This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this list in order? If so, I would personally put UT Houston higher on the list... at least higher than Houston Methodist Hospital/St lukes/Cook County. Is there a particular reason why you are putting Houston Methodist Hospital higher than UT Houston? I don't know Cooper University or UConn but I might even rank it #1.
UT Houston has all Amgs and no imgs at all and I felt that I would be kind of lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Embarrassed to talk about these programs when most of the people here are talking about some really good university programs but any input would be HIGHLY appreciated! Mt sinai Queens or Mt sinai Elmhurst? Confused about how to rank these two.

Embarrassed to talk about these programs when most of the people here are talking about some really good university programs but any input would be HIGHLY appreciated! Mt sinai Queens or Mt sinai Elmhurst? Confused about how to rank these two.

In a recent thread whoknows2012 did comment on these programs. So I guess you should be fine

Hi everyone. I am a visa requiring img applying for IM. I am interested in a fellowship maybe cardio or GI. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me with the ranking of the following programs.

Uconn
Cooper university
Methodist Houston
St lukes roosevelt
Cook county
University of texas- Houston
Kansas university medical center
Yale/Bridgeport
University of Oklahoma
SUNY Upstate medical center
Alleghany
St Elizabeth Boston
Maimonides

Thanks!

I am merely another IMG applicant but agree with the comment above. You should put Univ programs higher on your list. Personally I would put UT-Houston as your top 3 if not #1.

Reactions: 1 user
In a recent thread whoknows2012 did comment on these programs. So I guess you should be fine

@Enzymaticdegradation neither of those would be considered “great” community programs but they still offer good training in the NYC area (which for many people remains a very desirable spot). I believe elmhurst would get the edge over Sinai queens hospital center but I have to say I don’t know much about either. Elmhurst is maybe a bit more we’ll known, until now I had never heard of Sinai queens

What do you think about alleghany, st elizabeth boston, U Oklahoma and SUNY upstate

All good program. Allegheny is a favorite among we IMGs, in house fellowships, nice people etc.
SUNY also a good program. Don’t know much about Oklahoma. St Elizabeth is underrated. From what I know: SUNY>Allegheny>/=St Elizabeth. Also depends on what fellowships you are interested, if you are.

I noticed you interviewed at Beaumont Dearborn. I was just wondering what you thought of it, cuz I interviewed there too

It seemed okay, but I would have liked it better if there was a presentation on the highlights of the program and the other benefits, and schedule...etc. Unfortunately, we were not taken on a tour and barely had any resident interaction. So, I am still not sure what their schedule except for what is on their website. Again, not sure if the website has been updated recently. They did say they had a cath lab and dialysis unit.. All in all, not the best experience, but it was an experience.

Hey everyone I'm a visa requiring IMG, would appreciate some insights and help on my rank order list. Fellowship interest : undecided maybe hem/ onc or cards. Visa: J1 (haven't taken Step 3)
1. UConn
2. MedStar Washington Hospital, DC
3. East Carolina University
4. Rochester General Hospital
5. Saint Peters University Hospital
6. MetroWest Framingham
7. Loyola MacNeal Hospital
8. Carle Foundation Hospital
9. University of Hawaii
10. SSM St Mary's St Louis
11. Marshfield Clinic
12. St Joseph Mercy Oakland, Pontiac

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am a visa requiring img applying for IM. I am interested in a fellowship maybe cardio or GI. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me with the ranking of the following programs.

Uconn
Cooper university
Methodist Houston
St lukes roosevelt
Cook county
Yale/Bridgeport
University of Oklahoma
Alleghany
St Elizabeth Boston
Maimonides

Thanks!

Do you have a location preference? This seems random to me. Also why Cooper over UT Houston? Looks like the strongest program on your list.

About Cooper, Are they really interested in IMGs? The IMG interview day was a little off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. I am an non-US IMG, and would greatly appreciate your feedback on racking of the following programs. Future interest is Hem/onc fellowship. Have taken Step 3, and would prefer an H1b visa:

Jacobi
Mt Sinai - SLR
Medstar/WHC
Pennsylvania hospital of the UPenn
St Elizabeth - Boston

Hi guys. I am an non-US IMG, and would greatly appreciate your feedback on racking of the following programs. Future interest is Hem/onc fellowship. Have taken Step 3, and would prefer an H1b visa:

Jacobi
Mt Sinai - SLR
Medstar/WHC
Pennsylvania hospital of the UPenn
St Elizabeth - Boston
The top three look good in that order. Don't know much about the 4th program to choose between 4 and 5.

