This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wards&Mimosas

Reaction score
Hey all,

Haven't seen a thread created yet for this year's upcoming match and for some reason folks were commenting on the old one, so figured I'd make a new one here.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
As a native Jerseyan do you know much about the Hackensack programs in terms of training ? Specifically how you would rank Hackensack UMC and the Hackensack affiliates Palisades Medical Center vs Mountainside Medical for IM training relative to NYC programs for example.

I didn't apply to the smaller community programs in the area so I don't know the details. I just know that NJMS residents used to rotate at Hackensack proper before it became it became its own med school. Patient population is primarily more affluent/well off. Based off nothing but conjecture I imagine the NYC programs would offer a wider breadth of patient population and with it probably better training as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't apply to the smaller community programs in the area so I don't know the details. I just know that NJMS residents used to rotate at Hackensack proper before it became it became its own med school. Patient population is primarily more affluent/well off. Based off nothing but conjecture I imagine the NYC programs would offer a wider breadth of patient population and with it probably better training as well.
thank you for your response. With this whole season being on zoom and not in person it's been really difficult to rank programs because they all sound good during the virtual interview.

I could use some help on my #3-5: currently Northwestern, Vanderbilt, UTSW. Looking for hem/onc match and good qol/culture. Let's say city doesn't matter. IF anyone has perspective on the qol/culture at these places would appreciate it.
Don't have any inside knowledge about the QoL/culture beyond what is reported here/spreadsheet, but they will set you up fairly equally for h/o fellowship. Would say UTSW's home h/o program is significantly less academic than Vandy's and NW's, not that it necessarily matters for your IM experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could use some help on my #3-5: currently Northwestern, Vanderbilt, UTSW. Looking for hem/onc match and good qol/culture. Let's say city doesn't matter. IF anyone has perspective on the qol/culture at these places would appreciate it.
I don't imagine it will matter much if these are your 3-5, since you're unlikely to go below #2.

That said, I'd probably rank them exactly like that. I have an unreasonable aversion to the entire state of Texas, so take my ranking FWIW. All 3 of those places will allow you to set yourself up for whatever you want to do in the future. Rank them the way you liked them.

I don't imagine it will matter much if these are your 3-5, since you're unlikely to go below #2.

That said, I'd probably rank them exactly like that. I have an unreasonable aversion to the entire state of Texas, so take my ranking FWIW. All 3 of those places will allow you to set yourself up for whatever you want to do in the future. Rank them the way you liked them.

Texas is the best. We're so awesome, I had to sleep in a supply closet in my hospital last night because our city completely shuts down after a little snow

• Wow
Texas is the best. We're so awesome, I had to sleep in a supply closet in my hospital last night because our city completely shuts down after a little snow
That's not even in the Top 100 of the list of reasons why I hate Texas.

I live in an area where snow is uncommon, but not unheard of. And it's been a total s***show here since we got 8" on Friday. I joked that I drove by the state snowplow Friday morning and it was stuck. The joke was that it's the state's only snowplow. It was in fact stuck on a snow covered hill in my neighborhood.

Fortunately, it's been 45F+ since Sunday, so it's getting better.

Hello people! I hope everyone is doing well.

Any input about Atlanticare regional medical center NJ Vs. AMITA Health/St Joseph Hospital Chicago? IM programs.
Which one is better? Want to pursue Pulm/Crit fellowship in the future.

I hear this a lot but when I look at the fellowship lists, UCSD's doesn't seem very impressive. It looks like USC and Cedars both seem to have more cards matches. Am I missing anything trying to interpret these lists?

Below is an image I made for reference to compare the three programs (all the most recent matches).

View attachment 330219
UCSD matches well. Period.
Superior to USC and Cedars, by far.

Hello everyone! Need some help tweaking this list with interest in cardiology and specifically EP. Importance is a mix between best programs and research with some personal choices and location preferences that have affected the ranking. From NJ lifetime NJ resident and family is important to me. NY and PA are also fine for me.

1. Columbia
2. Mt Sinai
3. Rwj (would be able to live at home with family and know many people here)
4/5?. Jefferson vs montefiore (I am leaning jeff because I love Philly much more than the bronx but don't know how much I would lose in terms of prestige going jeff over monte because I think the match at monte is better. Also didn't get a real good vibe from monte from residents and they didn't give me real Scuthwork answer)
6. Rutgers NJMS (home institution with great recent cards match and clinical training)
7/8. Brown/Tufts (can't decide leaning brown because tufts is just smaller and more primary care)
9. Temple
10. U Maryland
11. Stonybrook
12. Cooper rowan

Any comments about this would be appreciated! Thank you all!

