How's everyone's PharmCAS going along? 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhhhh, I am just finishing up my PS, hopefully by tomorrow. I want to submit by the middle of this month.

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished my PharmCAS application and e-submitted. $420 :(. Now I just have to wait for my references to submit their LOR. Hopefully I can get them on the ball and submitted by the end of the weekend. In the meantime I'm working on a crapload of supplementals. 3 done, too many more to go.

im starting my pharmcas app right now, hope im not too late.
applying to UoP, UCSF, Western, and Midwestern in AZ :p

is it just me or is anyone else feeling really anxious/stressful/nauseous about the whole application process?

Members don't see this ad :)
LoR received but Transcripts have not arrived yet...oh well focusing on supplementals...

Isn't the rush hour for e-submit on Pharmcas is on OCTOBER...???

I've been checking the archives on when most people e-submit. Since Pharmcas opens in June..I'm guessing July/Aug/ is about early? while October is about right? November is might be late?

LoR received but Transcripts have not arrived yet...oh well focusing on supplementals...

Isn't the rush hour for e-submit on Pharmcas is on OCTOBER...???

I've been checking the archives on when most people e-submit. Since Pharmcas opens in June..I'm guessing July/Aug/ is about early? while October is about right? November is might be late?

When do we have to finish the application if we're trying for the fall 2009 admission?

I haven't got much LOR and EC... yet...

submitted on 8/2 and got an the gpa update email today!! PHEW that seemed like the longest wait ever!

submitted on 8/2 and got an the gpa update email today!! PHEW that seemed like the longest wait ever!

haha same here... I was surprised that it didn't take as long as I had thought

Is there a spot for completing an honors research thesis in PharmCAS? i couldnt really figure it out bylooking at the descriptions for e.c., honors/awards, or work experience. Or is it something to just mention in personal statement/supplemental info kind of thing?

do you have to pay the pharmCAS fee ($140 plus $40 for each addidional) and then pay the school fee (my school is $75)? if so, that is an awfully large amount of money for any college student to have to pay. i hope it is just the pharmCAS fee, help please.

do you have to pay the pharmCAS fee ($140 plus $40 for each addidional) and then pay the school fee (my school is $75)? if so, that is an awfully large amount of money for any college student to have to pay. i hope it is just the pharmCAS fee, help please.

You must pay PharmCAS their fees and then each school has their own supplemental application which will require an additional fee paid directly to the school.

What should I do in terms of telling PharmCAS which PCAT I plan to take? I'm not sure if I am going to take it in October yet. August will be my first PCAT but if I do well enough (fingers crossed), I won't take it in October.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Some of the schools require sup app up front, but I was looking at 2 of the schools I like and they say they will send me the sup app. Is that after pharmcas has received ALL of my stuff(after i e-submit)? Or just after I e-submit even if pharmcas does not have all of my stuff, LOR's...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the schools require sup app up front, but I was looking at 2 of the schools I like and they say they will send me the sup app. Is that after pharmcas has received ALL of my stuff(after i e-submit)? Or just after I e-submit even if pharmcas does not have all of my stuff, LOR's...?

What are those schools if you don't mind me asking ?

Dont have a full listing of the schools, but i think there were 5 I was looking at.

Both Midwestern's, Glendale and Chicago, said they would send you out a sup applicationg after they receive your pharmcas stuff.

UH Hilo clearly states on the sup application, which you can find on their website, to send it "ASAP".

Those are a few examples of both off the top of my head.

By the way, is anyone else still waiting on LOR's? I dropped mine off for my professors in their box the 2nd week in july wiht my resume and any other pertinent info. I guess they haven't stopped by campus yet. Emailed them as well to see if they recevied them and no email response either. sucks. :eek:

BUt my pharmcas GPA should be completed in a few days as i E-submitted about a week ago.

All of my LORs and summer transcripts are in. Just finishing up my PS. I plan to esubmit by August 15th!

pharmcas shows that mine mailed out 7/28 so I am finished other than sitting around twiddling my thumbs.

feels good to not have a monkey on my back.

You slackers.. hahah. j/k I had no summer classes so I had plenty of time to do nothing.

pharmcas shows that mine mailed out 7/28 so I am finished other than sitting around twiddling my thumbs.

feels good to not have a monkey on my back.

You slackers.. hahah. j/k I had no summer classes so I had plenty of time to do nothing.

no supplementals?

Dont have a full listing of the schools, but i think there were 5 I was looking at.

