This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moodan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Why do you want to be a dentist?"

Me, I went in for the prestige and for myself mainly. And yes, I went after it for the money as well. Being completely honest, talking about community service and all of that never really fit well with me. I never volunteered for anything in high school and all my work experience was paid. I know I might sound like a horrible person but that's just me. I don't mind helping people at all but I never really had any overwhelming urge to volunteer for anything. That being said, the people interviewing can spot "phonies" like a hawk and I kinda witnessed this first hand recently. I have more interviews coming up and I'd like to know how to deal with interviewers who essentially want an applicant who went in for philanthropy-related reasons.

I don't really consider myself a "phony" since I'm intelligent and believe in doing good work and leaving patients satisfied after a visit. That being said, I don't genuinely care about a patient's day at work, his family problems, etc. Once again, I apologize that's just my character, I'm sure I might seem a complete snob. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentistry is a people profession. You need to interact with them; and making connection with them. There are ethic principle that require you to do this and this and that and put patient as your first priority. So I say it would be hard for you to go through school with that mind set tbh.

But other people might say, fake it until you make it. Your call.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to want to be a dentist as well but your honestly is a bit refreshing. Let's be honest, how many of us here would pursue dentistry if the average salary was in the neighborhood of $70K? But one thing's for sure, if you are not a people person, it's going to be a long hard road.

Reactions: 2 users

Me, I went in for the prestige and for myself mainly. And yes, I went after it for the money as well. Being completely honest, talking about community service and all of that never really fit well with me. I never volunteered for anything in high school and all my work experience was paid. I know I might sound like a horrible person but that's just me. I don't mind helping people at all but I never really had any overwhelming urge to volunteer for anything. That being said, the people interviewing can spot "phonies" like a hawk and I kinda witnessed this first hand recently. I have more interviews coming up and I'd like to know how to deal with interviewers who essentially want an applicant who went in for philanthropy-related reasons.

I don't really consider myself a "phony" since I'm intelligent and believe in doing good work and leaving patients satisfied after a visit. That being said, I don't genuinely care about a patient's day at work, his family problems, etc. Once again, I apologize that's just my character, I'm sure I might seem a complete snob. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

The fact that you don't genuinely care or possess empathy should disqualify you from entering such a profession. I applaud your brute honesty and I am not going to take that away from you or belt you for having the balls to type all that out, but geez.... You need a change in your character. None of what you said should truly resonate with anyone on here. You pursue dentistry because it is an altruistic path. The debt is high and the income to debt ratio is horrible for a good long time unless you come from a background with high household income--or get a scholarship.

Best of luck to you.

You have to want to be a dentist as well but your honestly is a bit refreshing. Let's be honest, how many of us here would pursue dentistry if the average salary was in the neighborhood of $70K? But one thing's for sure, if you are not a people person, it's going to be a long hard road.

That's the problem. Forget money. Pick something you would do for free. Then go do that very thing and earn an income from it. It's very simple. Life is too short for you to pick something just because mommy and daddy told you to or because it makes money.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly you can look at this both ways. For me, I do like dentistry but I don't know if I can say that I'm enamored by it. More importantly, I do love helping people and find that I genuinely care about making them happy. And if this job only made $70k (way too little for the ridiculous amount of stress we go through agreed?) i can guarantee you I wouldn't be doing it lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you're either going to have to lie or choose a different profession.

Honestly you can look at this both ways. For me, I do like dentistry but I don't know if I can say that I'm enamored by it. More importantly, I do love helping people and find that I genuinely care about making them happy. And if this job only made $70k (way too little for the ridiculous amount of stress we go through agreed?) i can guarantee you I wouldn't be doing it lol.
This is the truth for 99% of dentists. Not many people would go through undergrad, study for the DAT, possibly go through a post-bacc or Master's Program, and then do an additional 4 years if the average pay was $70K, meaning starting about would likely be around $50K...and that's not even considering the debt.

Money is definitely a factor and that's the honest truth but if it is the only factor or the biggest factor, all I can say is good luck.