Hello everyone! Need some help tweaking this list with interest in cardiology and specifically EP. Importance is a mix between best programs and research with some personal choices and location preferences that have affected the ranking. From NJ lifetime NJ resident and family is important to me. NY and PA are also fine for me.

1. Columbia
2. Mt Sinai
3. Rwj (would be able to live at home with family and know many people here)
4/5?. Jefferson vs montefiore (I am leaning jeff because I love Philly much more than the bronx but don't know how much I would lose in terms of prestige going jeff over monte because I think the match at monte is better. Also didn't get a real good vibe from monte from residents and they didn't give me real Scuthwork answer)
6. Rutgers NJMS (home institution with great recent cards match and clinical training)
7/8. Brown/Tufts (can't decide leaning brown because tufts is just smaller and more primary care)
9. Temple
10. U Maryland
11. Stonybrook
12. Cooper rowan

Any comments about this would be appreciated! Thank you all!
It would be reasonable to rank Jeff > Monte given your impressions and personal preference. You could miss out a little bit on the prestige but I do believe QoL at Jefferson is better (and based on raking RWJ #3, seems like you prioritize factors other than fellowship prospects).

Reactions: 2 users
It would be reasonable to rank Jeff > Monte given your impressions and personal preference. You could miss out a little bit on the prestige but I do believe QoL at Jefferson is better (and based on raking RWJ #3, seems like you prioritize factors other than fellowship prospects).

Agreed. Honestly most major academic institutions will sport a near 100% match in any given subspecialty (granted people do tend to self select but not as veraciously as you'd think). Pedigreed places will send you to other pedigreed places but overall, you'll get to where you need to go, and let's be honest, who the **** cares where you trained? Go where you're happy. Usually that means chasing meaningful relationships. I think more people should do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to finish up my list. Looking to do fellowship (cards,heme).

Mt Sinai Morningside/West
Einstein Philly
Stonybrook

I wanna know how much of a difference going to MSMW or Einstein Philly over Stony would make?? I know Stony is a uni but I'd much rather live in nyc or Philly and stony's match list isn't much better than the other two places (may even be worse).

MSBI
Lenox Hill
Hackensack UMC

Any lurkers from last year who interviewed in person have advice on ranking these 3 ?? How alarmed should I be that Lenox Hill doesn't have a published fellowship list anywhere.

Trying to finish up my rank list.

Can someone help me rank between UF vs UM vs UT Houston internal medicine? hope to be in academic rheum or cardio

Thanks!

Could someone please help me rank these four programs?

Interested in cardiology if that matters

Baylor vs Emory vs UPMC vs WashU?

Thanks in advance!

Diversity and future cards

Temple
Mount Sinai MW (St. Luke's)
Ohio State
VCU
Ohio State > Temple > VCU >? Mt Sinai MW (don't know much about this program)

Thanks in advance!
WashU > Emory ~ UPMC >= Baylor

Thanks in advance!
WashU has a slight edge reputation wise over the other 3 which are pretty comparable so I would probably rank those by location

What are people's thoughts on cleveland clinic florida? I can barely find anything on the internet on this program? Does the name hold any significant value?

Trying to finish up my rank list.

Can someone help me rank between UF vs UM vs UT Houston internal medicine? hope to be in academic rheum or cardio

Thanks!
Besides this past match year, UT Houston has been pretty reliable in placing students into academic fellowships. Can't comment on UF, which UM are you referring to?

What are people's thoughts on cleveland clinic florida? I can barely find anything on the internet on this program? Does the name hold any significant value?
To the general citizens of Florida, kinda. For fellowships? No idea. My friend just finished 2 months of rotating there and didn’t really like it but didn’t elaborate on why. She did say they seemed to care a lot about critical care from her interview day.

Hi! Can anyone please help me rank these programs? I’m interested in cards, and care for best cards fellowship chances and reputation. SUNY Upstate / East Carolina University / LSU Shreveport / West Virginia University ? I have no idea how to rank these, I keep on looking up the schedules and match lists, and all were nice on interview day. Im thinking SUNY as my first choice, but for the other three I’m stumped and kinda going crazy lol please help.

Trying to finish up my list. Looking to do fellowship (cards,heme).

