LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they send you an email to let you know when they've received your supp. app? I sent mine in about a month ago and no word from them since.
The first email they sent hit a lot of junk mail folders. Maybe you should check just to be sure.

Members don't see this ad.

On that note, I called today and apparently they were missing my MCAT scores. I don't know how this is possible since they downloaded my AACOMAS primary to send me the secondary but apparently they did miss them and now my file is complete and ready for review next week when that process begins.

Did they really give you guys a speed reading course? Was it mandatory? I have always found speed reading to be more of a hindrance than a help.

They did indeed. The guy was actually really good. It is a bit of a hindrance in technical reading in my opinion, but I dit benefit from the experience. I used to read SO slow and try to absorb every detail- now I don't. He also touched on a lot of study techniques that are very helpful.

They did, and since it was part of orientation it was mandatory. It wasn't too bad. Some of the stuff I found helpful, some not so much. It is what it is.

It was what it was indeed lol. I have to admit, it certainly wasn't something that motivated me to be at school by 8am, that's for sure. Oh well, it's over and now the fun has really started! Hahahaha.

Just for anyone who is interested, I have started a live journal to document my experience during school. It will be mostly school related, as that rules my life as of now, but I will slip in other inspiring material of course :) Just go here: http://grace-euphoria.livejournal.com/ and you can keep up with what it's like to be an LMU-DCOM student. I am hoping to get the school to join me in this effort and link up the journal to the website, along with one student from all 4 classes (yes we have a full school now!! accreditation in the spring baby!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link to your blog! I will be reading for sure. I am in the same position you were last year and am ready to get myself back out there. I know LMU-DCOM is where I want to go to med school :) Good luck to everyone applying...hopefully this second year of applying will be my year just like it was for you grace euphoria

Grace euphoria, I saw in another thread that you lived really close to the school. Are you in the student housing? Can you give us a little info about it? Thanks :D

Thanks for the link to your blog! I will be reading for sure. I am in the same position you were last year and am ready to get myself back out there. I know LMU-DCOM is where I want to go to med school :) Good luck to everyone applying...hopefully this second year of applying will be my year just like it was for you grace euphoria

If you know you want DCOM, do NOT give up! They will take notice! I will get back to your PM in the next few days...I just want to be able to put some time into it.

Grace euphoria, I saw in another thread that you lived really close to the school. Are you in the student housing? Can you give us a little info about it? Thanks :D
I do live really close to school, but I am not living in the student housing. I am actually closer. I rent a house from a 4th year student, living with my boyfriend a second year student. I recommend going this route, but everyone is different. The student housing is really small. And I mean REALLY small. It's an old hotel room turned into an efficiency apartment. Here are the times I do recommend the student housing...

I DO recommend it if...
-you are very social and want to be able to meet friends with slightly less effort
-you want the perks like the pool, volleyball courts, study rooms and gym
-you don't have a lot of stuff you want to bring with you
-you don't need a separation of space in your living quarters
-you aren't very good with bills and all that...your cost is a flat fee that includes everything and you just pay that each month instead of separate bills
-you're interested in car pooling (lots of people do it this year already)

So those are all pros, but for me it just wasn't a feasible or desirable option. I had my boyfriend to take into account and I just needed more space after having furnished an entire apartment myself prior to this. However, on the bright side, I do notice a serious sense of camaraderie between the apartment kids as I call them. A lot of them had immediate bonds with each other before class even started. If you liked dorms and have no reason not to have space, it's a good deal, at least for the first year.

Does anyone else planning to apply have a family or sig other? As I've been reading about the area, I've become more worried about how rural the school is and that my husband wouldn't be able to find a job. It's making me reconsider applying.

My husband is applying and I'm excited, but I work out of my home (making wedding and special occasion cakes) so that is a little easier, though my customer base will shrink significantly... So I guess it depends on what he does...

just so you guys know, it was this week last year, that interviews started going out.

so who knows some of us might just get a call tomorrow (today, I guess)

good luck

My husband is applying and I'm excited, but I work out of my home (making wedding and special occasion cakes) so that is a little easier, though my customer base will shrink significantly... So I guess it depends on what he does...

Not sure where you live now, but Knoxville is only 45 minutes from Harrogate so you should still have clientel even if you have to start building your rep from scratch.

anyone know how strict they are about DO letters??

i have not sent in a DO letter but I have sent in an MD letter...has anyone still gotten an interview this way..idk why my DO is taking a while

Just got a call and scheduled my interview at LMUDCOM! :D I can't wait! First available date is on October 4th. The only do interviews on Monday and Tuesday!

Anyone else interviewing on this day?

Just got a call and scheduled my interview at LMUDCOM! :D I can't wait! First available date is on October 4th. The only do interviews on Monday and Tuesday!

Anyone else interviewing on this day?

YEEEAAHHH!! Just got the call too! I will be there October 4th as well! I'm very excited because LMU-DCOM is probably my top choice and it's my first interview invite! Aaah Can't wait!

haha I guess you can tell that I'm pretty happy at the moment :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the complete email on 7/19. Pretty sure today was the first day they started calling people. Give it some time, I'm sure y'all will get an invite soon.

I got the complete email on 7/19. Pretty sure today was the first day they started calling people. Give it some time, I'm sure y'all will get an invite soon.

