Happiness Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaenadsDance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So often on the SDN pre-Allo forum I read threads that are about how worried people are, how things are going wrong and they don't know how to fix those wrong things, or else people being Super Duper Neurotic.

I was thinking we could have a Happy Thread - a thread about how things are going okay, about how progress is being made. Not a, "Let me tell you how awesome I am, you peons" thread, but a general encouragement thread. We're going to be okay! Life is an interesting place full of interesting things!

I'll start: I'm starting a new job on campus as a TA, and I really like my boss and all of my coworkers, one of whom I first met when we were both at the same community college. I am excited to learn how to be a teacher! I survived last semester despite my ongoing (and seemingly never-ending) health problems, and in fact got a 3.6 average! And my gen chem II professor is supposed to be better than my gen chem I professor, which is encouraging since I got a B+ in that class last fall.

Also it is sunny and warm in California, and the hummingbirds are back!

What is good in your life, SDNers? What are you looking forward to this fall? What has you excited and energized for the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Though this is only my second semester (at a CC, for what it's worth) and I've only been able to do GEs, I've got a 4.0, which I'm pretty happy about considering it is my first.

Other than that, life is alright. I'm not jubilant but other than some 1st world problems, II don't really have much to complain about.

Maybe I'll update this thread again when I'm feeling more happy ;).

Thank you for this thread.

Everyday for the last few weeks, I have started to drink a glass of wine. Yellow Tail. Merlot.
I hear red wine is good for you. No more Old Fashions.
Bliss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone happy on SDN?

Troll.

jk, this is a good idea. I'm happy that I after I'm done with my job each day I don't have to worry about studying so I can spend time relaxing/with friends/family. #gapyear

I have my health

I have peace

I have my family

I'm able-minded

I'm able to dictate my own future

All I have to do is go to class, lab, study and socialize

I have no bills (yet)

image007.jpg

I'm happy because med school taught me how to cook Asian food.

So often on the SDN pre-Allo forum I read threads that are about how worried people are, how things are going wrong and they don't know how to fix those wrong things, or else people being Super Duper Neurotic.

I wonder where you got that from. :rolleyes:

Have you been stealing cats and dogs from the anatomy lab? :eek:

That wasn't racist... at all.

i'm happy because this is my first ever post here! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am happy that I am finally taking some fun classes along with the last few required classes. My fun classes are weight lifting, tennis, and beginning guitar. :D

Not only do I have a few fun classes to ease my mind from the cell bio, spanish, and biochem, but they are also good for my health so I will be in better shape by May :D

I am happy that I am finally taking some fun classes along with the last few required classes. My fun classes are weight lifting, tennis, and beginning guitar. :D

Not only do I have a few fun classes to ease my mind from the cell bio, spanish, and biochem, but they are also good for my health so I will be in better shape by May :D

I'm taking weight lifting too. I've been lifting for a while though, but boy does my CC have a nice gym. Now if only that quality was reflected in the aesthetics of the other buildings :rolleyes:

I'm taking weight lifting too. I've been lifting for a while though, but boy does my CC have a nice gym. Now if only that quality was reflected in the aesthetics of the other buildings :rolleyes:

I have not lifted on a regular basis since high school when I took it for one of my P.E. credits. My school has tons of great equipment too. Actually my high school was brand new so we had an amazing weight lifting room but that was a long time ago so I bet the students no longer feel that way. :)

Thank you for this thread.

Everyday for the last few weeks, I have started to drink a glass of wine. Yellow Tail. Merlot.
I hear red wine is good for you. No more Old Fashions.
Bliss.

Oh please for the love of god, spend a few more dollars a bottle and get good merlot! I'm not saying go buy vintage fine wines, but there's much better 10-15 dollar a bottle stuff out there. Your taste buds will thank you.

That said, with my financial aid scholarships clearing, I have delved into the world of scotch whiskey and cognac. So far all I know is that you get what you pay for.

I also exercised for the first time in 9 days since hurting my back. And I've received full funding for a research conference to present my project!

I also exercised for the first time in 9 days since hurting my back. And I've received full funding for a research conference to present my project!

I understand these weren't meant to be connected in any way, but these two sentences back to back just seemed so random. :laugh:

I am happy because, even though work was super stressful today and I have a bunch more to get done tonight, I got to come home to the best greeting ever from my two awesome dogs... and now they are snuggled up with me on the couch :D

Also, I love this thread :love:

I'm also looking forward to seeing my financial aid refund posted to my account tomorrow. :)

Too bad I already know exactly how it needs to be spent.

