Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a ~3.35sGPA/~3.45cGPA...pending MCAT...should I retake a science class or two? I got a sub 3 in both sem's of gen bio and gen chem.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a ~3.35sGPA/~3.45cGPA...pending MCAT...should I retake a science class or two? I got a sub 3 in both sem's of gen bio and gen chem.

are you applying this cycle? what were your AAMC FL mcat practice scores?

i don't think a 3.35 sGPA will keep you from getting in somewhere.

are you applying this cycle? what were your AAMC FL mcat practice scores?

i don't think a 3.35 sGPA will keep you from getting in somewhere.
Ill be applying next cycle. I scored ~25 my first 3 tests (6's in verbal)...fixed it kinda...and scored 28's and a 27 the other tests with one 24 (AAMC#10...rough scale). My scores were everywhere. This past MCAT was harder than any MCAT I'd ever taken. My score will prob's be 23<x<27 if I were to guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill be applying next cycle. I scored ~25 my first 3 tests (6's in verbal)...fixed it kinda...and scored 28's and a 27 the other tests with one 24 (AAMC#10...rough scale). My scores were everywhere. This past MCAT was harder than any MCAT I'd ever taken. My score will prob's be 23<x<27 if I were to guess.

well since you aren't applying this cycle you have some good time to wait for that MCAT and see what you got.

if you could get a 27, i think you'd probably be fine with your GPA. but if you're going to get a 23 I would strongly suggest retaking the MCAT and also a couple of classes.
if you've got the money and time to retake the classes, it coudl enver hurt your app unless you do worse lol :p i suggest starting with science requirements for most schools (bio, chem, etc) and starting with your lowest grades. don't worry about Ws (if applicable)

well since you aren't applying this cycle you have some good time to wait for that MCAT and see what you got.

if you could get a 27, i think you'd probably be fine with your GPA. but if you're going to get a 23 I would strongly suggest retaking the MCAT and also a couple of classes.
if you've got the money and time to retake the classes, it coudl enver hurt your app unless you do worse lol :p i suggest starting with science requirements for most schools (bio, chem, etc) and starting with your lowest grades. don't worry about Ws (if applicable)
What do you think the lowest MCAT score I could get without having to retake anything??

What do you think the lowest MCAT score I could get without having to retake anything??

i don't think you'd be in a terrible boat with 26-27. but it's all so subjective as it depends on your ECs and interview as well. obviously you won't have your choice of medical schools with your current GPA, and not with a 27 on it's own either, but i'm willing to bet you'd get in a few places with a 27, your GPA, and assuming good ECs and interviewing and appropriate application breadth.

if you take one piece of advice though, submit DAY 1 and you could even start working on secondaries now or over winter break. obviously you will be able to edit them to include any newer information by the time you're ready to submit, but that will be such a time saver and will help you out a ton if you could submit those the day they are available to you.

watch that sGPA though, i bet some schools auto-screen below a 3.25

i don't think you'd be in a terrible boat with 26-27. but it's all so subjective as it depends on your ECs and interview as well. obviously you won't have your choice of medical schools with your current GPA, and not with a 27 on it's own either, but i'm willing to bet you'd get in a few places with a 27, your GPA, and assuming good ECs and interviewing and appropriate application breadth.

if you take one piece of advice though, submit DAY 1 and you could even start working on secondaries now or over winter break. obviously you will be able to edit them to include any newer information by the time you're ready to submit, but that will be such a time saver and will help you out a ton if you could submit those the day they are available to you.

watch that sGPA though, i bet some schools auto-screen below a 3.25
I'd say I have unique EC's, a good "comeback" story, a significant upward trend on my GPA, and solid LOR's. I have that going for me. I'd like to think I am a better than average interviewer as well + I dont get nervous easily. It's just the #'s that are holding me back. Honestly, a 27 would be a GODSEND but I think that score is very very unlikely. I think subbing Day 1 will be advantageous for myself (not only because its early-ness but because the new 2015 MCAT with more material to study...I think the app cycle will have much less applicants early on at least) and I 100% intend on prewriting secondaries. Fortunately, my top choices of schools are instate and considered "bottom tier" because their newness however I am not underestimating admissions by any stretch. Still worried about that MCAT and unsure what to do.