Mt Sinai Morningside/West
Einstein Philly
Stonybrook

I wanna know how much of a difference going to MSMW or Einstein Philly over Stony would make?? I know Stony is a uni but I'd much rather live in nyc or Philly and stony's match list isn't much better than the other two places (may even be worse).
plz help

"Most either live in Jersey City, which is about a 30 min commute depending on traffic, or the surrounding suburbs of Montclair/Bloomfield. Jersey City is populated by a lot of young professionals and there's a lot of restaurants/bars; plus you have easy access to NYC via the PATH. It has seen a lot of growth over the past several years."
Will second that Jersey City is a super hip and happening place (honestly just think of it as another NYC borough). Lots of new attendings I know live in Hoboken or Grove street (these places are basically just as expensive at manhattan now, but nicer to live in IMHO). If you're looking for something cheaper you can scout out Newport or Journal Square (I know of a couple Rutgers/RWJ residents who live there and don't have any trouble commuting)

Need help with #5. The rest of my list includes Case Western UH, Baylor, UAB, University of Colorado, and Mayo. Unsure about Mayo. I can live in Rochester for 3 years, but my concern with Mayo is the cushiness of the schedule. I heard interns are capped at 6 patients and each intern has a secretary that deals with insurances and other common administrative problems that an intern normally has to do at other institutions. Since I don't plan to stay at Mayo for fellowship, not sure if I will be prepared to handle the rigor of fellowship training at other institutions afterwards (since I'm pretty sure I won't get my own secretary as a fellow at other places and that my patient cap will be the whole floor as opposed to 6 lol).
Honestly just go with your gut. Mayo's probably the best name of the bunch and if you can tolerate Rochester then even better (and honestly no one in residency will ever complain about cushiness lol. Even your cushiest program will be rigorous enough just by nature of residency in general). If it were me I'd have things in reverse order of what you listed. Also no worries if you liked UCSD better (I have a lot of friends who were residents at UCSD who were very happy and had no troubles in the match). At that point you're just splitting hairs. California tends to be on the extremes of the "local reputation>national reputation" scale, in that people in California will see certain institutions as phenomenal top choice powerhouses (e.g. UCLA/UCSD) and people elsewhere kinda look at them and think "that's pretty good." (Partially because most of us have limited experience with folks from these institutions because they all tend to STAY IN CALIFORNIA 5EVER).

A little bit of advice though: one thing you'll realize when looking for jobs or for fellowships is that local reputation really means a lot. This is partially due to self-selection, since a lot of people generally want to stay where they are after a certain point, so they'll tend to apply/interview/matriculate more often in the local region. As such, hiring directors/ PDs/ general staff at these local institutions get to know and trust and be willing to take more people from these other local institutions much more frequently (it's like a feedback loop). For instance, it's no accident that Manhattan programs tend to interbreed so heavily. Having been involved in the hiring process now, I can say that the reasoning is pretty simple: why would I ever turn down someone coming from an institution whose track record I trust, who knows the nuances of medicine in NYC, and whose references I know on a personal level and am certain will be honest with me? Contrast this with someone coming from a black box institution with a decent reputation. It's why we're so happy taking folks from Monte so much, even over places with an arguably stronger name brand. I don't think we've ever had a bad experience with a monte resident, either as a fellow or as an attending, and we obviously know what we're getting, so that tends to give them a slight edge in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Will second that Jersey City is a super hip and happening place (honestly just think of it as another NYC borough). Lots of new attendings I know live in Hoboken or Grove street (these places are basically just as expensive at manhattan now, but nicer to live in IMHO). If you're looking for something cheaper you can scout out Newport or Journal Square (I know of a couple Rutgers/RWJ residents who live there and don't have any trouble commuting)

Honestly just go with your gut. No worries if you liked UCSD better (I have a lot of friends who were residents at UCSD who were very happy and had no troubles in the match). At that point you're just splitting hairs. California tends to be on the extremes of the "local reputation>national reputation" scale, in that people in California will see certain institutions as phenomenal top choice powerhouses (e.g. UCLA/UCSD) and people elsewhere kinda look at them and think "that's pretty good." (Partially because most of us have limited experience with folks from these institutions because they all tend to STAY IN CALIFORNIA 5EVER).

A little bit of advice though: one thing you'll realize when looking for jobs or for fellowships is that local reputation really means a lot. This is partially due to self-selection, since a lot of people generally want to stay where they are after a certain point, so they'll tend to apply/interview/matriculate more often in the local region. As such, hiring directors/ PDs/ general staff at these local institutions get to know and trust and be willing to take more people from these other local institutions much more frequently (it's like a feedback loop). For instance, it's no accident that Manhattan programs tend to interbreed so heavily. Having been involved in the hiring process now, I can say that the reasoning is pretty simple: why would I ever turn down someone coming from an institution whose track record I trust, who knows the nuances of medicine in NYC, and whose references I know on a personal level and am certain will be honest with me? Contrast this with someone coming from a black box institution with a decent reputation. It's why we're so happy taking folks from Monte so much, even over places with an arguably stronger name brand. I don't think we've ever had a bad experience with a monte resident, either as a fellow or as an attending, and we obviously know what we're getting, so that tends to give them a slight edge in the process.
Just curious, what are your thoughts on taking residents from North Shore-LIJ?

