Many problems at Western University of Health Sciences Osteopathic COMP Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But they don't react to medication and yoy can't do surgeries on them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Physicians, in general, don't administer many medications (we write orders, nurses do the psychomotor skills), and most of those don't have any immediate effect anyways. As a medical student until your sub-Is 4th year, the closest you'll get to writing an order is scribing one for your attending, resident or intern.You also, as mentioned, can't do surgeries on manikins either.

No one is going to expect the MSIII to run a code, rapid response team, or trauma activation.

Members don't see this ad.

But it's not just about what you can learn from them. Its also nice to know that the school cares enough about their do students thay they are willing to invest in the latest equipment and technology. I rather see more of those gadgets for do students than for dental or opt students which is what I saw at certain schools

I'm not trying to defend Western (or anyone else that doesn't have a simulation lab) but you are being way too naive. There isn't a direct correlation between how much a school "cares" about its students and what sort of technology it has available. The gadgetry is just a marketing tool. It's effect on you is obvious.

What is more important about the school is how it goes about teaching you the clinical decision making skills that actually make you a doctor. The sciences aren't the hard part - it's learning how to manage patients as part of a larger whole. I think the quality of rotation sites ought to be more important than the quality of the simulation lab. Ask what the percentages are between ward and clinic based rotations for the various tracks or how often you'll have to drive >30min to get to different rotation sites from one month to the next. The bells and whistles on the campus are just distractors from what the school may or may not be providing to you as a 3rd and 4th year student.

Besides, have you even been accepted anywhere yet? Focus on dominating your interviews, then sort between the lucky winners as to where you want to go.

I'm not trying to defend Western (or anyone else that doesn't have a simulation lab) but you are being way too naive. There isn't a direct correlation between how much a school "cares" about its students and what sort of technology it has available. The gadgetry is just a marketing tool. It's effect on you is obvious.

What is more important about the school is how it goes about teaching you the clinical decision making skills that actually make you a doctor. The sciences aren't the hard part - it's learning how to manage patients as part of a larger whole. I think the quality of rotation sites ought to be more important than the quality of the simulation lab. Ask what the percentages are between ward and clinic based rotations for the various tracks or how often you'll have to drive >30min to get to different rotation sites from one month to the next. The bells and whistles on the campus are just distractors from what the school may or may not be providing to you as a 3rd and 4th year student.

Besides, have you even been accepted anywhere yet? Focus on dominating your interviews, then sort between the lucky winners as to where you want to go.

Yes. I have multiple acceptances so fat and just trying my best to find the perfect one. Yes I already know as much as I cam as a premed about rotation sites. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: A student at WesternU had their CAR STOLEN from the apartment complex next to school (@Helix where they live)
Sorry to whoever it was.... Wish I could help.....

Additions to my previous comments:
Yes, there are some great ISAC students!!!!
Some teachers are excellent- get to know them if you can!
Yes, there are a lot of happy students here. Please read the many responses defending this school..... The facebook page was full of them too. Open mic was great tonight, thanks to those that helped out. I look forward to the next one

Many of you responded to this post and were soooooo helpful and willing to help out a stranger in need. Sorry I couldn't get back to everyone that offered help. Keep helping each other out. Some of us really need it.... Things are going a little better now thanks... Class of 2016, WE ARE AWESOME

Lets make this school a better place. Keep hammering these major issues with the administration. They can't ignore us forever. Hopefully this post pissed off enough people to make some major changes at our school. WesternU has potential to be make great improvements and help out its students more.... Lets get er done y'all......

There are lots of other awesome Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Schools out there. Find out if one is right for you and if Osteopathic Medicine is what you really want to do. Find out all the disadvantages and advantages of each school and career path. Take what each school tells you with a grain of salt. They are presenting biased information. Ask students if they really like it there instead of just using the tourguides that present biased info as well. Ask around....

There are many other awesome medical fields out there too....... Check them out!!!