Yeah got mine on 7/22 so hopefully soon! :banana: I hear nothing but good things about the campus

got the complete e-mail 7/19

no interview invite for me :(

AACOMAS was submitted June 1st, verified and sent out to the schools June 6th. I did the secondary on July 2nd. My LORs were kind of late though, those were not sent out until July 20th. So I have been complete for almost a month. But this is the first day they have started calling, so not sure if they are going in any type of real order...

Congrats to those of you who just got their first interviews! Feels awesome doesn't it!

I'm glad I will get to meet some of you! We should get together, and there's some type of pizza party the night before, right? That would be fun!

Got the call today too, oct 4th............ It made my day today...

I was invited for an interview but I'm hesitant to call before I know the days. Anyone know which days of the week they tend to interview?

AACOMAS was submitted June 1st, verified and sent out to the schools June 6th. I did the secondary on July 2nd. My LORs were kind of late though, those were not sent out until July 20th. So I have been complete for almost a month. But this is the first day they have started calling, so not sure if they are going in any type of real order...

Congrats to those of you who just got their first interviews! Feels awesome doesn't it!

I'm glad I will get to meet some of you! We should get together, and there's some type of pizza party the night before, right? That would be fun!

It does feel awesome! And yes I am looking forward to meeting everyone as well. I'm planning on going to the pizza thing the night before, but it all depends on what time I can get a flight in. I know it's pretty far in advanced, but are y'all going to stay at the holiday inn they suggested in the email?

I really can't wait!

What times are you guys getting your phone calls for the interviews? Just trying to figure out if they are calling people in the mornings or afternoons...maybe it'll calm my nerves :)

What times are you guys getting your phone calls for the interviews? Just trying to figure out if they are calling people in the mornings or afternoons...maybe it'll calm my nerves :)

My call came at 2:45ish (central) in the afternoon (Actually I'm in Italy right now so it was like 9:45ish at night lol. I'll gladly pay the international rate for that call)

Good luck! :luck:

Interview invite for me too. Anyone know what the interview/acceptance rate is?

Just got the amazing phone call, I took the second day of interviews (Oct 5) see you guys there :D

Congrats! I'm not completely sure but I swear I read somewhere that it was around 60% acceptance. I think it was something like 500 people interviewed and 300 accepted. Not too shabby...

Just got the amazing phone call, I took the second day of interviews (Oct 5) see you guys there :D

Congrats! :thumbup: Hopefully we can give you some feedback on how the interviews go on the 4th!

They called me the other day for an interview but I didn't get back to them yet (as they are only there when I'm at work). So today, they called my cell phone again then called my office. Lol. Luckily, I'm the one that answers the phones. :p

Mondays work out a lot better for me, and Oct 4 was already booked up, so I scheduled my interview for Oct 11. :D

this cycle is just not going my way...

Don't worry just yet - it is still so early. It seems as though they are only calling a handful each day. When they called me today they still had Tue the 5th open, which is only the 2nd day of interviews, so they can't be very far down their list yet.

:luck::xf:

Guh! It's bugging me that I have not been called yet. This school is probably my number 1 choice.

Guh! It's bugging me that I have not been called yet. This school is probably my number 1 choice.
The process has only just begun! Don't lose heart. If you go a good while being complete and not hearing from them, get in contact with the adcom and make sure there's nothing holding up your app. Even if you think everything's squared away, there are sometimes weird accidents that prevent your application from moving forward.

As for everyone asking about what time of day interview calls go out- they are unpredictable! Obviously they will mostly be during business hours 8-5 or whatever it is, but when it comes to acceptance calls, Dean Stowers has been known to call after hours if I remember correctly.

The key to this process is being both proactive and patient. If a school wants you, they will let you know. Now of course it doesn't hurt to contact them and get your name in there, but you can only do so much. Just keep them updated on your recent activities/grades and make sure they have everything they need from you.

Congrats on all the new interviews and good luck to all those waiting!! DCOM is amazing and I hope you'll agree when you come see it :)

We determined in last year's thread that if you've gotten an interview invite the odds are strongly in your favor for acceptance. I don't know the exact figures but, as stated above, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 60% and potentially higher.

To all: I'd review that thread in complete detail if you want some good feedback/advice from last year's applicants (successful and not) as well as OMS-II/III/IV's.

just called in for an update.. since i was just starting to get worried about not hearing anything from them.. got put on hold then connected to an admissions counselor.. who just asked me if i was interested in an interview invite!#!@$!!!! I totally freaked out on the phone haha. booked for oct 11th! dont lose hope everyone, she said they ve just been a bit busy over the past couple days.
:):):):):)

just called in for an update.. since i was just starting to get worried about not hearing anything from them.. got put on hold then connected to an admissions counselor.. who just asked me if i was interested in an interview invite!#!@$!!!! I totally freaked out on the phone haha. booked for oct 11th! dont lose hope everyone, she said they ve just been a bit busy over the past couple days.
:):):):):)
Wish you wouldn't have said that. Now I am going to have to resist calling for some made up reason.

Wish you wouldn't have said that. Now I am going to have to resist calling for some made up reason.

ha sorry :oops:.. it was just getting to that point, where i really wanted to know what happened with my application. good luck, hopefully you ll hear from them soon!! u could just call to see what the weather was like in TN :rolleyes:

Grats!
Did they call you or did you go ahead and get a hold of them...the waiting is excruciating.

I went ahead and called to make sure I was verified and was told that are reviewing my app. Apparently I was completed on july 22.

I was also complete on 7/22 so I bet they're looking at you right now - good luck!!

those of you who have already gotten interviews, could you please let me know what your mcat and gpa are? thanks:)