If you don't want to live in Long Island, put SB last. As you said, the match list is the same/worse than the other programs and there's no sense being bummed about your location for 3 years.

Between Einstein and MSW it's a toss up. Einstein has a slightly better schedule and I would say a better heme/onc match. MSW is arguably in the better location. Both are solid programs.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on taking residents from North Shore-LIJ?

NSLIJ (Northwell) is a great program. It's kinda like Monte in that it's the biggest game in town in its respective borough (wheras manhattan programs behave more like gangs in a turf war). Northwell's also poached a lot of our best people over the years, and they pay better so there's that.

I can't speak to Einstein Philly but Stonybrook and MSMW are fairly equivocal. SB may eeeeever so slightly have a better name but it honestly doesn't matter. Just pick where you'd rather live. It's not like you're sacrificing your future by choosing one over the other. To put it into perspective, it's not like you're choosing between Harvard and XYZ state school. It's more like you're choosing between Harvard and Yale. Harvard may have an ever so slightly better name but not worth it if you hate Boston.

Hackensack UMC vs NYP-Queens ? Anyone ?
Goals? If none then it depends on whether you like Flushing or North(ish) Jersey better. City or Suburb. Chinese food or Korean food. Both have all the major IM fellowships in house. Reputation-wise it doesn't really matter, but keep in mind you'll probably stay in the same general area for a while unless you're really desperate to get out, so pick the place you can see yourself for... I dunno... six years let's say.

Goals? If none then it depends on whether you like Flushing or North(ish) Jersey better. City or Suburb. Chinese food or Korean food. Both have all the major IM fellowships in house. Reputation-wise it doesn't really matter, but keep in mind you'll probably stay in the same general area for a while unless you're really desperate to get out, so pick the place you can see yourself for... I dunno... six years let's say.

Goal is Crit Care. The way I see it is Hackensack is a new university program with fellowships slowly being rolled out vs an established community university affiliate in NYP Queens that has all the fellowships in house there.

Flushing I would live in a trendier part of Brooklyn like Williamsburg and commute to Flushing. For Hackensack could live in trendier Jersey City and commute. Hackensack work life balance would probably be better.

Goal is Crit Care. The way I see it is Hackensack is a new university program with fellowships slowly being rolled out vs an established community university affiliate in NYP Queens that has all the fellowships in house there.

Flushing I would live in a trendier part of Brooklyn like Williamsburg and commute to Flushing. For Hackensack could live in trendier Jersey City and commute. Hackensack work life balance would probably be better.
Those are long commutes... would advise living as close as safely possible to your hospital...took me 4 mins for to door when I was a resident...beat decision!

Would love some advice on ranking these programs on my list. Interested in GI or maybe hem/onc. Family is in Chicago, would be nice to be close but willing to move for a better program.

Iowa
Minnesota
IU
Brown
UIC
Rush
UAB

Gotcha. Yeah I've heard people say that they liked the crit care program at NYP queens (I think the IM PD there is actually a crit care attending). Nursing staff there also tends to be better than your average NYC community program.

That said, I agree with Rokshana. Having made the commute from Williamsburg to Queens before, I gotta say that it might actually kill you if you do it everyday (yes, even if you drive). With the exception of the G train (which is hit or miss tbh), there's really no subway line that takes you from brooklyn into queens. So if you REALLY want to live in brooklyn, you'll be commuting into manhatten and then out into flushing and then taking a bus. The whole thing will probably take you 1.5 hours daily (3 hours round trip), or about 50 minutes driving, which will kill you as an intern. If you end up matching at NYPQ, and you REALLY want to be close to the city, look into LIC. That's probably your best bet

Would love some advice on ranking these programs on my list. Interested in GI or maybe hem/onc. Family is in Chicago, would be nice to be close but willing to move for a better program.

Iowa
Minnesota
IU
Brown
UIC
Rush
UAB

In terms of in house heme/onc, Minnesota, IU, and UAB are probably your strongest. In terms of IM strength, probably Minnesota and UAB. That said, Brown is kind of a sleeper here. Saw a bunch of Brown folks interviewing at the most ivory of towers this year. I think it's really on the up and up. That said, if you have family in Chicago, and you want to stay at UIC or Rush (which are both solid programs), then I don't think you'll be missing out on much from a reputation standpoint alone. General mantra is never sacrifice happiness or relationships for reputation. Program reputation won't get you as far as you'd think. Happiness and meaningful relationships will.

