High Point University Workman School of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And dentistry is not the only thing im doing.
28BDAA0B-CDDF-4BB1-BFFE-D98ECAA6DF9D.jpeg

Big Hoss

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Well once general dentistry is thoroughly saturated, students will look to specialize more to have a competitive salary. Maybe I should start a pedes program with no GRE required, 70 students a class, 100k tuition each. What do you think?
Only if you partner with the Georgia School of Orthodontics…

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i got several interviews and counting buddy. And dentistry is not the only thing im doing. u sound like a loser lol. At the end of the day, graduates from this school will get the same exact dental license as graduates elsewhere, just without taking an unnecessary dat. And the fact of the matter is that u guys can't stand that lmaoooo. get over it my guy, more and more schools r opening up that don't require that stupid pointless test.
It's not stupid or pointless. Taking the DAT allows me to have a chance of acceptance at every other dental school in the country, unlike you. You just have to fight really hard to convince yourself that HPU is awesome because it's going to be the only place you could possibly go with your attitude. What makes you think you will somehow have the mental fortitude required to spend long nights studying for classes or standardized exams in dental school if you are completely incapable of handling easier ones now? God forbid you have to endure some challenges and sacrifices to get into a highly selective career.

It’s not stupid or pointless. You have to take even more standardized exams in dental school and others if you plan on specializing, so if you’re so pent up over an entrance exam that is a standardized way of comparing applicants, then maybe this isn’t the profession for you. Any reasonable dental student understands how HPU weakens the profession. Additionally, the school has yet to receive accreditation, so saying that graduates from this school will receive the same exact dental license as other schools is untrue because it’s very plausible that students will go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt just to receive no license. Interview and attend elsewhere because you would not only sound like a loser but be an actual one to attend an unaccredited and grossly expensive school like HPU
I've taken the DAT, its a stupid pointless test lol. And this is what I mean by ignorant. The only way this school would even accept a class in the first place is if they receive accreditation. They are receiving accreditation next month apparently. If they don't, then nobody is enrolling and we can all stfu lol. If they do receive accreditation, which why wouldn't they, then they will enroll a class and every graduate will receive the same exact dental license as any other graduate at any other school. If you couldn't do the research to figure this all out yourself, maybe this profession isn't for u. A "reasonable" dental student should not be worried about HPU weakening the profession, cuz that makes no sense. Nobody has graduated and started working yet.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not stupid or pointless. Taking the DAT allows me to have a chance of acceptance at every other dental school in the country, unlike you. You just have to fight really hard to convince yourself that HPU is awesome because it's going to be the only place you could possibly go with your attitude. What makes you think you will somehow have the mental fortitude required to spend long nights studying for classes or standardized exams in dental school if you are completely incapable of handling easier ones now? God forbid you have to endure some challenges and sacrifices to get into a highly selective career.
lol bro who are u. You do not know me lol. Incapable of handling easier ones now? my guy i have a masters degree in science and several dental interviews right now. Ive taken the DAT and scored pretty well and its very stupid and pointless. Don't talk like you know me lol, you're hiding behind a computer. And i never said HPU is awesome. I hate every school. Ur the one, along with everyone else, trying super hard to convince yourselves that taking the DAT is necessary for dental school lol. Its so pathetic and unprofessional to hate on ppl who are in the same field as you. Again, ur just mad and can't stand the fact that there will be future dentists who never took the DAT lol. You're a loser bro lol. How u calling urself tooth driller and ur not even a dentist, let alone in school yet? Clown lol. What'd u get on the DAT lets compare scores since ur so in love with that test lol

lol bro who are u. You do not know me lol. Incapable of handling easier ones now? my guy i have a masters degree in science and several dental interviews right now. Ive taken the DAT and scored pretty well and its very stupid and pointless. Don't talk like you know me lol, you're hiding behind a computer. And i never said HPU is awesome. I hate every school. Ur the one, along with everyone else, trying super hard to convince yourselves that taking the DAT is necessary for dental school lol. Its so pathetic and unprofessional to hate on ppl who are in the same field as you. Again, ur just mad and can't stand the fact that there will be future dentists who never took the DAT lol. You're a loser bro lol. How u calling urself tooth driller and ur not even a dentist, let alone in school yet? Clown lol. What'd u get on the DAT lets compare scores since ur so in love with that test lol
Bro really said, "Don't talk like you know me lol" when the guy just called me a loser without knowing who I am lmfao. Let me tell you what the problem is with your logic here kid. DAT Academic Average has a direct correlation with grades in dental school at a correlation coefficient of 0.58, higher than College cGPA of 0.38 and sGPA of 0.34. And what is your basis on the claim that DAT is useless and doesn't prove your ability to succeed in dental school? You don't. You just love spewing nonsense from the back of your ass and maybe even think to yourself how great you are and how pathetic everyone else is lol. What's really "pathetic and unprofessional" is you legit just spreading hate and calling everything a loser when clearly it's you who is the biggest loser with mental issues. I know facts and logic don't apply to you because clearly, you act purely based on personal experiences and your supposed hatred for the world LOL.

