Low uGPA advice on next steps.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldoc312

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an african american senior Biology Major that is graduating within the next 3 weeks with a bachelors degree. My cumulative gpa unfortunately will be around a 2.6 or 2.7. I know that my stats are extremely low. I graduated high school with 3.78 gpa, and was accepted into 18 schools. Due to a rough home environment I was not able to consider any option besides a local public university.

My undergrad experience has not been the easiest. I've dealt with various forms of physical and mental abuse from my father all of my life. This unfortunately has reflected on my transcript. Choosing another career path is not an option for me. This has and always will be dream.

I have completed most of my premed requirements, so a career changer post bacc is not an option for me. I have yet to take Organic Chem II as well as Gen Physics I and II. While I do have three years of research experience, I did not not attain any shadowing or volunteering hours.

A week after graduation I will be starting a position as a research technician in a lab at an out of state public university. I am confused to what exactly my next steps should be. What exactly are my options? I know that it won't be easy by any means but I am determined. Are there any academic record post bacc programs that I could apply to with my gpa (ideally with linkage to increase my chances)? I am not considering Caribbean schools, and I am open to ultimately attending a DO or MD institution.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about your home life (I can relate to living in an abusive environment). In any event, you will have to get your GPA to at least a 3.0 to mitigate being screened out. One post-baccalaureate that immediately comes to mind is Southern Illinois University. I know several people that are in medical school after completing their program. Which state do you live in?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear about your home life (I can relate to living in an abusive environment). In any event, you will have to get your GPA to at least a 3.0 to mitigate being screened out. One post-baccalaureate that immediately comes to mind is Southern Illinois University. I know several people that are in medical school after completing their program. Which state do you live in?
Thank you for the advice and the reply. I will definitely look into SIU's program.

Last edited:
You absolutely have to do shadowing and volunteering. I would start this summer. Medical schools want you to be positive that this is what you want to do. I know you say that this is definitely the career you want but with no patient experience you can't be 100%, and you have to be. I read somewhere that like 30% of physicians are unhappy with their career choice because they didn't get enough experience before med school. But again that's just something I read so it might not be quite accurate. But definitely get shadowing and volunteering. It's fun and rewarding. :)