This is the truth for 99% of dentists. Not many people would go through undergrad, study for the DAT, possibly go through a post-bacc or Master's Program, and then do an additional 4 years if the average pay was $70K, meaning starting about would likely be around $50K...and that's not even considering the debt.

Money is definitely a factor and that's the honest truth but if it is the only factor or the biggest factor, all I can say is good luck.

I'm glad that we are having this discussion. Do you know the economy sucks and people are doing all this for said $50-70k jobs? You need more than an undergraduate degree nowadays just for a decent paying job. I agree with you that nobody in their right mind should be taking $250k debt (quarter of a million folks!) to enter a profession that pays $70k. But to argue about study time and time in school is a mute argument my friend.

I'm glad that we are having this discussion. Do you know the economy sucks and people are doing all this for said $50-70k jobs? You need more than an undergraduate degree nowadays just for a decent paying job. I agree with you that nobody in their right mind should be taking $250k debt (quarter of a million folks!) to enter a profession that pays $70k. But to argue about study time and time in school is a mute argument my friend.
I do agree with some of your points but I'm pretty sure most of those 50-70k fields study way less than we do. Lots of predents put in 8-10+ study hr days like it's nothing and I can't think of any of my non science friends that come close to this.

This question is to test your intelligence. Everyone in this profession is for the prestige and the money. At the same time not everyone wants to dig in smelly people's mouths for all the money in the world and I, for example, prefer to be a dentist and not a chicken farmer. What else do you like to do?
Generally, I try to avoid cliche answers like "I like helping people". Tell them about good working hours, opportunity to practice independently and be a practice owner, ability to make your own decisions. You may say, that you enjoy working with your hands and tell them about your hobbies.
The ability to relieve somebody's pain and suffering gives me great satisfaction and I like working with my hands.
Ability to interact well with people can help you in your practice, but is not the most important thing

Reactions: 4 users
I do agree with some of your points but I'm pretty sure most of those 50-70k fields study way less than we do. Lots of predents put in 8-10+ study hr days like it's nothing and I can't think of any of my non science friends that come close to this.

What about PhDs? There's a good YouTube video about all the non-science PhDs who are on welfare and food stamps? They study for just as long. Definitely not going to compare difficulty but they definitely put in lots of hours and time.

Members don't see this ad :)
A minimum of 8 years of formal post secondary schooling, upwards of 10+ years, is not something most in their right mind would even consider. It's usually the schooling that scares most people away from MD/DO/DDS type professions, not the debt. Time is valuable and it's not just time and schooling but the level of difficulty. Both play a fairly equal part, imo but to each their own.

This question is to test your intelligence. Everyone in this profession is for the prestige and the money. At the same time not everyone wants to dig in smelly people's mouths for all the money in the world and I, for example, prefer to be a dentist and not a chicken farmer. What else do you like to do?
Generally, I try to avoid cliche answers like "I like helping people". Tell them about good working hours, opportunity to practice independently and be a practice owner, ability to make your own decisions. You may say, that you enjoy working with your hands and tell them about your hobbies.
The ability to relieve somebody's pain and suffering gives me great satisfaction and I like working with my hands.
Ability to interact well with people can help you in your practice, but is not the most important thing
Completely agree with this here.

Do you eat food? I do. No farmers, no food.

Also, I realize it's fun to snark at farmers thinking they are dirty and poor meanwhile having the blessing to pursue a more respected profession, but lots of farmers make bank. There was an episode on Shark Tank that the guy takes in over $200,000 a year. Here's an article on how to make $140,000 a year on 1.5 acres:

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/how-make-140000-year-farming-15-acres

Yeah I think I mainly went this far into dentistry because I enjoyed the challenge of getting this far. Idiotic, yes. I never really considered how interactive this profession was. I may well go into accounting as it is something I mulled over. It's just a shame I had to do so well in my pre-health classes and the DAT. In the end, I will probably do myself a disservice throwing myself into a field I'm not 100% attached to. Thanks for the insight fellows.