In the end, do your own research before making the huge decision of what school to attend. SDN is full of rumors- many are false (What I presented could be accurate for a WesternU student) Some students did finally end up getting tutors although 6/10ths through a course is way too long to wait to assign help to those in need. Figure it out LEAD. It's unfortunate that many second year students are busy with their own classes and board studies (by the way, you OMS-2's rock!!!! Keep in touch with your COMPANIONS. Maybe I could be one of yours that could use a little help, check in with me whoever you are!!!!
Other schools:::::: watch out for us confused, sleep deprived first years and help us through this first year crap!!!!!

You can read about the many similar problems at other DO schools in the following posts and other threads. This is a laundry list of many of WesternU's. I wanted to let everyone know of these problems I have had/put together from classmates having. Yes, these are many of ours but not all (how about supporting Apple products too?? grrrrrrrrr......) Every school has its own advantages and disadvantages!!!!!

FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF IF WESTERNU.EDU IS THE RIGHT SCHOOL FOR YOU.

PS: Check out this satirical post about our President's letter explaining the gun shots in two of our windows hahahaaa.............. Funny thing is that many of them are true. Lets make some changes with security folks...

I am a female DO student at Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, CA class 2016. I would like perspective students to be aware of numerous problems that the school won't be upfront about. You need to be aware of these before you make a decision to attend.

About the classes:
· We are largely on our own for learning here (lack of access to teachers, limited tutors, disorganized labs, confusing lectures, and overall disordered resources). They tell us to find a study group with other students (which doesn’t help all that much because they are trying to learn the material as well).
· We hardly have access to the professors. We are told to ask questions online but quite a few don’t get answered. Most teachers do not have office hours but some are willing to meet if they are around their office or maybe with an appointment.
· Some of our classes are televised from our satellite campus in Lebanon, Oregon (presumably to cut the school’s costs). One teacher we had was bad. They sent us study guides that had incorrect information and misspellings (such as mixing up sympathetic and parasympathetic- kind of a BIG difference!). Many students downloaded other teacher’s lectures about the same topics because it was so bad. It was frustrating to figure out what we needed to know about this topic.
· Many students spend more time trying to figure out what we need to know and deciding the most efficient way to learn it than actually learning the material itself. The disorganized material is time consuming to sort through.
· Much of what we learn in anatomy lab is from first year students that took an intensive summer anatomy course where they had to get 80% or higher in the course to instruct us. By the time they are our instructors, much of this info has been forgotten or not concrete.
· For anatomy lab, the instructors assign complicated directions such as assigning certain pages out of a book and giving us a supplemental handout with what we should do instead and what they don’t want us to do. Many students watch videos form other medical schools to try to figure out what is going on. There have been students that have asked about recording our own instructors demonstrating what they want us to do for lab and what structures they want us to know but the administration is NOT willing to do this. Extremely frustrating and a waste of time for many.
· We DO NOT have enough teacher assistants or tutors. Many students who are failing anatomy asked for a tutor right away and still have not been given one or assigned to a group even after 5 weeks of the 10 week anatomy course. Even students with a documented disabilities have not had access to tutors they were told they could have before school started. A lack of tutors and instructors has been a known problem in the past with this school and we can only hope this changes. In the meantime, we make friends with smart friends or pay for tutors (like 50K a year isn’t enough!).
· The school didn’t want to assign tutors until after the first anatomy exam (after 2 weeks of the 10 week block). This put those who knew they needed help at a huge disadvantage. This brings up the whole ethical question of allowing access to important information only if you do poorly enough on an exam.
· Many students took anatomy courses in undergrad or other graduate school and are at a huge advantage in this course. In the end, anatomy gets curved at ~66% is passing in order to only make 8 or so students fail anatomy out of a class of 220 (they have to retake it the next summer).
· There are many students that pay other students for anatomy tutoring because of the lack of resources the school provides.
· The school enjoys letting you sort through all their information to find the useful things (instead of providing direction). For example, an instructor in Oregon uploaded videos of dissections that would have helped us in Pomona but the did not inform us of this information until half way through anatomy (they sent out an email after 4 weeks but they screwed up sending it to the class in Pomona of 2016).
· Some teachers don’t bother uploading their powerpoint presentation until AFTER they are done lecturing which makes taking notes on them much more difficult.
· Some classes are a waste of time. We have been told to watch prerecorded lectures then in class they go over almost all of that information anyways in the next class. Unfortunately in this class, we are not able to have electronics out where we could study for other classes.
· The exams we take have been very poorly written thus far. We have numerous grammar problems and confusing questions. How about you have someone proof read your poorly written exam???
· Some teachers are really bad about answering emails (even really important ones).
· The DO classes communicate on our facebook page where we can try to figure out what we are suppose to do for classes and better resources to learn from.
· There are many students that realize that much of what we go over in classes is not that important to doing well on the boards (board exam scores are MUCH IMPORTANT THAN GRADES in classes). Therefore, just pass all of your classes and spend the rest of your time studying for the board exams!!! No joke!
· There is not much research that is performed on campus. They do not get much (if any) government grants to fund research.
· We still do not have a locker room to change clothes for cadaver lab or a shower on campus to use after.
· We do not have a workout facility on campus, they supplement our cost to be a member at a local gym.