I'd say I have unique EC's, a good "comeback" story, a significant upward trend on my GPA, and solid LOR's. I have that going for me. I'd like to think I am a better than average interviewer as well + I dont get nervous easily. It's just the #'s that are holding me back. Honestly, a 27 would be a GODSEND but I think that score is very very unlikely. I think subbing Day 1 will be advantageous for myself (not only because its early-ness but because the new 2015 MCAT with more material to study...I think the app cycle will have much less applicants early on at least) and I 100% intend on prewriting secondaries. Fortunately, my top choices of schools are instate and considered "bottom tier" because their newness however I am not underestimating admissions by any stretch. Still worried about that MCAT and unsure what to do.

what are you unsure about? i mean don't take the test if you aren't ready. by ready i mean consistently scoring AT LEAST your desired score (within reason) on FL AAMC tests in testing conditions (no calculator, no eqn sheet, timed, etc). preferably, you'd want to be scoring a few points above your desired score (within reason) just in case you under-perform slightly.

since you are taking on 11/7, there may be a couple of january spots that open up that you could sign up for waiting to get your scores back.

what are you unsure about? i mean don't take the test if you aren't ready. by ready i mean consistently scoring AT LEAST your desired score (within reason) on FL AAMC tests in testing conditions (no calculator, no eqn sheet, timed, etc). preferably, you'd want to be scoring a few points above your desired score (within reason) just in case you under-perform slightly.

since you are taking on 11/7, there may be a couple of january spots that open up that you could sign up for waiting to get your scores back.
Sorry for the confusion, I already took the test oct25th. I took all of the AAMC FL's. Looking at the Official 10/25 thread, it looks like everyone found the test to be difficult more or less. The test wasn't anything like the FL's and was much more difficult. The other AAMC's I could predict my score. This one doe hahaha....ugh

pasting this here for convenience:

1. Quote the most recent post with the thread's poster's stats
2. Add your relevant stats at the end of the list
3. Delete the quote tags and post
4. If you have an II to add, simply repeat the procedure but update your spot in the list
-----------------------------------------------------------
*aspdr-3.75 cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 23 MCAT (VR<7).II at WVSOM, LMU-DCOM and PNWU
*Baxt1412 - 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 24 MCAT (8/7/9). II at UNMC (MD) and VCOM-Auburn
*OsteopathicHopeful- 3.44 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 22 MCAT (6/6/10)
*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM

Sorry for the confusion, I already took the test oct25th. I took all of the AAMC FL's. Looking at the Official 10/25 thread, it looks like everyone found the test to be difficult more or less. The test wasn't anything like the FL's and was much more difficult. The other AAMC's I could predict my score. This one doe hahaha....ugh

my bad i thought you were 11/7. i wouldn't worry about it until you get your score back. are you signed up for a back up retake though? if not, get looking for a spot in january or december. keep looking multiple times a day everyday if there are no spots. you may have to travel a bit. always want a backup for the 2014 version of the MCAT.

i wouldn't count on what people think about the test to determine what you think what your score was. just hold off until you receive your score.

my bad i thought you were 11/7. i wouldn't worry about it until you get your score back. are you signed up for a back up retake though? if not, get looking for a spot in january or december. keep looking multiple times a day everyday if there are no spots. you may have to travel a bit. always want a backup for the 2014 version of the MCAT.

i wouldn't count on what people think about the test to determine what you think what your score was. just hold off until you receive your score.
Yeah, i keep checking back for that retake just in case.
I considered other peoples opinions just to guage whether im an idiot or whether the test was actually hard and their might be a more lenient scale.

I still haven't received anything further about a secondary from VCOM. VCOM-VC was released 10/9 (received e-mail 10/10), VCOM-Auburn and VCOM-CC released 10/24. After tomorrow it will be three weeks since the original e-mail (said 2-3 weeks). I've e-mailed and called (left voicemail), but I can't seem to get anyone to reply. GPA and MCAT 3.53/24. It'd be really annoying if releasing the other two campuses later somehow prolonged the process, but that still doesn't explain why no one is getting back with me.