"
That being said, the people interviewing can spot "phonies" like a hawk and I kinda witnessed this first hand recently. I have more interviews coming up and I'd like to know how to deal with interviewers who essentially want an applicant who went in for philanthropy-related reasons.

Just curious where did you interview so far?

Yeah I think I mainly went this far into dentistry because I enjoyed the challenge of getting this far. Idiotic, yes. I never really considered how interactive this profession was. I may well go into accounting as it is something I mulled over. It's just a shame I had to do so well in my pre-health classes and the DAT. In the end, I will probably do myself a disservice throwing myself into a field I'm not 100% attached to. Thanks for the insight fellows.

You are guaranteed to fail with this mindset. Do yourself a massive favor and go for a different profession altogether. You will not be successful in dentistry personally, academically, or financially if you aren't committed to it wholly. Stick to desk accounting - you'll make 65k, peak perhaps at 100k over a few decades, interact with few people, stare at computers, crunch numbers, and that's it.

It's astounding to me that people can come this far into their cycles, having interviews, and not realize what to expect top-to-bottom in the dental field. It's an incredibly rewarding field, but the success isn't handed to you.

Dentistry has changed immensely since the late 90's. Reimbursement has changed, insurance is finding a larger presence even in private clinics, and the need for greater outreach in under-served communities to treat oral disease is growing. Tuition has also ballooned. Without military or other big scholarships, you should expect the majority of your income every month to pay off student debt. You're still eating tuna and rice for years if you want to be rich.

As a start-up private or graduated partner dentist, the days of working 3-4 days a week pulling 500k-million after overhead is a pipedream. You can still eventually make that amount in this profession, but it will take incredibly committed investments and initiatives from within to market and brand yourself against the field if you're starting off. Reality: the majority of dentists make somewhere in the realm of 100-120k a year after overhead, taxes, staffing, and other expenses on a 45-60% overhead margin. You can partner or merge with an older dentist, but that also requires many, many years of commitment with established retirees to give their practice to you. Unless you're in the family, you have to prove to most older dentists that you will continue their business legacy, and for the right price (usually 750k-1 million)

You will have highs and lows in this profession, and your interaction with people, the generational relationships you form - that's what keeps genuine dentists going. Serving and lifting others from their personal health predicament is the reason dentistry is so emotionally strong.

Your mindset is so far away from real-world dentistry and what it takes to be really successful, that I would highly, highly recommend you re-consider your life goals. Otherwise, you'll just be another bitter dentist with false hopes and expectations making "only" 90-120k, paying back $3000/month in loan debt for 10 years (nevermind any business expenses), because you didn't expect to put that much work in.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are guaranteed to fail with this mindset. Do yourself a massive favor and go for a different profession altogether. You will not be successful in dentistry personally, academically, or financially if you aren't committed to it wholly. Stick to desk accounting - you'll make 65k, peak perhaps at 100k over a few decades, interact with few people, stare at computers, crunch numbers, and that's it.

It's astounding to me that people can come this far into their cycles, having interviews, and not realize what to expect top-to-bottom in the dental field. It's an incredibly rewarding field, but the success isn't handed to you.

Dentistry has changed immensely since the late 90's. Reimbursement has changed, insurance is finding a larger presence even in private clinics, and the need for greater outreach in under-served communities to treat oral disease is growing. Tuition has also ballooned. Without military or other big scholarships, you should expect the majority of your income every month to pay off student debt. You're still eating tuna and rice for years if you want to be rich.

As a start-up private or graduated partner dentist, the days of working 3-4 days a week pulling 500k-million after overhead is a pipedream. You can still eventually make that amount in this profession, but it will take incredibly committed investments and initiatives from within to market and brand yourself against the field if you're starting off. Reality: the majority of dentists make somewhere in the realm of 100-120k a year after overhead, taxes, staffing, and other expenses on a 45-60% overhead margin. You can partner or merge with an older dentist, but that also requires many, many years of commitment with established retirees to give their practice to you. Unless you're in the family, you have to prove to most older dentists that you will continue their business legacy, and for the right price (usually 750k-1 million)

You will have highs and lows in this profession, and your interaction with people, the generational relationships you form - that's what keeps genuine dentists going. Serving and lifting others from their personal health predicament is the reason dentistry is so emotionally strong.

