ETSU vs UT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blizzard18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to weigh all the pros and cons between going to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and ETSU (Quillen). So far this is what I've come to but I want other opinions. I loved everything about Quillen more than UT when it comes to the city, the campus, how student oriented they are and seem to care if you succeed, the price, and the increased likelihood of getting a scholarship. UT seems to have an edge when it comes to the fact that they drill you harder and faster in coarse work and you learn more, higher board pass rate, more specialized residency matches with higher percentages of getting first choice (although they have twice as many students so this is a factor when it comes to percentages), way more opportunity in clinical experience during year 3 and 4, and the fact that I could return to chattanooga in those years (thats where I want to live and work I think). Any opinions, or am I wrong about anything?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to weigh all the pros and cons between going to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and ETSU (Quillen). So far this is what I've come to but I want other opinions. I loved everything about Quillen more than UT when it comes to the city, the campus, how student oriented they are and seem to care if you succeed, the price, and the increased likelihood of getting a scholarship. UT seems to have an edge when it comes to the fact that they drill you harder and faster in coarse work and you learn more, higher board pass rate, more specialized residency matches with higher percentages of getting first choice (although they have twice as many students so this is a factor when it comes to percentages), way more opportunity in clinical experience during year 3 and 4, and the fact that I could return to chattanooga in those years (thats where I want to live and work I think). Any opinions, or am I wrong about anything?

IMO your most important debate should be between happiness in the city and tuition price vs. the structure of 3rd year. The former is self explanatory but let me explain what I mean by 3rd year. At my school our 3rd year is set in stone with the core rotations and we don't get electives until 4th year, which def limits exposure to certain subspecialties. This may be an issue for you personally depending on how these 2 schools differ in that regard. I wouldn't pay much attention to the " harder and faster in coarse work" and higher board pass rates. Step 1 is highly individual in performance as most of us ultimately learn from the same sources. Now the higher board pass rate may be attributable to the level of students UT brings in vs ETSU which may say something about the perception of the school and therefore help once the match comes but I am neither that familiar with the 2 schools nor believe it will make much difference. Finally, being happy in the city you will be is important because the first 2 years you will be largely self studying and have a lot of free time to pursue hobbies.

Also, you seem to imply that u won't be able to do rotations in Chattanooga If you go to ETSU. You still should be able to if that is what you were implying.

Reactions: 1 user

Specialized residency matches mean nothing... in fact, match lists are pretty useless all around except for maybe the location of IM matches.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go with whichever place you have a better gut feeling for. There is no difference in the education you'll get at UT vs ETSU. If you, like most people, would hate living in Memphis, head to ETSU. I hear it's super pretty there.