Dec 29, 2020
Hey all,

Haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's upcoming match and for some reason folks were commenting on the old one, so figured I'd make a new one here.

Good luck to all!

Reactions: 5 users
Jan 19, 2021
I could use some help on my #3-5: currently Northwestern, Vanderbilt, UTSW. Looking for hem/onc match and good qol/culture. Let's say city doesn't matter. IF anyone has perspective on the qol/culture at these places would appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user

HatTricks01

2+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
As a native Jerseyan do you know much about the Hackensack programs in terms of training ? Specifically how you would rank Hackensack UMC and the Hackensack affiliates Palisades Medical Center vs Mountainside Medical for IM training relative to NYC programs for example.

I didn't apply to the smaller community programs in the area so I don't know the details. I just know that NJMS residents used to rotate at Hackensack proper before it became it became its own med school. Patient population is primarily more affluent/well off. Based off nothing but conjecture I imagine the NYC programs would offer a wider breadth of patient population and with it probably better training as well.

mcat_taker

5+ Year Member
May 31, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I didn't apply to the smaller community programs in the area so I don't know the details. I just know that NJMS residents used to rotate at Hackensack proper before it became it became its own med school. Patient population is primarily more affluent/well off. Based off nothing but conjecture I imagine the NYC programs would offer a wider breadth of patient population and with it probably better training as well.
thank you for your response. With this whole season being on zoom and not in person it's been really difficult to rank programs because they all sound good during the virtual interview.

About the Ads

Adjet

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I could use some help on my #3-5: currently Northwestern, Vanderbilt, UTSW. Looking for hem/onc match and good qol/culture. Let's say city doesn't matter. IF anyone has perspective on the qol/culture at these places would appreciate it.
Don't have any inside knowledge about the QoL/culture beyond what is reported here/spreadsheet, but they will set you up fairly equally for h/o fellowship. Would say UTSW's home h/o program is significantly less academic than Vandy's and NW's, not that it necessarily matters for your IM experience.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't imagine it will matter much if these are your 3-5, since you're unlikely to go below #2.

That said, I'd probably rank them exactly like that. I have an unreasonable aversion to the entire state of Texas, so take my ranking FWIW. All 3 of those places will allow you to set yourself up for whatever you want to do in the future. Rank them the way you liked them.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't imagine it will matter much if these are your 3-5, since you're unlikely to go below #2.

That said, I'd probably rank them exactly like that. I have an unreasonable aversion to the entire state of Texas, so take my ranking FWIW. All 3 of those places will allow you to set yourself up for whatever you want to do in the future. Rank them the way you liked them.

Texas is the best. We're so awesome, I had to sleep in a supply closet in my hospital last night because our city completely shuts down after a little snow

• Wow

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Texas is the best. We're so awesome, I had to sleep in a supply closet in my hospital last night because our city completely shuts down after a little snow
That's not even in the Top 100 of the list of reasons why I hate Texas.

I live in an area where snow is uncommon, but not unheard of. And it's been a total s***show here since we got 8" on Friday. I joked that I drove by the state snowplow Friday morning and it was stuck. The joke was that it's the state's only snowplow. It was in fact stuck on a snow covered hill in my neighborhood.

Fortunately, it's been 45F+ since Sunday, so it's getting better.

Feb 14, 2021
Hello people! I hope everyone is doing well.

Any input about Atlanticare regional medical center NJ Vs. AMITA Health/St Joseph Hospital Chicago? IM programs.
Which one is better? Want to pursue Pulm/Crit fellowship in the future.

disorder

isrdero
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I hear this a lot but when I look at the fellowship lists, UCSD's doesn't seem very impressive. It looks like USC and Cedars both seem to have more cards matches. Am I missing anything trying to interpret these lists?

Below is an image I made for reference to compare the three programs (all the most recent matches).

View attachment 330219
UCSD matches well. Period.
Superior to USC and Cedars, by far.

Feb 20, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello everyone! Need some help tweaking this list with interest in cardiology and specifically EP. Importance is a mix between best programs and research with some personal choices and location preferences that have affected the ranking. From NJ lifetime NJ resident and family is important to me. NY and PA are also fine for me.

