High Point University Workman School of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s not a city. It’s a rural area. Right outside Greensboro. High Point University kind of came out of nowhere. I’m not sure who is funding it or where their endowments are coming from, but they have a ton of money and it’s a very nice campus.

NC does NOT need another dental school. They DO need dentists in rural areas. So they opened ECU about 10 years ago. But as expected, a lot of ECU grads are going to cities. Because that’s where people want to live. High Point isn’t looking to fulfill any state needs. And I’m not sure how it will effect NC saturation since it’s 100% private. But it just seems it’s a school that’s in it to make money. If a school opens and doesn’t provide a quota of “state seats” then we know why they opened. Will it be an ok dental school…maybe. Will it close down the road….maybe. But I just don’t support new dental schools that don’t prioritize or support state needs.
How do you know they don't support State needs? How do you know they aren't prioritizing NC residents to become students? HPU has a long standing history of community development and improvement. All schools are "In it to make money" to some extent.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NOPE! It's just a ground breaking program that deserves a fair shake. Lot's of assumptions made on this thread that have no ground in fact.
How many times have I heard “ground breaking” in all levels of education, even back to high school? Lol that is tossed around way too much

Reactions: 2 users
You mean you can’t go ask the Dean who’s sitting in the office next to you?

Big Hoss
I guess SDN traffic really does bother these school administrators enough to come on here and comment. Can’t wait to be offered hush money.

Reactions: 3 users
Granted $80K is high, but when you consider the VA starts dentists at $150K / year with tuition reimbursement, Indian Health Service b/t $150-$200/year, Military and the USPHS is up to about $120K/year and offers scholarships and or tuition reimbursement, even county health dept. in North Carolina offer $100/hour.....that is a reasonable return on your investment. You can work for one of these organizations and be debt free in just a few years.
1681414355331.png

lets look at the idea of a debt to income ratio.

Let's assume your scenario of 200k salary with a minimum of 400k for dental school at HPU or many other schools too nowadays.

so your debt to income ratio is 400k:200k - i.e. 200%.

The Federal Reserve considers 40% or more a sign of financial stress. What would they say about 200%?
Debt for dental school is commensurate with pay after graduation. I don't know of any starving / struggling / dentists...not a one! Unless of course, they spend it quicker than they make it. But a fool and their money are easily parted, no matter what they do for a living.
Of course you don't a single one.

I know plenty of dentists that are struggling with student loans.

Pre-dents, don't fall for the lies of the recruiters.

View attachment 369340

Let's assume your scenario of 200k salary with a minimum of 400k for dental school at HPU or many other schools too nowadays.

The Federal Reserve considers 40% or more a sign of financial stress. What would they say about 200%?

My classmates are getting by, but the day the feds make students pay again, woooooowiiiiiieeeee - it’s going to be a wake up call for these out of control loans

Reactions: 1 users
I love the classic line “You can pay it off eventually. Dentists make 150k a year”
“Laughs in car payment, mortgage, paying for kids”

View attachment 369340

I know plenty of dentist's who spend it before they earn it...house on the lake, jet ski's...fancy cars...2nd year out of dental school...and complaining of their student loan debt fifteen years later. Debt to income ratio is based on the lifestyle you choose. Sorry, but anyone who earns $200K, can live on a $100K and use the other $100K to pay off their student loans for four years...OR apply for a government scholarship (HPSP, USPHS, Army, Navy, Air Force...) and graduate debt free. Piss poor planning or wanting the "Prize" before you're done running the race...and yes, paying off your loans before you start buying expensive practices, cars, houses, and boats...etc is part of running the race.

Heck school teachers and police officers live on far less than $100 a year, and you mean to tell me dentists can't tighten up their belt strap for a few years after school and get it done? Can't possibly live on $100K a year and pay off their loans with the other $100 K? PLEASEEEEeee!!!

Earn your degree, pay off your loans (sweat of your brow or scholarship), buy nice things. That's how it works. But common sense isn't so common these days. Probably think Joe Biden should pay off your loans for you too...HA HA HA!

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 369340

Nope! It's all in writing. If a pre-dent is foolish enough NOT to get it in writing first (from a recruiter) than they are more foolish than I expected. Air Force and Navy are currently offering close to $100K recruiting bonus. That doesn't even include scholarships etc.... that may be available. USAJOBS.Gov also lists plenty of federal opportunities offering b/t $150-$200K AND student loan reimbursement....

