iowa city hotel???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon0013

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im driving to iowa city from st louis this thursday...i noticed that mapquest says the drive is about 5 hours...is anyone familiar with the roads? also for those who interviewed at Iowa, where did yall stay and how much are the hotels/motels in such a small city?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

jon0013 said:
im driving to iowa city from st louis this thursday...i noticed that mapquest says the drive is about 5 hours...is anyone familiar with the roads? also for those who interviewed at Iowa, where did yall stay and how much are the hotels/motels in such a small city?

thanks

If you want to save and have a clean, simple room then try Motel 6. It is about 1.7 miles from the college of medicine. Book online and you could be paying about $34 per night. Other hotels are much more I don't remember how much.

jon0013 said:

thanks

I stayed at the Iowa Hotel (on campus at the student union) and it was great. You could walk to med school and you get free parking while you are staying at the hotel. I think it was about $45/night. I would recommend it for the convenience.

Members don't see this ad :)
medhacker said:
If you want to save and have a clean, simple room then try Motel 6. It is about 1.7 miles from the college of medicine. Book online and you could be paying about $34 per night. Other hotels are much more I don't remember how much.

I stayed at the Motel 6 as well. Clean room, nothing out of the ordinary and relatively close to campus....oh yeah, and did i mention its cheap. Good luck!

jon0013 said:

thanks
stay with a student!

If I remember correctly. The trip to Iowa City from St. Louis is alongt the 2 lane highway that takes you up the river's edge of MO through Hannibal, MO and Keokuk, IA and to IC, IA through the South. You go through lots of towns, so you may want to try going between the two rush hours, so the lights aren't as long when you get to these towns.

I stayed with a relative for my interview, but I like the Iowa House (in the Union) and you can take the Cambus to the Med School for free.

During my college visit I stayed at the Hotel connected to the big mall thing. It was very nice but prolly more pricey than the other options.

BrettBatchelor said:
During my college visit I stayed at the Hotel connected to the big mall thing. It was very nice but prolly more pricey than the other options.

that would be the sheraton.

Will Hunting said:
that would be the sheraton.
hey how far is the walk from the place at the union to the medical center?

jon0013 said:
hey how far is the walk from the place at the union to the medical center?
Maybe 15 minutes. It is slightly uphill (yes, Iowa is hilly!) so if it is snowy you may want to cambus or taxi it over there.

You will have no problem finding a place to stay they day you get here. Iowa City is probably not what you are expecting. It is actually a sprawling "city" when you include Coralville. The Iowa House is a good place to stay because it is on campus.. Although, it might be a little more expensive. It is also just a short walk across the river to the Medical Administration Building (Maybe 10 minutes). Actually, now that i think about it, it probably would be cheaper to stay there in the long run because I assume they will validate your parking.. otherwise, if you stay in a hotel you will have to pay up the A$$ to park in the ramp for 5 hours.

PM me if you want any details.

laboholic said:
You will have no problem finding a place to stay they day you get here. Iowa City is probably not what you are expecting. It is actually a sprawling "city" when you include Coralville. The Iowa House is a good place to stay because it is on campus.. Although, it might be a little more expensive. It is also just a short walk across the river to the Medical Administration Building (Maybe 10 minutes). Actually, now that i think about it, it probably would be cheaper to stay there in the long run because I assume they will validate your parking.. otherwise, if you stay in a hotel you will have to pay up the A$$ to park in the ramp for 5 hours.

PM me if you want any details.
Labaholic, have you been blowing kisses to the adcom so I can get an acceptance. I would love to get back to IC,IA. I'm there every year for Christmas, but it's just such a cool little town. ;)

gdbaby said:
Labaholic, have you been blowing kisses to the adcom so I can get an acceptance. I would love to get back to IC,IA. I'm there every year for Christmas, but it's just such a cool little town. ;)

Ill go over there right now and tell them to let gdbaby in. Im sure they will get right on it! ;)

laboholic said:
Ill go over there right now and tell them to let gdbaby in. Im sure they will get right on it! ;)

If you can, definitely stay at the Iowa House Hotel. It's such a short walk to the med school. Congrats on the interview.