Lecom: Erie vs Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHasan1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I needed help in choosing from Erie and Bradenton. I just got accepted at Bradenton and have an erie interview coming up on the 26th. Besides the PBL programme at Bradenton and the options are Erie, the locations, how different are these schools and if you guys had a pick, which one would be beneficial in the bigger scheme of things??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I needed help in choosing from Erie and Bradenton. I just got accepted at Bradenton and have an erie interview coming up on the 26th. Besides the PBL programme at Bradenton and the options are Erie, the locations, how different are these schools and if you guys had a pick, which one would be beneficial in the bigger scheme of things??

Erie has more options in their style of education. In addition, it's also better established.

A DO told me that the FL school is better because of the local.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Nick. Do you mind telling me more about how you think Bradenton would be better than erie. I'd really appreciate it. thanks.

A DO told me that the FL school is better because of the local.

the local what? which DO told you the FL one was better? The DO who may teach at Bradenton? lol.

Erie is better established, in the northeast where there are greater number of potential DO connections to be made, more diversity in their teaching methods (not strictly PBL, but also a lecture-based program), and actually has a matchlist (i.e. more of a reputation). The only positive I see about Bradenton is the weather ...

First off, no one has attended both schools, so any attempt at comparing the two is bound to be slanted one way or another. I can only give you the Bradenton slant.

While it is true that the Bradenton campus has yet to match a class, we share rotations with Erie, so you will have the same 3rd and 4th year options open to you regardless of which campus you choose. Essentially the main difference comes down to where and how you want to spend your first two years.

If PBL is for you (and yes, after the interview, you should have a pretty good idea if it is) then Bradenton is a great place to attend. If after interviewing here, you have questions about how self motivated you will be, then I would think about exploring the lecture-based pathways at Erie. Since we are "all" PBL here, there is a lot of attention paid to making PBL work, and the curriculum is constantly being tweaked to improve it. Data shows a high correlation between PBL performance and Step I scores, which suggests to me that something is being done right. Our clinical exam course is also extremely rigourous, which should be good preparation for Step II.

The other factors to consider are less tangible. LECOM-B seems to be a kinder, gentler LECOM in some ways. Faculty and staff are extremely supportive of students here, and, since it is Florida, we have an amazing range of semi-retired expert physicians in the area to draw on. Our geriatrics lecturer last week literally wrote the recommended text. There is also a lot of comraderie between the students and everyone helps each other out. I'm sure there are people who are displeased with the school; most people I talk to seem very happy, as I am, with the learning environment here.

It's about 72 and sunny right now, and the beaches ARE great. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it, but the weather and locale should be a small factor in your decision. BTW, we have a HUGE test on Friday, so response from LECOM-B may be kinda quiet for the next couple days...

I understand what you're saying and by no means am I quesitoning Bradenton's intentions or how good PBL is going to be, but what I'm concerned about is that the fact bradenton is relatively new and still at times tweak around the curriculum, they might not have all the adequate resources at their disposal that established school like des moines, kirksville or CCOM might have. My quesiton is will the inexperience have any impact on the quality of education provided or will it have any impact on how competent the physicians of bradenton will be compared to those of more established schools like KCOM, CCOM, NYCOM etc..

I understand what you're saying and by no means am I quesitoning Bradenton's intentions or how good PBL is going to be, but what I'm concerned about is that the fact bradenton is relatively new and still at times tweak around the curriculum, they might not have all the adequate resources at their disposal that established school like des moines, kirksville or CCOM might have. My quesiton is will the inexperience have any impact on the quality of education provided or will it have any impact on how competent the physicians of bradenton will be compared to those of more established schools like KCOM, CCOM, NYCOM etc..

Any impact on the quality of education...almost certainly. I was only highlighting some of the differences I see between LECOM-B and LECOM-E, not trying to compare all DO schools. I interviewed and was accepted at several schools, but LECOM-B was the best choice for me for a variety of reasons: geographic, financial, familial, learning style, etc. It's up to you to weigh your unique situation and make a decision.

