Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

2/19. The Dean was out of town for a bit. Ended up getting the letter the same day too.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 26th and got the call about a half hour ago. Hoping for good news for all of you

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone living in the Shelton/Langley halls? I really want to know what they are like in the inside - there's no information on them, other than the fact they are on the main campus (which is very alluring to me).

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
also interviewed the 26th but no call yesterday :( looks like its rejection or waitlist for me. sigh really loved DCOM and had a good feeling about it.

Congrats to those in my interview group that got accepted! :)

Last edited:
Anyone know when the first day of classes are? And when orientation begins? Can't find the info on the website. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Anyone know when the first day of classes are? And when orientation begins? Can't find the info on the website. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they are still making up the fall schedule for everyone. You can use the current calendar and get a ballpark estimate of when things could start. http://www.lmunet.edu/academics/sch...athic-medicine/do/academics/academic-calendar

Just add or subtract a few days around the start of orientation and when classes begin.

Reactions: 1 users

Boot camp runs until July 22nd this year. I suspect orientation starts the week after that.

Has anyone recently got a II. If so how long ago were you complete .

I got an II and scheduled my interview last week (4/1). I was complete mid Jan I believe.

Congrats to all those who got accepted! Can't wait to meet you all next year.
I am a current first year student at DCOM. I just wanted to put it out here to see if anyone is looking for roommates to live off campus with next year?
One of my roommates is leaving so if you are a girl and interested, I would be happy to give more information.
I live about 2 miles from campus in a 3 bed/2bath. You would have your own room and be sharing a bathroom with one other first year.
Both of us will be second year students next year studying for the boards so our main request is someone who can give us the privacy and the quiet time to get all that studying done.
Congrats once again, and if there are any questions I can answer related or not related to my post, ask away :)

Interviewed 2/26..Got the call Friday at 3:37pm!! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all those who got accepted! you are going to be DOCTERS!
I am still and waiting and praying for an II.. Has anyone received an II recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, for those who have been accepted, is there anything you can tell us about the package that DCOM provides? Is there one? What is in it? That sort of thing! Thank you!!

No I meant like do they provide students with an iPad or laptop or pay for COMLEX? :)

No I meant like do they provide students with an iPad or laptop or pay for COMLEX? :)

No for sure on the first half -unless that got changed and I didn't hear about it. Highly doubtful for the second half, but I'm a first year so they could pay for something else but a second year could answer for sure if they paid for anything.

Also, for those who have been accepted, is there anything you can tell us about the package that DCOM provides? Is there one? What is in it? That sort of thing! Thank you!!
They do not give Ipads or computers. They give stats on what computers and stuff you need, I hope the one I have now is good enough because I do not want to buy anything else. Tuition, equipment, and housing is going to be enough as it is!

They do not give Ipads or computers. They give stats on what computers and stuff you need, I hope the one I have now is good enough because I do not want to buy anything else. Tuition, equipment, and housing is going to be enough as it is!

computers: 3 years ago, they used to give everyone thinkpads and charged a tech fee of ~2,000 over your first two years. Now they only charge a $200 tech fee over the first 2 years and tell you to bring your own. 80% of everyone has a surface pro or apple product, so you save in the longrun.

what I am saying is what happened this year, but probably will happen this way next fall. IF you have anything that will work until for a week and a half, you should be OK. 5 out of the 6 classes meet, but only OP&P and anatomy teach more than what is expected and what is on the syllabus. Student loans roll in the friday after the first full week (the second friday). This past year, that corresponded to tax free weekend in Tennessee (save 10% on the computer.) make sure to ONLINE fill out a change of address with the USPS, you usually get a BestBuy 20% off coupon kicked back to you eventually by email.

As already addressed, they use to give computers that were insanely overpriced and crappy devices. They now allow students to buy their own computers.
As for COMLEX 1 and 2, they do not pay for that either, however supposedly the loans for second year spring semester and third year spring semester have the cost of COMLEX in it.
They also don't pay for the PE. But again, cost is in loans.
Pretty much the only thing provided now is the white coat. However, I had heard that the dean was thinking of changing this and having students buy their own white coat... Not sure how true this is.

Pretty much the only thing provided now is the white coat. However, I had heard that the dean was thinking of changing this and having students buy their own white coat... Not sure how true this is.

Just to update you, yes it is true. The incoming first years have to buy their own white coat to use for the first 2 years. Then, upon completion of the 2 preclinical years, they will have their white coat ceremony and be awarded their white coat.

Thank you very much for all of your answers everybody!
I was wondering bc KYCOM has a package they provide their students and I was unfamiliar with whether or not LMU had a similar one...

I actually got my rejection e-mail pre-interview on Fri ( I was really surprised to be honest!) Just wondering if anyone has gotten II's recently!

$47,700 and they won't even throw in a free white coat.

As I understand it, we buy one now, and then they'll give us a second one for free between years 2 and 3.

This is correct. Then if you want to get technical, the Tennessee Osteopathic Medical Association are the ones who actually pay for the jackets.

So, i've been on the alternate list since October. In January I sent an update email with spring 2016 classes i'm taking now (micro w/ lab and ethics) along with updated transcripts to reflect courses in progress and a letter of intent. In addition i've applied to the SMP biological sciences in February and haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know when the waitlist will get going? i read on here they are about 130 on the list and have about 110 seats (forgot who said that) I've been assuming it will be after May 15, when MD applicants can only hold one acceptance resulting in a ripple effect.

I'm sending another update with midterm grades (unofficial grade reports from the professors, unless someone has a better idea)
Does anyone sort of know more concretely than this? I'm starting to go a bit bonkers waiting for news from here, because i loved it so much...

So, i've been on the alternate list since October. In January I sent an update email with spring 2016 classes i'm taking now (micro w/ lab and ethics) along with updated transcripts to reflect courses in progress and a letter of intent. In addition i've applied to the SMP biological sciences in February and haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know when the waitlist will get going? i read on here they are about 130 on the list and have about 110 seats (forgot who said that) I've been assuming it will be after May 15, when MD applicants can only hold one acceptance resulting in a ripple effect.

I'm sending another update with midterm grades (unofficial grade reports from the professors, unless someone has a better idea)
Does anyone sort of know more concretely than this? I'm starting to go a bit bonkers waiting for news from here, because i loved it so much...

My understanding is that the wait-list doesn't usually start movement until after all of the interview dates are complete, which I believe is usually the last week of April (not sure of the exact date). Once all the interviews are complete, admissions assesses how many spots they haven't filled by offering people a seat and/or other people declining their seats, and then starts offering seats from the wait-list. So as crappy as waiting is, I think May is usually the soonest you'll hear anything.

Called the admissions office today and was offered an April 8th interview. I was told that was the only interview date left. Thanks to those who said to call, and good luck to anybody left in the pool.

Called the admissions office today and was offered an April 8th interview. I was told that was the only interview date left. Thanks to those who said to call, and good luck to anybody left in the pool.
What the admission number?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a class of 2020 FB group up yet?

Last edited:
Anyone get an acceptance call yet today who interviewed last week on 03/11?

Still waiting myself. Anyone get a call who interviewed last week?

I got the call last Sunday (the 13th?) afternoon after interviewing 3/4, but I hear it really depends on the dean's schedule.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I got my acceptance call from the Dean this afternoon! Soooo excited! Hope everyone else here still waiting gets good news too :)

Hey all, I am looking forward to attending DCOM this summer! Congrats to everyone accepted, I am looking forward to meeting my future classmates. I have some questions for current students if you go through this forum. I know that everyone studies and spends their time differently but, for the average student how likely is it for them to participate in school clubs? How are the research opportunities at LMU and is there any collaboration with University of Tennessee? Are many of you able to get elective rotations you want? Sorry for the loaded question. I am really excited about starting up and going really rural haha. Thanks for the help.

Mind sharing stats or pm'ing them to me? Curious as ro where i fall... I am also oos
My stats cGPA 3.48 sGPA 3.43 (very strong upwards trend), and MCAT 26. But I also have had a lot of volunteer experience both medical and non medical which I think helps you out with topics during the interview. Best of luck to you, have any questions ask away!

cGPA 3.29, sGPA 3.39 (post bacc), MCAT 504.
I've been working in the emergency services for several years in an underserved area, so I have lots of clinical time. No research though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I know LMU is getting a new dean this fall. Any word on what changes will be happening?

I know LMU is getting a new dean this fall. Any word on what changes will be happening?

The new dean is already here. He seems like a nice guy with a lot of prior experience. So far, the only real change is the the moving of the white coat ceremony to 2nd year. I will say a word of caution that there are quite a bit of rumors going on. So if it sounds strange - it's probably a rumor.

The new dean is already here. He seems like a nice guy with a lot of prior experience. So far, the only real change is the the moving of the white coat ceremony to 2nd year. I will say a word of caution that there are quite a bit of rumors going on. So if it sounds strange - it's probably a rumor.
Understood, thanks!

And can anyone speak to the quality of the LMU apartments for med students? Are they nice?

Why did the white coat ceremony get moved?