About the institution:
· Crime on and near campus is big problem. Pomona has a 13.2% unemployment rate and a high crime rate.
· Being a female on this campus can especially be scary at times. We find locals passing through campus picking through our garbage for recyclables. Who knows what happens at night! Not all that many people stay around after dark.
· Honestly, we had two bullets that big windows in the HEC on 9/23 around 10 pm at night. We are in arguments with the administration because they are not doing enough to protect their students.
· The buildings do not have swipe passes on them (so anyone can walk into our buildings and steal stuff).
· We do not have an emergency text message system set up in case the school is in a lock down (we get sent a email if they bother sending it out (we didn’t get an email from the school about the windows being shot until ~10 hours later).
· A few weeks ago, one student’s father got held up at gun point in a parking lot next to campus (again no immediate email from the school because it was “just off campus.” It was sent the next day).
· Parking on campus is $480 a year because the school leases the lots from the city. Cars in these lots are broken into on a regular basis.
· Tuition is $47,555 a year with an annual indebtedness of $203,430. This is the 5th highest graduation debt of ALL MEDICAL SCHOOLS

I am not writing this to scare anyone away from Western U but I believe that everyone should be aware of these problems in order to help you make an educated decision if WesternU is the right school for you.

Please feel free to clarify these topics during your interviews on campus or directly email the administration on the Pomona Campus

Hey there,

I'm a female second year COMP student, and I just wanted you to know, it gets better. I don't mean the school gets better, you just learn that you can endure anything. I just wanted to let you know, you took the words out of my mouth re: the school.

Many of us second years faced the same problems in anatomy and feel the same way about the school, the administration, the tuition, etc. The only thing is, we don't want to get tattled on to the administration by those in student government, who have certain biases. I understand your need to recant your earlier, non-PC statement, but know that your feelings are valid and shared by many people in your class, our class, the third years... we just don't want to get singled out or punished for speaking our minds. As a previous poster said, people in medicine aren't supposed to air dirty laundry, we should just keep mouths shut.

COMP has many, many problems, which have been mentioned by previous posters, such as insane tuition, diminishing number of rotation sites since UCR is opening up and a Carribbean school bought out some slots, a bad neighborhood.... I could go on.

As a disclaimer, I'm sure many MD and DO schools have problems, we're not the only ones, do your research, I'm just one person...yada yada.

Like many Socal kids, I opted to stay in Socal, thinking that all DO schools were probably similar... I regret it now. Would I go to WesternU again, knowing what I know now? No.

Unfortunately, the problems continue on into second year. The professors are still pretty mediocre. The Lebanon campus will still be there. But my friends and I are all just keeping our heads down, enduring the cluster**** until we can get out. And that's what you'll do, too! Just stick in there and remember that it'll all be over in 4 hopefully short years, and then you can go anywhere as a doctor. You will get through this, and it will get better. I think. It's still pretty early in second year, plenty of time for more sh** to go down.

Please PM me if you need any advice, and remember, don't ever let anyone invalidate how you feel. But keep your head down, get your degree, and get out.

Best wishes,

An anonymous OMSII

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there,

I'm a female second year COMP student, and I just wanted you to know, it gets better. I don't mean the school gets better, you just learn that you can endure anything. I just wanted to let you know, you took the words out of my mouth re: the school.

Many of us second years faced the same problems in anatomy and feel the same way about the school, the administration, the tuition, etc. The only thing is, we don't want to get tattled on to the administration by those in student government, who have certain biases. I understand your need to recant your earlier, non-PC statement, but know that your feelings are valid and shared by many people in your class, our class, the third years... we just don't want to get singled out or punished for speaking our minds. As a previous poster said, people in medicine aren't supposed to air dirty laundry, we should just keep mouths shut.

COMP has many, many problems, which have been mentioned by previous posters, such as insane tuition, diminishing number of rotation sites since UCR is opening up and a Carribbean school bought out some slots, a bad neighborhood.... I could go on.

As a disclaimer, I'm sure many MD and DO schools have problems, we're not the only ones, do your research, I'm just one person...yada yada.

Like many Socal kids, I opted to stay in Socal, thinking that all DO schools were probably similar... I regret it now. Would I go to WesternU again, knowing what I know now? No.

Unfortunately, the problems continue on into second year. The professors are still pretty mediocre. The Lebanon campus will still be there. But my friends and I are all just keeping our heads down, enduring the cluster**** until we can get out. And that's what you'll do, too! Just stick in there and remember that it'll all be over in 4 hopefully short years, and then you can go anywhere as a doctor. You will get through this, and it will get better. I think. It's still pretty early in second year, plenty of time for more sh** to go down.

Please PM me if you need any advice, and remember, don't ever let anyone invalidate how you feel. But keep your head down, get your degree, and get out.

Best wishes,

An anonymous OMSII

:thumbup: sooooo many sad but true points!

Western U COM students:

why you no live in Claremont? San Dimas?

Have a family member who has a large surgery center... So s/he wants me to join in the family biz. So just trying to keep my option open

It is highly unusual for someone to not know the gender of their own family member.....

Hey there,

Best wishes,

An anonymous OMSII

This makes me very very sad

Members don't see this ad :)
Have things gotten any better for anyone here? I heard there may be a lawsuit or something?

you're the only one who seems to have an issue with the school, you made a whole account just to bash it..

Have things gotten any better for anyone here? I heard there may be a lawsuit or something?

ROFL. By who and over what? Sure, there are problems, but nothing bad enough to commit professional suicide over.

just attended Western U preview day, talked to a few DO student ambassadors, a few administration people, etc. and did a campus tour and everything.

the curriculum seemed intense time-wise, 8-5. OMM took up a lot of studying time, but they have a very nice OMM place with a ton of tables. the rotation choosing seems pretty neat. you rank places and get matched, and can trade with people, too. not sure how this is done at other schools, but it seems pretty good. they emphasized primary care as part of the DO philosophy, but students had a range of interests like gas/FM/PM&R.

really nice new building with awesome lectures halls and huge screens and small group study rooms, students seemed llike people werent out against each other and mentioned they do form study groups and succeed that way, and the school likes team-orientated people. the people were also very sympathetic to people who wanted to shadow DOs from western U and offered some assistance for us prospective students. i think i got the guys emails o if u email me and want to shadow a DO i can show u.

