Iowa State c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Class of 2014! Animal Science! Class of 2016 for my Masters of Ag with focus in equine repro!
Nice to meet cha! :)

Nice to meet you Ag!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised this thread has gotten so quiet with decision day right around the corner! I can't wait to see all the happy posts on Friday - good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 9 users
I'm surprised this thread has gotten so quiet with decision day right around the corner! I can't wait to see all the happy posts on Friday - good luck everyone!!
Most of us are also applicants of UW-Madison and they sent out decisions by mail so we are busy fretting

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really need good news from isu its my last one ( 5 rejections)

Same here. Rejection from Wisconsin and really holding out for ISU.

What are your stats?
Required Science Course GPA:

Last 45 Credits GPA:

Cumulative GPA:
2.87 ( now higher 3.0or2.9)

3500 vet hours ( I underestimated probably)
3500 animal ( rescues large and small) gone up now to like 4k
500 research

Last 45 Credits GPA:

Cumulative GPA:

500 research

Are these your Iowa state calculated? Bc if so your stats are better than mine!

Last 45 Credits GPA:

Cumulative GPA:

500 research
Are these your Iowa state calculated? Bc if so your stats are better than mine!
They are besides the hours

They are besides the hours

Required Science GPA: 3.29
Last 45 Credits GPA: 3.38
CumulativeL 3.04

1500+ hours in large animal (equine ICU some food animal)
2000+ small animal emergency
1400+ small animal day practice

150+/- in research in my two years at A&M

Also worked a full time job all throughout undergrad and graduate school and not sure how much bearing that will have with my application.

Really really hoping to get in D:

Required Science GPA: 3.29
Last 45 Credits GPA: 3.38
CumulativeL 3.04

1500+ hours in large animal (equine ICU some food animal)
2000+ small animal emergency
1400+ small animal day practice

150+/- in research in my two years at A&M

Also worked a full time job all throughout undergrad and graduate school and not sure how much bearing that will have with my application.

Really really hoping to get in D:
I got good news the equine hospital here is hiring D: and I know the vet we met on a joint call.

Is there a particular time at which we should expect our status updates on Friday?

Is there a particular time at which we should expect our status updates on Friday?

On the recent webinar they said it won’t be a specific time since they will be entering the decisions manually throughout the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I stalked last year’s thread and some people commented that they received status updates early in the day. I wonder if they enter in manually by last name or accepted>waitlisted>rejected. Longest week ever.

My last name begins with R and I was rejected last year, and I had a status update at 6 AM, if that helps

I stalked last year’s thread and some people commented that they received status updates early in the day. I wonder if they enter in manually by last name or accepted>waitlisted>rejected. Longest week ever.

I was wondering the same or is it alphabetical

Last year my friends and I all found out at the same time. My last name is F, one of theirs was O, another was J, another was A, and another was M. I got waitlisted, A and O got accepted, and J and M got rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
My last name starts with a B and I found out last year I got waitlisted at 6 am

Okay... I need opinions guys! If an email comes in the morning and I have a cell biology exam at noon, do I wait to check it? Idk if I'll be able to have that kind of self control

Okay... I need opinions guys! If an email comes in the morning and I have a cell biology exam at noon, do I wait to check it? Idk if I'll be able to have that kind of self control
Is this the last school you are waiting to hear from?

I wouldn't be able to concentrate on an exam knowing an answer was waiting for me but then I’d be super bummed if I got a rejection. Tough call!

Reactions: 2 users
From someone who has been dumped right before an exam from a 3 year relationship..dont check your email in the morning. In fact just keep your phone notifications off until after. One of my teens I worked with at a horse rescue knew I had an exam one morning and waited until I was done and home to inform me that our good friend and barn manager had died. You don't need that on your mind.

Definitely do not check it! If it is not so great news, the devastation will distract you during your exam ( I had my mother call me while I was walking right into a Biochemistry exam to tell me my uncle had died... I did terribly) However, if you get wonderful news and if you're anything like me, you will be so excited and wanting to tell the world that you will also be really distracted from your exam.

Definitely do not check it! If it is not so great news, the devastation will distract you during your exam ( I had my mother call me while I was walking right into a Biochemistry exam to tell me my uncle had died... I did terribly) However, if you get wonderful news and if you're anything like me, you will be so excited and wanting to tell the world that you will also be really distracted from your exam.
Rule of thumb unless you have notes on your phone just stick it in your vehicle/or backpack turned off until after.

You can also delete your email app the night before so you don't get notifications! Outta sight outta mind (kinda)

I wouldn’t check it! I’d wait...

I think that depends on how you handle stress. I’ve got an interview later that day but I’m definitely going to check ASAP because otherwise it’ll be on my mind all day.
I don’t think I’d compare it to receiving bad news though because you know it’s coming. Plus it could be good news!!

I agree with what everyone has said, don't check it! I'll be at work (very frowned upon if you check your phone) and I just leave it in my glovebox so I can't even talk myself into checking it. Try and forget about it until after you kill that exam (which you will, you've got it!) and then take a big breath and open it!

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the advice friends! I'll just log out of my email on my phone! Hopefully there will be good news when I log back in! Best of luck to everyone!

We are in the same boat. I have undergrad classes and due to all this I literally can't even focus on studying. I just hope I get an acceptance. I do not care about the school just one acceptance letter for the peace of my mind. So tired of this process it's draining me.

I had a dream that decisions were released early

!!!
upload_2019-2-14_7-47-14.png

(Haha its not real)

Reactions: 7 users
Ive been binging ncis seasons from the beginning to keep from thinking about things. I put in an application at a local practice that just got a bunch of clients as one of our local equine vets sadly and suddenly passed on new years eve. The one I applied to knows my mentor and I've done a joint call with them. They want someone who has worked alone and I have. They also use functional electrical stimulation treatments and I've done them alone for years on horses. Im excited though because they offer reproductive services and run a podcast featuring the clinic cat :).

That’s awesome! I’m glad you have some good opportunities coming your way, I would love to work at a clinic like that!
I hope I do they are a great clinic with 3 vets. If you heard of the I-75 miracle horse highway who fell out of a slaughterbound trailer going 60 on I-75 they treated him first.

I hope I do they are a great clinic with 3 vets. If you heard of the I-75 miracle horse highway who fell out of a slaughterbound trailer going 60 on I-75 they treated him first.
Hey, just wanted to say good luck to you!! I worked at Peterson and smith equine hospital this past year and got to meet a lot of people from Spring Hill Equine as well- they are really good people!!

Hey, just wanted to say good luck to you!! I worked at Peterson and smith equine hospital this past year and got to meet a lot of people from Spring Hill Equine as well- they are really good people!!
Peterson and smith is awesome as well, did you help with the gelding clinic?!

Just for some positive thoughts because this has been a really hard week for me and I'm sure for all of you too! (currently sitting on three denials and a wait list- ISU is my last hope). It's hard to remember this being in our position but not getting into a vet school does no define who we are. We have all worked really hard and even if it doesn't feel like it right now that will pay off in the end... in vet school or wherever life may take us! Just remember you are way more then the rejections or the wait list ect. Hope this helps someone and we just have to make it through one more day then we will either have to move on knowing we did everything we could or be happy that we got in! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users