This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattpott090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am planning to apply to several post-bacc programs with hopes to matriculate in Fall of 2016. I was hoping to get an opinion on my chances, and a little guidance on the LORs.

My Background:
SAT 770M 700V
Georgia Tech - Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering 3.12 GPA, 2.97 major GPA
Worked professionally for a couple years as an engineer
Admitted to Coast Guard OCS (most selective among 5 armed forces, less than 10% OCS acceptance rate)
Disenrolled from OCS due to an injury in March of 2015
Just started volunteering in a hospital OR department

As far as Letters of Recommendation, it seems that most post-bacc programs require two. I am debating between several writers. I am trying to determine what admissions would value most

Former Coach: could speak about lots of leadership material, high performance sport at a high performance university, talk about my personal production under high pressure environment
Former Engineering Supervisor: could speak to my professional skills, technical/academic capacity, the job was design engineering so it was very technically oriented
Former Engineering Co-worker: 15+ years older than me, holds a PhD, worked with him on a lot of technical projects so could attest to my technical/academic capacity, detail oriented, etc.
Former Professor: Did 1 year of engineering research with as an undergrad (2011-2012), fell out of touch with him but recently emailed him and said he would be happy to write on my behalf

I am trying to determine what admissions would value most for acceptance into a post-bacc program. Academic capacity or leadership potential/personal drive/well roundedness.

Also what are my chances of getting into a top post-bacc program (JHU, BM, Goucher). I realize my GPA is on the low end. Would they take into consideration the rigor of the degree and rigor of the institution (engineering at Georgia Tech is known to be pretty tough)? Any input you have would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.