Reactions: 5 users
Please get therapy man. You are completely incapable of having a rational conversation that doesn't devolve into name calling or childish behavior. I'm not interested in sharing my DAT score with you because you are hostile and predictable; you will claim to have a higher score, tear me down, and then go on and on about how stupid it all is. Have some self reflection. Your behavior does not show me or anyone else that you should ever have responsibility over patients.

Let's get back on topic and drop the name-calling and belittling. We are on a professional forum, trying to be dental professionals (I hope). Users who cannot get back on the topic of HPU will be removed from the thread so let's not go there :)

Reactions: 6 users
CODA really decided to give HPU initial accreditation. I guess we can open up our own dental schools, too.

Attachments

• coda accreditation.jpg
    coda accreditation.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 112
Heartland dental has transitioned their focus from buying existing dental offices to expanding their footprint via brand new offices. This means for any dentist who signs, you sit around for months, on a draw, hoping patients come so you don't owe them money. The model is questionable, but with HPU being a new pet project, the student body can be trained to be comfortable and functioning dentists for Heartland. It's a great way to supply all of the new offices that existing dentists actively avoid. Great win for private equity, lose for the dental field.
I used to work for Heartland. The new offices are called “De Novo’s.” I worked for an existing office that was bought out with great insurance acceptance and no one to watch me. It was one of my least stressful jobs. Got a TON of CE from them. And $50K sign on bonus.
My biweekly paychecks were not the best though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heartland dental has transitioned their focus from buying existing dental offices to expanding their footprint via brand new offices. This means for any dentist who signs, you sit around for months, on a draw, hoping patients come so you don't owe them money. The model is questionable, but with HPU being a new pet project, the student body can be trained to be comfortable and functioning dentists for Heartland. It's a great way to supply all of the new offices that existing dentists actively avoid. Great win for private equity, lose for the dental field.
From FAQs:

RUMOR: Will I rotate through Heartland dental practices as part of the HPU WSDM?

No. The North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners requires that all graduation requirements for a North Carolina program must be fulfilled in dental practices owned and operated by the respective institution. All practices where learners will complete their experiential education are owned and operated by High Point University—all faculty and staff are HPU employees. Learners may be able to arrange for extramural experiences in locations, such as dental laboratories, dental service organizations, and other locations; however, those experiences will NOT be used as evidence to indicate readiness for graduation.

RUMOR: Am I expected to work for Heartland Dental after I graduate?

No. The dental school does not have any affiliation with Heartland Dental and there are no expectations that graduates will work for their organization. The school is named after Heartland’s founder, Rick Workman, and his wife, Angie, because their foundation, the Rick and Angie Workman Foundation, made a naming donation to High Point University. This donation is being used to support the construction of Workman Hall and to actualize the school’s educational mission and vision.

Reactions: 2 users
From FAQs:

RUMOR: Will I rotate through Heartland dental practices as part of the HPU WSDM?

No. The North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners requires that all graduation requirements for a North Carolina program must be fulfilled in dental practices owned and operated by the respective institution. All practices where learners will complete their experiential education are owned and operated by High Point University—all faculty and staff are HPU employees. Learners may be able to arrange for extramural experiences in locations, such as dental laboratories, dental service organizations, and other locations; however, those experiences will NOT be used as evidence to indicate readiness for graduation.

RUMOR: Am I expected to work for Heartland Dental after I graduate?

No. The dental school does not have any affiliation with Heartland Dental and there are no expectations that graduates will work for their organization. The school is named after Heartland’s founder, Rick Workman, and his wife, Angie, because their foundation, the Rick and Angie Workman Foundation, made a naming donation to High Point University. This donation is being used to support the construction of Workman Hall and to actualize the school’s educational mission and vision.
Thanks for clearing up all of our concerns! This is going to be a stellar program!