Now let's get out the violins for all the poor dental students who can't pay their loans. They just choose not to take advantage of the opportunities that are available.

• Haha
I know plenty of dentist's who spend it before they earn it...house on the lake, jet ski's...fancy cars...2nd year out of dental school...and complaining of their student loan debt fifteen years later. Debt to income ratio is based on the lifestyle you choose. Sorry, but anyone who earns $200K, can live on a $100K and use the other $100K to pay off their student loans for four years...OR apply for a government scholarship (HPSP, USPHS, Army, Navy, Air Force...) and graduate debt free. Piss poor planning or wanting the "Prize" before you're done running the race...and yes, paying off your loans before you start buying expensive practices, cars, houses, and boats...etc is part of running the race.

Heck school teachers and police officers live on far less than $100 a year, and you mean to tell me dentists can't tighten up their belt strap for a few years after school and get it done? Can't possibly live on $100K a year and pay off their loans with the other $100 K? PLEASEEEEeee!!!

Earn your degree, pay off your loans (sweat of your brow or scholarship), buy nice things. That's how it works. But common sense isn't so common these days. Probably think Joe Biden should pay off your loans for you too...HA HA HA!
All this talk. I fully expect a detailed 1 hour long financial presentation to every one of your prospective applicants in interviews. I also expect annual financial awareness training as part of your curriculum. If you talk like this here I expect students at HPU to be constantly reminded of the reality of loans and what they need to do to achieve financial freedom. This however would require caring about the well being of students, which, I have my doubts that graduate professional education would care anywhere you go.

How do you get away with not paying taxes? Unless you want to go to jail, that $200,000 magically transforms into $140,000.

Big Hoss
Ok, $140k…..you can’t live off of $70k for a few years to put yourself in an AMAZING financial position five years down the road???…not to mention whatever income your spouse makes?

Simple formula…work hard / sacrifice for five years after graduation…pay off your debt…buy nice things! (Dave Ramsey approved 😃)

How do you know they don't support State needs? How do you know they aren't prioritizing NC residents to become students? HPU has a long standing history of community development and improvement. All schools are "In it to make money" to some extent.
It’s a private school with insane tuition. They don’t have allotted seats for NC residents. They don’t even mention the state in their mission statement or “about us”. It literally says on the front page of the website you want students from all over the country who have a desire to learn. But what you mean is you’ll take anyone who’ll pay. This school is the biggest red flag yet.

• Haha
It’s a private school with insane tuition. They don’t have allotted seats for NC residents. They don’t even mention the state in their mission statement or “about us”. It literally says on the front page of the website you want students from all over the country who have a desire to learn. But what you mean is you’ll take anyone who’ll pay. This school is the biggest red flag yet.
You are assuming. They are establishing dozens …DOZENS…of community based dental clinics throughout the State, to serve the citizens of NC.

“Insane tuition” is relative to your ability to afford that tuition. Some would say paying $400k for a Lamborghini Hurricane is an insane amount of money to pay for a car that can get you from point A to point B when you can do the same with a $20k Ford Fusion. But for some it’s money we’ll spent.

Private Universities (HPU or others) may not be a wise investment for you…maybe even “insane”, but for others it is money well spent.

All this talk. I fully expect a detailed 1 hour long financial presentation to every one of your prospective applicants in interviews. I also expect annual financial awareness training as part of your curriculum. If you talk like this here I expect students at HPU to be constantly reminded of the reality of loans and what they need to do to achieve financial freedom. This however would require caring about the well being of students, which, I have my doubts that graduate professional education would care anywhere you go.
Not my perspective applicants. As stated before, I have nothing to do with HPU.

Feel free to read my previous post regarding tuition at private universities. No doubt, private university tuition is not for everyone. But that’s ok. There are other cheaper programs out there for those who are interested. However, some folks do have the money to pay higher tuition and don’t mind doing it, for them, it is money well spent.

Why is it that we can no longer respect folks for their choices…Harvard Dental is much more expensive than Temple Kornberg School of Dentistry…so is U of Penn (almost double) but you don’t rally against Harvard or Penn…🤔

HPU may not be for you…but it will be for others…and that’s ok!

