Immunology WW: Keep The Cat Alive Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SummerTheLynx

The Bioinformatics DVM student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This will be a very blunt intro to discuss game mechanics. There is very little that will not be said in here. The point of the game is to figure out the cause of the ailments that the cat Lyla (my cat) is facing. Things will work a bit differently this game.

First, let's start with lynches. Lynches will only be successful if you have the immune cells alive necessary to take out the pathogen of choice (makes sense). Now, I see a bunch of you with worried looks, thinking that if we don't have a certain cell type left, the game is over. Well, you aren't wrong, but luckily, your body has a LOT of hematopoietic stem cells. These are capable of becoming virtually any immune cell, and thus will be able to become these cells, which for the purposes of this game, will take 1 full cycle to develop. There may be multiples of each cell type available in the game, or there may just be 1 of each. There is a directed mechanism to how these hematopoietic stem cells, or "currently vanilla villagers" will be able to differentiate into a specific cell type. This is one of the few mechanisms that will not be delineated in the intro.

Going off of the vanilla villagers bit, there are A LOT of you. I have intentionally messed with how each individual message was written as well as how the titles were written to each person. If you try villager code, you will fail. So don't. Also, there is a large benefit in keeping your roles close. There are only so many immune cells in the body, you don't want to alert the wolves as to who may be what immune cells by process of elimination.

A big principle of this game is THINGS MAKE SENSE. From an immunological, a physiological, etc. standpoint. For instance, almost all cells, unless you are fixed to where you are (you know who you are), will be able to move throughout the body at will. Movement can be done at will throughout the body and in addition to night actions. The exception to this rule is that while a person is in the blood stream (the night after they appear in the group "the blood stream"), they will not be able to do any night actions, except move groups, or kill. Another thing that makes sense is that you will only be able to interact with people from the group you are in or the group you are going to. Thus, if I am in the GIT, I will not be able to interact with anyone from the respiratory tract, as it would take me two days to get there. I can however interact with anyone from the GIT, or anyone from the blood stream.

Another mechanic is that you can interact with anyone in your group, except when you are in the blood stream. While you are in the blood stream, you will not be able to pm with anyone until you enter another group (unless your role specifically states otherwise).

Another thing you will notice is that the groups have moved around. This is to accommodate RNG that had certain people get certain roles that physically cannot be in a particular area (once again, IT MAKES SENSE). I specifically moved people that didn't really need to be moved in many situations to cause more randomness and prevent people from finding patterns in who moved. Here is where one thing DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. If you are a hematopoietic stem cell, you can move to ANY COMPARTMENT IN THE BODY. The reason for this is not due to there actual ability to do so, but an artifact of game mechanics, to prevent people from isolating who the vanillas may be by group analysis.

In terms of wolves, you will be looking at some not so bad pathogens, and some nasty ones, so understand that there may be different degrees to how hard some are to kill as opposed to others.

A lot of this game is going to involve working together, and not spitting out role names. There are fairly limited seering capabilities in the game, with VERY few manners that a person can pick an individual and say they are a wolf. You are going to have to use your intuition, your spreadsheets, and your luck to hunt down the wolves. With that said, the game has been formatted as if the cat's immune system is competent at the start of the game, and thus, the weight of the game is in favor of the villagers.

There is 1 chaos, and no neutral in this game. For anyone that knows me, you can probably deduce what chaos would look like.

With some specifics to and for the wolves. First, some of the pathogens are currently in remission in the cat, or may not be infecting cells right now. These would appear as benign until they become pathogenic. Keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that wolves will have powers that reflect what the pathogen can do to the body, so don't be surprised when they come up with some fairly interesting set of skills. Keep in mind clinical signs, lab work, etc. (more on this in a second). The wolves win condition is to debilitate the immune system such that they can no longer respond to at least ONE of their ALIVE pathogens. If they are able to do that, the pathogen will take over and win the game for the wolves. Thus, wolves, you will find several very hard to kill villagers, or completely invulnerable villagers. If they don't die, and I didn't specify that they were protected, move on.

In terms of how the format will work. The morning write ups will be usually lecture formats. The night closes will be short and to the point. There is the capability to obtain lab work and the current state of the cat. I am sure there are roles dedicated specifically to it. It may be best to discuss what may be the best way of approaching lab work based off clinical signs on each individual night. I am sure it is even possible that a treatment for a particular pathogen may be able to be administered.

This is meant to be very upfront. If you do not get something, ask, and I will answer you 95% of the time honestly (or not at all, I am not BS'ing anyone this game). Check your groups and feel free to start PMing (remember blood stream, you are out of luck for now). The night will officially start as of 12/29 at 12 am, and will end at 8 am on 12/30.

Not in any Group
1. @hazelmoo
2. @PrincessButterCup

Bone Marrow

1. @finnickthedog
2. @kcoughli
3. @WildZoo
4. @thedrjojo
5. @DVMDream
6. @LyraGardenia
7. @Gwenevre
8. @Caia

Lymph Node/Thymus
1. @Kam325
2. @Trilt
3. @Animal Midwife
4. @lsthill
5. @lhmhtd
6. @Teepster87
7. @Lupin21

Blood Stream
1. @Mad Jack
2. @nyanko
3. @Jilary
4. @dyachei
5. @genny
6. @guisantes
7. @allyphoe

GIT
1. @StartingoverVet
2. @rockatiel
3. @alohacat319
4. @LetItSnow
5. @cheathac
6. @Filly Bay
7. RM

Respiratory Tract
1. @Zensing
2. @raf2769
3. @JaynaAli
4. @Devastating
5. @LadyOtheFarm
6. @mmmdreamerz

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I am not BS'ing anyone this game

giphy.gif

Reactions: 18 users
I feel like I'm gonna be in over my head with this game... lol.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am excited for this, but still need 1 noobie. Mentors, if you could recommend noobies that you feel may do well in this game!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will tag everyone at the start of the game, and I do have a separate write up for the start. As mentioned earlier, avatar changes are definitely appreciated, but not mandatory. Mine got at the heart of WW while making an immuno reference :p. We start in just about 25 hours. (CST is the time zone for this game, we may have a slightly late close on day 1, just because I will still be on PST time that day)

Reactions: 10 users
This one isn't exactly immuno, but still cell related and the first thing I thought of :laugh:

Reactions: 12 users
Ready!

Reactions: 1 user
I just found this somewhat timely gem.

Reactions: 11 users
T-Reg and FOXP3 to the rescue!

Reactions: 1 users
(the future in-laws are about to start playing Yahtzee with me and BI, so I am posting now so I don't have to interrupt the game. We will call the game started as of now).

Welcome class to the syllabus day to intro to immunology. Throughout the class, we will be using a case study, the cat Lyla, to demonstrate several points regarding immunology. In some cases, I will attach figures to illustrate my points. These are from the Parham Immunology Book, are copyrighted, and I do have permission to use them (in a teaching setting, which I am making the write ups into). Please do not copy them or reproduce them in any way, shape, or form (this does not include the immunology cartoons and jokes I add).

Now that we are past the silly syllabus requirements, I feel that there are a few basics that everyone should know off the back. Attached is a quick cheat sheet of notes to refer back to, just in case you haven’t taken the intro portion to this course:

-Most immune cells develop in the bone marrow, activation occurs outside of the bone marrow
-T Cells do not develop in the bone marrow, they develop in the thymus
-APCs are Antigen Presenting Cells, and include cells like macrophages and dendritic cells.
-APCs will usually take up pathogens at the site of infection
-Activation of naïve cells does not occur at the site of infection, it occurs at the Lymph Nodes
- The mechanisms to kill one type of pathogen will often be different than killing another type of pathogen. PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS.
-Certain pathogens are restricted in where they can travel. Others are more mobile. Same with particular immune cells.
-The first level of protection to pathogens are physical barriers. Depending on the infection, they may need to get through this in order to do damage to the rest of the cells in the area.
-We will delve much deeper than this each day, but do keep these basics in mind. Remember, this game makes sense, meaning that the game, at its basics, will make these principles makes sense as much as possible (with restrictions on this previously mentioned).

upload_2016-12-28_23-32-5.png

With that, I will leave you for today. Tomorrow’s topic will be whatever I decide is most appropriate, and will generally progress along with the cat’s condition. Just looking at the topic will not indicate what type of pathogen of interest may have been indicated by the night write up, it will take a fair bit more effort than that. I will try and provide you with as many resources as possible to use throughout the game to help in your assessment, but I don’t want things directly handed to you. Even though you are all part of the wonderful process of the immune system, I encourage each of you to think like a diagnostician. As a final note, there is a lot of strategy that goes into simple things like what group to move to, so I highly encourage you to use the night time for these types of discussions. Keep in mind the mechanics written in the first post of this thread!

Rules:
1. There are a bunch of spectators in a spectator chat for this game. You must post in *s on this thread, and you must not divulge anything from that thread onto here.
2. Editing is allowed for typos. Don't edit lynch votes. If you post info meant for a pm on the main thread, you may delete the post.
3. That's it. The rest of the rules are usually self explanatory. If you are not being active, I may send a pm and see if you want to be subbed out. I most likely will not outright kill people though. Just try and participate as much as possible and send in contingencies when possible.

It is night 1. Night close will be 9 am CST. on 12/30/16 (long first night cycle to allow everyone to check in)

Not in any Group
1. @hazelmoo
2. @PrincessButterCup

Bone Marrow

1. @finnickthedog
2. @kcoughli
3. @WildZoo
4. @thedrjojo
5. @DVMDream
6. @LyraGardenia
7. @Gwenevre
8. @Caia

Lymph Node/Thymus
1. @Kam325
2. @Trilt
3. @Animal Midwife
4. @lsthill
5. @lhmhtd
6. @Teepster87
7. @Lupin21

Blood Stream
1. @Mad Jack
2. @nyanko
3. @Jilary
4. @dyachei
5. @genny
6. @guisantes
7. @allyphoe

GIT
1. @StartingoverVet
2. @rockatiel
3. @alohacat319
4. @Karabiner13
5. @cheathac
6. @Filly Bay
7. @ResoluteMike

Respiratory Tract
1. @Zensing
2. @raf2769
3. @JaynaAli
4. @Devastating
5. @LadyOtheFarm
6. @mmmdreamerz

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So, we don't know much about Lyla yet. What would be the most helpful test to run on our patient? I was thinking chemistries, but I wonder if CBC might be more important to start with. Thoughts?

So, we don't know much about Lyla yet. What would be the most helpful test to run on our patient? I was thinking chemistries, but I wonder if CBC might be more important to start with. Thoughts?
We know nothing about presentation and signalment other than species. I want to know more before I chuck a bunch of diagnostics at the patient.

I guess we could assume sex based on the name, but I've been fooled by that before... Nevermind the whole tons of coursework on genetic and hormonal abnormalities that screw with genetic, anatomic, phenotypic, and behavioral sex/gender...

We know nothing about presentation and signalment other than species. I want to know more before I chuck a bunch of diagnostics at the patient.
It still might be good to develop a baseline of 'normal' values to reference, assuming she hasn't developed any clinical signs yet.

Reactions: 2 users
With that thought, I lean CBC but this last 5 minutes is all the thought I have put in thus far.

I still gotta go change my avvie

we need a minimum database...
I need to go back and read the first post about rules, but can we just ask for one test or what all can we make our "minimum database" out of?

(You can leave that rhetorical and I promise to go look while I kill time at work tomorrow.)

I need to go back and read the first post about rules, but can we just ask for one test or what all can we make our "minimum database" out of?

(You can leave that rhetorical and I promise to go look while I kill time at work tomorrow.)

This is what you're thinking of:

There is the capability to obtain lab work and the current state of the cat. I am sure there are roles dedicated specifically to it. It may be best to discuss what may be the best way of approaching lab work based off clinical signs on each individual night. I am sure it is even possible that a treatment for a particular pathogen may be able to be administered.

With that said, the game has been formatted as if the cat's immune system is competent at the start of the game, and thus, the weight of the game is in favor of the villagers.

Based on the above quote from the intro, I agree that we definitely need to get baseline bloodwork, this way we can track the changes in the immune system as time goes on. I'm thinking to track wolves/pathogens, we need to keep good track of where and how the damage is occurring, which is only possible if we have our baseline to start with.
The intro also makes me think there is a very limited number of wolves in the beginning of the game, with auto-conversion roles (maybe) as the "pathogens in remission that appear benign right now."

I don't know what our resources are like or how labwork is really going to work, but I'd like a cbc/chem/ua and felv/fiv test. And more importantly today's PE findings and some vaccine and life history.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with trilt. PE, history. Even if we get only a limited number of lab tests it's probably worth it to do baseline bw. It makes things lots easier if you have a baseline. If we get to go all out in addition to CBC, Chem, ua, and virus testing I'd like a fecal too but I'd much prefer the others first.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would a UA be included in baseline testing?

I don't know what our resources are like or how labwork is really going to work, but I'd like a cbc/chem/ua and felv/fiv test. And more importantly today's PE findings and some vaccine and life history.
From the opening write up, seems like there is a role or roles specific to ordering testing.

Definitely agree with getting a baseline. Hard to tell what's abnormal if we don't know what we're starting with.

If we're only allowed 1 test, I would pick history (+physical exam if possible). That should help us narrow down what we're searching for, as long as the disease is common enough to be suspected from PE.

Baseline CBC is a great idea. Normally I would say baseline chem is good too. However, I'm worried that most to nearly all chem abnormalities will be from the wolf kills, so will be based on where the kill occurred (maybe up bilirubin from hemolysis if bloodstream, acidotic from decreased CO2 exchange if respiratory, etc.). Maybe try one chem to get a baseline and see what, if anything we can learn? What are people's thoughts on this theory?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm glad we have smart people playing. I was thinking just euthanize and submit for necropsy

Reactions: 16 users