GW vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GW or EVMS

• George Washington

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Eastern Virginia Medical school

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

LOVEMYSCHOOL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
My question is Am I making the right decision by choosing GW?
So here is my case: I decided to attend GW because I gave up on my in state schools.
But, I received an offer from EVMS earlier this week. I really dont want to graduate with huge debt and cant just decline the offer. So I am considering EVMS.
Cost of attendance is about 30k for EVMS and 55k for GW
EVMS is a cool school, esp the standardized patient program. The interview was little weird which made me dislike the school a little bit.
I like the fact that it is close to the beach and little away from home :p
nothing specifically stand out when i think about EVMS besides feeling rushed during the interview day and not being able to ask questions.
GW on the other hand is a private school so little more expensive but I wouldnt need to pay rent. I will need to commute for 40 min however.

I got some financial assistance from GW. EVMS wont sent out any fin aid info until a month before orientation.
Should I go to my in state school and save maybe a total of 10k/ year? or should I stick with GW which has a better name?
Actually GW has better research opportunities than EVMS (at least thats what i think)

I just think that most students choose their state schools, and it feels weird that I am choosing a private school...

Members don't see this ad.

Question: So I take it that you are a VA resident? Because EVMS is crazy expensive out of state.

Personally, I interviewed and was accepted to these two schools last year but I think I would have chosen GW over EVMS. EVMS was cool and I liked VA Beach/Norfolk and the hospitals were decent but there was just something about paying so much money for a school most people don't even know exists that freaked me out. Additionally, it didn't seem like they had much going on outside of direct medical education. Sparse research, international opportunities, and the A/B/C grading system was a lot for me, especially when they told me that a lot of classes were graded on a curve so only a set amount of students could get As. Seemed like a breeding ground for gunnerdom.

For me though the two schools would have been evenly cost. I liked the people better at GW and it has way more research and policy opportunities than EVMS, but if you are interested in primary care then saving the money at EVMS may be worth it.

It's a tough call man, but I personally love DC and would go GW.