I'm so happy about how my cycle is going!

tumblr_mcez7o5Amq1r8n5x2.gif

I wonder where you got that from. :rolleyes:

It's a great joke! I couldn't remember where I'd read it, but I've never been able to forget it, makes me laugh every time! :laugh:

Re: Financial Aid. I know. Oh man. I should get it posted this week, and that means I can finally buy school supplies... and gas... but hooray for new notebooks! I love that new notebook smell. /SusieDerkins

It's a great joke! I couldn't remember where I'd read it, but I've never been able to forget it, makes me laugh every time! :laugh:

Re: Financial Aid. I know. Oh man. I should get it posted this week, and that means I can finally buy school supplies... and gas... but hooray for new notebooks! I love that new notebook smell. /SusieDerkins

I get to buy my first car.... and dry erase markers!

I can sit down, and see the world in front of me, clear as day. Birds soar around my ears. Water rushes into and out of my pupils, yet I can see the lush, green island ahead of me.

I'm swimming through the turquoise water, shaking every lone algae that sticks to me every now and then. I dive further down, and I run my hand along the bottom of the clear water. The sand is soft, pliable, a fine spongecake flowing amongst my tired hands.

The sand rushes up to me as I arrive on shore. It's a quiet, deserted island. Yet I feel comfortable, as if the snakes and other exotic creatures had nothing to do but greet me, and greet me they did. They lifted their soft green heads, turned towards me, and ambled away into the forest.

And I wake up, and I realize that it was only a dream.
Having fun in the sandbox of my mind.

:soexcited:

I finally got myself to drop a class that was a total waste of time and being taught be a professor that was full of ****. And it feels great!

I got a free second coke zero out of the vending machine today.

Two weeks ago, as a belated Christmas present, my mom gave me one full tank of gas before I returned to campus.

All in all, things are going quite well!!

:soexcited:

I finally got myself to drop a class that was a total waste of time and being taught be a professor that was full of ****. And it feels great!

I got a free second coke zero out of the vending machine today.

Two weeks ago, as a belated Christmas present, my mom gave me one full tank of gas before I returned to campus.

All in all, things are going quite well!!

Reminds me, I haven't gotten soda in a month or so. Oh, Sprite how much I have missed your flavor...

I am pretty happy as well and thank God (if you believe in that sort of thing) for everything. It has been a wild ride for me and it is not time to relent, not now or ever. I understand that many are standing, waiting for hope and having faith regarding their standing at the medical schools they have applied to this cycle. I am saying to relax and let the schools take care of themselves. Do not stress because, being in stressful situations myself, it does not help.

To the OP, thanks for making this thread. It is really nice to see SDN being joyous of things present and things to come in their blessed lives.

Last edited:
I am happy that I have a supportive network of people around me! I'm happy that college has been going well for me (I'm a sophomore) and, if I keep it up, I should be on track for applying next year! And I'm happy that I am eating Twizzlers :D I know they taste like plastic but I LOVE THEM. :love:

I am happy that I have a supportive network of people around me! I'm happy that college has been going well for me (I'm a sophomore) and, if I keep it up, I should be on track for applying next year! And I'm happy that I am eating Twizzlers :D I know they taste like plastic but I LOVE THEM. :love:

Flavored plastics....mmmm. :love:

gurrl what you talkin' bout? Twizzlers are the shiznit. :thumbup:

I'm happy I got my fatass off the couch and in the gym. Feels awesome.

I'm happy that today, I ate a sandwich that had macaroni and cheese filling. It was glorious.

I'm happy to be starting a pretty sweet clinical research gig in the ED of a level 1 trauma center. Happy I've got more grad school behind me than ahead of me and getting to the fun project part of things.

I came home from visiting my family, 14 hour drive, to find my basement flooded and water spraying like a geyser from behind the washing machine. Sucked, but at least it was clean water and grandma sent me back with two ice cream pails full of freshly baked cookies, so I'm coping alright ;)

I'm already getting homesick in my third week. But it's okay! It just makes me more excited to see them when I finally get out of the plane!

Oh please for the love of god, spend a few more dollars a bottle and get good merlot! I'm not saying go buy vintage fine wines, but there's much better 10-15 dollar a bottle stuff out there. Your taste buds will thank you.

That said, with my financial aid scholarships clearing, I have delved into the world of scotch whiskey and cognac. So far all I know is that you get what you pay for.

Haha! You must tell me what is good out there. I am a complete noob when it comes to wine.

On Sunday, I made the best roast chicken I've ever had. Followed Heston Blumenthal's recipe somewhat - brine overnight, roast at 200 degrees for almost 4 hours, then baste with butter and roast at highest oven temp until the skin is crispy. Divine. :love:

Then, I made the best banana bread I've ever had - moist, banana-y, almost like eating a cake. Except it's banana bread. :love: In case you can't tell, I love to cook/bake.

And I've able to work out every day so far this semester - nothing like hitting the gym right after class because my schedule allows me to go into the lab earlier and get my stuff done.