Ireland and UK Vet School c/o 2024 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone planning on living in on-campus accommodation for the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got my Acceptance to UCD from nyc ;) . Question does anyone know when is the dead line to take our spot? Still waiting on other schools but wanted to know when is the dead line they need to know..

Also got my Acceptance to UCD from nyc ;) . Question does anyone know when is the dead line to take our spot? Still waiting on other schools but wanted to know when is the dead line they need to know..

April 15th! It should be written in your offer letter.

April 15th but they're like 7 hours ahead so I wonder if we need to be careful about that! - EDIT: In my acceptance email they said May 1st... with a 500 deposit fee

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In my acceptance email it says May 1st

It might be dependent on when you received your acceptance. I recieved mine in the first batch so that might be why I have only til April 15th! I guess it's different for everyone.

I also have the 500 euro deposit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The email says May 1st with 500k deposit, but the actual document says April 15th, and I have a 2,000E deposit on that document. I'm going to abide by the earlier date and greater cost, but if someone is proactive and asks Trish or whoever what the real deal is, I'd be super appreciative if you post what they say. :)

Also, for those confirmed on going to UCD anyone make strides in reserving accommodation. I finally chose a place and am now learning about the irish gaurantor requirement... If anyone finds housing that doesn't require this I'd also be appreciative if you posted advice on that. In the meantime, I'll be scouring lol.

The email says May 1st with 500k deposit, but the actual document says April 15th, and I have a 2,000E deposit on that document. I'm going to abide by the earlier date and greater cost, but if someone is proactive and asks Trish or whoever what the real deal is, I'd be super appreciative if you post what they say. :)

Also, for those confirmed on going to UCD anyone make strides in reserving accommodation. I finally chose a place and am now learning about the irish gaurantor requirement... If anyone finds housing that doesn't require this I'd also be appreciative if you posted advice on that. In the meantime, I'll be scouring lol.

I may be doing something wrong because when I send in emails i'm not getting a response. I know it's probably because they're getting a ton right now. I requested a current student contact me and I did ask about the price/date we need to secure by so I'll let you know when I get a response!

I am trying to decide between glasgow and dublin and its proving much harder than I thought. Can anyone give me advice/ guidance on this?

I am trying to decide between glasgow and dublin and its proving much harder than I thought. Can anyone give me advice/ guidance on this?

The fact that Glasgow's programme is 5 years compared to the 4 at Dublin would be something you may wish to keep in mind

The fact that Glasgow's programme is 5 years compared to the 4 at Dublin would be something you may wish to keep in mind

There's also issues about Brexit that just happened and idk it might impact the exchange rate in Glasgow for the pound conversion down the line?? Not too sure what the outcome on us may be though in the coming years, but I wouldn't want to take that chance personally! I also agree on the 4 vs. 5 year program - overall it works out to be cheaper to attend Dublin even when you factor in how expensive rent is near UCD and you get to graduate and start working faster. As someone who has already spent 4 years in undergrad, I'd prefer to start my career sooner than later!
Comparing both programs academically however, they both seem to be equally great.

Members don't see this ad :)

I suddenly can't find where I first read about a €500 deposit. It's not written in my offer letter. My account now shows €2000 as the deposit I have to pay when I click on the accept or reject button. I guess they must have recently changed it because I swear I saw 500 somewhere a few months ago!

Hi there everyone,

I have just accepted my offer to the UCD 4 year graduate program, and I have started to contemplate housing (Okay, maybe Ive been planning housing for a veeery long time now). I know I want to live off campus as I want to bring my dog sooner or later, and I absolutely do better living with roommates. Which means I plan on making friends by moving in with some strangers at some point, so I figure I may as well try to find people with the same passions that I have. I would be interested to connect with anybody else in the same boat who wants to look for a house to rent and live together for first year.

Reactions: 2 users
I suddenly can't find where I first read about a €500 deposit. It's not written in my offer letter. My account now shows €2000 as the deposit I have to pay when I click on the accept or reject button. I guess they must have recently changed it because I swear I saw 500 somewhere a few months ago!

Trish just emailed me back and had no idea why it said May 1 and €500. She confirmed the 2000 amount and April 15th is the deadline

How did you choose a place so quickly?! Haha tell me your secrets!

Hi there everyone,

I have just accepted my offer to the UCD 4 year graduate program, and I have started to contemplate housing (Okay, maybe Ive been planning housing for a veeery long time now). I know I want to live off campus as I want to bring my dog sooner or later, and I absolutely do better living with roommates. Which means I plan on making friends by moving in with some strangers at some point, so I figure I may as well try to find people with the same passions that I have. I would be interested to connect with anybody else in the same boat who wants to look for a house to rent and live together for first year.
Hi! I'd definitely be interested in connecting with you on off campus housing!!

Hi there everyone,

I'd love to connect as well! I wanna know some people before I make this big jump!

I would love to connect with people as well! Where is everyone from? I'll be coming from Virginia

I would love to connect with people as well! Where is everyone from? I'll be coming from Virginia
I'm from spokane washington!

I'm having a hard time tracking down how much everything is going to cost so I can plan for what my loans will look like, what are you guys expecting to be the yearly cost? I saw that tuition is around €37,000, but does that include books and other fees? What about cost of living? I'd love to hear what you guys are thinking the loan situation might be

I'm having a hard time tracking down how much everything is going to cost so I can plan for what my loans will look like, what are you guys expecting to be the yearly cost? I saw that tuition is around €37,000, but does that include books and other fees? What about cost of living? I'd love to hear what you guys are thinking the loan situation might be

So cost of living depends on if you're going to live On Campus for your first year or not but I think On Campus housing is gonna run about €900-€1000 per month, i'm sure those numbers are somewhere on the website as well. Off campus I've heard people are paying 600-900 depending on roommate, location, etc. but definitely factor in transportation if you're living off campus. I think tuition is just tuition, books and fees not included. If you look at VMCAS, they have an "average student debt" figure on their website.

I'm from California and so I looked for off campus living. If you can't find someone to rent with for an empty flat/house. SpotAHome.Com is what I was using to look for off campus living. There's other sites, but this is by far the nicest.

I lived in Northern Ireland this last year while completing a Master's degree, in Belfast. I've really only been to Dublin a few times, but I'm looking forward to getting started with school and have this be the last time im in school

How did you choose a place so quickly?! Haha tell me your secrets!

I was looking for off campus living and while way better in a fiscal sense, I'm worried about not liking my flatmates/landlord/house/flat and with student living if you really don't get on with a flatmate you can ask to move flats. You'd have to completely relocate with off campus. So I think the first year, I'll bite the bullet and get more expensive student housing and then with friends get off campus living the following years.

I was looking for off campus living and while way better in a fiscal sense, I'm worried about not liking my flatmates/landlord/house/flat and with student living if you really don't get on with a flatmate you can ask to move flats. You'd have to completely relocate with off campus. So I think the first year, I'll bite the bullet and get more expensive student housing and then with friends get off campus living the following years.

That's my plan as well. I feel like living on-campus would be a good way to network with other people in the program and scout out potential flatmates

That's my plan as well. I feel like living on-campus would be a good way to network with other people in the program and scout out potential flatmates

What living hall are we supposed to be looking at? I don't want to live in an undergrad one and I'm sure there are some that are closer to the vet school than others

Do keep in mind though that most of the students in the on-campus living accommodation will be much younger (around 17-18) than us international students

If anyone is interested in joining the Facebook group message some of us created for UCD class of 2024 just shoot me a message and ill add you!

Reactions: 4 users

Message me personally and I can send you an excel file I made for this! It includes stuff like flights, living (on and off campus), tuition etc.

What living hall are we supposed to be looking at? I don't want to live in an undergrad one and I'm sure there are some that are closer to the vet school than others

From my research I think there are no specific halls for graduate students. I also think the vet med programme at UCD is considered "undergraduate" which is confusing to me personally.
I've heard in the past that they usually put all of the international students in the same residence but I'm not sure if that still holds true anymore, nor can I find any info on it. I also think Belgrove and Merville are the closest halls to the vet buildings on campus according to google maps. They are also the two cheapest options. However the rooms aren't ensuite so you would be sharing the bathroom with one other person in these two halls.
Lots to think about before making a decision!

Thanks all :) my letter said april 15 and deposit 2k .. anyone has had a chance to look at places? Am looking and will like one roomate. If anyone is looking send me a note. Am from NYC :)

Hi there everyone,

Me too! I love having housemates and would love to connect with others looking for off campus housing. I would like to bring my ACD mix over the first year.

There are student accommodations that arent actually owned or on the campus of unis. I'm looking at that right now. As some are cheaper than the on campus living and include everything the oncampus living has. Transport of course will have a cost, but I think getting a bus pass will still be cheaper in the long run.

