High Point University Workman School of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think that is at all what they're trying to say. More like every dental school has a standardized process to apply, and that includes a test (DAT). If they don't require it, then really, they are just lowering standards for admission. All these schools are popping up for one reason only: it is becoming more and more profitable to operate a dental school year after year, damn the consequences for the dental field. But hey, what do I know...
Yeah I see what you're saying. At the end of the day they're making $$$ so you're correct. I'm just thinking that since they don't require a standardized test, they probably put more emphasis on your experiences and background when assessing your file, and that might be a better way of searching for candidates rather than just test scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I see what you're saying. At the end of the day they're making $$$ so you're correct. I'm just thinking that since they don't require a standardized test, they probably put more emphasis on your experiences and background when assessing your file, and that might be a better way of searching for candidates rather than just test scores.
That’s a very optimistic view. They’re primarily concerned with getting bodies in the seats who can pass through the program and who will pay tuition.

Reactions: 5 users
Any idea the tuition to go here? I'm assuming it's much higher than carolina or ecu

Members don't see this ad :)
What!? Another School!? They keep popping up

Please keep in mind that if you go this school (or any new school), your chances of specializing are almost 0.05% to none. Residency programs are always skeptical about brand new programs that they have never heard of, have no accreditation, no graduated class, no reference of, no nothing. If you go to this program, you need to be absolutely 100% okay with the idea of being a General Dentist. Otherwise you are going to find yourself disappointed and with a lot of debt…

I currently go to an established dental school, so I'm not biased in favor of new schools.

However, I'm interested to know if any evidence exists to support this claim that 1st cohorts of new dental schools have no specialization chances. Touro's first graduating DMD class had 3 students match OMFS.

I know it's only one school, and it's possible High Point and California Northstate are shadier than Touro, but it's worth noting.

I currently go to an established dental school, so I'm not biased in favor of new schools.

However, I'm interested to know if any evidence exists to support this claim that 1st cohorts of new dental schools have no specialization chances. Touro's first graduating DMD class had 3 students match OMFS.

I know it's only one school, and it's possible High Point and California Northstate are shadier than Touro, but it's worth noting.
If they have a good CBSE score I think they can compete no problem. Dentists aren’t as snobby about where they got their degree.

They had only a handful of post-matches last year though in total for all specialty

That’s a very optimistic view. They’re primarily concerned with getting bodies in the seats who can pass through the program and who will pay tuition.
like most schools lol

like most schools lol

Unlike most schools, a new school doesn't have the luxury of countless qualified applicants vying for the seats. Established schools are usually not worried about people passing (it happens but just a few people a year). A new school that is dropping its admissions standards needs to be worried about people not passing.

As usual, the real risk is always on the students. If things don't work out, the school can always kick them out. However the debt is not going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Dentistry is turning into Pharmacy.
Sad Donald Trump GIF

• Care
Dentistry is turning into Pharmacy.
Sad Donald Trump GIF
I guess the next thing to do is to get over another large barrier of entry and do residency. Or maybe be a super GP. I don’t know what other solution there is.

Members don't see this ad :)
When is High Point Opening thier school?

why do you even care? Which dental school are you going to ?
Tell me about it! The signature for @Ivy.ch says he’s an OMFS resident. It’s not like he’s even a real oral surgeon. Maybe he should just focus on that and ignore all these diploma mill dental schools that keep popping up. I mean doesn’t he have some facial trauma in the ED that he needs to triage?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Tell me about it! The signature for @Ivy.ch says he’s an OMFS resident. It’s not like he’s even a real oral surgeon. Maybe he should just focus on that and ignore all these diploma mill dental schools that keep popping up. I mean doesn’t he have some facial trauma in the ED that he needs to triage?

Big Hoss
So this school is legit or not? Plz say the truth, don't want any issues at this school...

So this school is legit or not? Plz say the truth, don't want any issues at this school...
If it’s CODA accredited then they are “legit” in that they have the ability to grant you a degree. No one has a clue whether you’ll learn a lot there or not.

Read this whole thread, from the first post all the way to your question. I think you can surmise an answer.
you say that but you all still apply to this school like usual.. What about NYU/ USC would you go there ????

you say that but you all still apply to this school like usual.. What about NYU/ USC would you go there ????
There is zero chance I would take 700-800 grand in debt to go to NYU/USC. Dentistry isn’t at all fun for that cost.

Reactions: 2 users
you say that but you all still apply to this school like usual..
Uh, no! Excuse me thank you very much. I do not intend to apply to this school...do not lump me in with those people (that's right, I said "those people", don't @ me) who don't understand basic finances (how expensive are these private programs again? how do people intend to pay them off? realistically, with an actual plan?) or wants to take a chance on a new and not-as-of-yet established program.

