-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015
Started by DOthreads
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/43453359.jpgHow do you know it's specifically 243?
He's secretly a wizard.
I think it's also mentioned online somewhere or maybe at interview.
But mostly? Wizard.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohh how much movement is there usually in the month of July? Also do all apps get reviewed again when a spot opens up or just a random few ?
The first week of Gross Anatomy Boot Camp has been pretty awesome, even though my brain hurts. The free pizza today helped. 🙂 Studying for practicals seems very doable using UMich and pimping each other in lab and the model room. What did you guys use to study for the written exams? Some TA's said BRS Anatomy is good, one said Gray's Anatomy Review. Thanks.
Unlike bootcamp, MGA will have power points. Going over the power points over and over helps, UMich for SURE helps, the BRS is awesome too. Even better though, is using the lab and using your resources in the lab such as Tutors, TA's and the awesome fellows to just go over things with you time and time again. They will hold review sessions and if you're struggling a bit, you can normally email someone to come help you. Group study really helps too. Just use all of the resources you can 🙂
hi, where can i find the DCOM 2018 page on facebook
Type DCOM 2018 in the search field. It should appear in the drop down list.hi, where can i find the DCOM 2018 page on facebook
I hear black is slimming 😉 😛Sweeeet! Thanks. I just got added. Now I just need scrubs that don't make my butt look huge. [emoji3]
Does anyone know if it is still a possibility of getting in off the waitlist this late in the process? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually, a friend of mine just got a call today. So, keep thinking positively!
Holy cow. Do you know what her stats were by chance and when se applied?
I think they'd want to kill you if you called everyday. Don't do that.I was in a masters program this past year and am still waitlisted. Did he send a lot of letters and keep calling the office? Or did it just happen?
Ive been sending letters but I want to know if he called everyday or anything like that.
Hey everyone, two quick questions:
1) does the university inn come with a mattress.
2) how much does the average first year volunteer? I see an email in Pathway for an opportunity but would like to get my feet set first before committing to volunteering. Thanks!!!
1) does the university inn come with a mattress.
2) how much does the average first year volunteer? I see an email in Pathway for an opportunity but would like to get my feet set first before committing to volunteering. Thanks!!!
Hey everyone, two quick questions:
1) does the university inn come with a mattress.
2) how much does the average first year volunteer? I see an email in Pathway for an opportunity but would like to get my feet set first before committing to volunteering. Thanks!!!
1. Yup. Queen sized.
2. Volunteering varies by student. We do participate in the TOUCH program which rewards students for getting 50+ hours a year. There are opportunities for one day volunteering that are great to do while you're settling in. If you plan to do anything with a more long term commitment, I would advise waiting until after your first big exam.
1. Yup. Queen sized.
2. Volunteering varies by student. We do participate in the TOUCH program which rewards students for getting 50+ hours a year. There are opportunities for one day volunteering that are great to do while you're settling in. If you plan to do anything with a more long term commitment, I would advise waiting until after your first big exam.[/Q
awesome, thank you!1. Yup. Queen sized.
2. Volunteering varies by student. We do participate in the TOUCH program which rewards students for getting 50+ hours a year. There are opportunities for one day volunteering that are great to do while you're settling in. If you plan to do anything with a more long term commitment, I would advise waiting until after your first big exam.
Hey guys, a few things:
- I know this has been touched on in the thread but the responses have been kind of conflicting. What EQUIPMENT and TEXTBOOKS are truly needed for first year? I know most people have said the only book you really need is some sort of anatomy atlas. Could any second-years please say what equipment I actually need to buy? Because I don't want to buy all that welch-allen equipment if I don't need it.
- What size are the beds at Mars and Lee? Does the desk in the room come with a chair?
- I know this has been touched on in the thread but the responses have been kind of conflicting. What EQUIPMENT and TEXTBOOKS are truly needed for first year? I know most people have said the only book you really need is some sort of anatomy atlas. Could any second-years please say what equipment I actually need to buy? Because I don't want to buy all that welch-allen equipment if I don't need it.
- What size are the beds at Mars and Lee? Does the desk in the room come with a chair?
Last edited:
I've been told
- Buy the kit from a 3rd year about to go on rotations for a significant discount. Find PDFs for the books you think you need, but you won't have time to read them because you'll have a zillion and a half powerpoints coming at you. Rohen's, Netter's, and (for a few) Gray's Anatomy for Students seem to be the best books if you're intent on actually buying textbooks. People have told me they found good deals for them on the Amazong Marketplace. I have found PDFs for the first two, and Gray's anatomy is actually open source and can be found linked on wikipedia's webpage for it.
- I have heard the beds are Queen sized. Unknown about the chair.
- Buy the kit from a 3rd year about to go on rotations for a significant discount. Find PDFs for the books you think you need, but you won't have time to read them because you'll have a zillion and a half powerpoints coming at you. Rohen's, Netter's, and (for a few) Gray's Anatomy for Students seem to be the best books if you're intent on actually buying textbooks. People have told me they found good deals for them on the Amazong Marketplace. I have found PDFs for the first two, and Gray's anatomy is actually open source and can be found linked on wikipedia's webpage for it.
