IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're always welcome! We all will get exactly what we want. It's only a matter of time! Some days soon, we we will all look back to this stressful moment as a silly past! We will not forget how we are being treated now. We will use this lesson to become better PDs, interviewers and GME teams that think of candidates as humans with feelings.
And you think that the current crop doesn’t?

And the saying is that you will get what you need...not what you want...

Members don't see this ad.

Any inputs on this please

It depends a lot on what you are looking for. Like which of those places have a location you want or fellowships you are interested in and how well you felt about the hospital and personalities you encountered while you were interviewing there. 2 people could go on the same interviews and rank them very different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my 2nd and 3rd rejections from KP-LA... I get it! Lol
And also rejection HCA Las Palmas

And you think that the current crop doesn’t?

And the saying is that you will get what you need...not what you want...

:bored:

Wow... hey since it’s gonna be christmas and all why don’t you make a new year’s resolution to stop being so god damn negative all the time :)

Maybe you can start 2020 by finding a new hobby or something better to do than coming to a web forum everyday and criticizing well intentioned post like Znations’

Reactions: 4 users
:bored:

Wow... hey since it’s gonna be christmas and all why don’t you make a new year’s resolution to stop being so god damn negative all the time :)

Maybe you can start 2020 by finding a new hobby or something better to do than coming to a web forum everyday and criticizing well intentioned post like Znations’
Really? I’M the one that’s being negative? When he is calling all those PDs and attendings that take the time to interview and heck even stay in GME as oppose to going into private practice where they can make a whole lot more money as being unfeeling and not treating applicants as human?
Do you even understand the amount of work that goes into the interview season? How much of that is volunteered time...no one gets paid extra to spend the time reviewing applications, taking the time to come to lunches and dinners, spending time interviewing applicants and going to meetings to rank applicants...the hubris of that post...WE will do so much better than those that are doing this job...you have no idea what the job entails and yet you, with no medical experience, can do not better...dunning -Kruger at its best!

Good luck...but don’t let that attitude that you are better than those doing their job show through...

No wonder most attendings have given up on this thread...smh...

Reactions: 1 user
Really? I’M the one that’s being negative? When he is calling all those PDs and attendings that take the time to interview and heck even stay in GME as oppose to going into private practice where they can make a whole lot more money as being unfeeling and not treating applicants as human?
Do you even understand the amount of work that goes into the interview season? How much of that is volunteered time...no one gets paid extra to spend the time reviewing applications, taking the time to come to lunches and dinners, spending time interviewing applicants and going to meetings to rank applicants...the hubris of that post...WE will do so much better than those that are doing this job...you have no idea what the job entails and yet you, with no medical experience, can do not better...dunning -Kruger at its best!

Good luck...but don’t let that attitude that you are better than those doing their job show through...

No wonder most attendings have given up on this thread...smh...

How do you really feel about it though?

My mistake I meant didn't even apply to FM. I applied only to IM. There is a huge difference between FM and IM. That's why they are separate residency programs. FM physicians are trained to know a little bit of everything, pediatrics, ob, geriatrics,....which are also it's fellowship option. IM is all adult medicine. Three years of FM is spent in all kinds of training unlike IM all in adult in patient/outpatient or specialties. Besides there are only few fellowship programs FM grad can. Of course there is huge difference in training track and rigor.
Are trained and actually do real world are two different things...FM ,East coat at least, doesn’t really do that much on the way of OB even if trained to do so...rurally and west coast there may be more utilization but generally pregnant women will go to an OB.

Again, east coast most parents will take their kids to an pediatrician, so some kids but ,FM generally sees healthy adults.

At opposed programs, most of the sick go to IM inpt...most FM residencies that do have inpt services only admit their patients and only if they are current pts(seen in the last 1-3years)...and because family does spend time on varyiNg services, they don’t spend as much time on inpt services as IM residents do...at some programs, IM interns are inpt for 11 months...no FM intern does 11months of inpt.

And that’s my point exactly...FM doesn’t have many fellowships available...most of which are available to IM...hospitalist and OB fellowships are the only one I can think of that aren’t doable through IM...the rest, geriatrics, sport medicine, pain are ...so if fellowship option is of importance then IM is the way to go but if you are looking to do outpatient PCP or even hospitalist, that can be achieved Through either IM and FM.

My FM colleagues aren’t really that different from me (IM trained) once you get past training.

Members don't see this ad :)
just stop fighting guys..... what's the point. Just ignore each other, this will be never ending. Anyone can post what they want , agree/disagree with whatever they want. In the end honestly doesn't really matter , just survive till match day and react to what we need to do

just stop fighting guys..... what's the point. Just ignore each other, this will be never ending. Anyone can post what they want , agree/disagree with whatever they want. In the end honestly doesn't really matter , just survive till match day and react to what we need to do

we need to acknowledge though that there is one person starting fights year after year out of neutral well intended comments not directed at them

Did anyone end up making a “how to rank” forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just received my CS result this week and have resent it to programs. What are the chances that I could still get more interviews now that I have a complete application.
I had a similar experience with CK in November, didn’t get any new invites I’m afraid, but I only applied to 40ish programs. You might be in a different situation, particularly since CS is often used to rule in/out IMGs

IMG friendly, they prefer you to know someone in the program, average scores of matched applicants are double 250+, below average fellowships placement, no association with Yale proper other than the name, no outside electives in Yale, they pay you handsomely since living in Connecticut is expensive.
It's a purely community hospital program. I doubt Yale students rotate through Waterbury.
Are you sure about the "no electives in Yale"? the program director's message on the website says "In addition, residents have the opportunity to participate in a rich variety of elective experiences, both locally in the Waterbury community and at Yale-New Haven Hospital" and "Our residents benefit from access to the resources in education and research at Yale University". Also, where can I find the average scores of matched applicants information? I didn't find it on residency explorer. Would appreciate the clarification. Thanks.

Are you sure about the "no electives in Yale"? the program director's message on the website says "In addition, residents have the opportunity to participate in a rich variety of elective experiences, both locally in the Waterbury community and at Yale-New Haven Hospital" and "Our residents benefit from access to the resources in education and research at Yale University". Also, where can I find the average scores of matched applicants information? I didn't find it on residency explorer. Would appreciate the clarification. Thanks.

I would take "access" with a grain of salt. The Yale outpatient curriculum could be considered a resource and as for the research, even UConn talks about accessibility to Yale-NH. That said, Waterbury does not have such a bad "match" (they include the hospitalists as matched) list on their website, my question would be where are the other 8 people of 2019, 6 of 2018 and so on. I am very worried about half truths by programs.

In my case a program told us that "only one was left out" after stating the match list for 2020. We got together with a resident from there that told us that the one referred to "one" (out of the people applying for the second time). The real number for the first time applicant was 3/8 made it.. meaning 63% were left out. She made clear that by no means was a bad program (she is from there and is going to do great things), but to not be enamored by one single thing because that might make you decide something that you might regret.

Finally, If it helps for anyone: there is a strategy that I am using for the match list of programs, google the person matching into that great place that you want to get in to (see how much did their IM program really helped them, or if they were the **** to begin with and just needed a US education to get in where they wanted).

I would take "access" with a grain of salt. The Yale outpatient curriculum could be considered a resource and as for the research, even UConn talks about accessibility to Yale-NH. That said, Waterbury does not have such a bad "match" (they include the hospitalists as matched) list on their website, my question would be where are the other 8 people of 2019, 6 of 2018 and so on. I am very worried about half truths by programs.

In my case a program told us that "only one was left out" after stating the match list for 2020. We got together with a resident from there that told us that the one referred to "one" (out of the people applying for the second time). The real number for the first time applicant was 3/8 made it.. meaning 63% were left out. She made clear that by no means was a bad program (she is from there and is going to do great things), but to not be enamored by one single thing because that might make you decide something that you might regret.

Finally, If it helps for anyone: there is a strategy that I am using for the match list of programs, google the person matching into that great place that you want to get in to (see how much did their IM program really helped them, or if they were the **** to begin with and just needed a US education to get in where they wanted).
Thank you for your comprehensive answer. I completely agree with you and I did also have the same question regarding the other 8 people etc... It is indeed worrisome and raises question marks. I also agree with what you said about looking deeply at the fellowship placements, knowing the details will reveal more transparency.

Thanks again, I appreciate the input.

How are my fav thiccs doin! Missed this place. Hope you all are tearing it apart in the Interview game, I mean in a good way. Im sure I met a lot of you in the trail...but no one would know lol. Anyway no invite since about 3 weeks now got a few rejections here and there in between changing flights lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Please link it here.
There you go:

Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, someone asked a question on a group that I am curious about as well.

What happens if a program is not ACGME certified? What if you train there? Can you pursue a fellowship and can you work in your state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all. ...:biglove:

Reactions: 8 users
Had Anyone had an interview at Dallas Methodist hospital? It would be great if you could share your experience.

I think I have found a 4 piece suit that would be appropriate for my attempt at applying this year:

plus-size-mens-clown-costume.jpg

... it is not even too expensive!

Joke aside, happy holidays everyone! Hope 2020 brings all of you a few good interviews and plenty of joy come match day in March!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Curious about what a 4 piece suit looks like as well:
Trousers
Vest
Jacket
Codpiece?
1. Trousers
2. Jacket
3. Shirt
4. tie
Ladies
1. Trousers/skirt
2. Jacket
3. Shirt/blouse
A tie here is optional but it will make you look like secret service agent.
My style as non conformist!!!!

1577451668297.png