpr, aegd, one year private practice, gpa 3.1 ranked last third of class.

I applied this year, no interviews, currently studying for ADAT, just joined AAE

Should I consider doing masters in oral biology and endo oriented research? Many ppl telling me waste of time, and not necessarily a guarantee.

Please let me know your thoughts or if I should be posting this on another thread.
Thank you
Do NOT do a masters in oral biology if the only reason is to improve your chances. Go use your dental degree and make money. Join AAE, learn more about Endo, go to AAE meetings, but hell no don’t get another degree. Even if you can’t get into a graduate Endodontics program you can still take a bunch of CE, study the literature and practice as much Endo as you want.

allDAT

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Dentist

Thank you
I would reiterate what future dent said. I don't think a masters in oral bio will improve your odds. You can't change or fix your class rank which will exclude you from several programs immediately, but you can get an interview or two with a class rank in the lower 1/3. Getting an interview is not the same as an acceptance though and the deck is still going to be stacked against you. A few more years of experience will be beneficial, and you should probably try to do something of significance for the profession in the next one or two years to supplement your CV.

If you want to go back to school, an endo externship may be a good decision. Loma Linda has one, but it's expensive and I don't know if you really get to advance your skill set much, but you do get to interact with people who may be able to help you secure an interview...I believe that would be better than a masters in oral biology.

Doing well on the ADAT is probably a must for you if your plan is to try again next cycle.

Good luck!

Reactions: rifrafero

zriceman

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2005
Status

Thank you
I did GPR and ranked in the bottom half with a similar GPA. I am an endodontist now. I would focus on the ADAT, join the AAE, and visit some programs while you work as a GP. Take CE courses on endo. Go to AAE meetings and speak with some program directors. All this will cost time and money, which is why you should work in private practice while beefing up your application. Apply broad and you may get lucky like me.

Jun 22, 2019
Status
Dental Student
I just got an email confirmation from BU that my application is complete even though i paid my fees and everything early July. that's odd. did anyone experience the same thing? I called them mid July and they said my application was complete. just curious so I know next year.

allDAT

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Dentist
I just got an email confirmation from BU that my application is complete even though i paid my fees and everything early July. that's odd. did anyone experience the same thing? I called them mid July and they said my application was complete. just curious so I know next year.
They probably just waited to send out this email for admin purposes or someone forgot to do it earlier in the cycle. Some programs wait to process the “complete” emails and letters until their published deadlines.

Jun 22, 2019
Status
Dental Student
They probably just waited to send out this email for admin purposes or someone forgot to do it earlier in the cycle. Some programs wait to process the “complete” emails and letters until their published deadlines.
Thanks!

Sep 16, 2019
Status
Dentist
Speaking of BU, are they done with their acceptances? I interviewed last month and it's been radio silence from them ever since. I'm assuming since most other schools are filled, BU has to be as well? :1confused: