IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Trousers
2. Jacket
3. Shirt
4. tie
Ladies
1. Trousers/skirt
2. Jacket
3. Shirt/blouse
A tie here is optional but it will make you look like secret service agent.
My style as non conformist!!!!

View attachment 290754
Shirt and tie are assumed with a 2 piece (trousers/jacket) suit for men. Same with a blouse for a jacket and trousers/skirt for women.

The true non-conformist would forego the shirt +/- the tie. That style just says "colorblind and too stubborn to ask for help".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Shirt and tie are assumed with a 2 piece (trousers/jacket) suit for men. Same with a blouse for a jacket and trousers/skirt for women.

The true non-conformist would forego the shirt +/- the tie. That style just says "colorblind and too stubborn to ask for help".
My fashion designer/stylist is Tan France! So I am rocking this beautiful colorful suit! I sing I feel pretty loud until the interviewer reaches out for handshake! Nothing says more non-conformist than my style and personality!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think the chances are of one of these programs that’s dying to meet me but somehow misplaced my application answering the phone and giving me an interview? (Tomorrow)

What do you guys think the chances are of one of these programs that’s dying to meet me but somehow misplaced my application answering the phone and giving me an interview? (Tomorrow)

Umm I think LOI or however you are contacting programs is to tell them how interested you are and get them to look your app up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I found this video about the SOAP process. I know we all hope to match but it never hurts to be prepared!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey anyone have any Interview experience with Mercy Catholic (Trinity Health Mid-Atlantic) Near Philadelphia?? or GBMC (Greater baltimore medical center)??
I heard they both ask a lot of medical questions. Please let me know. Thanks !! :)

Views on NY-Pres, Queens? How long is the interview? how many interviews?

I had mine in November. I think we started late-ish (around 10 something?) and it lasted until 2.30 or so. I had two interviews, one with faculty and one with the future PD.

Has anyone interviewed at Flushing Hospital, NY? Have my interview in a few days and would love some input!

Hi guys, I found this video about the SOAP process. I know we all hope to match but it never hurts to be prepared!

Lets stay positive and hope we will match before we get to SOAP. I personally believe it's not even worth trying SOAP as an IMG. Soap is only good for AMGs or IMGs with an uncle/auntie or best friends of uncle/auntie in unfilled programs. For the rest of us it is a false hope.
IMGs with perfect creds might have a better hope than the rest of us who applied on time. If programs don't have time to review our applications, interview us, and rank us to match over 6 months, it's sure as hell not gonna happen over 2 days of SOAP.
So let's live in the moment, take this situation day by day, expect the worst and hope for the best! We are gonna make it!!!
Cheers :banana:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Lets stay positive and hope we will match before we get to SOAP. I personally believe it's not even worth trying SOAP as an IMG. Soap is only good for AMGs or IMGs with an uncle/auntie or best friends of uncle/auntie in unfilled programs. For the rest of us it is a false hope.
IMGs with perfect creds might have a better hope than the rest of us who applied on time. If programs don't have time to review our applications, interview us, and rank us to match over 6 months, it's sure as hell not gonna happen over 2 days of SOAP.
So let's live in the moment, take this situation day by day, expect the worst and hope for the best! We are gonna make it!!!
Hope for the best , but prepare for the worst...better you know about the SOAP process and not have to do it than have no clue and get thrown into the mix...preparing is not negative thinking.

Reactions: 2 users
Is the SOAP really worth it for IMGs? I understand that its another chance and based on that its worth giving it a shot... I guess the real question is does anyone have numbers related to IMGs and SOAP match?

Hi all,

I am a FMG from Europe in my 5th year in a 6 year program (which is the norm here) finishing medical school in the summer of 2021

I am planning on applying for residency in the US. Already have UCSE, etc.

I have a simple question:
- Should I apply for a residency program in September 2020 which will be the beginning of my 6th year? Or should I apply September 2021? I am a little confused about the times.

Thanks a lot

Is the SOAP really worth it for IMGs? I understand that its another chance and based on that its worth giving it a shot... I guess the real question is does anyone have numbers related to IMGs and SOAP match?
Last year 0 offers were given to IMGs who were in the forum. Some people had exceptional scores and didn’t get a single contact. Not worth it. Too much anxiety 0 success.

• Sad
Hi all,

I am a FMG from Europe in my 5th year in a 6 year program (which is the norm here) finishing medical school in the summer of 2021

- Should I apply for a residency program in September 2020 which will be the beginning of my 6th year? Or should I apply September 2021? I am a little confused about the times.

Thanks a lot

If your 6th year begins in September '20, I assume you will graduate around Sept/Oct '21. As internship year in 2021 starts in July, it is virtually impossible for you to start in that cycle.

Guys how do you answer “why internal medicine?” I know why I want internal medicine, I just want to make it more interesting. Should I include an anecdote? Or how I find the specialties interesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Thanks a lot
I am in my 6th year in Poland and applied in September this year. As long as you graduate before July, you’re ok

If your 6th year begins in September '20, I assume you will graduate around Sept/Oct '21. As internship year in 2021 starts in July, it is virtually impossible for you to start in that cycle.
I graduate June 2021. When should I apply? Sept 2020 or Sept 2021?

I am in my 6th year in Poland and applied in September this year. As long as you graduate before July, you’re ok
Wow you're in the same situation as me. How can you apply already when you don't have your ECFMG certification yet?

I didn’t know IMGs did so bad on SOAP :/
I hope we all match in our number 1, you all rock! :highfive:

Wow you're in the same situation as me. How can you apply already when you don't have your ECFMG certification yet?
You don’t need it to apply. As long as you have it by the time you start residency

Because you don’t need Ecfmg certificate, which requires a diploma, to apply and go through the interview season...you just have to have it before you start residency.

You don't need to be certified in order to apply through ERAS.

Anecdotally, I graduated in early November of this year and handed in my paperwork for the final certification a week post-graduation (mid-November) via my school's registrar. I'm still waiting and expect the certification to come through by mid-January. This might be an outlier, as the ECFMG requires my federal ministry to confirm my diploma, which caused some delays. But from what I heard on the interview trail, this is not uncommon.

If you require a visa, you have to factor in the additional waiting time for its approval.
In this case, you also have to consider that some programs might not rank you if you are not certified by the time the rank order lists are due (February).

So, the answer depends on your visa status and how fast your medical school, and possibly government, react to your requests.

You don't need to be certified in order to apply through ERAS.

Anecdotally, I graduated in early November of this year and handed in my paperwork for the final certification a week post-graduation (mid-November) via my school's registrar. I'm still waiting and expect the certification to come through by mid-January. This might be an outlier, as the ECFMG requires my federal ministry to confirm my diploma, which caused some delays. But from what I heard on the interview trail, this is not uncommon.

If you require a visa, you have to factor in the additional waiting time for its approval.
In this case, you also have to consider that some programs might not rank you if you are not certified by the time the rank order lists are due (February).

So, the answer depends on your visa status and how fast your medical school, and possibly government, react to your requests.
You have to have your steps , I,ck and cs passed by ROL list time, but still don’t need certification.

You need your ECFMG certificate in order to MATCH(in March). You need your medical school diploma in order to get your ECFMG certificate. I hope this clear all doubts on this topic.
No that is WRONG information, so not clearing anything up at all.

You need to have step I, cs,and ck passed to participate in the match, but not the diploma.

Common sense tells you that needing the diploma isn’t necessary, otherwise no 4 th year medical student that is an IMG could participate in the match ... and thousands of 4th years from the Caribbean go into the match every year.

You need to have step I, cs,and ck passed to participate in the match, but not the diploma.

Common sense tells you that needing the diploma isn’t necessary, otherwise no 4 th year medical student that is an IMG could participate in the match ... and thousands of 4th years from the Caribbean go into the match every year.

You're right, but for non-US FMGs, certain programs expect ECFMG certification prior to the ROL deadline.
I think the poster should know that this might limit his options further.

1577806792701.png

Hope for the best , but prepare for the worst...better you know about the SOAP process and not have to do it than have no clue and get thrown into the mix...preparing is not negative thinking.
Preparing is not a negative thinking, but false hope is a positive thinking that will end in anxiety on SOAP day and shock after. We should all be prepared for anything. Yes we should know about SOAP because some one might win the one in a million lottery of SOAP. We should also be open to any outcome. If one thinks he/she has very low chance of matching this season, energy is better be used in finding research, USCE, and clinical jobs to improve CV for a better chance to match next year.

He said you need ECFMG certification to "match" not to apply

Happy New Years you guys, I hope everyone matches to wherever they wish but stay humble and support those around and after you; life isn’t just about GI and Cards

Reactions: 9 users
Reactions: 3 users
He said you need ECFMG certification to "match" not to apply
And ...AGAIN...you DO NOT need to have a medical diploma in hand and therefore have your Ecfmg certification to match...you need it to start your residency...not exactly how else to say this...
Match day is in March...most medical schools graduate in May or June...soooooo ALL the 4th years that are participating in the match are NOT ECFMG certified,period. They have passed step I, CK, and CS since all foreign students must be Ecfmg VERIFIED...by the time the ROL list is due ..if you do not have these passed, you will be automatically withdrawn from the match.

agreed, don't hang any of your hopes on the SOAP, the odds of SOAPing as an IMG are ridiculously low.

I haven't heard from Metrowest yet!
May be shortlisted!!

I'm an IMG hoping to apply to a few programs in 2 years. Just curious, did anyone apply to any programs in Nebraska? I'm really interested in applying to university of Nebraska medical center for internal medicine.