Any impact on on how competent the physcians will be...I think a physician's competence ultimately depends on the individual much more than where they attended school. If you talk to some docs, I think most will agree that your real education begins when you leave school. If you have the drive and put in the work, you will see the results. Any DO school will give you the tools; it's up to you to learn how to use them.

Any impact on the quality of education...almost certainly. I was only highlighting some of the differences I see between LECOM-B and LECOM-E, not trying to compare all DO schools. I interviewed and was accepted at several schools, but LECOM-B was the best choice for me for a variety of reasons: geographic, financial, familial, learning style, etc. It's up to you to weigh your unique situation and make a decision.

Any impact on on how competent the physcians will be...I think a physician's competence ultimately depends on the individual much more than where they attended school. If you talk to some docs, I think most will agree that your real education begins when you leave school. If you have the drive and put in the work, you will see the results. Any DO school will give you the tools; it's up to you to learn how to use them.

While I am not yet attending medical school, I do live in Bradenton and have for the past six years (LECOM-B is my first choice when it is time for me to apply next year), and I can tell you that having winters with temps mainly in the 70s versus winters in Erie is a big plus. Also the medical facilities down here are pretty nice as well. I've met a number of students attending LECOM B-ton and there seems to be an overwhelming satisfaction with the school. The advantage is that you have about 10 states that you can do your clerkships.

My hope is that the Primary Care track that they are starting on the Erie Campus (3 years versus 4 years) will eventually be started at the Bradenton campus.

Krisss17

I'd prefer Bradenton because of a) Dr. Boesler, who is reportedly a great OMM teacher, and b) my wife's best friend lives there. Still, those hellish summers are a turn-off.

I'd prefer Bradenton because of a) Dr. Boesler, who is reportedly a great OMM teacher, and b) my wife's best friend lives there. Still, those hellish summers are a turn-off.

Ut! I got my FL schools confused--Boesler's actually at NSUCOM.

Actually the summers aren't as bad on the West Coast of Florida as the East Coast. I also found that coming from NY, the humidity is no worse, but here in Florida we have that wonderful invention called central air.

Coming from Illinois, it'll be a trade-off. I'm sure that during the winter you are hit with snow and frigid temperatures...well, although we did have a cold snap here...within a week it is gone and the temps are now in the 70s.

Erie is cold
Florida is warm

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't care what anyone says, I still like FLECOM better than LECOM-B!:p

My hope is that the Primary Care track that they are starting on the Erie Campus (3 years versus 4 years) will eventually be started at the Bradenton campus.

Does the 3 year primary care track involve just family practice or does it encompass other specialties that are sometimes thought of as primary care like psych or peds?

Does the 3 year primary care track involve just family practice or does it encompass other specialties that are sometimes thought of as primary care like psych or peds?

When I interviewed I was told that it includes: family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, and OB/GYN as those fall under the primary care umbrella.

If you like to exercise, LECOM-Erie is planning to open their $30 million dollar health and wellness center next fall.

When I interviewed I was told that it includes: family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, and OB/GYN as those fall under the primary care umbrella.

no. it only includes FM, IM, and IM with a geriatrics speciality. It does NOT invlude peds or Ob-Gyn. LECOM is pretty big on giving out false information from what I've experienced thus far. :thumbdown:

Dr. Krueger is in Bradenton... then it's hands down Bradenton for me. He makes med school tolerable!:D

"You will DEFINITELY pass the boards if you just listen to me." W.A.K. quote 2003

Dr. Krueger is in Bradenton... then it's hands down Bradenton for me. He makes med school tolerable!:D

"You will DEFINITELY pass the boards if you just listen to me." W.A.K. quote 2003

"This is ULTRA high yield, must know information peoples" -WAK

His high yield anatomy and pharm is the BOMB!

FLECOM is the term LECOM-Erie students use to refer to LECOM-Bradenton when they are scraping the ice off the car in late Feb and thinking about us sunbathing on the beach

we may have been scraping ice off our cars, and no one will argue with the weather being better in fla than in erie, pa. but there are a definitely a couple of reasons (which you yourself may not be aware of), that someone might be better off choosing lecom-erie.

a) Pre-clinical education.
"This is ULTRA high yield, must know information peoples" -WAK

WAK was our PBL director the year before he moved to florida. he always made us feel better about any problems we had, and made us feel like we had a golden pass because we were PBL. unfortunately, this is not really the case. i think his "don't worry, you will pass" attitude, although it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, ends up making many students complacent. when he left, our new director made things much more challenging for us, and many students couldn't keep up. those of us who did, were rewarded with excellent board scores (COMLEX and USMLE). those who didn't, were either not allowed to take boards, or failed.

Data shows a high correlation between PBL performance and Step I scores, which suggests to me that something is being done right.

perhaps you didn't know that 26/120 students in this past year from your school failed boards? the "data" you speak of is not all due to PBL; the self-motivation of the students, and high standards set by faculty have a lot to do with it, which might be better in erie (specifically PBL). in this area, the beautiful weather and beach might be a cause for decreased personal motivation.

i'm not trying to bash the LECOM-B pre-clinical experience, i'm just letting you know that if you rely on motivation to succeed (as most of us do), you may not get the right type of encouragement to do well, and might be distracted a little more.

b) Clinical experience

Our clinical exam course is also extremely rigourous, which should be good preparation for Step II.

step II has nothing to do with your clinical exam course during the first two years. you learn everything you need to learn about step II (both COMLEX and USMLE) from your third year rotations/shelf exams. once you start studying for step II and/or take it, then you can talk about it. which leads me to...

we share rotations with Erie, so you will have the same 3rd and 4th year options open to you regardless of which campus you choose.

up until now at least, this is a fictional statement. numerous LECOM-B third years have told me that when it comes to setting up rotations in PA/MI/etc., they have met resistance. it is not impossible, just difficult. generally in those sites, LECOM-E gets preference, and although there have been efforts to set up rotations jointly, the truth of the matter is that LECOM-E sets up rotations well before LECOM-B.

well, one would argue, why not just set them up in fla? the answer is the quality of the clinical education. the current third years were allowed to set up their core rotations (IM, peds, surg, OB, etc.) with anyone they wanted to. the students now have to do these rotations with clinical affiliates, which just are not of the highest quality in fla. the majority of these rotations are in a preceptor format (just attending/student, no residents), and while this may appear beneficial, you will learn very little about true inpatient care of anyone in a hospital, and generally your education will be hampered because you are not in a true teaching institution. the best clinical sites are Mercy and West Penn Hospital in pittsburgh, which LECOM-E currently still has preference for. sure, there are some hospital based rotations in fla (suncoast, northside, wellington, fla hospital), but there are nowhere near the standard of care as Mercy/West Penn, both tertiary care centers with 600 beds, and 70-80 residents in varying fields (even cards/gi fellowships).

also, the little known fact about both LECOM sites is that certain hospitals have a contract with LECOM that ensures that a student will be there every month (Millcreek/Clarion in PA - there is even one in indianapolis now). so you may be forced to travel to the north anyway, even if you go to LECOM-B!

finally, i have heard through the grapevine that the clinical education director at LECOM-B is not always the easiest person to deal with, and this can often make setting up desired rotations more challenging.

c) atmosphere

this is one area that i'm sure LECOM-B is better.

The other factors to consider are less tangible. LECOM-B seems to be a kinder, gentler LECOM in some ways. Faculty and staff are extremely supportive of students here, and, since it is Florida, we have an amazing range of semi-retired expert physicians in the area to draw on. Our geriatrics lecturer last week literally wrote the recommended text. There is also a lot of comraderie between the students and everyone helps each other out. I'm sure there are people who are displeased with the school; most people I talk to seem very happy, as I am, with the learning environment here.

i can't personally speak to this stuff, because i didn't go to LECOM-B. but i did do a rotation at manatee back in may (mostly because i knew i would be able to hang out on the beach all day, and i didn't really care about peds), and the students/faculty do all seem genuinely happy. just don't equate happiness with a better education.

