This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrphanedDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will preface by saying you're going to read this and probably say yikes. That is fine but its too late now I decided that I'm applying this cycle what matters here now is strategy to overcome my 1% chance of getting in. So I will do my best to give a picture of me as an applicant then give me your best insight possible.

MCAT Taking in 2 weeks probably will be in the 510 ball park wanted 520 but I make a lot of mistakes (content is pretty good so I'm giving up no point in pushing my exam if i don't miss questions due to content lol and 510 isn't terrible for most people except me lol) (scored 1 518 on a practice exam so may have a lucky exam idk)

GPA: ~3.0 (Real GPA 3.6 but I have a lot of retakes) Freshman year GPA: 1.6 Soph: 3.9 Jun: 3.8 Sen: 3.6 All of these are calculated with the retakes and are the ones the medical school will see.
Science GPA: 2.8 Undergrad not anything grad (similar trend)
Undergrad Degree: Biomedical Science
Masters in Biomedical Neuroscience GPA: 3.9

Background:
African American
Former foster child since 3 months of age (so a nice way of saying orphan lol, no parents)
200 hours clinical volunteering (ED/surgical)
Volunteering with foster kids
Volunteering with my neurology organization: 200 hours
Teach high school kids neuroscience
Tutoring of all ages
Social entrepreneurship chief of staff exec board member for a semester.
SI for organic chemistry (a different type of tutoring this was paid)
About 30 hours of shadowing (hard for me to find doctors) 2 specialties neurology private practice, and the clinic hours for a hand surgeon
300 hours of clinical research (maybe more need to verify) working with radiologist with a letter of rec from the research coordinator
My other two are from a PhD prof, and a MD/Ph D.

Personal statement: Still in the works willing to share of course if you think it helps.

Hobbies:
Competitive low-level basketball player

Will any schools even take me to the interview stage lol?

Also most will recommend DO. This is fine I will apply to a few so suggestions are nice, HOWEVER as a foster child my medical school will be paid for if i get in before I am 28. Currently 23. So I have a few tries for a public medical school which is required for them to pay it and it has to be in my respective state. This is Florida. These school are my primary focus, I am not rich and even with FAP this cycle will be taxing financially but I can take care of that if I can get one to even consider my app. A few school representatives have talked with me but they don't know my app so they're in for a surprise but did my best to leave a good impression.

I earnestly want to learn how to heal others and spend my life doing it, I was very hesitant to pursue this but this is honestly the only thing i want to do. I don't know, wish I knew before I started college lol.

Didn't decide to pursue this until around my junior year. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.