You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 Wright State (Boonshoft)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ribonucleoprotein
Full Member
Congratulations! Would you mind discussing your applications or stats in DM's?
sure feel free to pm 🙂 i will prob be withdrawing tho
+1 for top third!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cgilles2025
Full Member
I did!! I thought that was weird, but at least I’m not the only oneDid anyone also get two emails that were the exact same? They both said the same information about my waitlist position.
beepboopboopbop
Full Member
+1 for top third as well!
MYOsin_guy16
Full Member
Lol Top Third too.
MYOsin_guy16
Full Member
Does Top third mean you'll likely get in? Or is that too bullish?
cgilles2025
Full Member
From my understanding, waitlist movement for Boonshoft is very real. Last year, someone on SDN posted from the middle third that received an acceptance. Top third is pulled from first, so I would consider it a real possibility. Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I’m keeping the faith!Does Top third mean you'll likely get in? Or is that too bullish?
likely, but not guaranteed, since it still depends on how many people withdraw their acceptance or fail to respond in a timely manner.Does Top third mean you'll likely get in? Or is that too bullish?
edit: but like cgilles mentioned earlier we do get pulled first so our chances are slightly higher 🙂
Do we have to do anything to confirm our position on the waitlist? For another school, I had to “accept” the waitlist offer, but they explicitly said to do so in their email. Wright state’s email didn’t make any mention of needing to do this, but I just wanted to make sure
To my knowledge, no.Do we have to do anything to confirm our position on the waitlist? For another school, I had to “accept” the waitlist offer, but they explicitly said to do so in their email. Wright state’s email didn’t make any mention of needing to do this, but I just wanted to make sure
MYOsin_guy16
Full Member
I confirm that you don't need to do anything, I didn't do anything and am on the waitlist.To my knowledge, no.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anonymous987654321
Full Member
Withdrew my A, good luck!
mrwaitlist1
Full Member
Bottom third on the alternative list! Will update this thread if anything changes. 😊😎
Dabigatran12345
New Member
Does anyone have the most recent MSAR data for BSOM
Yes I have an MSAR account! is there something specific you want to see?Does anyone have the most recent MSAR data for BSOM
Dabigatran12345
New Member
I was hoping to see the MCAT data and the demographicsYes I have an MSAR account! is there something specific you want to see?
Attachments
Can any current student fill me in on wright state?
Is the curriculum true P/F?
How easy is it to get research & pubs (mandatory research program resulting in poster/pub? mentoring? easy contact with physicians for case reports and such)?
How are rotations? Travelling a lot or just one main hospital?
In house or nbme exams?
mandatory lecture attendance?
dedicated step 1 time? dedicated step 2 time?
are rotations given on lottery system?
how are clinicals graded? Shelf only or shelf + evals? Easy to honor or does it differ between sites?
Is the curriculum true P/F?
How easy is it to get research & pubs (mandatory research program resulting in poster/pub? mentoring? easy contact with physicians for case reports and such)?
How are rotations? Travelling a lot or just one main hospital?
In house or nbme exams?
mandatory lecture attendance?
dedicated step 1 time? dedicated step 2 time?
are rotations given on lottery system?
how are clinicals graded? Shelf only or shelf + evals? Easy to honor or does it differ between sites?
GoryVirus 77
Full Member
During second look, the financial aid lady said that each student only receives about $1500 per year. This seemed really low to me (I'm low SES so I need all the help I can get). I also couldn't find anything online about how much financial aid is usually given out. Can any current student shine some light on if the $1500 is accurate?
I agree. I was very surprised to hear this and kinda disappointed tbh. Especially because I had just spoken with a medical student at another school (a lower tier state school) who received $50,000 in scholarshipDuring second look, the financial aid lady said that each student only receives about $1500 per year. This seemed really low to me (I'm low SES so I need all the help I can get). I also couldn't find anything online about how much financial aid is usually given out. Can any current student shine some light on if the $1500 is accurate?
okay, glad im not the only one who heard that number. I thought it was a mistake and was genuinely shocked. Like what'd we suppose to do with just 1500??...They really just said go apply for external scholarships yourself, or join the military for free aid.During second look, the financial aid lady said that each student only receives about $1500 per year. This seemed really low to me (I'm low SES so I need all the help I can get). I also couldn't find anything online about how much financial aid is usually given out. Can any current student shine some light on if the $1500 is accurate?
Last edited:
MyNameIs1999
Full Member
I was surprised too. Said it was because they are a young medical school so don't have a ton of wealthy grads to build a big endowment. Wright State University itself isn't a school with a lot of money to give out. I looked on their website, and for a bachelor's degree, an ohio resident who commutes to school only pays $6,436 a semester. $1,500 doesn't significantly reduce the cost, and if you live out of state, the tuition is ridiculously high. I guess we're hoping to earn enough after graduation to pay off $320,000 plus interest. Scary.
cgilles2025
Full Member
If you have in state ties, they allow you to petition for in state tuition. Not sure how easy that is, but double check to see if that’s actually a thing!I was surprised too. Said it was because they are a young medical school so don't have a ton of wealthy grads to build a big endowment. Wright State University itself isn't a school with a lot of money to give out. I looked on their website, and for a bachelor's degree, an ohio resident who commutes to school only pays $6,436 a semester. $1,500 doesn't significantly reduce the cost, and if you live out of state, the tuition is ridiculously high. I guess we're hoping to earn enough after graduation to pay off $320,000 plus interest. Scary.
filterfeeder54321
Full Member
has anyone received scholarship info today yet?
