This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarlettsky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with advice on my situation?

I'm a Pre-Med bio major and am going to enter my 4th year undergrad this fall. I did fairly well in my first few semesters but due to personal responsibilities and being overwhelmed with taking too many credits, my grades suffered sophmore/junior year. I tried to bring it back up this last semester and hope to continue to do so. These were roughly my GPA's throughout college so far: 3.76, 3.71, 3.58, 3.32, 1.70, 4.0. I got a B in Ochem I, a D in Ochem II, a C in Biochem I, and a D in Calculus. The rest of my classes are pretty much A's and B's. I think I want to retake O chem II, Biochem I and maybe Calculus, but I'm not sure. I think I can graduate this year (4 years undergrad total), but I'm thinking I might take another extra semester or two to retake these classes or new classes I think are important to my career.

Right now my cumulative GPA is 3.34 and my science GPA is 3.21. I haven't taken the MCAT yet though.

I am currently a phlebotomist at a hospital (for 3 months now) and am going to start a scribe position soon so I'll be working both jobs (both part-time) during school. I have done some research in college for about 2 semesters so far.

Once I start the scribe job and hold onto both jobs part-time, will it be enough for certain sections of applications for medical schools?

I saw some posts that said you have to have separate experiences for clinical volunteering and job shadowing, but I feel like I would have enough clinical experience from these 2 jobs to know that I want to pursue an MD degree. I've only been a phlebotomist for 4 months, but sometimes I'm drawing blood while physicians are in the room asking patients questions and it's very interesting to listen in on and hear how they interact and what questions they ask. I'm doing training for the scribe position before the actual job (you have to pass a test before actually being hired) and it seems very interesting to me. Some of the things I'm learning in training, I notice that doctors in the hospital are doing.

I have done only a few hours of volunteering through clubs at school, but not much to even put on an application probably. I also presented once at a conference at my college (poster presentation), but it didn't involve any actual experimentation or results. We mostly did our own research (as a group) and tried to answer a question that scientists don't have an answer to yet.

I just know that I want to pursue an MD, but with my GPA and experience, I don't know if I should be doing more to get the experience medical schools want me to have. It's very competitive and I don't want to be an applicant that doesn't have a chance at a great school. I haven't done much clinical or non-clinical volunteering or job shadowing, but being a scribe seems like job shadowing to me and by working in a hospital, I get direct patient contact and am getting used to the flow of a hospital.

I feel like all of the experiences I have provides me with enough knowledge that I'm serious about this career choice, but will adcoms skip over my application if these two things aren't there and because of my low GPA?

When applying to medical schools, is there a separate section for these things? If so, are we not allowed to give the same experience in multiple parts of the application?

Also I'm Middle Eastern (but considered "White" on applications because that's what category it fits in to). And I have been tutoring math (College Algebra) at my college for about 1.5 to 2 semesters so far.

UPDATE: I was unable to work the scribe job because of availability issues with classes, so I won't be able to do that unless my schedule frees up in the summer. Do I just need to shadow a doctor then? I have an opportunity to be a medical interpreter, but that won't count as shadowing, will it? People have told me they learned a lot about medicine just from interpreting. Would that be a good thing to do? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are fine more many DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500. It would be a good idea to retake Ochem 2 and Calculus

You are fine more many DO schools as long as your MCAT is at least 500. It would be a good idea to retake Ochem 2 and Calculus

Is it enough to get into an MD school? Is the D in Biochem not as important as Ochem 2 and Calculus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is really low for MD. Right now your chances are close to zero (not exaggerating your chance are that low). If you really want to strengthen your app for MD, have an upward trend in your 4th and final year of undergrad, try and land a +510 MCAT score, and apply and do an SMP.

Reactions: 2 users
In your post above you have "a C in Biochem 1". If it is a D instead you should retake it.

My mistake. I have a C in Biochem, but I was just wondering if I should retake that.

Your GPA is really low for MD. Right now your chances are close to zero (not exaggerating your chance are that low). If you really want to strengthen your app for MD, have an upward trend in your 4th and final year of undergrad, try and land a +510 MCAT score, and apply and do an SMP.

Do you think if I get a good MCAT score and do well my 4th (and maybe 5th) year, I have a chance to get into an MD school without doing an SMP? What about a DO school?