Unlike a lot of pre-dents, I do not have a fetish complex with the career of dentistry. It is just a job at the end of the day, a way to make money, not what identifies me. I already have a successful career (six-figures if I relocate back again to the West Coast), and can simply fall back to it if I don't get into my state schools of choice.
What about NYU/ USC would you go there ????
A most emphatic "no!" from me. My VA benefits would barely put a dent in that kind of tuition. Why would I go to a school like that, with that kind of debt level, when my earning potential afterwards will be the same no matter where I go for dental school? Where the letters and license I can apply for will be no different than compared to attending a much cheaper program?

For the prices those schools charge for tuition, I expect to be treated like a prince walking through those halls. I expect to go to the bathroom and see toilet seats made out of gold. I expect hookers and blow after class to blow off steam. I don't attend them, so I cannot say for sure, but I do not believe they offer such a first-class package. So I would not go. And oh, one more thing... this PBL nonsense at USC... so I would pay HOW MUCH to teach myself? Get outta here with that.

Reactions: 4 users
Uh, no! Excuse me thank you very much. I do not intend to apply to this school...do not lump me in with those people (that's right, I said "those people", don't @ me) who don't understand basic finances (how expensive are these private programs again? how do people intend to pay them off? realistically, with an actual plan?) or wants to take a chance on a new and not-as-of-yet established program.

Unlike a lot of pre-dents, I do not have a fetish complex with the career of dentistry. It is just a job at the end of the day, a way to make money, not what identifies me. I already have a successful career (six-figures if I relocate back again to the West Coast), and can simply fall back to it if I don't get into my state schools of choice.

A most emphatic "no!" from me. My VA benefits would barely put a dent in that kind of tuition. Why would I go to a school like that, with that kind of debt level, when my earning potential afterwards will be the same no matter where I go for dental school? Where the letters and license I can apply for will be no different than compared to attending a much cheaper program?

For the prices those schools charge for tuition, I expect to be treated like a prince walking through those halls. I expect to go to the bathroom and see toilet seats made out of gold. I expect hookers and blow after class to blow off steam. I don't attend them, so I cannot say for sure, but I do not believe they offer such a first-class package. So I would not go. And oh, one more thing... this PBL nonsense at USC... so I would pay HOW MUCH to teach myself? Get outta here with that.

King

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

what are you, are you already a dentist or MD?

what are you, are you already a dentist or MD?
He’s neither, he’s applying this cycle I believe(non-traditional). But from what everyone else has said, it’s not worth applying or even attending this school unless you want to be a soulless guinea pig with a ton of debt and no guarantee you’ll pass the boards. I would try to apply to other schools if you can

Why are you focusing on all of these expensive schools? Do you feel you are not competitive for cheaper schools? It's a better idea to improve your competitiveness and attend somewhere cheaper than to settle for a life of debt with these schools.

This is easier said than done; I know, I've been there. However, that is what I did-I did not even apply to those expensive schools in my cycle last year. The school I attend is much cheaper than all 3 of these schools and the relief I have regarding debt is priceless (well sorta, dental degrees overpriced in general lol).

He’s neither, he’s applying this cycle I believe(non-traditional). But from what everyone else has said, it’s not worth applying or even attending this school unless you want to be a soulless guinea pig with a ton of debt and no guarantee you’ll pass the boards. I would try to apply to other schools if you can
NYU and USC I have heard people don't pass boards. They take it 5 times to eventually pass. Also, boards is easier than DAT since you just have to pass right, no score?

Why are you focusing on all of these expensive schools? Do you feel you are not competitive for cheaper schools? It's a better idea to improve your competitiveness and attend somewhere cheaper than to settle for a life of debt with these schools.

This is easier said than done; I know, I've been there. However, that is what I did-I did not even apply to those expensive schools in my cycle last year. The school I attend is much cheaper than all 3 of these schools and the relief I have regarding debt is priceless (well sorta, dental degrees overpriced in general lol).
is passing board harder than DAT or organic chemtisry?

is passing board harder than DAT or organic chemtisry?

It is hard to make that comparison. The content on dental boards and DAT is very different. I am only a D2 but as I understand it boards aren't hard because your dental curriculum is designed to help you pass (and because you work hard for 4 years).

NYU and USC I have heard people don't pass boards. They take it 5 times to eventually pass. Also, boards is easier than DAT since you just have to pass right, no score?
I'm not sure, when I talked to admissions at NYU they seemed pretty confident in their program and for students to pass their board exams. The D4's I spoke with felt that NYU, cant say for USC, definitely prepped them for passing and that they had to take 3-4 MOCK board exams and pass those before they even let you take the real exam. I don't know where you're getting that info, schools graduate dentists to pass the exams because it's all about statistics in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to go to a school that doesn’t prep me well to pass the boards. I could be wrong, but I doubt everyone coming out of NYU is having trouble taking it if they made it out and graduated...unless they're at the bottom of the class. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, when I talked to admissions at NYU they seemed pretty confident in their program and for students to pass their board exams. The D4's I spoke with felt that NYU, cant say for USC, definitely prepped them for passing and that they had to take 3-4 MOCK board exams and pass those before they even let you take the real exam. I don't know where you're getting that info, schools graduate dentists to pass the exams because it's all about statistics in my opinion. I wouldn’t want to go to a school that doesn’t prep me well to pass the boards. I could be wrong, but I doubt everyone coming out of NYU is having trouble taking it if they made it out and graduated...unless they're at the bottom of the class. Can someone confirm this?
Yes they make it soo hard that they barely can graudte from NYU and repeat Years. Had a cousin that went to NYU and failed Boards many times like I said you are reading understand that NYU is a huge last resort dental school for those that didn't get in anywhere they go here. High point is still cheaper than ******* NYU and USC. In addition, the DDS that come out of NYU struggle to do impants and treat patients correctly. NYU is last resort to go..
Also, which school you go to ?

