Live at home vs. moving out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magnolia423

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am still deciding between a couple of schools, and one is right down the road from my house. I really feel like I would be better off not living with my family during medical school and having some more independence, but it would of course save a ton of money on rent and food if I did stay at home. Is it silly to rent an apartment a few minutes from my house just to not be at home? Appreciate any insights.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone - I am still deciding between a couple of schools, and one is right down the road from my house. I really feel like I would be better off not living with my family during medical school and having some more independence, but it would of course save a ton of money on rent and food if I did stay at home. Is it silly to rent an apartment a few minutes from my house just to not be at home? Appreciate any insights.

Stay at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it silly to rent an apartment a few minutes from my house just to not be at home?

No.

It depends completely on your relationship with your family, desire for independence, financial situation, etc. etc. I don't think this is one SDN can help you with @Magnolia423 , you have to figure out what your priorities are. Talk to friends and family, not psychopaths on the the internet.

Reactions: 13 users
No.

It depends completely on your relationship with your family, desire for independence, financial situation, etc. etc. I don't think this is one SDN can help you with @Magnolia423 , you have to figure out what your priorities are. Talk to friends and family, not psychopaths on the the internet.
LOL thank you, I know I just wanted to hear some opinions. I have a great relationship with my family, I just can't imagine coming home to mom- "Hi honey, how was med school today?" or worrying about coming home for dinner. NO work will get done in my house, too noisy and too many distractions. Plus, I really want to make good friends in med school and feel living with people is def a good way to go about that. Also, home cooked meals happen to not be that much of a draw for me, but my mom tries :)

Reactions: 2 users
It's up to you at the end of the day obviously, but if you do end up going to the one down the street from your house I would just stay at home. That's a ton of money per month that you are saving, which makes a big difference. Also, if possible I'd just be upfront with your parents not to expect you to be at home all the time, you can choose how much you want to stay at school or with classmates and stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you go away to College? If so, Realistically do you see yourself moving home full time? You said you wouldn’t get anything done at home because of noise and distractions. That’s not a good thing. You’ll be spending much time at school
studying. I say move . You can still visit(and eat) often but you’ll have privacy and a place to study.

Did you go away to College? If so, Realistically do you see yourself moving home full time? You said you wouldn’t get anything done at home because of noise and distractions. That’s not a good thing. You’ll be spending much time at school
studying. I say move . You can still visit(and eat) often but you’ll have privacy and a place to study.
I did go away to college, and really feel like I thrived being on my own. I know I could just do all my work at the school, but I will definitely have to if I choose this one.

If I was in your situation I'd move. I love my family but there's a lot of them lol and like you said too many distractions. I'd probably rent somewhere close and go home a lot but at least have my own place to study/sleep. I can't imagine trying to study with my younger siblings running around all day.

Reactions: 2 users
I did go away to college, and really feel like I thrived being on my own. I know I could just do all my work at the school, but I will definitely have to if I choose this one.

Well I suppose you can try it for a semester and see what happens. But at the first sign of course difficulty etc start making plans to move. You also want to have friends who will support you and understand what you are going through. Your family will be supportive but they won’t understand the amount of studying you’ll have to do to be successful. Good luck. Tough choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the replies. It's a tough choice, and if it comes down to it I guess I'll just have to try one way and see how it goes.

It all boils down to what kind of relationship you have with your family and the kind of home life that exists.

If you think you will come home every day to "drama" like younger siblings making noise, fights, etc and your parents being very annoying and burdensome when you should be studying intensely every night, then I would highly advise getting your own apartment. You WILL definitely need your sanity and a quiet sanctuary to focus on your studying, and a noisy house is the antithesis to that. The good thing is that even if you have your own apt. you will be just a few minutes away from some home-cooking and de-stressing with a quick visit to the family home whenever you feel you need that. That could be a real advantage compared to people who are very far from home and can't get that kind of family support, and then get depressed by feeling very isolated.