Your mindset is so far away from real-world dentistry and what it takes to be really successful, that I would highly, highly recommend you re-consider your life goals. Otherwise, you'll just be another bitter dentist with false hopes and expectations making "only" 90-120k, paying back $3000/month in loan debt for 10 years (nevermind any business expenses), because you didn't expect to put that much work in.

Well done on a thorough and elaborate response. I just wanted to say that you shouldn't lump up all accountants as just making $65K and peaking at $100K over a few decades. Maybe that's true in small suburbs or rural areas but not in bigger cities and working for good companies. Here is the average salary for the NYC area. Even not being in a city, the value of an accountant and financial consultants are invaluable--companies know this and pay well for it. He can also look into MBA programs. They pay superbly, but do not go to a budget school as MBA is built on connections and reputation.
image.jpg

I have thought on this for a bit and would like to add..

If you decide to go into dentistry, people are your business. The difference between the 100k dentist and the 500k dentist is the way they interact with their patients.

I have a family friend who is an orthodontist making $1 million/yr. in a midwest town of 70,000 - he's printing cash. But you know what? He earns it. If a patient needs to call his cell at 2 AM on a Sunday because Sally's wire is poking out, he encourages them to. If a patient's cousin's daughter's sister dies, he's at their funeral - I'm not kidding, he goes to at least one a week - if his patient is affected by it, he's there. He does flash cards with patient's photos so that when he sees them in public he can greet them by name and ask them about something they're actually interested in.

The point I am making, is that if you invest value, if you truly invest your time and value and effort into your patients, then you will be repaid ten fold - both monetarily and with karma, I like to believe.

But if you truly don't care about how their day is going, how their wife is doing, what sports teams they like... if you truly don't care about that - and are only in the field for money and prestige, then you're honestly never going to have either.

Take a step back, look in the mirror, and kick it real with yourself - only you know what would make you happy in this short life we have, so decide what that truly is, and then pursue it.

Best,

Reactions: 7 users
Well done on a thorough and elaborate response. I just wanted to say that you shouldn't lump up all accountants as just making $65K and peaking at $100K over a few decades. Maybe that's true in small suburbs or rural areas but not in bigger cities and working for good companies. Here is the average salary for the NYC area. Even not being in a city, the value of an accountant and financial consultants are invaluable--companies know this and pay well for it. He can also look into MBA programs. They pay superbly, but do not go to a budget school as MBA is built on connections and reputation.View attachment 208881

It takes years and years to bring in that dough in accounting - those are managerial, senior-level positions with massive experience to boot. Plus, chances of being hired in that capacity for top companies are 1 or 2 people.

I know people that are accountants; it's definitely not as lucrative but I'm pretty sure it's less debt and a lot less people oriented.

Also friend, to add -

Investment banking (with exit opportunities in private equity), exchange trading, financial consulting... All are fields with great potential incomes with high earners making seven figures and the best making eight and nine.

I have several friends in banking making 100-200k in their first years on Wall Street. If money is the motivation, start looking there.

Best,

There's a lot of stuff available but everything requires hard work. I've heard investment bankers have awful hours lol. He can do his own research and find something that suits him more.

It takes years and years to bring in that dough in accounting - those are managerial, senior-level positions with massive experience to boot. Plus, chances of being hired in that capacity for top companies are 1 or 2 people.

That's what I would've thought too before graduation. Now that I'm in this environment, I can vouch there are "senior" level professionals as young as 25. If you come and work hard, and are good with people, you move up very quick. The key to life is working with people--and dentistry's lifeblood is people. No people, no paycheck. Great response @ptiskyq127.

Do you eat food? I do. No farmers, no food.