1A61298E-FDD3-401A-98DA-E0824C6EA881.gif

Big Hoss

PS: Strong first post! I’m glad you and the other administrators from High Point are working so hard to dispel any disinformation about this obvious diploma mill.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for clearing up all of our concerns! This is going to be a stellar program!

View attachment 376431

Big Hoss

PS: Strong first post! I’m glad you and the other administrators from High Point are working so hard to dispel any disinformation about this obvious diploma mill.
I don't think it's nice to say that about HPU. They were given accreditation for a reason if CODA sees that they passed all the requirements to receive initial accrediation. I'm sure HPU has worked extremely hard to get to where they are. Just like any other dental school - they all have to start somewhere. There's really no reason to be sarcastic with that last part of your comment!
I respectfully disagree. When a DSO opens a school that’s when things become very suspicious. Money talks. Where did he get the money to open a school? Private equity? Teachers pension funds?
Pacific already has their hand in the cookie jar. What’s next? Aspen School of Dentistry?

I don't think it's nice to say that about HPU. They were given accreditation for a reason if CODA sees that they passed all the requirements to receive initial accrediation. I'm sure HPU has worked extremely hard to get to where they are. Just like any other dental school - they all have to start somewhere. There's really no reason to be sarcastic with that last part of your comment!
I get it but with current professionals (dentists) expressing skepticism, I would take notice. This was not the response when Utah and Roseman opened up years ago; it was easy to see needs and market. I was totally gung ho about East Carolina opening up and Campbell's DO program for a similar reason. I'm more hesitant with this one (as a higher ed professional) though I am not connected with the NC Dental Association to sense reaction.

Hello all, I have had my interview with HPU. Has anyone received an acceptance thus far?

I am waiting to be reevaluated from last month. Did you get a call? If so, congrats and are you going to be sticking with attending HPU?
Unfortunately, I did not receive a call today. Did you get a call today? In addition, did you receive an email saying that you would be reevaluated the same day people received calls?

I applied two days ago, and got my recommendations in the same day. Will be taking the Casper tomorrow. Do you remember the turn around time from the time you got your recommendations in to them giving you a classification of “ready”, etc, etc.
Hi, when I completed my application I received an interview about a week later I believe.

Did you already have Casper scores, or did they reach out for an interview before you took it?

I am somewhat worried I’ll be too late and not get an interview or fair chance at admission with my scores not being sent to them for another 2-3 weeks.

Would’ve loved to know about this school months ago when I sent my application to some others through AADSAS
I have already interviewed back in August. I applied when I had my casper scores and duet finished. Let me know if u have any questions You can dm me!

Just throwing in an invitation to take the SJT Experience Survey.

Does anyone know how many students the dental school has accepted so far and if they have reached early commitment capacity?

does anyone know the type of interview style HPU is doing? is it one on one or multi mini interviews with different faculty?

Does anyone know how many students the dental school has accepted so far and if they have reached early commitment capacity?
About 20 students have been accepted so far. I was not an EC and I got an acceptance.

• Okay...
Will you be attending/committing to HPU since you got an acceptance?
I have a few other interviews and waiting for December 15th for those decisions. At the moment, Im planning to attend. However, given I get an acceptance to my preferred dental school I will withdraw my application.

I have a few other interviews and waiting for December 15th for those decisions. At the moment, Im planning to attend. However, given I get an acceptance to my preferred dental school I will withdraw my application.
Would make sure your offer doesn’t state you have to withdraw your other apps should you accept it.

Would make sure your offer doesn’t state you have to withdraw your other apps should you accept it.
is high point part of ADEA?
aren't they supposed to follow the traffic rules???

They had that option for the Early Commitment but I didn't sign up for the EC.

I credit the respondents for wanting the cheapest application process possible. No DAT. No Casper. No AADSAS or secondary fees. Just a completely open door portal. Unlimited updates and loads of options to upload Personal Statements (videos) and update experiences which they feel should be the top criteria for selection (which everyone should have)... It's an interesting article. And in a way they are thumbing their nose at ADEA/AADSAS it feels, thanks to the applicants.

Given the fact the respondents may tailor their messages to resonate with what they think the authors/administrators want to hear... there's a reason to be a skeptical. But at least they show their work. And paid the open-access publication fees forever.

No way this changes the way we do admissions.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't be surprised if this is someone from Heartland trying to make HPU look good lol. Who else would try this hard?

Congrats to all who will be in HPU's first cohort! It is a rare and exciting experience to be the first!:)