the high tuition was discussed briefly when we went on tours and most of our student ambassadors (very outgoing and friendly and approacable) sort of didnt care about the tuition since theyd be a doctor anyway. they bring up a good point but didnt mention why western was worth the $$$$ over other schools like lecom. a few of them when asked about any cons of the school said nothing was bad at all. someone should tell them if you dont say ANY cons, realistically thats like having an interviewee saying they dont have weaknesses. it raises a red flag.

the area didn't seem too bad. some homeless people around and "rough" people, and not nice or polished like bella terra, but it didnt feel soulless, like UCdavis or UCI, either. it had mature palm trees and lots of shade to soften up the image. the town was like a place past its prime, but still full of character. so yeah, its not laguna beach or south huntington beach but you definitely have the so-cal vibe.

Last edited:
Wait, so the people the school picked to act like cheerleaders... acted like cheerleaders? How many of them were 3rd or 4th years?

Wait, so the people the school picked to act like cheerleaders... acted like cheerleaders? How many of them were 3rd or 4th years?

:laugh: I was just thinking that

Obviously the people giving tours and interviewing you are the ones who like the school. The school wouldn't let a student do either of those things unless they made western out to look like sunshine and rainbows :p

A lot of the things you saw/heard were true though, just not all of it.

Any med school is a vehicle to your final destination. Each vehicle will make it to a destination (some barely make it, and some dont make it to the original destination you wanted because the radiator blew though)

...and just to be fair, all schools hire cheerleaders for tour guides, not just Western.

And this is why people should be cognizant of what they decide to post on social media sites.

[YOUTUBE]DRte0S2a_dA[/YOUTUBE]

I know I have said some not greatly positive things about Western in the past, but after having done extensive research into many other DO programs and how their school system is structured, I actually think Western might be a one of the greatest DO school. This is why I think that. Western's clinical years pretty much act just like other MD schools. Western gives you a TON of freedom to choose what and how you want to structure your 4th year. Sure the core 4th year two Sub I.s and EM rotations are assigned via lottery, but they supposedly try hard to make this be not clumped together. This comes very handy if you haven't yet figured out what specialty you wanted to go into or want to do away audition rotation at competitive AOA residencies.

Also, this is the only DO school that I know of that offers 3rd year elective and selective (or possibly Radiology core 3rd rotation). This is how it is at UCLA, USC and UCSD. I was actually surprised by this and somehow think that the change might have been implemented by all the whining of the current and past Western students. So if this is the case, good job. For example, they used to make you do 6 weeks of pediatrics and no elective or selective for the third year. But they have changed that for the next year. So if you were interested in Ophto or Uro Surg or anesth or EM, you could possibly get a taste of that during the 3rd year. I also recently spoke with an Anesth doctor (MD) and he told me directly that you don't really get a feel for what they do professionally unless you have rotated there for about a month, so this elective and selective deal that Western gives you is really an awesome deal. I think that Western says that they care about producing PCP physicians, but I think they realize what the reality is like outside of the med school, unlike some other schools with their head buried in the ground.

Someone I was exchanging emails with said that I shouldn't really look too hard at the locations and "feel" for the school. Instead, you should look really hard at how the school is structured such as their clinical years, board prep and etc. I spoke with the associate dean recently and she said that they might be offering the board prep every year from now on and that they try very hard to structure their class according to the board relevant material. I know some may disagree, but if this is coming from the associate dean, I don't see why this can't be the mojo of the school.

Yeah yeah, Pomona or anywhere in IE sucks big time. I really think only people that think any of that area is somewhat nice are from somewhere else. Dusty, smoggy, hot and dry!

:laugh: I was just thinking that

Obviously the people giving tours and interviewing you are the ones who like the school. The school wouldn't let a student do either of those things unless they made western out to look like sunshine and rainbows :p

A lot of the things you saw/heard were true though, just not all of it.

Any med school is a vehicle to your final destination. Each vehicle will make it to a destination (some barely make it, and some dont make it to the original destination you wanted because the radiator blew though)

what's not true for example?

