Endodontic Residency Interviews 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Marquette sending rejections

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back from Columbia after interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I stand a shot at endo?
Stats:

-Will have had 4 years of experience in the navy
- gpa: 3.63
- 3rd year cumulative class rank: 43/81
-4th year cumulative class rank : 53/81

Not planning on taking the adat.

Stats:

I think you probably have a shot, but take the ADAT.

Your experience will be looked upon favorably. Your class rank will hurt you at some programs but will not exclude you from all of them. Most important thing is probably trying to get to know someone who is a direct contact to one of the directors who can get your application flagged for consideration.

Good topic for another thread.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you probably have a shot, but take the ADAT.

Your experience will be looked upon favorably. Your class rank will hurt you at some programs but will not exclude you from all of them. Most important thing is probably trying to get to know someone who is a direct contact to one of the directors who can get your application flagged for consideration.

Good topic for another thread.

+1 for ADAT if you have an average class rank

Just curious if your suggestion to take the ADAT is an opinion or have you heard that chairs/ directors are recommending it?

Just an opinion because it seems like more programs are looking at it now. Doing well on it would make an applicant stand out.

Anyone hear from usc post interview?
Sorry, If they wanted to offer you a slot they would contact you in 24 hrs. , but if they have a hard time finding quality residents they may call and offer you a slot in the future which is why you're getting radio silence.

Reactions: 1 user
Stats:

Having 4 years experience should have given you a bunch of contacts to Endo programs and directors if you have been working towards this for a few years. I am in a similar situation and have been given an endo slot this year. Worse grades than you, took the ADAT, emailed and have been talking directly to program admin and directors for the past 6 months. Good luck!

Having 4 years experience should have given you a bunch of contacts to Endo programs and directors if you have been working towards this for a few years. I am in a similar situation and have been given an endo slot this year. Worse grades than you, took the ADAT, emailed and have been talking directly to program admin and directors for the past 6 months. Good luck!

Any advice on how to build the relationship with the directors? What have you directly been talking to them about? Will they offer suggestions on how to better your app?

I applied to only a small number of programs this year and only got one interview but never heard back from the program so unsure what I could’ve done better.

Any advice on how to build the relationship with the directors? What have you directly been talking to them about? Will they offer suggestions on how to better your app?

I applied to only a small number of programs this year and only got one interview but never heard back from the program so unsure what I could’ve done better.
I hear that attending AAE and meeting directors is a good way. Also, visiting the program is another good way to learn about the program and talk to directors. It’s really about the connections you have. I didn’t take the ADAT and it wasn’t a problem for me to get interviews and an acceptance. It’s about who you know and how you present yourself.

I hear that attending AAE and meeting directors is a good way. Also, visiting the program is another good way to learn about the program and talk to directors. It’s really about the connections you have. I didn’t take the ADAT and it wasn’t a problem for me to get interviews and an acceptance. It’s about who you know and how you present yourself.
I think your advice is fine, but I don’t want people to thinking communication with directors or programs is a must. If you feel like your app may be lacking overall, then yea, I would make a strong effort to learn about programs and communicate with them. And as you said, being a member of the AAE and attending the conference can help a lot. Speak to the students at their poster board presentations. Ask questions about the school. Use that knowledge during the app process. I did all this. I never reached out to schools or communicated with faculty. Got interviews to 9/10 programs I applied to. Not trying to flex, just the truth. Didn’t take the ADAT either. Everyone’s process is different. And in support of your advice, I also know people that probably only got in because of their relationship with the director and program.

Reactions: 2 users
No interviews yet- so safe to say this cycle is officially over for us who weren't so lucky, right?

No interviews yet- so safe to say this cycle is officially over for us who weren't so lucky, right?

I think so...it looks like a couple programs have an interview in a few days according to this thread, but it’s unlikely a spot would open up during one of those dates at this point.

It’s a tough process. Many/most candidates are really qualified and it’s hard to separate yourself from the long list of other apps.

Any updates on Case Western? Have interviews been sent out?

I called boston they said they filled all CAGS seats for 2020 Endodontics program.

Reactions: 2 users
So what schools still have spots open and interviews to come at this point? any?