MyNameIs1999
Full Member
They also said something about needing a loan to cover tuition at some point, because the federal loans would not be enough or would run out or something and to be sure we have/keep good credit so we can do this because otherwise we wont be able to get the loans we will need. I think I zoned out or something because I can't remember exactly what was said - does anyone in here remember what she said about that?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cgilles2025
Full Member
I think that may have been in regards to exceeding the lifetime borrowing limit for unsubsidized loans(re: undergrad), but don’t quote me on thatThey also said something about needing a loan to cover tuition at some point, because the federal loans would not be enough or would run out or something and to be sure we have/keep good credit so we can do this because otherwise we wont be able to get the loans we will need. I think I zoned out or something because I can't remember exactly what was said - does anyone in here remember what she said about that?
Hi there, current student here. Happy to answer any questions, feel free to PM me.
Doing a quick read through. $1500 in what loans? They give $13,000-14,000 in loans for each semester for living expenses. I personally know a scholarship the school awards that is $40,000 a year and I am sure they're higher amounts as well.
Doing a quick read through. $1500 in what loans? They give $13,000-14,000 in loans for each semester for living expenses. I personally know a scholarship the school awards that is $40,000 a year and I am sure they're higher amounts as well.
It is true P/F, research hasn't been easy to come by but not terrible to get either. There is a mandatory research class and there is efforts to help you find research. With the new dean it does appear that our research options will be easier to get soon due to partnership with premier health. There is also a lot of contact with physicians. Rotations are done at our main hospital. However, there are multiple hospitals and ambulatory clinics in the same health system that students rotate through all ~ 20 mins away from campus. First two years there are in-house exams every two weeks and cumulative NBME exams to end the blocks. Then on rotations you get NBME shelf exams. You get 6-8 weeks of dedicated and rotations is not lottery. There is shelf exams and evaluations are used for determining your grade during clerkship.Can any current student fill me in on wright state?
Is the curriculum true P/F?
How easy is it to get research & pubs (mandatory research program resulting in poster/pub? mentoring? easy contact with physicians for case reports and such)?
How are rotations? Travelling a lot or just one main hospital?
In house or nbme exams?
mandatory lecture attendance?
dedicated step 1 time? dedicated step 2 time?
are rotations given on lottery system?
how are clinicals graded? Shelf only or shelf + evals? Easy to honor or does it differ between sites?
the financial aid lady said students, on average get $1,500 in scholarships total. The majority of the class just take grad+ loans and ones offered by the govtHi there, current student here. Happy to answer any questions, feel free to PM me.
Doing a quick read through. $1500 in what loans? They give $13,000-14,000 in loans for each semester for living expenses. I personally know a scholarship the school awards that is $40,000 a year and I am sure they're higher amounts as well.
I see and yeah it just depends ofc not everyone will receive a a large scholarship but some do and yeah the loans offered by the govt are enough to cover your attendance and cost of living where you shouldn't need any from a private lender.the financial aid lady said students, on average get $1,500 in scholarships total. The majority of the class just take grad+ loans and ones offered by the govt
Spidey2002
Full Member
I made sure to speak with financial aid in the one-on-one meetings that were offered during second look because I've already received a hefty scholarship from another state school. I don't doubt that the $1500 is accurate for the vast majority of students, and they were very upfront in that they're not able to offer any sort of substantial scholarships (or at least unwilling to match merit aid from other institutions). Though I fully understand and appreciated the transparency it was definitely very disappointing as I otherwise enjoyed second look and like a lot about Boonshoft. Now with 4/30 coming up I'm probably withdrawing 🙁 . . . Best of luck to those on the alt list and congrats to all accepted students as you begin school!During second look, the financial aid lady said that each student only receives about $1500 per year. This seemed really low to me (I'm low SES so I need all the help I can get). I also couldn't find anything online about how much financial aid is usually given out. Can any current student shine some light on if the $1500 is accurate?
The concern about financial aid is a fair one. My mother and I were shocked by how little money was offered especially when finances are such a huge deciding factor for so many. I wonder how this will shift in the future as the school continues to grow its alumni network.
chestjason
Full Member
I will be withdrawing my A with a 30k/yr scholarship. I hope this goes to one of you guys!
Just to clarify, you were offered an acceptance with a $30,000 a year scholarship?I will be withdrawing my A with a 30k/yr scholarship. I hope this goes to one of you guys!
chestjason
Full Member
Yea, got the acceptance back in October, then the scholarship this month.Just to clarify, you were offered an acceptance with a $30,000 a year scholarship?
Oh wow! That’s awesome!Yea, got the acceptance back in October, then the scholarship this month.
cgilles2025
Full Member
This afternoon, or this morning?IS A from waitlist today, top third ranking
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
15 mins agoThis afternoon, or this morning?
cgilles2025
Full Member
Congratulations!!15 mins ago
Congratulations!!!IS A from waitlist today, top third ranking
ribonucleoprotein
Full Member
withdrew from top third of the AL
cgilles2025
Full Member
Whoever you go with is lucky to have you!withdrew from top third of the AL