. i think his "don't worry, you will pass" attitude, although it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, ends up making many students complacent.

Ummm..."don't worry" is far, far from what his attitude is. He is adamant that IF you follow his rules, then you will likely pass. You are reminded over and over that if you do NOT follow his lead, then you WILL be in trouble. I think your interpretion is misleading at the least.

...the beautiful weather and beach might be a cause for decreased personal motivation.

Not so. Most people rarely have the time to enjoy the beach when they are studying so often, but just being able to sit outside makes you feel better. Plus, did you see the recent study showing an increase in both morbidity and mortality in winter climates? Colder climates have increases in MI's, Flu, CO poisoning, Vitamin D defficiency and others. Ever see a case of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or frostbite in Florida? Did you know that 600 Americans die each year from hypothermia? Not in FL.

...up until now at least, this is a fictional statement. numerous LECOM-B third years have told me that when it comes to setting up rotations in PA/MI/etc., they have met resistance. it is not impossible, just difficult.

Yes, but things were done differently with those "numerous third years" than they are done now. At the time, Erie was given first preference for the northern sites and Bradenton was given first preference for the southern sites. After one year of doing things that way, it was abandoned. We have people from 34 states in my classs and they are all different. Perhaps you should talk to the "numerous second years" about the way their rotations were set up before the generalized conclusions.

...also, the little known fact about both LECOM sites is that certain hospitals have a contract with LECOM that ensures that a student will be there every month (Millcreek/Clarion in PA - there is even one in indianapolis now). so you may be forced to travel to the north anyway, even if you go to LECOM-B!.

We all know that. We were told that up front. We were told again last month. Bet it'll come up again.

...finally, i have heard through the grapevine that the clinical education director at LECOM-B is not always the easiest person to deal with, and this can often make setting up desired rotations more challenging...

I can't really argue with that, but the vast majority of folks are a dream to deal with. Still, if you follow all the rules, then even he isn't all that bad. He just has high expectations of people. I guess that years as a military orthopaedic surgeon will do that for you.

...just don't equate happiness with a better education.

There is a lot to be said for "happiness." People tend to perform better in an environment where they are happy simply because it is less stressful. There is soooo much stress in med school already that it would be a mistake to go to a school that gives a "better" education, yet be miserable becase of your surroundings. One thing is for sure: If you need to be motivated, then you don't need to be in PBL because self-motivation is the only way to succeed under the system.

i'm not trying to bash the LECOM-B pre-clinical experience, i'm just letting you know that if you rely on motivation to succeed (as most of us do), you may not get the right type of encouragement to do well, and might be distracted a little more.

Motivation needs to come from within, not relying on others. If you rely on others for motivation, it will be very short-lived.

up until now at least, this is a fictional statement. numerous LECOM-B third years have told me that when it comes to setting up rotations in PA/MI/etc., they have met resistance. it is not impossible, just difficult. generally in those sites, LECOM-E gets preference, and although there have been efforts to set up rotations jointly, the truth of the matter is that LECOM-E sets up rotations well before LECOM-B.

Well, as LECOM-B's 3rd years are the first class to be in clinicals, it will of course have more bugs to work out. I'm sure that as new classes start, things will even out. I can say this because, by the time I hope to get there, there will already have been 2 classes that have graduated.

well, one would argue, why not just set them up in fla? the answer is the quality of the clinical education. the current third years were allowed to set up their core rotations (IM, peds, surg, OB, etc.) with anyone they wanted to. the students now have to do these rotations with clinical affiliates, which just are not of the highest quality in fla. the majority of these rotations are in a preceptor format (just attending/student, no residents), and while this may appear beneficial, you will learn very little about true inpatient care of anyone in a hospital, and generally your education will be hampered because you are not in a true teaching institution. the best clinical sites are Mercy and West Penn Hospital in pittsburgh, which LECOM-E currently still has preference for. sure, there are some hospital based rotations in fla (suncoast, northside, wellington, fla hospital), but there are nowhere near the standard of care as Mercy/West Penn, both tertiary care centers with 600 beds, and 70-80 residents in varying fields (even cards/gi fellowships).