Both Midwestern's, Glendale and Chicago, said they would send you out a sup applicationg after they receive your pharmcas stuff.

UH Hilo clearly states on the sup application, which you can find on their website, to send it "ASAP".

Those are a few examples of both off the top of my head.

Did you or any recieve the sup application from Glendale/Chicago yet? I submitted a while back but haven't recieve anything from them yet. Just wondering if other people are in the same situation.

O M G I finished my personal statement ! It's so eloquent, it's probably the best essay I've ever written. I feel like a million bucks right now !

celebration6_3.jpg

So most of the people that posted in this thread are pretty much done with pharmcas... aaahhhhh!!!!!!
am I behind?
Im still working on my PS and am waiting for my LOR's to come in (professors are on vaca)
still have to add in little details to EC's and things here and there so im thinking about 10 days AFTER the PCAT.

compared to the rest of you, i feel behind!!!!

can someone who is in a similar situation make me feel better and speak up :scared:

O M G I finished my personal statement ! It's so eloquent, it's probably the best essay I've ever written. I feel like a million bucks right now !

That's awesome!! Congrats, you are very lucky... I feel like mine will take me days and days followed by more days. I just can't seem to get started, it's so annoying!!

That's awesome!! Congrats, you are very lucky... I feel like mine will take me days and days followed by more days. I just can't seem to get started, it's so annoying!!

Yeah mine took about a month. :( Just start writing/typing and don't worry what you are putting down. THEN go back and change it. I wrote the funniest first 2 essays...the first one sounded SO flakey (it's hilarious to me now,) the second one was WAY too deep, and then the third one was the one. I actually laughed because somewhere on here I read that someone else did pretty much the same thing. :laugh:

YOU CAN DO EEEET!

WOOT! I just e-submitted today!!! Now to wait for supplementals... :(

So most of the people that posted in this thread are pretty much done with pharmcas... aaahhhhh!!!!!!
am I behind?
Im still working on my PS and am waiting for my LOR's to come in (professors are on vaca)
still have to add in little details to EC's and things here and there so im thinking about 10 days AFTER the PCAT.

compared to the rest of you, i feel behind!!!!

can someone who is in a similar situation make me feel better and speak up :scared:

I'm not sure if I'm here to make you feel better or make the both of us feel worst. But I only finally got the first draft of the PS done, still waiting for the LOR from a Prof who's not responding ( I emailed 5 times, called twice). I'm hoping to submit by Sept 1st, in time for UOP's tier 2.

Does anyone know if it's better to put scholarships in the awards section as opposed to Honor's Societies? Or should I do half a half.

do all pharmacy colleges require pharmcas?

do all pharmacy colleges require pharmcas?

Nope, not all pharmacy colleges require the use of pharmcas to apply. Majority of pharmacy schools do, but there are some that do not participate in pharmcas, and you just have to go to their website to see what the application process is.

Does anyone know if it's better to put scholarships in the awards section as opposed to Honor's Societies? Or should I do half a half.

From PharmCas:
"Application > Honors and Scholarships
In this section Please list honors, awards, and merit-based scholarships in order of importance to you (limit 5).

Application > Extracurricular
In this section Please list each extracurricular, leadership, volunteer, and/or community activities in order of importance to you (limit 10)."

If you have more than 5 scholarships you wish to list (less than 5yrs old), I would just put them in the Honor section. If you have more than that + more honor societies. Just list the honor societies 1st under your Extracurricular activities. But don't take up all the extracurricular with honor societies because they want to see you be well rounded and plus you get more room in that section.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the info. so far. I'm looking at the various honor societies I was invited to during my undergraduate years and am not sure which ones to include or leave out on PharmCas. I am not sure if any of them are more prominent than the others.

·. .Phi Eta Sigma Member
·. .Alpha Lambda Delta Member
·. .Gamma Beta Phi Nominee
·. .Phi Beta Delta Nominee
·. .Phi Kappa Phi Nominee
·. .Sigma Alpha Lambda Nominee

Second question: I couldn't afford to join all of those. If I was invited to join the honor society, but didn't join due to lack of money, could I still put them on my PharmCas?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

After reading that statement by PharmCAS, it made me even more confused though. So what if...I volunteered somewhere (let's say a pharmacy) and then they decide to hire me later. Do I put it as both extracurricular for the time I volunteered, and then work experience for the time after? Or..just under work experience because it may be counted as "volunteer work experience".

What is "volunteer work experience" supposed to mean???

Hey Diana,

From what I understand, that's exactly what you would do. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I put the time that I was working for free under the "extracurricular time" and then from the point I was hired I put it as a job.

Ok so I can finally say this...I submitted my PharmCAS!! :)

When I looked at the status of my transcripts, it said that PharmCas had not received them yet. I called the schools today to find out when (and if) they were in fact sent out. I had one school tell me it was sent to PharmCas on the 9th and the other was sent out on the 13th. Does it just take a while to update the transcript status with PharmCas??

Ok so I can finally say this...I submitted my PharmCAS!! :)

When I looked at the status of my transcripts, it said that PharmCas had not received them yet. I called the schools today to find out when (and if) they were in fact sent out. I had one school tell me it was sent to PharmCas on the 9th and the other was sent out on the 13th. Does it just take a while to update the transcript status with PharmCas??

Mine took an average about 9 total days from the date I wen to the school and the date that it was updated on pharmcas.

Hey Thanks so much PrepharmKid

I checked PharmCas this morning and they received the earlier one today so that must means that the other one will be received in a few more days. :)

I'm taking my "in progress" courses at another university and I sent them my transcript from that school as well. For some reason though, it is not listed under the "transcripts status" I'm guessing that's because these are classes I am in the middle of taking?? I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

What type of personal statement is everyone writing? Is it story-esque (dramatic turning point of some kind) or an explanation of your desire to pursue pharmacy?

What type of personal statement is everyone writing? Is it story-esque (dramatic turning point of some kind) or an explanation of your desire to pursue pharmacy?

mine is a little of both. i think that's important in a personal statement :) drawing the attention of the reader while telling them about yourself and why pharmacy is for you ;)

My girlfriend is going to help me put the finishing touches on my personal essay... and also help me with one supplemental...

But hopefully I will have my application submitted to pharmcas by the end of the week, and all my references in by the end of the month in september.

mine is a little of both. i think that's important in a personal statement :) drawing the attention of the reader while telling them about yourself and why pharmacy is for you ;)

Mine kinda started with a personal story leading up to why I think being a pharmacist is such a great career and how I want to end up as a person in that career. Something like that anyway.

This thread makes me feel like such a loser. I just decided in June that I was going to apply this year, and I started on the pharmcas right away. I had the bulk of my credits on 1 transcript, and just got 1 last week, and am waiting on 1 to input grades. Today I finished off sending off requests for transcripts to PharmCas. 1 of my references is already in, 1 is still pending, and I have to catch up with an old professor this month to get the last one settled out. She is willing and ready, so it shouldn't take her long, and I just need to remind the second one. I have several drafts of my personal statement started, but now that I have taken the final in my summer class, I have time to finish it this weekend. My goal is to e-submit by Monday night. By the time pharmcas gets done doing my grade calculations, the last 2 references will be in. I just hope I'm not to late, cause I'm a month behind what I had planned.

Good luck everyone!

no supplementals?

supplementals have been mailed out since early july.

Pharm cas is what took so long. I have been finished with everything other that sitting around waiting for about a month now.

I just submitted my PharmCas application! Finishing my personal statement was such a relief because I really struggled in the beginning with it. You just have to keep editing it and get people who you trust to help you.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the info. so far. I'm looking at the various honor societies I was invited to during my undergraduate years and am not sure which ones to include or leave out on PharmCas. I am not sure if any of them are more prominent than the others.

·. .Phi Eta Sigma Member
·. .Alpha Lambda Delta Member
·. .Gamma Beta Phi Nominee
·. .Phi Beta Delta Nominee
·. .Phi Kappa Phi Nominee
·. .Sigma Alpha Lambda Nominee

Second question: I couldn't afford to join all of those. If I was invited to join the honor society, but didn't join due to lack of money, could I still put them on my PharmCas?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

You should only put the ones you are actually a member of (i.e., the ones you joined).

Can someone offer an honest opinion...I have taken the pcat 3 times and my highest comp is 64. I should probably have chosen the no score option for the first time as i didn't even prepare for it. Now i plan to fully prepare for the oct 18th pcat but i want to submit my pharmcas application today or tomorrow. Should i have my previous scores sent to pharmcas before taking the october one or should i just wait it out until after they receive the oct result? My fear is that they might make up their mind and reject me before they even receive the oct score. I also don't want to waste time applying this year, i want everything submitted as early as possible so that their can be seats available. What do you all think?

YAY!! Just e-submitted!! Now on to supplementals!