1. Columbia
2. Mt Sinai
3. Rwj (would be able to live at home with family and know many people here)
4/5?. Jefferson vs montefiore (I am leaning jeff because I love Philly much more than the bronx but don't know how much I would lose in terms of prestige going jeff over monte because I think the match at monte is better. Also didn't get a real good vibe from monte from residents and they didn't give me real Scuthwork answer)
6. Rutgers NJMS (home institution with great recent cards match and clinical training)
7/8. Brown/Tufts (can't decide leaning brown because tufts is just smaller and more primary care)
9. Temple
10. U Maryland
11. Stonybrook
12. Cooper rowan

Any comments about this would be appreciated! Thank you all!

Adjet

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello everyone! Need some help tweaking this list with interest in cardiology and specifically EP. Importance is a mix between best programs and research with some personal choices and location preferences that have affected the ranking. From NJ lifetime NJ resident and family is important to me. NY and PA are also fine for me.

1. Columbia
2. Mt Sinai
3. Rwj (would be able to live at home with family and know many people here)
4/5?. Jefferson vs montefiore (I am leaning jeff because I love Philly much more than the bronx but don't know how much I would lose in terms of prestige going jeff over monte because I think the match at monte is better. Also didn't get a real good vibe from monte from residents and they didn't give me real Scuthwork answer)
6. Rutgers NJMS (home institution with great recent cards match and clinical training)
7/8. Brown/Tufts (can't decide leaning brown because tufts is just smaller and more primary care)
9. Temple
10. U Maryland
11. Stonybrook
12. Cooper rowan

Any comments about this would be appreciated! Thank you all!
It would be reasonable to rank Jeff > Monte given your impressions and personal preference. You could miss out a little bit on the prestige but I do believe QoL at Jefferson is better (and based on raking RWJ #3, seems like you prioritize factors other than fellowship prospects).

Reactions: 2 users

ShuperNewbie

5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It would be reasonable to rank Jeff > Monte given your impressions and personal preference. You could miss out a little bit on the prestige but I do believe QoL at Jefferson is better (and based on raking RWJ #3, seems like you prioritize factors other than fellowship prospects).

Agreed. Honestly most major academic institutions will sport a near 100% match in any given subspecialty (granted people do tend to self select but not as veraciously as you'd think). Pedigreed places will send you to other pedigreed places but overall, you'll get to where you need to go, and let's be honest, who the **** cares where you trained? Go where you're happy. Usually that means chasing meaningful relationships. I think more people should do that.

About the Ads
Dec 29, 2020
Trying to finish up my list. Looking to do fellowship (cards,heme).

Mt Sinai Morningside/West
Einstein Philly
Stonybrook

I wanna know how much of a difference going to MSMW or Einstein Philly over Stony would make?? I know Stony is a uni but I'd much rather live in nyc or Philly and stony's match list isn't much better than the other two places (may even be worse).

mcat_taker

5+ Year Member
May 31, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
MSBI
Lenox Hill
Hackensack UMC

Any lurkers from last year who interviewed in person have advice on ranking these 3 ?? How alarmed should I be that Lenox Hill doesn't have a published fellowship list anywhere.

Adjet

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Diversity and future cards

Temple
Mount Sinai MW (St. Luke's)
Ohio State
VCU
Ohio State > Temple > VCU >? Mt Sinai MW (don't know much about this program)
Could someone please help me rank these four programs?

Interested in cardiology if that matters

Baylor vs Emory vs UPMC vs WashU?

Thanks in advance!
WashU > Emory ~ UPMC >= Baylor

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What are people's thoughts on cleveland clinic florida? I can barely find anything on the internet on this program? Does the name hold any significant value?
To the general citizens of Florida, kinda. For fellowships? No idea. My friend just finished 2 months of rotating there and didn’t really like it but didn’t elaborate on why. She did say they seemed to care a lot about critical care from her interview day.

liltrapangel

2+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2018
Hi! Can anyone please help me rank these programs? I’m interested in cards, and care for best cards fellowship chances and reputation. SUNY Upstate / East Carolina University / LSU Shreveport / West Virginia University ? I have no idea how to rank these, I keep on looking up the schedules and match lists, and all were nice on interview day. Im thinking SUNY as my first choice, but for the other three I’m stumped and kinda going crazy lol please help.

Dec 29, 2020
Trying to finish up my list. Looking to do fellowship (cards,heme).

Mt Sinai Morningside/West
Einstein Philly
Stonybrook

I wanna know how much of a difference going to MSMW or Einstein Philly over Stony would make?? I know Stony is a uni but I'd much rather live in nyc or Philly and stony's match list isn't much better than the other two places (may even be worse).
plz help

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads