Interview question about "When others say No and only you say Yes" and other ethic Qs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forever27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so confused with such behavior question like "please give me an example that other people say YES and you are the only one say NO and how you resolve it? "

I can not recall that I have any chance to stand on the opposite side of all my colleages (including my boss) during my work :). Maybe only sometimes different people have different opinions and after discussion, we reached a compromised solution. Can I say I never meet such situation, I am a mild person? In my personal life, maybe such situations happened, like whom I married, which major I choose... But is it proper to talk private thing during the interview? And the oppositions are all from my parents or other family members.

Also, some ethic questions like "catch friends cheating" "catch colleage pharmacist drunk". Should I say "report" without hesitation? Will the interviewer think I am lying because most people will not do this in reality?

Could somebody please give me a hint how to answer such questions?

I appreciate :confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hey dude, just say report immediately

PharmDster said:
hey dude, just say report immediately

Will they believe what I say "Report"? IF they don't believe, will they think I am not honest? which is an important factor of being a pharmacist

Members don't see this ad :)
forever27 said:
I am so confused with such behavior question like "please give me an example that other people say YES and you are the only one say NO and how you resolve it? "
How about a time when working on a project or something and you didn't agree with your classmates?

forever27 said:
Also, some ethic questions like "catch friends cheating" "catch colleage pharmacist drunk". Should I say "report" without hesitation? Will the interviewer think I am lying because most people will not do this in reality?
Well, I would say that you would talk to the person first. But if it had to do with a drunk pharmacist I would definitely say that you would report them because you are thinking about the safety of the patients

Report a drunk pharmacist to the pharmacy manager, for sure. The manager gets to decide beyond that. Also, call them a cab, don't let them drive home. I guess you'd have to find out what work they did drunk, too and make sure to minimize the possibility that a patient will be harmed.

forever27 said:

I can not recall that I have any chance to stand on the opposite side of all my colleages (including my boss) during my work :). Maybe only sometimes different people have different opinions and after discussion, we reached a compromised solution. Can I say I never meet such situation, I am a mild person? In my personal life, maybe such situations happened, like whom I married, which major I choose... But is it proper to talk private thing during the interview? And the oppositions are all from my parents or other family members.

Could somebody please give me a hint how to answer such questions?

I appreciate :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi Forever 27, I remember coming across that question when I was practicing for my interviews. If you agree with me, you can use the following example (heck, you don't even need to agree with me; the interviewers just want to see whether or not you can think on your feet, so use this story if you want. Thus, don't say I've never encountered such a situation b/c that just shows you can't think well on your feet, altho that may not be true. Just be creative--they like that too =) ). I described a time when I was in a discussion forum with some homeless clients and the topic that evening was Prop 69 (if you are unaware of this proposition back in the November elections, please see this link).

At any rate, many people (not just the people in the discussion) were against this because they felt like it would violate their personal privacy and even lead to racial profiling. And this is especially bad for the homeless clients b/c they already suffer enough crap and Prop 69 would be another tool people can use to take advantage of them (i.e. throw them in jail). Thus, the people in my disucssion all said yes, we don't want prop 69, it's really bad. Of course, being the Forensic Files lover that I am, not to mention science nerd, I said no, I disagree. This proposition would be beneficial because then it could accurately determine who's innocent and free up those who have been wrongly incriminated.

So yeah, if you choose to use this story, u could change it to a discussion forum including you and your friends, for instance. Hope this helps! Best of luck! :thumbup:

endlesslove said:
Hi Forever 27, I remember coming across that question when I was practicing for my interviews. If you agree with me, you can use the following example (heck, you don't even need to agree with me; the interviewers just want to see whether or not you can think on your feet, so use this story if you want. Thus, don't say I've never encountered such a situation b/c that just shows you can't think well on your feet, altho that may not be true. Just be creative--they like that too =) ). I described a time when I was in a discussion forum with some homeless clients and the topic that evening was Prop 69 (if you are unaware of this proposition back in the November elections, please see this link).

At any rate, many people (not just the people in the discussion) were against this because they felt like it would violate their personal privacy and even lead to racial profiling. And this is especially bad for the homeless clients b/c they already suffer enough crap and Prop 69 would be another tool people can use to take advantage of them (i.e. throw them in jail). Thus, the people in my disucssion all said yes, we don't want prop 69, it's really bad. Of course, being the Forensic Files lover that I am, not to mention science nerd, I said no, I disagree. This proposition would be beneficial because then it could accurately determine who's innocent and free up those who have been wrongly incriminated.

So yeah, if you choose to use this story, u could change it to a discussion forum including you and your friends, for instance. Hope this helps! Best of luck! :thumbup:

love u endlesslove :love: :love: :love:

It really helps. I can recall some of discussions during my political science course about some current issues. Many of them are debated vigorously. It is hard to persuade all of my audiences to agree with me though :( :( :( I will try to remember a case that I am the winner.

forever27 said:
Also, some ethic questions like "catch friends cheating" "catch colleage pharmacist drunk". Should I say "report" without hesitation? Will the interviewer think I am lying because most people will not do this in reality?QUOTE]

oops, didn't see the latter part of your post. i always said i double checked first and then once my beliefs are confirmed, I took action. remember--never accuse someone of something until the facts are confirmed. e.g. you suspect the prescription the MD wrote is wrong (i.e. no such dosage) but the MD doesn't want to talk to you when you try to call him and tells you to "go ahead and fill it." what od you do? so i said "once I double checked my pharmacy books to reconfirm my beliefs that there is no such dosage for (insert drug name), I will speak to the patient privately to explain the situation. I would explain to the patient that I am not going to fill the prescription b/c as a drug expert, I know such a dosage is lethal to the patient and it is my duty as a health professional to keep you safe [this shows you know the importance of being a pharmacist! :thumbup: ] and since the MD doesn't want to talk to me, I highly advise the patient to seek a second opinion from a different doctor."

so like for your cheating thing, u could start off the same way (making sure your facts are straight). For these kinds of situation about whether or not to report things, I generally followed an algorithm (if only life were this simple :laugh: ) if you don't like the double checking thing, just start off by saying I would (like above) pull the friend aside and speak to him/her privately. I would talk to him/her casually to get a feel for how the person is feeling and see if he/she has anything s/he wants to tell me (maybe'll they're really stressed and will break down, making it easier on my job). If I find out that s/he is having a lot of trouble, like with family for instance, I would try to help him her to the best of my ability. If I find out s/he is just being a lazy jack @$$, I would explain to her the situation and then give him/her an ultimatum--if you cheat one more time, you will leave me with no choice but to report you to the Dean.

Initially I didn't like ethical questions either but once I found a pattern of how to structure my answers, they became a cinch. Try to find a pattern (or use the ones I discussed above, if you want) :)

Hope this helps!

Best of luck!