I have to totally disagree with you about the lack of good hospitals down here on the West Coast of Florida. While LECOM-B still needs to get their stuff together for clinicals, there are many fine hospitals. One such hospital is Sarasota Memorial which has been listed as one of the 100 best.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/tophosp.htm

also, the little known fact about both LECOM sites is that certain hospitals have a contract with LECOM that ensures that a student will be there every month (Millcreek/Clarion in PA - there is even one in indianapolis now). so you may be forced to travel to the north anyway, even if you go to LECOM-B!

True, there are more clinical spots right now up north, but that's okay, because I see that there are clinical sites up in NY that I can do (my hometown). But I'm sure that will change as time goes on.

finally, i have heard through the grapevine that the clinical education director at LECOM-B is not always the easiest person to deal with, and this can often make setting up desired rotations more challenging.

I have to say, get use to it, because there is always going to be someone above you that may have this character trait. Unless you go into private practice and you are your own boss with no one above you, you will find yourself coming across people that may seem more difficult. Not to mention there are definitely going to be some patients that are going to be difficult to deal with.

c) atmosphere

i can't personally speak to this stuff, because i didn't go to LECOM-B. but i did do a rotation at manatee back in may (mostly because i knew i would be able to hang out on the beach all day, and i didn't really care about peds), and the students/faculty do all seem genuinely happy. just don't equate happiness with a better education.

Well, as to the beach...you'll notice the ones with the pastiest skin, are usually the natives that just don't have time to go to the beach. It is usually the tourists that are able to spend time on the beach.

See remarks above

scpod, were we writing this at the same time?

we may have been scraping ice off our cars, and no one will argue with the weather being better in fla than in erie, pa. but there are a definitely a couple of reasons (which you yourself may not be aware of), that someone might be better off choosing lecom-erie.

a) Pre-clinical education.

WAK was our PBL director the year before he moved to florida. he always made us feel better about any problems we had, and made us feel like we had a golden pass because we were PBL. unfortunately, this is not really the case. i think his "don't worry, you will pass" attitude, although it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, ends up making many students complacent. when he left, our new director made things much more challenging for us, and many students couldn't keep up. those of us who did, were rewarded with excellent board scores (COMLEX and USMLE). those who didn't, were either not allowed to take boards, or failed.

perhaps you didn't know that 26/120 students in this past year from your school failed boards? the "data" you speak of is not all due to PBL; the self-motivation of the students, and high standards set by faculty have a lot to do with it, which might be better in erie (specifically PBL). in this area, the beautiful weather and beach might be a cause for decreased personal motivation.

b) Clinical experience

step II has nothing to do with your clinical exam course during the first two years. you learn everything you need to learn about step II (both COMLEX and USMLE) from your third year rotations/shelf exams. once you start studying for step II and/or take it, then you can talk about it. which leads me to...

c) atmosphere

The OP asked for comments comparing LECOM-B to Erie. My initial response was, "First off, no one has attended both schools, so any attempt at comparing the two is bound to be slanted one way or another. I can only give you the Bradenton slant."

My goal was to share my perspective and info with the OP, not to participate in a competition between schools.

Dr. Kruger's great, but anyone that wholeheartedly believes him when he says,"this is all you need for the boards" probably deserves to fail. Hell, I don't believe Goljan when he says that. I have yet to meet anyone whose board strategy hinges on just studying what Dr. Kruger says. To me, Dr. Kruger's a great motivator, but there are plenty of people involved with PBL down here besides him to make sure we stay on our toes.

