This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FS777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum this is my first post.

I was accepted to Liberty University's 2 year Biomedical sciences program which is 39 credit hours $580/hr. I was told I would be given a guaranteed acceptance into LUCOM if I maintain a 3.5 in the program and receive a 500 MCAT. 20 students in the class. Starts 9/27

I just received a call today from PCOM-Georgia and they offered me a seat in their program. They do not offer a guaranteed acceptance, into their COM. They offer a guaranteed interview with a 3.0GPA in their program. Their tuition rate is 53credits x $828/hr. If I choose the 2 year program. 75-80 students in the class. Starts 9/15

I am leaning toward Liberty due to my campus visit and the director of their program has been very nice and it seems they really take care of their students.

Just wondering if I could get some advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I was accepted to Liberty University's 2 year Biomedical sciences program which is 39 credit hours $580/hr. I was told I would be given a guaranteed acceptance into LUCOM if I maintain a 3.5 in the program and receive a 500 MCAT. 20 students in the class. Starts 9/27

I just received a call today from PCOM-Georgia and they offered me a seat in their program. They do not offer a guaranteed acceptance, into their COM. They offer a guaranteed interview with a 3.0GPA in their program. Their tuition rate is 53credits x $828/hr. If I choose the 2 year program. 75-80 students in the class. Starts 9/15

I am leaning toward Liberty due to my campus visit and the director of their program has been very nice and it seems they really take care of their students.

You need to gather some additional data points to make an intelligent decision. Do some research on this site, and read what a number of other members think about Liberty. Goro is an adcom at another DO school and does not hold Liberty in high regard. (He probably knows more about other DO programs than 95% of the other posters on this site.) In addition, if it was me, I would call the program director of the BMS program at Liberty and ask what percent of their class actually achieves a 3.5 GPA and subsequently matriculates into their DO program. You may find it easier to achieve their 500 MCAT minimum instead of a 3.5 GPA. Lastly, look around on this site and read about the pro's and con's associated with SMP programs. It is a risk vs reward thing. Many students find that they can't hit their GPA objectives and subsequently have no DO school admits coupled with an incremental $22,620 of debt (LU MS-BMS cost).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

If you are interested in attending a DO school, enrolling in an SMP is not worthwhile.

You can save a lot of money by retaking courses at a community college/state university if you have a low GPA. If your MCAT score is low (under 500, we'll say), then you need to focus solely on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask for last year's data on how many enrolled and how many ended up attending their med school. Some of these programs can be the kiss of death in that over half don't make the grades. One program that I interviewed at sent me an offer for their SMP program but if I accepted it I would have had to agree to not apply to any other med schools. LU is a very very conservative Christian school. If that is you great! If not then you might not be happy with the values they expect you to adhere to.

Always go with the garuntee.

Although, if u have a 3.5 and a 500 mcat, I would assume u could get into a good number of DO schools, LUCOM included

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to have to mull over a few factors with my family before I make my decision.

Thank you all for your input once again, it is greatly appreciated.

Ask LUCOM about how you'll be graded for that 3.5. Is it based on a curve with everyone in class competing against each other, or is it just straight forward letter grading.
Lot of these SMPs grade you on a curve where only the top 1/3rd or half the kids get the desired GPA because they're being graded on a curve and you have to hit 95+ in some instances to get your A's.
Something to consider :)
You also have to confirm the "guarantee". Have it in writing. From my knowledge, LUCOM's program used to have the guarantee only for the 1 year track. I guess things have changed.

Terrible decision. Two years is a long time. Just focus on your MCAT, retake some classes at a CC. Unless your grades are very very poor, then these programs are useless. If that's the case, I believe LMU's program is 1 year? and you could try there.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

they called you to accept you thats awesome

Terrible decision. Two years is a long time. Just focus on your MCAT, retake some classes at a CC. Unless your grades are very very poor, then these programs are useless. If that's the case, I believe LMU's program is 1 year? and you could try there.

I agree and disagree here. We have no information about the OP's stats so it's near impossible to answer this question thoroughly.

Strictly considering SMPs without other factors, I wouldn't call them a "terrible decision" if your stats make you an appropriate candidate. SMPs are designed for those who really can't do a PB for one reason or another but wish to prove they are capable of medical school level course-work. There, of course, are downsides - SMPs are usually expensive and very difficult to do well in BUT I think they are certainly worth it if you are confident in your ability to excel.

I do agree that 2 years is long and I would rather a 1 year SMP. Also remember, your SMP holds the most weight at the institution at which you complete it. If you take one, do it at a medical school you could see yourself going to, as again, your greatest chances for acceptance will be at your SMP institution.

OP - if your GPA isn't great and you have no room for improvement through PB classes (aka - you have very close to a 3.0 and if above, a very, very low ~3 GPA), then you definitely can consider a SMP especially if finances aren't an issue for you. Just be aware (and this is from personal experience) - SMPs are notoriously difficult. They are very close to a year of medical school except you aren't pass/fail; your grades matter a lot. Doing poorly in a SMP can leave you at a worse position than you are right now. Also remember, the MCAT is your friend. Prepare well and do well; it helps a lot in this process.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users