Yes they make it soo hard that they barely can graudte from NYU and repeat Years. Had a cousin that went to NYU and failed Boards many times like I said you are reading understand that NYU is a huge last resort dental school for those that didn't get in anywhere they go here. High point is still cheaper than ******* NYU and USC. In addition, the DDS that come out of NYU struggle to do impants and treat patients correctly. NYU is last resort to go..
Also, which school you go to ?
Not gonna try to argue here on the internet, I just disagree on some points. Schools pride themselves on having their applicants pass the boards first attempt, and NYU has around a 90%+ pass rate for part one INBDE for their classes. Yes I’m sure some students drop out who can’t handle the program or have to repeat years (dental school isn’t easy and it’s not for everyone) but if you’re making it through a CODA accredited program the chances are you will pass the national boards, that’s what the school is trying to accomplish. How much you choose to go in debt is your choice, if it’s your last choice well then that’s your call on what a dental degree is worth to you. And yes, it might be a last resort for some, and others maybe not, however it’s still dental school, it’s still hard. Do you think other dental schools are easier just because they‘re cheaper?

Highpoint isn’t even CODA accredited so there’s zero guarantee you’ll pass the boards or be even able to practice. I’m not sure why you’re arguing about a well established and accredited program vs non accredited, both are going to be ridiculously expensive but at least one you have a good chance at passing and being able to get licensed. (And make some money at least, while the other you may just be stuck in debt and not make money) There’s also plenty of student dentists and practicing dentists saying to avoid it on this thread.

I’m not in dental school yet, the undergrad school I go to is irrelevant. But I’ve read enough on here to stay away from Highpoint at all costs and just stick to the accredited programs and the cheapest ones at that.
Pass Rating class of 15,16,17,&18

Last edited:
Not gonna try to argue here on the internet, I just disagree on some points. Schools pride themselves on having their applicants pass the boards first attempt, and NYU has around a 90%+ pass rate for part one INBDE for their classes. Yes I’m sure some students drop out who can’t handle the program or have to repeat years (dental school isn’t easy and it’s not for everyone) but if you’re making it through a CODA accredited program the chances are you will pass the national boards, that’s what the school is trying to accomplish. How much you choose to go in debt is your choice, if it’s your last choice well then that’s your call on what a dental degree is worth to you. And yes, it might be a last resort for some, and others maybe not, however it’s still dental school, it’s still hard. Do you think other dental schools are easier just because they‘re cheaper?

Highpoint isn’t even CODA accredited so there’s zero guarantee you’ll pass the boards or be even able to practice. I’m not sure why you’re arguing about a well established and accredited program vs non accredited, both are going to be ridiculously expensive but at least one you have a good chance at passing and being able to get licensed. (And make some money at least, while the other you may just be stuck in debt and not make money) There’s also plenty of student dentists and practicing dentists saying to avoid it on this thread.

I’m not in dental school yet, the undergrad school I go to is irrelevant. But I’ve read enough on here to stay away from Highpoint at all costs and just stick to the accredited programs and the cheapest ones at that.
Pass Rating class of 15,16,17,&18
WHere are you even applying to?

To accredited and well established programs
Like NYU, but NYU is a mess and their program people get kicked out a lot... However new dental schools don't do that

Like NYU, but NYU is a mess and their program people get kicked out a lot... However new dental schools don't do that
You also don’t know how the new programs are going to turn out. You’re basically a Guinea pig going in and like I said there’s no guarantee you’ll get licensed or pass your boards with a new program that…again…is not even CODA accredited to teach dentistry yet.

Also, boards is easier than DAT since you just have to pass right, no score?
Boards is more difficult even if it is pass/fail because the volume of information is much higher than the DAT.

With that said, I will be applying to High Point University for the 2024 inaugural class. I hope to see you all there.

• Haha
Boards is more difficult even if it is pass/fail because the volume of information is much higher than the DAT.

With that said, I will be applying to High Point University for the 2024 inaugural class. I hope to see you all there.
what about the bar exam that difficult too? or its easier than the Dental boards?

I'm starting to think you're a troll asking about the BAR exam
NO, if dentistry doesn't work then I have to do law school which needs the bar exam.... SO answer the questions?