I really can't speak to how the encouragement and motivation level of students would compare at either campus. The data I am speaking of in regards to PBL has nothing to do with the board pass rate; it simply shows that the scores that students got on PBL exams were well correlated with their Step I scores. Students who did very well in PBL did very well on the boards. Students who struggled in PBL struggled on the boards. When I say something is being done right in PBL, I mean that this correlation suggests to me that the material we are learning and being tested on is the right content to prepare us for the boards.

As far as Step II goes, it's true, I haven't taken it, but my point is that both clinical exam and OMM are increasingly being structured with Step II in mind, something which according to the professors and deans, was not done as consciously in the past.

In regards to rotations, the process is changing and improving with each class that goes through it. I'm sure I will have a lot more opinions, both negative and positive, once I go through it myself. My statement was based on the information which was given to us, which is that both campuses will participate in the same rotation selection process.

I appreciate your comments. If my ice scraping comment offended you, I apologize. It was a joke.

Ummm..."don't worry" is far, far from what his attitude is. He is adamant that IF you follow his rules, then you will likely pass. You are reminded over and over that if you do NOT follow his lead, then you WILL be in trouble. I think your interpretion is misleading at the least.

...the beautiful weather and beach might be a cause for decreased personal motivation.

Not so. Most people rarely have the time to enjoy the beach when they are studying so often, but just being able to sit outside makes you feel better. Plus, did you see the recent study showing an increase in both morbidity and mortality in winter climates? Colder climates have increases in MI's, Flu, CO poisoning, Vitamin D defficiency and others. Ever see a case of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or frostbite in Florida? Did you know that 600 Americans die each year from hypothermia? Not in FL.

Yes, but things were done differently with those "numerous third years" than they are done now. At the time, Erie was given first preference for the northern sites and Bradenton was given first preference for the southern sites. After one year of doing things that way, it was abandoned. We have people from 34 states in my classs and they are all different. Perhaps you should talk to the "numerous second years" about the way their rotations were set up before the generalized conclusions.

We all know that. We were told that up front. We were told again last month. Bet it'll come up again.

I can't really argue with that, but the vast majority of folks are a dream to deal with. Still, if you follow all the rules, then even he isn't all that bad. He just has high expectations of people. I guess that years as a military orthopaedic surgeon will do that for you.

There is a lot to be said for "happiness." People tend to perform better in an environment where they are happy simply because it is less stressful. There is soooo much stress in med school already that it would be a mistake to go to a school that gives a "better" education, yet be miserable becase of your surroundings. One thing is for sure: If you need to be motivated, then you don't need to be in PBL because self-motivation is the only way to succeed under the system.

i'd have to say a pretty reasonable post. my intention was not to make anyone upset, just to provide information (which i guess happened to be a little misinformation, and i apologize for that); you are a student at LECOM-B, and therefore are going to defend it. and honestly, i think you will be fine; it's not really people like you that have to worry. at least the rotations will be more fair to you guys then the current third years; they often feel like second class citizens. i hope for your sake that the bugs are taken care of, and you get the opportunity to rotate in pittsburgh. the benefits of rotating at an academic teaching institution are tremendous, and if i were you, i would choose pittsburgh as my primary site, set up as many rotations as you can at west penn and mercy, find an apartment in pittsburgh, and not look back.

the info about the required rotations at certain clinical sites was not for you; i'm sure you know that. not so sure all the applicants do though. and are you really gonna give SAD/frostbite/MI as a reason to come to FL for medical school? MI?!?!

with regards to dr. krueger, i love the guy. sometimes when you're in the deep dark hole of the library, studying all day, his encouragement really keeps you going. but in all honesty, having taken both steps of COMLEX and USMLE, his "high yield" list is really not all that high yield. his "rules/lead' as you call it are truly only the bare minimum. and as evidenced by the LECOM-B '08 performance, it may not even be enough. how else do you explain 20% failure? you said the weather wasn't a distraction.

you wanna rock boards? read robbins' pathology cover to cover this summer. split the book up amongst a few other students, take notes on the whole thing next year. do that with all your textbooks. learn the kaplan books inside out. get the goljan mp3s, listen to them in the car, in your ipod, when you sleep, nonstop. use the USMLE q-bank, not the COMLEX q-bank. this is what i did. you have to go WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND krueger's rules to truly do well.