Close your eyes and get a good nights sleep little Buckaroo, content with the choice you made for your own education and finances. Be happy for others who make the same choices although they’re different from yours.

Not my perspective applicants. As stated before, I have nothing to do with HPU.

Feel free to read my previous post regarding tuition at private universities. No doubt, private university tuition is not for everyone. But that’s ok. There are other cheaper programs out there for those who are interested. However, some folks do have the money to pay higher tuition and don’t mind doing it, for them, it is money well spent.

Why is it that we can no longer respect folks for their choices…Harvard Dental is much more expensive than Temple Kornberg School of Dentistry…so is U of Penn (almost double) but you don’t rally against Harvard or Penn…🤔

HPU may not be for you…but it will be for others…and that’s ok!

Close your eyes and get a good nights sleep little Buckaroo, content with the choice you made for your own education and finances. Be happy for others who make the same choices although they’re different from yours.
I wasn’t born yesterday. You’re probably a Heartland social media shill doing damage control for the school lol.

Granted $80K is high, but when you consider the VA starts dentists at $150K / year with tuition reimbursement, Indian Health Service b/t $150-$200/year, Military and the USPHS is up to about $120K/year and offers scholarships and or tuition reimbursement, even county health dept. in North Carolina offer $100/hour.....that is a reasonable return on your investment. You can work for one of these organizations and be debt free in just a few years.
What the heck are you talking about? You really think a $150k job can service a 400k loan with interest? You are clueless school employee. You need 300k a year to service these loans and have a life. I challenge you to debate this nonsense.

What the heck are you talking about? You really think a $150k job can service a 400k loan with interest? You are clueless school employee. You need 300k a year to service these loans and have a life. I challenge you to debate this nonsense.
400k loan with 150k salary would require straight up living in a van, which is actually fun

• Haha
400k loan with 150k salary would require straight up living in a van, which is actually fun
Nonsense! Go in the NAVY...Join the USPHS...even the VA has loan repayment. Id there's a will, there' s away... HPSP scholarships too

Nonsense! Go in the NAVY...Join the USPHS...even the VA has loan repayment. Id there's a will, there' s away... HPSP scholarships too

Again you're full of it. Everyone is gonna join these programs? Why don't you think people join them now in droves? There are reasons, go do your research.

You still have not responded to how someone can service 400k with a 150k income. After taxes your 150k goes to about 115k, about 10k a month. To service 400k on a 15 yr loan at around 5.5% if you are lucky to get (fed is about 6.8%), its about 4k a month. PS VAST majority of new grads will make 120k no matter how much crap you say on this board. A few can pull of 150k but that's rare, is everyone getting As in dental school?? Same premise, the gunners will make 150k and the rest of the class is slated at 120k at best! I am veteran dentist, I know the numbers, I know the struggles and I know what is reality. Don't even start with incomes. Delta dental which is the the powerhouse of dental insurances (member number) has held its fees the same since early 2000s so no one should expect an increase in income as dentists. The gunner dental offices net about 300-350k after its all said and done and those are the people that will be able to service these loans. ASK yourself, how much has the cost of dental education increased since 2000 vs the reimbursement that dentists get.

I get very upset when someone comes on here and says stupid things to predental students. Take a ride to the real dental forum on DT and you will be enlightened. Tell me what you do, are you a student or practicing dentist? You have to fall into one of these categories.

Again you're full of it. Everyone is gonna join these programs? Why don't you think people join them now in droves? There are reasons, go do your research.

You still have not responded to how someone can service 400k with a 150k income. After taxes your 150k goes to about 115k, about 10k a month. To service 400k on a 15 yr loan at around 5.5% if you are lucky to get (fed is about 6.8%), its about 4k a month. PS VAST majority of new grads will make 120k no matter how much crap you say on this board. A few can pull of 150k but that's rare, is everyone getting As in dental school?? Same premise, the gunners will make 150k and the rest of the class is slated at 120k at best! I am veteran dentist, I know the numbers, I know the struggles and I know what is reality. Don't even start with incomes. Delta dental which is the the powerhouse of dental insurances (member number) has held its fees the same since early 2000s so no one should expect an increase in income as dentists. The gunner dental offices net about 300-350k after its all said and done and those are the people that will be able to service these loans. ASK yourself, how much has the cost of dental education increased since 2000 vs the reimbursement that dentists get.