On the other hand, if you are a single child and your parents are very bookish and quiet themselves, such as college professors or doctors, then you may as well live at home and enjoy the perks of free food and room and saving many thousands of dollars! If your parents are doctors or lawyers or professors, they will fully understand the importance of giving you peace and quiet for the daily grind of cramming and studying your ass off. And who cares if you are 25 and your Mom is still cooking meals for you and doing your laundry -- enjoy the perks while they last !!

Reactions: 1 users
Stay at home during the summer to see if you can bare it for a semester, and if so, give it a shot. Worst case? You move out and get an apt. down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)

What kind of family do you have?? Do you have one that will respect that you’ll need to study a lot and you won’t be available for most of their activities or demands? Would they have silly rules for you?

Have you already lived away from home for undergrad? If not, maybe living away for one year will help establish to your family a new routine and then you could live at home for the following 3 years.

Those that live at home while in med school often enjoy the fact that there’s food in the house, and maybe even their laundry gets done. But if you have family that will treat you like you’re 12 and expect you to be at the dinner table every night and expect you to do a list of daily chores, then living elsewhere may be needed.

Saving 15k+ per year for housing related expenses is 60k+ less debt you’ll have.

Reactions: 3 users
What kind of family do you have?? Do you have one that will respect that you’ll need to study a lot and you won’t be available for most of their activities or demands? Would they have silly rules for you?

Have you already lived away from home for undergrad? If not, maybe living away for one year will help establish to your family a new routine and then you could live at home for the following 3 years.

Those that live at home while in med school often enjoy the fact that there’s food in the house, and maybe even their laundry gets done. But if you have family that will treat you like you’re 12 and expect you to be at the dinner table every night and expect you to do a list of daily chores, then living elsewhere may be needed.

Saving 15k+ per year for housing related expenses is 60k+ less debt you’ll have.
What happens if they insist

Living at home during MS3 and MS4 is a lot more viable than the first two years. I lived in my parents house during the clinical years and was able to enjoy home cooking and free rent, but at the same time my parents respected my need for sleep and quiet and enjoying my free time when I had it. I was fortunate, some parents would treat their med student son or daughter like they were 12 and make them do silly chores when they got home from a long day at the hospital or doc office. You need to have sympathetic parents to tolerate living at home.

Depends on how your situation is with your family. But coming from someone who just moved out in January for no reason other than to not be living at home anymore, DONT MOVE OUT. You'll save so much money, which means you'll be in less debt coming out of school. I went from being able to save about 2000 a month, to barely being able to pay rent and bills and such, and all my savings are gone. However, my relationship has gotten a lot better with my family, and I will be moving back in when my lease is up next year.

If they keep a clean house and have a nice entertainment room setup I would say go for it. If you would be embarrassed to bring friends or a girl over to netflix or study spontaneously I would avoid it.

So I lived at home during UG, and am planning on living at home for med school, since I am attending my UG institution.
It really does depend. My family is really chill about making sure I get my work done, and I'm just super super close to them, so living at home was the obvious choice for me. Sometimes my family can be a bit much, but they're so supportive that in the end, I'm glad that I've lived at home these past four years and am looking forward to living here for another four.
(Plus, my mom's cooking is :thumbup:)

Thanks again everyone! I am actually on a gap year rn living at home, so I kind of have a feel for it. My family is supportive, but they just don't really understand what med school really takes. Still open to any opinions, and I will update when I make the decision.

What happens if they insist

You’re an adult. You can also “insist” that your med school years are very important and you need to be where you can be the most successful.

That said, if your family won’t interfere with your studies, etc, then live at home.

NO work will get done in my house, too noisy and too many distractions.
You just answered your own question. I also lived in the same city as my parents during med school, but lived in an apartment. Granted, I had a stipend as an MD/PhD student, but you can still justify spending loan money if it means you save your sanity and perform better. As you mentioned, you could share a place with classmates to save some money that way too.