Is Wright State a legitimate medical school?

Started by 139871
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree. Being from Columbus, I always thought of WSU as a safety school, but was completely baffled after my interview. And yes, they are seven local hospitals.

There's this little part of me that wants to be rejected from OSU so I won't have to choose.

Does anyone know if it's possible to live in Columbus and drive to dayton during school? or would that be crazy?

On my interview day we got a chance to talk to the students and they mentioned that there were a couple of students in the med school class that commuted from Columbus. I believe they were both female and had families, which is why they commuted. They also mentioned that these students are always on time for class and seem to be doing alright.

On topic: this is an accredited med school with no probationary status so of course it's legitimate.
I would wonder about the legitimacy of GW though after their recent demotion.



PS. when they say 4-6 weeks for news does that mean 4 weeks... or 6 weeks? haha
 
The ADCOM meets this week, correct?

For what it's worth, I called admissions this morning and the woman with whom I spoke told me that "decisions should be made within the next 2-3 weeks and your status page will be updated to notify you that a letter has been sent."

This really bums me out. I don't know if I can wait another 3 weeks!!! I was hoping you had some insider information, Kappa.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For what it's worth, I called admissions this morning and the woman with whom I spoke told me that "decisions should be made within the next 2-3 weeks and your status page will be updated to notify you that a letter has been sent."

This really bums me out. I don't know if I can wait another 3 weeks!!! I was hoping you had some insider information, Kappa.

Well that really sucks. 🙁
 
I grad. undergrad from wsu and I am currently "dating" a young lady that is an MS3 there. For those of you who get accepted, you should really look at living in the lofts at the Greene... You'd be 10 mins away from campus... plus, the lofts are relatively inexpensive considering the atmosphere and quality of the place... my best friend is currently an MS2 at wsu and that's what he does and he loves living there...
 
I grad. undergrad from wsu and I am currently "dating" a young lady that is an MS3 there. For those of you who get accepted, you should really look at living in the lofts at the Greene... You'd be 10 mins away from campus... plus, the lofts are relatively inexpensive considering the atmosphere and quality of the place... my best friend is currently an MS2 at wsu and that's what he does and he loves living there...

Bryce, I'm trying to google the place, but I can't find it online. Would you happen to have a link to information about it? I even looked on apartment websites, but couldn't come up with anything.

thanks! 🙂:luck:
 
Bryce, I'm trying to google the place, but I can't find it online. Would you happen to have a link to information about it? I even looked on apartment websites, but couldn't come up with anything.

thanks! 🙂:luck:


Phospho,

Hey, check out www.thegreene.com that should get you where you want to be. Basically, the Greene emulates Easton mall. It is very new, and everyone goes there to hang out... for Dayton, it's classy😀 If you have any other questions pls, feel free.

Take Care!
 
Phospho,

Hey, check out www.thegreene.com that should get you where you want to be. Basically, the Greene emulates Easton mall. It is very new, and everyone goes there to hang out... for Dayton, it's classy😀 If you have any other questions pls, feel free.

Take Care!

You should also look at the apartments right next to the Greene. They are much cheaper than actually being in the Greene (well above the Greene stores). One of the guys I worked with this summer had an apartment right next to the Greene, he told me living next to the Greene prevents dealing w/ the traffic of the Greene while having the benefits of mall. Living near the Greene would be cool becuase the city rec center is only 3 blocks away. If you have any question let me know, I lived in Kettering (the city that borders the Greene mall) all my life until college.
 
Last edited:
You should also look at the apartments right next to the Greene. They are much cheaper than actually being in the Greene (well above the Greene stores). One of the guys I worked with this summer had an apartment right next to the Greene, he told me living next to the Greene prevents dealing w/ the traffic of the Greene while having the benefits of mall. Living near the Greene would be cool becuase the city rec center is only 3 blocks away. If you have any question let me know, I lived in Kettering (the city that borders the Greene mall) all my life until college.

thanks for the tips, will definitely check out next time I'm there! 🙂
Phospho,

Hey, check out www.thegreene.com that should get you where you want to be. Basically, the Greene emulates Easton mall. It is very new, and everyone goes there to hang out... for Dayton, it's classy😀 If you have any other questions pls, feel free.

Take Care!

I looked at the website, very cool place. I'm still debating on whether to do the columbus/dayton commute or rent. It would save me so much money. I think. Thank you though! 🙂

😱 I'm in!!! *does a little dance* 😀😀😀

haha, you deserve it! so, all things being equal, which would you choose, wright state or toledo? 😉
 
Just Got an interview to Wright. I read a couple of replies that said the school pref. In-state applicants, well I am not even from the U.S I am in Canada. So I am hopinh this means I really Impressed them one paper.
Any tips for those who've already interviewed???
 
Hey - I stumbled across this post. I am a MSI at WSU-BSOM. I also did my undergrad at WSU. If anyone has any questions about the school, interviewing, or anything else feel free to email me ([email protected]). I don't have time to check this forum but I will respond to any e-mails. I could even download all our class schedules if you are interested in seeing what a normal day looks like.

Good luck with any interviews.
 
I was just looking at the Curriculum actually, and it doesn't look like there are 3rd year electives. But let's not post in this thread anymore because the title is so awful!!
 
Does anyone know if we really do have third year electives? From what I remember, the only thing I didn't like about the curriculum is the lack of 3rd year electives, but I guess I could be wrong.
Most schools offer very few if any 3rd year electives...its usually spent doing the core clerkships.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most schools offer very few if any 3rd year electives...its usually spent doing the core clerkships.

so if you wanted to do something like EM, wouldn't you want to have completed an EM elective to put on your residency application? I know it's not required, but I heard that when you apply to residency, they'd like to see how you performed in that particular rotation (for example, a non-core residency, if that makes any sense). I also heard that since the residency app goes out early, you wouldn't really have much time to do an elective for it in your fourth year, unless it's in the very beginning of the 4th year.
 
well I saw at WSU we have to do mini electives during the first 2 years and I just looked at the electives course catalog and there is a EM Preceptorship, so at least you can have some exposure before the 3rd year.
 
I grad. undergrad from wsu and I am currently "dating" a young lady that is an MS3 there. For those of you who get accepted, you should really look at living in the lofts at the Greene... You'd be 10 mins away from campus... plus, the lofts are relatively inexpensive considering the atmosphere and quality of the place... my best friend is currently an MS2 at wsu and that's what he does and he loves living there...


Just curious, why the quotes on the word dating? You're sort of dating, but not really? 🙂
 
so if you wanted to do something like EM, wouldn't you want to have completed an EM elective to put on your residency application? I know it's not required, but I heard that when you apply to residency, they'd like to see how you performed in that particular rotation (for example, a non-core residency, if that makes any sense). I also heard that since the residency app goes out early, you wouldn't really have much time to do an elective for it in your fourth year, unless it's in the very beginning of the 4th year.

If you want to do something like EM at Wright State, you have opportunities to network by joining the EMIG, shadowing at any time for any reason, and choosing an EM preceptor (I have one myself, but he's so busy and I'm so busy it didn't work out). And no, you will not have elective chances 3rd year, and rightly because you'll be doing core clerkships. And yes, tons upon tons of our 4th years have time to do an EM rotation before applying to residency. And if you're already thinking about your residency application before you go to medical school . . . you're in for one helluva long road. 🙂. Don't miss the forest for the trees.
 
so if you wanted to do something like EM, wouldn't you want to have completed an EM elective to put on your residency application? I know it's not required, but I heard that when you apply to residency, they'd like to see how you performed in that particular rotation (for example, a non-core residency, if that makes any sense). I also heard that since the residency app goes out early, you wouldn't really have much time to do an elective for it in your fourth year, unless it's in the very beginning of the 4th year.
Good question...i guess you can shadow or schedule them early on 4th year...my school will be allowing 2- 2 week elective rotations 3rd year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.