I get very upset when someone comes on here and says stupid things to predental students. Take a ride to the real dental forum on DT and you will be enlightened. Tell me what you do, are you a student or practicing dentist? You have to fall into one of these categories.
I financed my eight years of education, worked my ass off and got Uncle Sam to help via active duty service...paid it all off in five years. It can be done! Sorry if that bothers you. I lived off of half my salary (after taxes, obviously) used the other half to pay off loans and took advantage of loan repayment program (Army, Navy, Air Force, USPHS, IHS, HPSP...to name a few) to pay off the rest. It CAN be done. I have class mates who chose a different route and are still paying off loans over a decade later....like I said...different choices have different consequences. and OH YA....traveled all around the world, as they travelled to the same office, turned the same key, looked a the same walls for most of their career.

I financed my eight years of education, worked my ass off and got Uncle Sam to help via active duty service...paid it all off in five years. It can be done! Sorry if that bothers you. I lived off of half my salary (after taxes, obviously) used the other half to pay off loans and took advantage of loan repayment program (Army, Navy, Air Force, USPHS, IHS, HPSP...to name a few) to pay off the rest. It CAN be done. I have class mates who chose a different route and are still paying off loans over a decade later....like I said...different choices have different consequences. and OH YA....traveled all around the world, as they travelled to the same office, turned the same key, looked a the same walls for most of their career.
It doesn't bother me a bit but coming on here and saying its a easy or anyone can do it is complete BS and you know it.

Why dont you speak to cost of education today vs 2020 and amount of reimbursement today vs 20 years ago?

My point on this forum is to let the predental students know that its not all peachy and getting worst with the times.

Any school that is charging double what they were 20 years ago with zero incentives needs to be held accountable.

You keep bringing up the HPSP. Do you have any idea how competitive it’s become? It’s probably significantly less than a 50% acceptance rate. Someone on here mentioned the average DAT for the Navy last cycle was 23 or 24. That’s a higher average than any dental school. It’s almost harder to get the HPSP, than it is to get into the most competitive schools.

Big Hoss

You keep bringing up the HPSP. Do you have any idea how competitive it’s become? It’s probably significantly less than a 50% acceptance rate. Someone on here mentioned the average DAT for the Navy last cycle was 23 or 24. That’s a higher average than any dental school. It’s almost harder to get the HPSP, than it is to get into the most competitive schools.

Big Hoss
Get your degree...apply to Military, USPHS, VA... for tuition repayment...then DAT is not an issue.

Get your degree...apply to Military, USPHS, VA... for tuition repayment...then DAT is not an issue.
That doesn’t make sense. You need the DAT to apply to many things

There are very limited spots to these programs. Soon to be over 7000 students per year and only a few hundred of these spots. The other major issue is, this school is not accredited, and therefore students WILL NOT be eligible for these repayment programs. To students who are looking at this thread, do not to misled by a pipe dream that someone will come swooping in and pay off these huge loans, its all on you, and the reality is many big corps know this and will take advantage of you through terrible contracts, overworking you and paying you a much smaller % of production than you would earn in private practice or through operating your own private business.

Hi, i just found out about this school and program literally 2 days ago and i'm considering it. Can you private message me?

Look through the comments, you would be a fool to attend this school.

Reactions: 8 users
wow lets all join the forces! LOL this guy has no idea, full of it. I wonder if youre the same guy on DT that gets bashed the moment you talk about this university.

Please predents take advice from those of us practicing dentistry, we are people who are doing it and paying the bills, we know the struggle first hand.

I have no idea why some pre-dents don't take this wise advice from current dentists and dental students. I see how so many people have been brainwashed to think this school is legit when it has not received accreditation. Has anyone joined the group chat that someone shared above? I've joined to see what they talk about, and if you say even one thing that is against this school, they snap at you. A few particular people make it sound as if you're the weird one for sharing facts such as this school not being accredited, etc. I thought they were cults.