Hello everyone, would appreciate your insight on this rank list for possible GI fellowship, no geographic limitations.

Case
Maryland
Tufts
GWU
Utah
West virginia
Missouri-Columbia

Hey everyone,

I'd appreciate any input on ranking these programs.

MSU, East Lansing
Texas Tech, Amarillo
Uni at Buffalo/Sisters of Charity
Brooklyn Hospital

Hello everyone, would appreciate your insight on this rank list for possible GI fellowship, no geographic limitations.

Case
Maryland
Tufts
GWU
Utah
West virginia
Missouri-Columbia
If that's Case-UH then:
Utah
UMD/Tufts/Case
GW
UMC/WV

If it's MetroHealth, lump it in the last group.

Any input on Mercy Medical Center in Chicago vs. Oak Hill hospital?
I know oak hill. It's an HCA program that's about 4-5 years old. Random location but close enough to Tampa and Orlando to be able to make day trips. Low cost of living. They're getting better at research, but still not quite as much as other HCA programs in FL. But they did have 100% board passage last year, which is nice. Fellowship matches are improving, I think they had people getting pulm/crit and rheum this year, but not cards or GI yet as far as I know. I think if you're interested in competitive fellowships, it may not be the best option. But it's a good non malignant culture in a decent location with good weather and solid primary care training. PD is very receptive to improvements and suggestions.

My only knowledge of Mercy is that there was a shooting there a few months ago. Not trying to put down Mercy, but I think safety is an important factor to consider, especially if you didn't know. Good luck in deciding.

Case
Maryland
Tufts
GWU
Utah
West virginia
Missouri-Columbia

I would put it as Case> Tufts>GWU>UMD>West virginia/missouri-columbia> Utah.

Regional preferences matter a lot for fellowships. CWRU and Tufts have a number of excellent institutes in the vicinity.

Regional preferences matter a lot for fellowships. CWRU and Tufts have a number of excellent institutes in the vicinity.
But Utah has a national reputation that only Case (and maybe UMD) come anywhere close to having.

Hey everyone. I am a non-US IMG, need visa and wish to do fellowship in Cardiology later. Can someone share their opinion regarding the order of these 6 programs?
1. UT San Antonio
2. Univ of Arkansas
3. SUNY Downstate
4. SUNY Upstate
5. Univ of Illinois at Peoria
6. Cook County

Unless you truly prefer downstate over upstate, on no list should downstate be above upstate. And I would also put cook county above peoria from a hands-on perspective. Cook county is a well-respected community program that is, IMO, much better than a low-tier uni like UI Peoria. Also, don't know your geographical preference, but Arkansas is pretty rough.

Uconn
Cooper university
Methodist Houston
St lukes roosevelt
Cook county
Yale/Bridgeport
University of Oklahoma
Alleghany
St Elizabeth Boston
Maimonides

Thanks!

UT- Houston should be moved up, so should upstate. I'd move UConn down in exchange for both houston programs, especially for cards.

Why? On Doximity, SLR is ranked higher, way higher

Doximity, while it's all we have, is a pretty dodgy rating tool. It shouldn't be looked upon as the end all be all.

Reactions: 2 users

GWU is not as strong a tier as UMD or Utah. As said above I would put Case/Tufts/UMD in the same tier.

This is way off base. Umd is leaps and bounds better than GWU. Tufts regional location is only helpful if people were matching into fellowships in the Boston programs (besides bmc) and they aren’t. Much better off at Utah and umd and it’s not even close

@onelonewolf to back up my claim about tufts, In cardiology GI hem onc pulm cc and rheum, the 5 most competitive subspecialties, all of one person matched at a Harvard program, mgh in cards, since 2015. A few at bmc, many others at tufts. I’m sure the training is good but we should be clear and factual about our ranking recommendations

Hey everyone. Any input on ranking these programs?
I am a Non US IMG. Fellowship interest: hem/onc or cards. Thank you !
1.MedStar WHC vs East Carolina University
2.Loyola MacNeal vs Carle Foundation Hospital vs MetroWest Framingham

Hey guys, I would appreciate any input in terms of ranking the following programs:

UPMC - Mercy
UCSF - Fresno
Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
Hackensack - Palisades
Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education Program
AU/UGA Medical Partnership

I have no geographical limitations, I want to base my decision solely on the program.

Appreciate all the input :)

Last edited:
hello everyone.
Methodist vs uconn vs St lukes roosevelt?
Future plans- fellowship not sure which one.

Hey guys! How would you rank the following? I prefer an H1b visa.

Tufts
Mount Sinai/ St. Luke’s
University of Arkansas
UMass
Penn State University
University of Arizona
Albert Einstein Philly
Beaumount - RO
MetroHealth
UMKC
University of Toledo
Medstar Washington Hospital Center
Oklahoma University
University of Missouri
Creighton University
Albany Medical Center
Ascension St. John Hospital

hello everyone.
Which methodist? Houston Methodist Hospital? Brooklyn Methodist? Do you have any geographic/visa preferences?

hello everyone.

I would rank SLR> Houston Methodist> UConn. All three are very good programs with great fellowship opportunities. Depends on which city you would like to live in at the end.

Its Houston Methodist and no location preferences.
I did not interview at UConn so I don't have an opinion on it. Overall based on my perception of quality of training, I would rank Mt Sinai SLR>Houston Methodist. However, it also depends on financial situation (COL in NY >>> Houston) and visa preference if needed (SLR offers H1b vs Houston Methodist offers only J1). Ultimately, I think both are very strong options

But Utah has a national reputation that only Case (and maybe UMD) come anywhere close to having.
Tufts was actually one of the first hem-onc formal training programs in the country. Still have some world-class faculty. George Washington University has a stellar name as well. These two are definitely way above Utah for reputation.

Rutgers NJMS vs Mount Sinai St. Luke/West? Any input would be appreciated.

Tufts was actually one of the first hem-onc formal training programs in the country. Still have some world-class faculty. George Washington University has a stellar name as well. These two are definitely way above Utah for reputation.

You are very wrong my friend. What is your basis for feeling like an expert in this area?

An intern and you feel like you’ve navigated the profession enough to feel confident in your recommendations?

Tufts having the first hem/onc program is irrelevant. GWU is << Georgetown and UMD regionally. The good “name” is mostly for its undergrad, the medical school is also good but the IM program is while academic does not have the prestige of umd or Utah. @gutonc @MeatTornado

Last edited:

Tufts
Mount Sinai/ St. Luke’s
University of Arkansas
UMass
Penn State University
University of Arizona
Albert Einstein Philly
Beaumount - RO
MetroHealth
UMKC
University of Toledo
Oklahoma University
University of Missouri
Creighton University
Albany Medical Center
Why st Luke’s over all those uni programs?

Really ? You are telling an academic hem/onc which are the better academic hem/onc programs? Ballsy....

Reactions: 1 users
Why st Luke’s over all those uni programs?
Because it sponsors H1b and their fellowship match is comparable to (or sometimes better than) most of the university programs in my list. Where do you think it should be if visa wasn't an issue?

Tufts
Mount Sinai/ St. Luke’s
University of Arkansas
UMass
Penn State University
University of Arizona
Albert Einstein Philly
Beaumount - RO
MetroHealth
UMKC
University of Toledo
Oklahoma University
University of Missouri
Creighton University
Albany Medical Center
Have you confirmed Tufts gives H1b visa? I was under the impression they did not. Also (just out of curiosity hahah), did you get an email fro Albert Einstein Philly confirming H1b visa sponsorship?

Have you confirmed Tufts gives H1b visa? I was under the impression they did not. Also (just out of curiosity hahah), did you get an email fro Albert Einstein Philly confirming H1b visa sponsorship?
We can't know if Tufts will sponsor H1b until the match so they may not.
Einstein said they will sponsor J1 only. Do you know if they will sponsor H1b for anyone?

Einstein said they will sponsor J1 only. Do you know if they will sponsor H1b for anyone?

It won't hurt to ask them. Nevertheless, the intern told me that no one in the pgy1 class was sponsored H1b.

Regarding Einstein Philly: They sent an email asking what our preference was... I replied that H1b. Later I got an email saying that they had discussed all applicants seeking H1b visa sponsorship and if I match there I should expect J1 visa hahah. I am not sure if some people will get sponsored H1b and the rest J1 or if everybody gets J1 or how their selection process works. Although, to be honest I am glad they told me because during interview day they mentioned H1b visa sponsorship and it would have been a very unpleasant surprise to find out match day that they would only sponsor J1.

Really ? You are telling an academic hem/onc which are the better academic hem/onc programs? Ballsy....
Meh...I don't really give a s***. I'm not sure why I keep coming back to give helpful advice in this dumpster fire of a thread.

But...you know, good luck everybody.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.