Finally heard back from CCOM...and rejected by snail mail lol.
hey buddy! I got an II from LMU n the next day, u get one as well. And u get a rejection by snail mail from CCOM and I get the same from CCOM too the next day lol!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey buddy! I got an II from LMU n the next day, u get one as well. And u get a rejection by snail mail from CCOM and I get the same from CCOM too the next day lol!

Haha, let me know when you get another ii :D

Driving to LMU right now. 3 hours to go!

Hi guys. Im in the same club 25 mcat score . Gpa 3.9 (NY RESIDENT)
Sent out secondary to

Nova -Done

Touro NY -DOne

Nyit-Done

Pcom-DOne

Rowan-Done

MUCOM-Done

ACOM- Done

got two more secondary ccom and comp idk if i should send them out.Any recommendation guys ? still waiting on vcom and lucom .

I still haven't received anything further about a secondary from VCOM. VCOM-VC was released 10/9 (received e-mail 10/10), VCOM-Auburn and VCOM-CC released 10/24. After tomorrow it will be three weeks since the original e-mail (said 2-3 weeks). I've e-mailed and called (left voicemail), but I can't seem to get anyone to reply. GPA and MCAT 3.53/24. It'd be really annoying if releasing the other two campuses later somehow prolonged the process, but that still doesn't explain why no one is getting back with me.

Looks like I spoke a half a day too soon - just received VCOM secondary invite to all campuses. Also completed secondary applications at LECOM, LECOM-B, and ACOM. A lot of these have pretty lengthy essays, I like that LECOM doesn't waste time making you submit everything if they aren't gonna interview you; I think every school should do it that way...

Reactions: 1 user
I think VCOM has been busy reviewing apps, they emailed me today asking me to update/revise a part of my secondary and to please send them my science faculty LOR in addition to what I already sent.

Hi guys. Im in the same club 25 mcat score . Gpa 3.9 (NY RESIDENT)
Sent out secondary to

Nova -Done

Touro NY -DOne

Nyit-Done

Pcom-DOne

Rowan-Done

MUCOM-Done

ACOM- Done

got two more secondary ccom and comp idk if i should send them out.Any recommendation guys ? still waiting on vcom and lucom .
Send whatever secondaries you want, the GPA should get you some looks.

Just got my II from ACOM today happy happy! My first semester of college I had family issues and had like a 1.83 total GPA. Enrolled into a different 4 year and ended with a 3.4 cGPA

Good luck to everyone and don't give up hope!! Go underdawgs!

4. If you have an II to add, simply repeat the procedure but update your spot in the list
*liquid hue 3.17cGPA, 3.26sGPA, 24 MCAT (8,8,8). II at ACOM
*aspdr-3.75 cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 23 MCAT (VR<7).II at WVSOM, LMU-DCOM and PNWU
*Baxt1412 - 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 24 MCAT (8/7/9). II at UNMC (MD) and VCOM-Auburn

*aspdr-3.75 cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 23 MCAT (VR<7).II at WVSOM, LMU-DCOM,PNWU and VCOM-CC

*aspdr-3.75 cGPA, 3.72sGPA, 23 MCAT (VR<7).II at WVSOM, LMU-DCOM,PNWU and VCOM-CC
Hey @aspdr .....you mind if I ask when you were verified and when you submitted secondaries to LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, and VCOM??? We have similar stats and I have filled out secondaries to these schools.....

Just got an interview at Central Michigan (MD)!!!

*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM, CMed (MD)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
congrats @Shinobiz11 that is awesome! I have my IS MD interview next friday

Just to confirm the secondary pre-screen for KCUMB.

It is 2 out of 3. I made the cut with a VR score of 6 this cycle (both GPAs barely above 3.25).

Just to confirm the secondary pre-screen for KCUMB.

It is 2 out of 3. I made the cut with a VR score of 6 this cycle (both GPAs barely above 3.25).

you're one step closer to being a student there now. i have to keep telling myself each step forward is what counts.

Reactions: 1 users
you're one step closer to being a student there now. i have to keep telling myself each step forward is what counts.

Yeah I know what you mean, the positivity is what keeps you alive in this process.