No DAT, No Pre-requisite classes, No min. GPA sounds sketchy too me, but most pre-dents do not see this and think of it as a way that this school is being a pioneer who tries something new. Those people are insane to think this school would actually be successful. It's so obvious how this school just wants money from those who are desperate to attend any dental school to earn a title as a dentist. To be honest, I think those who have this school as their only option because they are not scoring well enough to go to other schools should not even consider becoming dentists in the first place. If they do not have that capability to do well on the DAT, how are they going to survive in dental school? They just want the easy way, or short cut, to get there when everyone else is literally working their butt off to earn that title and degree. Yeah, someone might say it's all the same degree at the end of the day, but really? I would have so much doubt in the abilities of HPU dental graduates. At the end of the day, it's your choice, but the dentists and dental students on SDN tell pre dents to avoid this school for some reason.

Reactions: 9 users
Heartland dental has transitioned their focus from buying existing dental offices to expanding their footprint via brand new offices. This means for any dentist who signs, you sit around for months, on a draw, hoping patients come so you don't owe them money. The model is questionable, but with HPU being a new pet project, the student body can be trained to be comfortable and functioning dentists for Heartland. It's a great way to supply all of the new offices that existing dentists actively avoid. Great win for private equity, lose for the dental field.

I have no idea why some pre-dents don't take this wise advice from current dentists and dental students. I see how so many people have been brainwashed to think this school is legit when it has not received accreditation. Has anyone joined the group chat that someone shared above? I've joined to see what they talk about, and if you say even one thing that is against this school, they snap at you. A few particular people make it sound as if you're the weird one for sharing facts such as this school not being accredited, etc. I thought they were cults.

No DAT, No Pre-requisite classes, No min. GPA sounds sketchy too me, but most pre-dents do not see this and think of it as a way that this school is being a pioneer who tries something new. Those people are insane to think this school would actually be successful. It's so obvious how this school just wants money from those who are desperate to attend any dental school to earn a title as a dentist. To be honest, I think those who have this school as their only option because they are not scoring well enough to go to other schools should not even consider becoming dentists in the first place. If they do not have that capability to do well on the DAT, how are they going to survive in dental school? They just want the easy way, or short cut, to get there when everyone else is literally working their butt off to earn that title and degree. Yeah, someone might say it's all the same degree at the end of the day, but really? I would have so much doubt in the abilities of HPU dental graduates. At the end of the day, it's your choice, but the dentists and dental students on SDN tell pre dents to avoid this school for some reason.
"they snap at you" u sound super sensitive lol. u also got way too much time on ur hands if ur joining group chats just to see what ppl say. That's rather strange lol go find a hobby bud. Ur a great example of those comments I was talking about lol

"they snap at you" u sound super sensitive lol. u also got way too much time on ur hands if ur joining group chats just to see what ppl say. That's rather strange lol go find a hobby bud. Ur a great example of those comments I was talking about lol
To be fair , it sounds like ur a salty predent who can't get in anywhere but this scammy school lmao.

To be fair , it sounds like ur a salty predent who can't get in anywhere but this scammy school lmao.
i got several interviews and counting buddy. And dentistry is not the only thing im doing. u sound like a loser lol. At the end of the day, graduates from this school will get the same exact dental license as graduates elsewhere, just without taking an unnecessary dat. And the fact of the matter is that u guys can't stand that lmaoooo. get over it my guy, more and more schools r opening up that don't require that stupid pointless test.

• Dislike
i got several interviews and counting buddy. And dentistry is not the only thing im doing. u sound like a loser lol. At the end of the day, graduates from this school will get the same exact dental license as graduates elsewhere, just without taking an unnecessary dat. And the fact of the matter is that u guys can't stand that lmaoooo. get over it my guy, more and more schools r opening up that don't require that stupid pointless test.

It’s not stupid or pointless. You have to take even more standardized exams in dental school and others if you plan on specializing, so if you’re so pent up over an entrance exam that is a standardized way of comparing applicants, then maybe this isn’t the profession for you. Any reasonable dental student understands how HPU weakens the profession. Additionally, the school has yet to receive accreditation, so saying that graduates from this school will receive the same exact dental license as other schools is untrue because it’s very plausible that students will go hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt just to receive no license. Interview and attend elsewhere because you would not only sound like a loser but be an actual one to attend an unaccredited and grossly expensive school like HPU