Also, I realize it's fun to snark at farmers thinking they are dirty and poor meanwhile having the blessing to pursue a more respected profession, but lots of farmers make bank. There was an episode on Shark Tank that the guy takes in over $200,000 a year. Here's an article on how to make $140,000 a year on 1.5 acres:

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/how-make-140000-year-farming-15-acres
You are too defensive to be a dentist.
It's just an example. Here is another one, since you are soooooooo sensitive. I prefer to work in people's mouths and wouldn't want to be a proctologist, even though they do a noble job
Chicken farming, in my opinion, is not so much a dirty job as a job requiring a certain degree of cruelty tolerance, which I do not possess FYI

You are too defensive to be a dentist.
It's just an example. Here is another one, since you are soooooooo sensitive. I prefer to work in people's mouths and wouldn't want to be a proctologist, even though they do a noble job
Chicken farming, in my opinion, is not so much a dirty job as a job requiring a certain degree of cruelty tolerance, which I do not possess FYI

Thanks. Didn't consider myself overtly defensive or sensitive or been told by that by anyone. But since you know me well, I have a lot homework and thinking to do now. First time I heard dentists can't be defensive either lol.

Best of luck to you friend. Also, not all farmers are cruel to their animals and if you disagree and it bothers you that much then you should be the change you seek.

Thanks. Didn't consider myself overtly defensive or sensitive or been told by that by anyone. But since you know me well, I have a lot homework and thinking to do now. First time I heard dentists can't be defensive either lol.

Best of luck to you friend. Also, not all farmers are cruel to their animals and if you disagree and it bothers you that much then you should be the change you seek.
I am sorry, that my fairly innocent post about inclinations of character caused such a s**t storm on your part.
You might not accept the fact, that you need a change, but just imagine your reaction if professor tells you that project, on which you spent hours, is complete crap. Dental School requires very thick skin

I am sorry, that my fairly innocent post about inclinations of character caused such a s**t storm on your part.
You might not accept the fact, that you need a change, but just imagine your reaction if professor tells you that project, on which you spent hours, is complete crap. Dental School requires very thick skin

Damn. Sounds like you're very angry. No **** storm here. I don't let negative remarks or things get to me so you can keep trying, but you won't be successful--sorry to inform you. I just hope you don't elevate your BP--it's not healthy. Have a wonderful day! :)

Damn. Sounds like you're very angry. No **** storm here. I don't let negative remarks or things get to me so you can keep trying, but you won't be successful--sorry to inform you. I just hope you don't elevate your BP--it's not healthy. Have a wonderful day! :)
Sorry, didn't know you are a chicken farmer

dude, if you are not a people person...WHY would you pick a profession where you have to interact with people every second of the day ?! ...I am speechless. I do hope you somehow find the passion or else I have no idea how you will succeed UNLESS you go into dental research.
What about PhDs? There's a good YouTube video about all the non-science PhDs who are on welfare and food stamps? They study for just as long. Definitely not going to compare difficulty but they definitely put in lots of hours and time.
yea NOT...not comparing difficulty is a fallacy in your argument...I can take 10 years to complete a Phd in art and get paid 60k teaching at a UNI ...how can you compare this to a medical profession which has not only strenuous studying required but also time and also has people's lives at stake...there is more than time investment while going into a medical doctorate profession. I agree with mostly everything else you said. I like your passion.

I have thought on this for a bit and would like to add..

If you decide to go into dentistry, people are your business. The difference between the 100k dentist and the 500k dentist is the way they interact with their patients.

I have a family friend who is an orthodontist making $1 million/yr. in a midwest town of 70,000 - he's printing cash. But you know what? He earns it. If a patient needs to call his cell at 2 AM on a Sunday because Sally's wire is poking out, he encourages them to. If a patient's cousin's daughter's sister dies, he's at their funeral - I'm not kidding, he goes to at least one a week - if his patient is affected by it, he's there. He does flash cards with patient's photos so that when he sees them in public he can greet them by name and ask them about something they're actually interested in.