Just got the belated pre-secondary rejection from CUSOM. As others said they want at least a 24 with no less than a 7 in any one section.

Just got the belated pre-secondary rejection from CUSOM. As others said they want at least a 24 with no less than a 7 in any one section.
i barely squeaked by then. sorry you got rejected :(

I know your pain. Same happened to me.

@IslandStyle808 + @kalat : could it have been 'poorly' written secondaries (I dont mean that in a bad way)/secondaries that didn't fit what they wanted?? (instead of the sub 7 too though)

@IslandStyle808 + @kalat : could it have been 'poorly' written secondaries (I dont mean that in a bad way)/secondaries that didn't fit what they wanted?? (instead of the sub 7 too though)
he said pre-secondary! that means he did not even get the secondary application invite in the first place, right?

Last edited:

he said pre-secondary! that means he did not even get the secondary application invite in the first place, right?

Usually when people say pre-secondary it means rejected before secondary invite, so aspdr is correct. Last cycle I had sub 3.25 GPAs (VR=6), result: no secondary. This year had my GPAs above 3.25 (VR=6), result: secondary invite. The 2 out of 3 rule is legit.

EDIT: Referring to KCUMB

Last edited:
Pre-secondary is most likely always going to be cGPA, sGPA, composite MCAT, or a specific section score.

i doubt most schools even have a real person look at primary apps, i'm guessing most of the time it's going to be a computer algorithm checking AACOMAS for the above mentioned criteria and it auto-screens. idk, i could be wrong. might be more applicable at the huge MD schools

Accepted to DCOM!

*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM, CMed (MD) | Accepted LMU-DCOM!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Well...to keep you guys updated. I have been put on hold for MU-COM. Which is good news for me because they haven't rejected me yet and maybe I will get an ii later in the cycle :)

Congratulations @Shinobiz11 I'm really excited for you. I'm really interested in LMU-DCOM. I want to do their OPP/Anatomy Fellowship if I'm accepted there.

Well...to keep you guys updated. I have been put on hold for MU-COM. Which is good news for me because they haven't rejected me yet and maybe I will get an ii later in the cycle :)

Congratulations @Shinobiz11 I'm really excited for you. I'm really interested in LMU-DCOM. I want to do their OPP/Anatomy Fellowship if I'm accepted there.

Thanks. I came off the hold from MUCOM also, but wait listed after the interview. Best of luck!

Is it December 9th yet so I can get the results of my yeterday MCAT out to the schools? If it is worse than my original 24(it was a really tough test) do I stand a chance anywhere? Dont sugar coat it

Was accepted to OU-HCOM!!! 3.9 GPA 23 MCAT 7/8/8.
Also have 6 MD interviews. No other news from DO schools.

Is it December 9th yet so I can get the results of my yeterday MCAT out to the schools? If it is worse than my original 24(it was a really tough test) do I stand a chance anywhere? Dont sugar coat it
I hope not....cause then I don't stand a chance....my MCAT (22)

You never really know how badly you did until you get your scores back and are surprised. Honestly, my mcat was so bad that during the BS section I legit was dissociating and borderline unconsciously answering the questions. Result? 11BS.

I hope not....cause then I don't stand a chance....my MCAT (22)

I really do think you need to think about planning for a retake so that if things do get sour you can apply early next cycle.

You never really know how badly you did until you get your scores back and are surprised. Honestly, my mcat was so bad that during the BS section I legit was dissociating and borderline unconsciously answering the questions. Result? 11BS.

I really do think you need to think about planning for a retake so that if things do get sour you can apply early next cycle.
My problem is I just don't know when I will. I'm married with a son, my wife is pregnant, I'm taking 16 credits this semester, and working 3 jobs.....hahahaha. Needless to say I'm stretched to the max. If I retake it, it will have to be this spring

Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do better on a new, potentially harder test

There is a god watching over you.

*shinobiz11 - 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 24 (8/6/10) | ii MUCOM, LMU-DCOM, CMed (MD) | Accepted LMU-DCOM!
*williamsfan- 3.9 GPA 23 MCAT (7/8/8) | Accepted OU-HCOM