Last edited:
Also, this is the only DO school that I know of that offers 3rd year elective and selective (or possibly Radiology core 3rd rotation). This is how it is at UCLA, USC and UCSD. I was actually surprised by this and somehow think that the change might have been implemented by all the whining of the current and past Western students. So if this is the case, good job. For example, they used to make you do 6 weeks of pediatrics and no elective or selective for the third year. But they have changed that for the next year. So if you were interested in Ophto or Uro Surg or anesth or EM, you could possibly get a taste of that during the 3rd year.

Actually, there's been a 3rd year elective for a while (in the vacation/OMM/elective block). The "selective" is new, unless it's just code for the subspecialty rotation at Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Hospital ("IM3"). The big difference is that prior to next year the 3rd year elective counted towards the maximum of 3 electives in a field. So if you did an EM rotation 3rd year, you could only do 2 electives in EM 4th year. Why waste an audition rotation? Now the 3rd year elective has no bearing on the elective cap. Besides, a lot of EM rotations require people doing electives to do a clerkship first if their home institution offers one.
Someone I was exchanging emails with said that I shouldn't really look too hard at the locations and "feel" for the school. Instead, you should look really hard at how the school is structured such as their clinical years, board prep and etc. I spoke with the associate dean recently and she said that they might be offering the board prep every year from now on and that they try very hard to structure their class according to the board relevant material. I know some may disagree, but if this is coming from the associate dean, I don't see why this can't be the mojo of the school.

Remember, the school "offering" board prep is really just code word for "We're using your tuition dollars to buy a board prep program. We really hope you like the one we picked because... well... if you don't we already spent your money on it." It would be better if they just kicked the board prep cost into the loans instead of into tuition.

Siggy pretty much said everything I wanted to.

Also that elective in 3rd is only useful if:
A) You want to go into FM or another primary care field.
B) If you want to go into something else, its pretty much useless unless you were in the 1/2 the class that has the elective near the end of the 3rd year. Many fields (some EM, surgery subspecialties etc etc) will only take you if you have IM, FM, Surg under your belt. If you have your elective in the first half, good luck finding a non-core hospital to take you since you will not have had those subjects because of how the rotation order works. No one wants someone with little experience who isnt from their school (ie I doubt USC, UCLA etc will take you at this point)
C) You choose to use it in a field you are on the fence about to see if you like it or not. This is probably the most useful way to use your elective, especially if its early in 3rd year based off your track

Also, the radiology hasn't been confirmed yet but it sounds like its most likely going to be an online course...which is kind of unfair considering you pay full tuition and will learn far less than you would in a hospital. We will found out next year as my class is the first guinea pig class

Siggy pretty much said everything I wanted to.

Also that elective in 3rd is only useful if:
A) You want to go into FM or another primary care field.
B) If you want to go into something else, its pretty much useless unless you were in the 1/2 the class that has the elective near the end of the 3rd year. Many fields (some EM, surgery subspecialties etc etc) will only take you if you have IM, FM, Surg under your belt. If you have your elective in the first half, good luck finding a non-core hospital to take you since you will not have had those subjects because of how the rotation order works. No one wants someone with little experience who isnt from their school (ie I doubt USC, UCLA etc will take you at this point)
C) You choose to use it in a field you are on the fence about to see if you like it or not. This is probably the most useful way to use your elective, especially if its early in 3rd year based off your track

Also, the radiology hasn't been confirmed yet but it sounds like its most likely going to be an online course...which is kind of unfair considering you pay full tuition and will learn far less than you would in a hospital. We will found out next year as my class is the first guinea pig class

The reason C alone seems like a really good reason to me. The anesthesiologist that I mentioned told me that his 3rd year rotation really helped him to decide on anesthesiology.

Also it would really suck if that radiology rotation was online.

So what are some things that are uniquely bad about western that other DO schools don't suffer from?

Also, this is the only DO school that I know of that offers 3rd year elective and selective (or possibly Radiology core 3rd rotation).