My mistake. I have a C in Biochem, but I was just wondering if I should retake that.
The courses where you received a D are more important to retake. You can also increase your sGPA by taking science courses that you have not taken before.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't scribe unless you need the money; do hospice volunteering or something clinical. Get a 3.8+ your last year and a 513+ and you are a solid DO candidate and competitive for some MD schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't scribe unless you need the money; do hospice volunteering or something clinical. Get a 3.8+ your last year and a 513+ and you are a solid DO candidate and competitive for some MD schools.

Is being a medical scribe not sufficient? I'm currently a phlebotomist and wanted to work with physicians as a scribe, unless it's actually not useful. Some posts here have said being a scribe is very draining and have had bad experiences with it. I don't know because I want to volunteer but I need the money so I'm really trying to avoid volunteering (no pay) unless absolutely necessary. Will I not be competitive enough for medical school if I don't? I'm also tutor math at my college for about 2 semesters so far, I forgot to mention that.

Do you think if I get a good MCAT score and do well my 4th (and maybe 5th) year, I have a chance to get into an MD school without doing an SMP? What about a DO school?
I think that you need two solid years of A's and a high MCAT to get any love from MD schools. You're fine GPA-wise for DO.

I think that you need two solid years of A's and a high MCAT to get any love from MD schools. You're fine GPA-wise for DO.

How high of an MCAT score? Experience-wise, am I okay there?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need volunteering. Get a couple hundred hours in a clinical setting and you are OK on that count. For MD schools? It's an uphill battle; conservatively, I'd recommend 515+.

You need volunteering. Get a couple hundred hours in a clinical setting and you are OK on that count. For MD schools? It's an uphill battle; conservatively, I'd recommend 515+.

If I get volunteer experience, continue my phlebotomy job, and begin scribing, get a good MCAT score, get good grades, would that be enough?

If I scribe, do I also need to separately shadow doctors for experience? That's also where I'm a little stuck; if I am a medical scribe, does that count as fulfilling shadowing experience (which is another thing I don't have yet)? Should I not scribe?

Last edited:
Experience is fine clinically, but you also need service to others less fortunate than yourself.

For M.D. , shoot for 511+

Should I become a scribe? I completed the training but have to pass a test before actually working as a medical scribe. Can I use being a scribe as my shadowing experience or does that have to be separate?

Let's say that OP has three semesters of straight As and a 515+ MCAT; how good do you think their chances of getting MD love are?

If I get three semesters of straight As and a 515+ MCAT, how good are my chances of getting into an MD school?

I don't know if three straight semesters will be enough.
You can also increase your sGPA by taking science courses that you have not taken before.

Update: I was unable to work the scribe job because of availability issues with classes, so I won't be able to do that unless my schedule frees up in the summer. Do I just need to shadow a doctor then? I have an opportunity to be a medical interpreter, but that won't count as shadowing, will it? People have told me they learned a lot about medicine just from interpreting. Would that be a good thing to do? Thanks.

Update: I was unable to work the scribe job because of availability issues with classes, so I won't be able to do that unless my schedule frees up in the summer. Do I just need to shadow a doctor then? I have an opportunity to be a medical interpreter, but that won't count as shadowing, will it? People have told me they learned a lot about medicine just from interpreting. Would that be a good thing to do? Thanks.
Medical interpreting is a good thing to do. I'll leave it to others to comment on if it's shadowing.

This is the most important post. Working a part-time job while trying to get your GPA into an acceptance range (I doubt it is now) is lunacy. Either take an extra gap year and work for money/experience after you graduate or if you must work, work one job and take "easy" classes with just a few of the harder pre-med classes.

This is the most important post. Working a part-time job while trying to get your GPA into an acceptance range (I doubt it is now) is lunacy. Either take an extra gap year and work for money/experience after you graduate or if you must work, work one job and take "easy" classes with just a few of the harder pre-med classes.

I think it's totally possible. I work part time as an MA like 20 hrs a week while taking like 22 credits (on top of volunteering and other EC's). Keeps you busy and shows responsibility. If OP is serious he can do it.

Edit: And I usually get 3.8+ semesters

I think it's totally possible. I work part time as an MA like 20 hrs a week while taking like 22 credits (on top of volunteering and other EC's). Keeps you busy and shows responsibility. If OP is serious he can do it.

Edit: And I usually get 3.8+ semesters
Yes, you've been able to get 3.8+ but OP is in a different situation. She HASN'T been able to maintain a 3.8 and work and if she doesn't recover, she'll need an SMP or more post-bacc classes to raise her GPA. And raising a GPA is a do-or-die type of situation - her last chance other than an SMP which are expensive and time consuming. Plus she originally was talking about two part time jobs when I first wrote my post.