This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmic

Young Doc
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, guys. I'm now going to be one of the many many students that have posted this exact thread probably, but I'm hoping some of you can help put my mind at ease a little bit. I am currently filling out my dental school application (where has the time gone...) and I figured I'd give some of you a little insight on my experience with preparing for this application as well as fish for some feedback.

Here are the numbers:
DAT Scores
AA: 21
TS: 21
Bio: 21
GC: 21
Orgo: 22
PAT: 20
RC: 23
QR: 20

Cumulative GPA: 3.844

A little more info about me:
I have been shadowing for general dentists, my local orthodontist, and an oral surgeon on and off for the past 8 years. I've completed upwards of 200 hours of shadowing total. I worked for my orthodontist as a technician (dealt with patients as well as behind-the-scenes tech work) for 3 summers, completing an additional 417 hours as a paid employee.

I've been heavily involved with Operation Smile, an international, non-profit organization that sends medical professional volunteers to developing countries where they provide free cleft lip, cleft palate, and various other surgeries for free, for 8 years. I was blown away by the impact of the organization and its dedication to building a culture around student leadership. I was the founder and president of my high school's Operation Smile club throughout my four years. I applied for and was accepted to attend my first medical mission to the Dominican Republic as a student volunteer during my junior year of high school, where my love for the organization only grew. I joined VCU's Operation Smile club, eventually becoming the President during my junior year of undergrad. I also attended my second medical mission to Thailand during my junior year, where I served as a brand ambassador and student journalist for Operation Smile. I look forward to continuing my work with Operation Smile in the future, regardless of where my career path takes me.

In addition to Operation Smile, I enjoyed mentoring an underprivileged 1st grader in the local Richmond area where I helped him improve his reading and math skills, as well as provided him emotional guidance during his first grade year. I also participate in on-campus health organizations, including Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) and UNICEF.

Outside of school and volunteering, I spend most of my time outdoors exploring new national parks, hiking, camping, rock climbing, etc. I am most passionate, however, about my travel experiences and value travel very much. I studied abroad in Australia my second semester of my junior year, where I was able to explore a new culture and meet new people, and am in the midst of planning a post-graduation Europe solo backpacking trip!!

So now that you all know a little about me, my dental school endeavors, and my personal hobbies, again I ask... what are my chances for average and above average dental schools? Here is a list of schools I am looking to apply to.
1. Harvard School of Dental Medicine
2. UCLA School of Dentistry
3. UCSF School of Dentistry
4. University of Pacific Dugoni School of Dentistry
5. USC Herman Ostrow Schoo of Dentistry
6. VCU School of Dentistry
7. UNC School of Dentistry
8. University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Science
9. Western University of Health Sciences School of Dentistry
10. University of Colorado Denver School of Dentistry

I realize that some of these schools are definitely a stretch. If any of you have any advice, PLEASE do not hesitate to tear into me! I welcome all criticism and suggestions. Thanks to you all in advance :)

Sincerely,

A nervous (but excited) pre-dental student

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're a North Carolina resident, I would remove UNC. They're very OOS unfriendly.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't remove them. You never know, they are cheap and they are awesome.
It's not like they take zero OOS.