Also, I've learned about this Irish Garauntor business. My boyfriend is from Northern Ireland so he's been helpful to explain some of the things they do in the Republic. The garauntor is basically like a cosigner. You make an account with them to garauntee to your accommodation that you can pay your rent. However, the garauntor has a monthly or one time fee that you do not get reimbursed... So to not have to pay additional money you can pay your stay in full. If your pay for half or all of your stay in advance they won't require a garauntor.

There are student accommodations that arent actually owned or on the campus of unis. I'm looking at that right now. As some are cheaper than the on campus living and include everything the oncampus living has. Transport of course will have a cost, but I think getting a bus pass will still be cheaper in the long run.

Also, I've learned about this Irish Garauntor business. My boyfriend is from Northern Ireland so he's been helpful to explain some of the things they do in the Republic. The garauntor is basically like a cosigner. You make an account with them to garauntee to your accommodation that you can pay your rent. However, the garauntor has a monthly or one time fee that you do not get reimbursed... So to not have to pay additional money you can pay your stay in full. If your pay for half or all of your stay in advance they won't require a garauntor.

I've also looked into private student accommodation but I found it to be very expensive. I was specifically looking at aparto. The rooms are around €250-275 per week, which is insane! Which ones have you been looking at? Maybe there are some cheaper ones I haven't come across in my search!

Ah the one I landed on isn't much better, The Points Campus. It is absolutely ridiculous compared to private renting. But unfortunately, I'm from California and in my head I'm thinking about how I'm getting alot more for alot less than my friends in San Francisco haha.

I'm prioritizing comfort over savings as it's only for the first year and those can sometimes be the hardest with adapting and academic stress. But I'm definitely looking forward to the cheaper rent next year hahaha.

But another thought I had was to reserve a student spot, put down the week rent for a deposit and if I find something better and cheaper before its time to move, switch places and lose out on my deposit. BUT save money in the long run hahaha

But another thought I had was to reserve a student spot, put down the week rent for a deposit and if I find something better and cheaper before its time to move, switch places and lose out on my deposit. BUT save money in the long run hahaha

I definitely see where you're coming from. If I had to spend a little extra to be comfortable while I'm half way across the world without family I would definitely do that too. I just wish the rates were more affordable overall. Dublin is way too expensive.

Are you talking about the private student housing on campus?

I mean, this is just a strategy. Could be applicable for any type of housing. But I myself, am looking at non-uni affliated student housing vs. private off campus renting. On campus is wild expensive.

Just turned down my offer, good luck to anyone on the waiting list:)

Hi, I'm very late but I've just received an interview invitation from Dublin. I read the email 3 times before I realized what's happening ;p

I have read that the interview is focusing on getting to know the applicants as a person rather than a MMI...is that still the case this year? I'm a mature student, and I did my courses here and there. It will be nice to have a chance to explain my "history".

Thanks!

Hi, I'm very late but I've just received an interview invitation from Dublin. I read the email 3 times before I realized what's happening ;p

I have read that the interview is focusing on getting to know the applicants as a person rather than a MMI...is that still the case this year? I'm a mature student, and I did my courses here and there. It will be nice to have a chance to explain my "history".

Thanks!
Wow they are still sending out interviews? Good for you!! It's basically just a chance to answer some questions. No MMI. Mine was very low key! They just wanted to get to know me and my background

Wow they are still sending out interviews? Good for you!! It's basically just a chance to answer some questions. No MMI. Mine was very low key! They just wanted to get to know me and my background

Thanks! I was VERY surprised too... I thought they have forgotten me at all. The last email I got is from 2 months ago saying they will give me a notification in 2 weeks. Good to hear that the interview is very low key! I am both anxious and excited.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was VERY surprised too... I thought they have forgotten me at all. The last email I got is from 2 months ago saying they will give me a notification in 2 weeks. Good to hear that the interview is very low key! I am both anxious and excited.

The interview was a great way to be a self advocate! They asked me about a couple of places on my transcript that I was able to explain and gave me a chance to explain all of the other life experiences I had going on at the time!

I had my interview today! Thank you, Aripal9 and Halez_96 for the advice. Skype interview was okay - wasn't super smooth because of the wifi but people who interviewed me were very nice. I was able to explain my background and also talked a bit about my experiences. Hope I can join you guys after the summer!