The OP asked for comments comparing LECOM-B to Erie. My initial response was, "First off, no one has attended both schools, so any attempt at comparing the two is bound to be slanted one way or another. I can only give you the Bradenton slant."

My goal was to share my perspective and info with the OP, not to participate in a competition between schools.

Dr. Kruger's great, but anyone that wholeheartedly believes him when he says,"this is all you need for the boards" probably deserves to fail. Hell, I don't believe Goljan when he says that. I have yet to meet anyone whose board strategy hinges on just studying what Dr. Kruger says. To me, Dr. Kruger's a great motivator, but there are plenty of people involved with PBL down here besides him to make sure we stay on our toes.

I really can't speak to how the encouragement and motivation level of students would compare at either campus. The data I am speaking of in regards to PBL has nothing to do with the board pass rate; it simply shows that the scores that students got on PBL exams were well correlated with their Step I scores. Students who did very well in PBL did very well on the boards. Students who struggled in PBL struggled on the boards. When I say something is being done right in PBL, I mean that this correlation suggests to me that the material we are learning and being tested on is the right content to prepare us for the boards.

As far as Step II goes, it's true, I haven't taken it, but my point is that both clinical exam and OMM are increasingly being structured with Step II in mind, something which according to the professors and deans, was not done as consciously in the past.

In regards to rotations, the process is changing and improving with each class that goes through it. I'm sure I will have a lot more opinions, both negative and positive, once I go through it myself. My statement was based on the information which was given to us, which is that both campuses will participate in the same rotation selection process.

I appreciate your comments. If my ice scraping comment offended you, I apologize. It was a joke.

no offense taken. you seem to understand what it takes to do well in school, and you will be fine. i only worry about those less motivated than you, which for some reason, there just seem to be a lot of at your campus, at least in the class of '08. whether it's a personal thing, faculty, or the weather, who knows. i didn't want to create a pissing match, just wanted to point out some of the weaknesses that LECOM-B has, which many of the posts on here fail to mention. i have no reason to compete with anyone. all of us have the same goal when we post here; to help those that come after us, the same way we were helped. much of my decision making during 3rd/4th year has been influenced by the topics discussed in these forums (the anesthesia forum mostly), and it would be selfish of me to not attempt to pay it forward.

good luck on your test tomorrow, and tell drs. krueger, moradi, and sexton i said hi.

no offense taken. you seem to understand what it takes to do well in school, and you will be fine. i only worry about those less motivated than you, which for some reason, there just seem to be a lot of at your campus, at least in the class of '08. whether it's a personal thing, faculty, or the weather, who knows. my intention was not to create a pissing match, just to point out some of the weaknesses that LECOM-B has, which many of the posts on here fail to mention. i have no reason to compete with anyone. all of us have the same goal when we post here; to help those that come after us, the same way we were helped. much of my decision making during 3rd/4th year has been influenced by the topics discussed in these forums (the anesthesia forum mostly), and it would be selfish of me to not attempt to pay it forward.

good luck on your test tomorrow, and tell drs. krueger, moradi, and sexton i said hi.

Appreciate the great advice in your posts.
bowdown.gif

I think the first year at any school is bound to have some unique challenges. I'm definitely anxious to see how the second years do this year.

It includes IM, PEDS, FP, and Geriatrics, but at the moment no OB/GYN because they can't get the rotation set up. :( And that's what I wanted....

It includes IM, PEDS, FP, and Geriatrics, but at the moment no OB/GYN because they can't get the rotation set up. :( And that's what I wanted....

Wow. Resurrecting this ancient thread? Ok.

LECOM-E = Cold
LECOM-B = Warm

Winner? LECOM-B.