The point I am making, is that if you invest value, if you truly invest your time and value and effort into your patients, then you will be repaid ten fold - both monetarily and with karma, I like to believe.

But if you truly don't care about how their day is going, how their wife is doing, what sports teams they like... if you truly don't care about that - and are only in the field for money and prestige, then you're honestly never going to have either.

Take a step back, look in the mirror, and kick it real with yourself - only you know what would make you happy in this short life we have, so decide what that truly is, and then pursue it.

Best,
wow! so eloquently and perfectly put...are you a student or a dentist ?

wow! so eloquently and perfectly put...are you a student or a dentist ?

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I'm actually a non-traditional applicant this cycle. Graduated with a finance degree and worked at a major bank in Chicago for a year. Great salary but it just truly wasn't what I wanted. I minored in biochemistry, so I already had a science background and many of the major prereqs, so I went back for two more semesters to finish up some remaining prerequisites, take the exam, and get in shadowing time..

So, currently a student, but if I am lucky enough, a dentist someday!

Few openly admit to have the All Mighty $ and prestige as the motivation behind the quest for dentistry. It is unlikely that adcoms are naive to believe that the interest in dentistry started in infancy and the professed desire to serve both domestic and the foreign underserved. Ds are likely more concerned in identifying those who, upon graduation, might end up making the 5 O'clock News.

If you're going for the prestige and money you're setting up yourself for failure buddy.
I'm 32 years old with a military background and 7 years in the engineering world making above 6 figures. I can tell you plain and simple: if you're looking for what you stated above, go into business or software.
Dentistry is a profession where you must love working with people coupled with the excitement of using your dexterity skills, and the passion for medicine and creativity.
I know someone who graduated from a school in CA 6 years ago. He went into dentistry for the same reasons you are. Today he is in Marketing and Fashion.

You do not want to waste your time on something that doesn't interest you. Find what drives you and listen to your heart! If you find happiness in what you do, everything else would come after.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
If you're going for the prestige and money you're setting up yourself for failure buddy.
I'm 32 years old with a military background and 7 years in the engineering world making above 6 figures. I can tell you plain and simple: if you're looking for what you stated above, go into business or software.
Dentistry is a profession where you must love working with people coupled with the excitement of using your dexterity skills, and the passion for medicine and creativity.
I know someone who graduated from a school in CA 6 years ago. He went into dentistry for the same reasons you are. Today he is in Marketing and Fashion.

You do not want to waste your time on something that doesn't interest you. Find what drives you and listen to your heart! If you find happiness in what you do, everything else would come after.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks man, always helpful reading brutally honest posts like this.

Not really. All you would need is a good assistant and good advertisement. This is on top of being a good dentist

Well what if money is my motivation for doing any kind of work.
Doesn't mean I don't like working with people. Doesn't mean I am not competitive in everything I do. Doesn't mean I don't like to volunteer.

Why can't money be the reason you get out of bed every morning? I don't want to do business cause everyone that I personally know who does business makes mediocre pay which is not what I want...

Well what if money is my motivation for doing any kind of work.
Doesn't mean I don't like working with people. Doesn't mean I am not competitive in everything I do. Doesn't mean I don't like to volunteer.

Why can't money be the reason you get out of bed every morning? I don't want to do business cause everyone that I personally know who does business makes mediocre pay which is not what I want...

Because there are plenty of careers that will make at least as much money as dentistry. Going through all of the hoops in order to become a dentist is an oddly specific career path if money is the only motivation to get out of bed. Engineering, law, accounting, computer science, etc. will make a comparable salary with less schooling and much, much less debt.

Because there are plenty of careers that will make at least as much money as dentistry. Going through all of the hoops in order to become a dentist is an oddly specific career path if money is the only motivation to get out of bed. Engineering, law, accounting, computer science, etc. will make a comparable salary with less schooling and much, much less debt.

You know, I was originally against what you said. But I looked into some other careers and found another option that I would actually just enjoy doing(science related).
So yeah.... I'll be doing a lot of thinking this semester.

Last edited: