Illinois CVM c/o 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Random question...are there any current students on this thread who brought horses to school and can recommend some boarding options nearby? I really liked Illinois at my interview and would seriously consider it if accepted. My horse is a semi-retired pet who I ride 3 times per week at most, so I'd prefer a more laid back place rather than a show barn.

Ditto!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the cost of living like in Urbana-Champaign? Also is it usually pretty easy to find housing?

I'm from Denver, so the cost of living to me is extremely cheap. I'm paying 565 right now with everything included. I take out only 1000 per month in loans for cost of living considerations. My law school roommate and I are looking to move and pay no more than 600 a piece and we're having no shortage of options.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from Denver, so the cost of living to me is extremely cheap. I'm paying 565 right now with everything included. I take out only 1000 per month in loans for cost of living considerations. My law school roommate and I are looking to move and pay no more than 600 a piece and we're having no shortage of options.
Thank you! If you don't mind my asking, how far from the school do you live? Is it too far to walk/bike?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! If you don't mind my asking, how far from the school do you live? Is it too far to walk/bike?

I live 5 miles south of vet med in tolono, but am planning on being closer/more so in town. A small part of that is the inconvenience of where I live, but not majorly so. I personally don't bike/walk cause I'm lazy and hate being cold. But there's one guy in my class that rides his bike everyday, and I've heard of others in other classes that do the same. It's definitely feasible if you're willing to do it.

Just got an email - accepted IS!

Reactions: 7 users
Wait what?!? I thought it was by snail mail! Next week!?

Im OOS and I havent gotten an email. Maybe going first IS then OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question...are there any current students on this thread who brought horses to school and can recommend some boarding options nearby? I really liked Illinois at my interview and would seriously consider it if accepted. My horse is a semi-retired pet who I ride 3 times per week at most, so I'd prefer a more laid back place rather than a show barn.
I don't have a horse or board, but I have seen a few stables mentioned in our Facebook vet student group (which you will be invited to if you go to U of I) - Misty Pine Stables and East Urbana Stables.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted OOS!!! So excited to have somewhere to go this year!! Do y'all know if UI allows you to get in state tuition after the first year?

Reactions: 4 users
If you haven’t heard what does that mean??

Accepted OOS!!! So excited to have somewhere to go this year!! Do y'all know if UI allows you to get in state tuition after the first year?

You cannot unless you are married to someone who makes the equivalent or more to the cost of tuition

Reactions: 3 users
You cannot unless you are married to someone who makes the equivalent or more to the cost of tuition
I guess it's time to get a Farmer's Only account, then...

Accepted OOS! The most surprising email I’ve ever gotten hahaha

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
We’re all shocked over here that
1. Emails were sent out
and that
2. FOUR DAYS AFTER INTERVIEWS. SO EFFICIENT.

Reactions: 10 users
Yes, I’ve been waitlisted. IS. Received my email at 4:15pm. Second year in a row

A little late to the party but accepted OOS! So excited! Congrats everyone!

Current Illinois third-year here. Just stopping in for my annual SDN visit to congratulate everyone! If you're still waiting to hear, good luck! I ordinarily try to make an appearance earlier, but I actually helped with interviewing this year and I didn't want to potentially sway my opinions beforehand. In addition it seems that Illinois has gained some SDNer's in the last couple years, so that's fun! I am the current SAVMA President (a lesser version of a student body president) and I regularly meet with Deans and faculty so if you have any questions/needs/issues feel free to DM me. I will be on clinics before any of you arrive here, but I wish you all the best! Don't hesitate to reach out or use Bats + friends as a resource!

And no, I did not know they would email this year, that is new and quite shocking. But yes, I did know that today would be the day ;)

Congrats everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
We’re all shocked over here that
1. Emails were sent out
and that
2. FOUR DAYS AFTER INTERVIEWS. SO EFFICIENT.
I am shook. Meanwhile we start PD in two weeks and still don't have those schedules :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Current students: why did you choose illinois?
I was personally very excited about the various ways UIUC prepares their students for clinical/real life work. For context, I want to work small animal ER. The fact that you get clinical rotations your first and second year was huge for me, and our Clinical Skills Lab (countless models and tools for practicing clinical and technical skills ie scrubbing, blood draws, suturing..) really made me interested in the school overall.
I also was impressed by the curriculum and the idea that the courses are meant to be interconnected. Tbh, thus far first year sometimes the classes aren’t really all too coordinated, but at times they do overlap really nicely and that’s super cool and a great way to learn things!

And lastly, I will admit I’m in-state and tuition is honestly a major thing to consider. So that was a nice little bonus.