Any thoughts on these 4 programs? Likely pursuing general IM but also interested somewhat in heme/onc. AGH, WVU, LVHN all have in house heme/onc fellowships, so will likely putting EVMS last of these as it doesn’t. My gut is to put either WVU or AGH at the top.

Allegheny General Hospital
West Virginia University
Lehigh Valley Health Network
Eastern Virginia Medical School

Iowa
Minnesota
IU
Brown
UIC
Rush
UAB
Based solely on program strength/rep:
UAB/UMinn
Iowa/IU
Brown
Rush/UIC

If I were personally ranking them, taking location and program strength into account:
UMinn
Iowa
Brown
Indy
UAB
Rush
UIC

There are lots of other ways to rank them and things you may find more important that some internet rando does though so, you do you boo.

Hi all, lost and overwhelmed as we near the submission day. Would love any feedback on my list, mostly between the 6-10 spots. Single POC male, looking for strong training and would like to maximize opportunities for heme/onc down the line. Thanks in advance!

1) WashU
2) UMich
3) Mayo
4) UPMC
5) Baylor
6) Brown
7) Case
8) OSU
9) Rush
10) UMD
11) Jeff
12) RWJ
13) UF
14) UMiami

Hi all, lost and overwhelmed as we near the submission day. Would love any feedback on my list, mostly between the 6-10 spots. Single POC male, looking for strong training and would like to maximize opportunities for heme/onc down the line. Thanks in advance!

1) WashU
2) UMich
3) Mayo
4) UPMC
5) Baylor
6) Brown
7) Case
8) OSU
9) Rush
10) UMD
11) Jeff
12) RWJ
13) UF
14) UMiami
Not that it will likely matter for you, but tOSU and UMD (and probably Jeff and RWJ) should be higher up than Brown and Rush, and maybe Case. But your top 5 are hard to argue with and could honestly go in any order and you'd be fine.

Gotcha. Yeah I've heard people say that they liked the crit care program at NYP queens (I think the IM PD there is actually a crit care attending). Nursing staff there also tends to be better than your average NYC community program.

That said, I agree with Rokshana. Having made the commute from Williamsburg to Queens before, I gotta say that it might actually kill you if you do it everyday (yes, even if you drive). With the exception of the G train (which is hit or miss tbh), there's really no subway line that takes you from brooklyn into queens. So if you REALLY want to live in brooklyn, you'll be commuting into manhatten and then out into flushing and then taking a bus. The whole thing will probably take you 1.5 hours daily (3 hours round trip), or about 50 minutes driving, which will kill you as an intern. If you end up matching at NYPQ, and you REALLY want to be close to the city, look into LIC. That's probably your best bet

thanks. Yes failed to mention I would be driving for both those programs. google maps says Williamsburg to Flushing is about 15 mins.

how about choosing between Lenox Hill and Mt Sinai Beth Israel ? @ShuperNewbie

Last edited:
thanks. Yes failed to mention I would be driving for both those programs. google maps says Williamsburg to Flushing is about 15 mins.
At 4am, sure.

Agree with living in LIC, or even Midtown East if you wind up at Flushing. Or, close to the hospital so the 6 days a week you're working, you're close, and the 1 day a week you can play, you drive/train to somewhere cooler.

lol....not even at 3 o'clock in the morning are you going to able to make wmbrg to flushing in 15 mins...the BQE sucks.

Not that it will likely matter for you, but tOSU and UMD (and probably Jeff and RWJ) should be higher up than Brown and Rush, and maybe Case. But your top 5 are hard to argue with and could honestly go in any order and you'd be fine.
Thank you, definitely matters! I am mostly torn in that range because my top 5 are, for me, a tier above the rest of my list. What would you say is stronger, Case or tOSU? Also, doubting my top 5 lol. Debating between UPMC, Baylor, and Mayo. Any thoughts or input?

Agree was going to say same thing, brown way too high

lol....not even at 3 o'clock in the morning are you going to able to make wmbrg to flushing in 15 mins...the BQE sucks.
Middle of the day from upper east to nyp queens in Uber took 45 minutes. It’s a terrible location not easily accessible by public transportation

Lenox hill>>>>>Sinai Beth Israel unless they magically fixed the problem of the hospital closing, which who knows anymore