- I have heard the beds are Queen sized. Unknown about the chair.
Hey guys, a few things:
- I know this has been touched on in the thread but the responses have been kind of conflicting. What EQUIPMENT and TEXTBOOKS are truly needed for first year? I know most people have said the only book you really need is some sort of anatomy atlas. Could any second-years please say what equipment I actually need to buy? Because I don't want to buy all that welch-allen equipment if I don't need it.
- What size are the beds at Mars and Lee? Does the desk in the room come with a chair?
Even if it does come with a chair, I would buy a nice one. You're going to be in it a lot. [emoji6]
And on rotations, I pretty much only use my stethoscope, reflex hammer and tuning fork. Most times not even the last two. However, you will be expected to have it during the EPC labs. I only used Rohen's and Netter's during first year. I just used the power points for every other class. Oh and the anatomy dissection atlas.
All books are floating around in .pdf format. When you get here just ask a second year for them.
Thanks for the responses! I've heard we should also buy a dissection kit. If so, what is a good one to get and where?
The beds in Mars and Lee are twin XL by the way...
To those of you that have already moved in, what have you been doing lately? I'm not moving in until next week.
The beds in Mars and Lee are twin XL by the way...
To those of you that have already moved in, what have you been doing lately? I'm not moving in until next week.
I think they said one of the Clubs will be selling dissecting kits before lab starts. The Peds Club sold gloves before boot camp, so I assume they'll do that again.Thanks for the responses! I've heard we should also buy a dissection kit. If so, what is a good one to get and where?
The beds in Mars and Lee are twin XL by the way...
To those of you that have already moved in, what have you been doing lately? I'm not moving in until next week.
We've been studying, but there's usually a basketball, ultimate frisbee, or soccer game somewhere. You can also go hiking, biking, or hang out in Knoxville.
I don't know about other dorms, but at the Inn, power flickers during thunderstorms like 5 minutes ago, so I thankfully brought my UPS battery backup system to connect my desktop PC to. There's been a thunderstorm here like every other day since I got here 3 weeks ago. This morning I had to avoid a turtle on the highway before the tunnel. That was a first for me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We've been studying.
I really hope you're in boot camp or something. Otherwise, you should be doing anything else but studying.
I don't know about other dorms, but at the Inn, power flickers during thunderstorms like 5 minutes ago, so I thankfully brought my UPS battery backup system to connect my desktop PC to. There's been a thunderstorm here like every other day since I got here 3 weeks ago.
This was always really annoying to me. Power was even labile during storms at my Ball apartment. It felt like the whole town was that way.
This was always really annoying to me. Power was even labile during storms at my Ball apartment. It felt like the whole town was that way.
I'm at Ball. Power flickers here but doesn't go out in my experience. The guy who built Ball is on the board at the power company so it's an unofficial top priority for them.
If anyone has any questions about getting things set up when the move in, let me know. I'll be happy to help.
FYI get your internet up ASAP I know people who've had to wait for two weeks to get service and that has made boot camp rough on them.
Got accepted yesterday! There is still hope for those waitlisted!
Nice! It's always interesting to see people get accepted this late and turn scramble up to Harrogate.
Congrats!
Hurry up and get to the gate man!Got accepted yesterday! There is still hope for those waitlisted!
Got accepted yesterday! There is still hope for those waitlisted!
What were ur gpa and mcats?
I can't believe that orientation starts Tuesday. It's been a helluva ride, and soon, it all starts for real.
Congrats to all you guys starting this week.
Trust me, the ride is only just beginning. [emoji12]
Good luck everybody! Feel free to PM me if you need anything.
D
deleted158872
Can you do all of the CORE rotations at 1 place?
D
deleted158872
Is there a bus or public transportation from Knoxville airport to LMU ?
Can you do all of the CORE rotations at 1 place?
Sort of. I mean some rotations maybe, but most require you to travel from hospital to hospital to put patient clinic for different parts of the core rotation. However they will all be close enough to commute every morning.
Is there a bus or public transportation from Knoxville airport to LMU ?
I don't know, but I doubt it.
Is there a bus or public transportation from Knoxville airport to LMU ?
No, it's about 1.5 drive. Most people get a rental car.
Can you do all of the CORE rotations at 1 place?
Depends on your site. Some sites have everything at one location. My site has everything but surgery in-house and it's only about 20 min drive from one hospital to the next.
Exactly! That's why I'm applying for the masters program. Rushing to apply for their DO school seems too much (oooh but what if I got a XX in the MCAT, oooh but whatifwhatifwhatif) and to be honest, the application process when not prepared just seems so daunting. Sure, I could save a year if I got accepted, but I could not and even thinking about the primaries, secondaries, interviews, etc. when I still have prereqs and the MCAT to take (for the first time) and applying so late and rushing everything seems stressful at this point. At least the masters program will really prepare me for med school - and when I do apply for DCOM, I'll be 100% ready with added awesomesauce, and then some!
I keep telling myself there's no rush. Med school will still be there, it's not going anywhere.
Calm down.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 622
- Views
- 118K
- Replies
- 2K
- Views
- 311K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 197K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 227K