This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thejdtoyourturk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to start a discussion thread for this year's app cycle for Mt. Sinai's FlexMed program (http://icahn.mssm.edu/education/medical/admissions/flexmed) since I haven't seen anything from this year other than 'chance me' type posts!

I was also wondering if anyone knows when the application is supposed to be released; I had assumed Aug 1 based on previous years, but it's not showing up in the portal for me

Also, threads from previous years in case you want to sift through those:
2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/flexmed-2014.993341/
2015: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/flexmed-2015.1076862/
2016: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/flexmed-2016.1153589/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming they'll open the application some time this week. So much excitement!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Application will open Mid-August

Source: Icahn SoM Admissions

Does anyone know if admissions for this program are rolling? Or does it not help to submit your app early?

I think interviews are rolling, but I'm not sure about admissions.

Any idea on what the cutoff is for ACT scores? I know there's technically no minimum score required but i want to be realistic. Is 30 on the extreme low end?

I entertained the idea of flexmed but i saw in other threads that it would probably be better to stick with the traditional way..

question though- Can you enter flexmed as a transfer?

I'm a rising junior, so I can't apply right?

edit: do any other schools have any programs like this I can look at?

Doesn't it seem odd how there is such little room for the essays? 1000 character limit is pretty small if you ask me.

Does anyone know if the 1000 characters limit is a mistake or not? I agree with tectonic that it seems a little weird.

Do you guys think it would harm me if I did NOT get a LOR from a faculty from my high school?

Members don't see this ad :)
@tectonic bump. I'ld appreciate it as well if someone could answer this question. I'm honestly not in touch with a faculty member from high school.

This is my first time posting so please forgive any mistakes I make! I am interested in the FlexMed program and wouldappreciate if you guys could chance me before I dish out $110 to apply:

HS GPA: 4.6
My school didnt calculate unweighted. I graduated 3rd in my class of 600 people.
SAT CR+M: 1430
College GPA: 3.25
I KNOW this is really low but my school has grade deflation and our first semester did not factor into our GPA so I only have my freshman spring to base this off of. If it helps, my school is in the top 5 nationally.

What do you guys think? My extracurriculars are pretty splid and I'm sure my rec letters will be amazing. It's just my college gpa that stinks....

Someone else should contact them about the essay limits. I tried to but they don't seem to understand the issue with 1000 characters (that's only like ~170 words)!

It's 2000 characters now. Not the best, but it could be worse.

What I honestly expected coming in this thread:

flexmed 2017.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
This is my first time posting so please forgive any mistakes I make! I am interested in the FlexMed program and wouldappreciate if you guys could chance me before I dish out $110 to apply:

HS GPA: 4.6
My school didnt calculate unweighted. I graduated 3rd in my class of 600 people.
SAT CR+M: 1430
College GPA: 3.25
I KNOW this is really low but my school has grade deflation and our first semester did not factor into our GPA so I only have my freshman spring to base this off of. If it helps, my school is in the top 5 nationally.

What do you guys think? My extracurriculars are pretty splid and I'm sure my rec letters will be amazing. It's just my college gpa that stinks....

Zero chances with that college GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if an official college transcript needs to be sent, or is uploading an unofficial one okay?

I believe that during the online webcast they said that the transcripts can be unofficial, but I would check. How is everyone feeling about their applications? This thread seems very quiet compared to past years...

Interviewed at Sinai for last year's FlexMed cycle but didn't end up making the cut. If anyone has any questions, let me know!

Hi all! I noticed there's a 150 character maximum (including spaces) for the Activity Section. How did you all include research explanations in this section, because some of the terms from my research are easily 15-16 characters or more and it wastes too much space. Please let me know! Thanks!

Hi all! I noticed there's a 150 character maximum (including spaces) for the Activity Section. How did you all include research explanations in this section, because some of the terms from my research are easily 15-16 characters or more and it wastes too much space. Please let me know! Thanks!
I gave a very general description for my research, but it was the same for all of my activities (150 characters is so little!)

Submitted a few days ago as well, best of luck everyone! Does anyone know when we will be notified about interviews?

Submitted a few days ago as well, best of luck everyone! Does anyone know when we will be notified about interviews?

You'll hear anytime between like next month and marchish. I think the last interview date a few years back was last week of april

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the application system shows whether your letter writers have uploaded their letters or not?

Does anyone know if the application system shows whether your letter writers have uploaded their letters or not?
It will say "Letter has been submitted" or something along those lines.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted as well! Do you guys know if they pay for our transportation if we have to fly or catch a bus to NY?

How were the interview questions? Would you say challenging or expected?
All expected. The most challenging was when I was asked (paraphrasing), "Tell me about a time in which you've been on a team or group that wasn't functioning efficiently or may have had fundamental problems. How did you handle this and what did you learn?"

Submitted as well! Do you guys know if they pay for our transportation if we have to fly or catch a bus to NY?

They dont and if you dont get in and have to go the normal route I dont know of any school that isnt md/phd that pays interview costs

Has anyone heard anything? Maybe it's early, but it has been terribly quiet...

Has anyone heard anything? Maybe it's early, but it has been terribly quiet...
Based on the previous year's thread, interview invites didn't go out until middle of February. Still doesn't help with the waiting.

Hi guys, I am a newbie on this site. I also applied along with many of you. To those who applied in prior cycles or who were admitted, any tips (i.e. questions) for preparing for a potential interview? Thanks!

Hey everyone! How do you guys check the status of ur app? Do you just go on the website you used to apply?

Yup, just log in. Mine just says "Application Complete" for now. Based on previous year's threads the status should change to "at screening" or something similar once your file is reviewed.
Interesting - I called their admissions 2 weeks ago and they said that my application is being reviewed, even though there was no status change on application page; On a similar note, I believe I made a mistake during application and have submitted 3 recs from college profs, rather than 2 college recs and one HS; How critical can this be for my application?

Interesting - I called their admissions 2 weeks ago and they said that my application is being reviewed, even though there was no status change on application page; On a similar note, I believe I made a mistake during application and have submitted 3 recs from college profs, rather than 2 college recs and one HS; How critical can this be for my application?
They said it was recommended to get a rec letter from your high school teacher but not required by any means.

Hmm, it is possible that they've changed it. I can't remember which year's thread it was but I remember people worrying about their status being "at screening" for a long time, and wondering what that meant. Also I doubt having three rec letters from college profs could hurt you, if anything it's impressive that you've gotten that as a sophomore. Did the admission office say anything else of importance?

When i called them they mentioned that they would love to see HS rec, and will "close their eyes" if it is couple of days late. I just couldnt get a good rec from someone in two days as i generally lost contact with most of my HS teachers, so i just went with college recs; also they noted that interview requests will start to be emailed from middle of February and on, so all we can do is just wait.

I just got an interview !

Congrats, same here! And I got an interview date during my spring break so I'm pretty excited! What's your major? I'm a social science major so I wasn't expecting an interview this early.

Congrats, same here! And I got an interview date during my spring break so I'm pretty excited! What's your major? I'm a social science major so I wasn't expecting an interview this early.
Psych Major (so humanities Section)! ya same was surprised as well