I have received a couple of interviews this cycle, and I thought that some of my interviews went extremely well. unfortunately, I did not receive any offers for positions. I really don't know if there was much I could have done differently. I truly thought I would get in based on how my interviews went, but maybe I don't have a good comprehension of what the programs are really looking for... Would it be appropriate to contact the schools I had interviewed at to ask for feedback? If so, through what medium? email? phone call? What about the schools that did not extend an invitation to interview?

I don't want to annoy anybody, I just want to avoid going through this process too many times... while interviewing, there seemed to be vast differences in what the interviewers were looking for. At some, they literally just combed through my application and asked me questions to verify that everything was true and that was it. At others, it was as if they had never seen my application and wanted me to brag about myself and to prove that I am already somewhat competent in endo, and at others, it seemed like they already knew more about my application than I did (didn't want to talk about it) and just wanted to see if I was an agreeable person.

This process has made me realize that there is a lot of variation in terms of what program directors are looking for, and what the program focusses on.

So what schools still have spots open and interviews to come at this point? any?

I have received a couple of interviews this cycle, and I thought that some of my interviews went extremely well. unfortunately, I did not receive any offers for positions. I really don't know if there was much I could have done differently. I truly thought I would get in based on how my interviews went, but maybe I don't have a good comprehension of what the programs are really looking for... Would it be appropriate to contact the schools I had interviewed at to ask for feedback? If so, through what medium? email? phone call? What about the schools that did not extend an invitation to interview?

I don't want to annoy anybody, I just want to avoid going through this process too many times... while interviewing, there seemed to be vast differences in what the interviewers were looking for. At some, they literally just combed through my application and asked me questions to verify that everything was true and that was it. At others, it was as if they had never seen my application and wanted me to brag about myself and to prove that I am already somewhat competent in endo, and at others, it seemed like they already knew more about my application than I did (didn't want to talk about it) and just wanted to see if I was an agreeable person.

This process has made me realize that there is a lot of variation in terms of what program directors are looking for, and what the program focusses on.

I believe Case Western interviews in October, so invites may not even have been sent yet. I think depending on the program director's approachability, it is appropriate to contact program directors for feedback. At one program I interviewed at, current residents encouraged us to do this.

I would call the director and ask. Some may get back to you, some may not. You may want to send an email to setup a time to talk.

At this point in your career just try and find out what you need to know so you can make an informed decision regarding your next step so you can either commit to being a GP or pursuing a specialty without wondering if you did everything you could have to try and specialize.

Usc is almost done with the selection process. very few spots left

Hello, I have done gpr, aegd, one year private practice, gpa 3.1 ranked last third of class.

I applied this year, no interviews, currently studying for ADAT, just joined AAE

Should I consider doing masters in oral biology and endo oriented research? Many ppl telling me waste of time, and not necessarily a guarantee.

Please let me know your thoughts or if I should be posting this on another thread.
Thank you

Hello, I have done gpr, aegd, one year private practice, gpa 3.1 ranked last third of class.

I applied this year, no interviews, currently studying for ADAT, just joined AAE

Should I consider doing masters in oral biology and endo oriented research? Many ppl telling me waste of time, and not necessarily a guarantee.

Please let me know your thoughts or if I should be posting this on another thread.
Thank you
Do NOT do a masters in oral biology if the only reason is to improve your chances. Go use your dental degree and make money. Join AAE, learn more about Endo, go to AAE meetings, but hell no don’t get another degree. Even if you can’t get into a graduate Endodontics program you can still take a bunch of CE, study the literature and practice as much Endo as you want.

Thank you

I would reiterate what future dent said. I don't think a masters in oral bio will improve your odds. You can't change or fix your class rank which will exclude you from several programs immediately, but you can get an interview or two with a class rank in the lower 1/3. Getting an interview is not the same as an acceptance though and the deck is still going to be stacked against you. A few more years of experience will be beneficial, and you should probably try to do something of significance for the profession in the next one or two years to supplement your CV.

If you want to go back to school, an endo externship may be a good decision. Loma Linda has one, but it's expensive and I don't know if you really get to advance your skill set much, but you do get to interact with people who may be able to help you secure an interview...I believe that would be better than a masters in oral biology.

Doing well on the ADAT is probably a must for you if your plan is to try again next cycle.

Good luck!