My DO school offers 3rd year electives and selectives. And we get pretty much 100% of the say to decide our schedule (in reference to docnotsopc's post).

I'm doing inpatient IM for one of my electives (I'm interested in IM or an IM subspecialty). I'm doing Radiology for my Primary Care selective.

...and just to be fair, all schools hire cheerleaders for tour guides, not just Western.

I agree most schools do that. However, at one of my tour guides was really frank and honest, and told us "I love the school, but I'm going to give the real info so you can make the best decision and not be shell shocked if you come here" he then proceeded to tell us the not so great things about the school. No major red flags, but still some good info that i will definitely factor in when I make a decision.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Eh 50 k a yr sounds ridiculous for a subpar education, but outrageous tuition and little for your money seems so common in California that has so many budget problems. The state is a mess.

I'm from Texas and I'm so glad tuition is 15 k a yr here. I'm glad even our do school is top quality and I can say that most students at tx schools are genuinely happy at their institution and get more than they pay for (at least where I interviewed). I talked to students who weren't helping on interview day as well and at the socials and mixers off campus. The resources available for student help seemed unlimited. Lectures are video recorded at most schools so class isn't mandatory and most schools have a student database with outlines and notes from students from the present and past years. Everyone is very collaborative and helpful. I don't understand why some people try to sugar coat things rather than admit that there are problems. Why is it wrong to question where this 50k is going? I think any reasonably intelligent person would wonder where all that money is going when it seems like so little is being put into the students. I guess being given the opportunity to go to med school makes any type of abuse justifiable for some people. Lets get real.. Not all med schools have all those problems that the op listed for western. I applaud the op for speaking out.

Last edited:
I would still murder 50 baby kittens to go there.

godkills.jpg

/Old meme is old.

i'm an OMS I at COMP-NW, and up here we don't hire or compensate tour guides. the administration sends out a request to the whole class for volunteers, and students sign up for whatever day they want. if they can't make it, they just ask another student to fill in. it's pretty low key. and some of us who don't feel like volunteering on a saturday afternoon just crash the friday night pizza night welcome to get some free food and meet the prospective students.

i'm an OMS I at COMP-NW, and up here we don't hire or compensate tour guides. the administration sends out a request to the whole class for volunteers, and students sign up for whatever day they want. if they can't make it, they just ask another student to fill in. it's pretty low key. and some of us who don't feel like volunteering on a saturday afternoon just crash the friday night pizza night welcome to get some free food and meet the prospective students.

They don't actually mean COMP in Pomona pays its tour guides. They just meant that the administration isn't going to allow just any old student to participate. Of course they're going to select the students that are going to help us look as great as possible.

They don't actually mean COMP in Pomona pays its tour guides. They just meant that the administration isn't going to allow just any old student to participate. Of course they're going to select the students that are going to help us look as great as possible.

:thumbup: Also, most of the students who want to give the tours are the overly eager ones who love Western

what are they students like at this school? Competitive? Do they all help each other out? Is the comradery between the students strong?

^^I'm sure there are shootings at every school. This is enough to make me not want to go here. If I get accepted this week at LMU I won't even bother attending my interview at this school. Thank you for your input! It made my decision to not attend the interview much easier.

So you would turn down a USC interview? Loma Linda? UCR? All of these CA MD programs are in or near sketchy places. Heck I went to get a root canal at USC dental school and there was a drive by shooting on the west end of campus:D GO TROJANS!

So you would turn down a USC interview? Loma Linda? UCR? All of these CA MD programs are in or near sketchy places. Heck I went to get a root canal at USC dental school and there was a drive by shooting on the west end of campus:D GO TROJANS!

Are you really expecting a response from someone who hasn't logged in since Sept 2013?

You should consider a career in archaeology if the med school thing doesn't work out.

I know this thread is super old but I just wanted to counter some of the stuff about Western's limitations on how many electives in a certain specialty written above. I did an EM elective 3rd year and now I am doing 5 EM auditions. It's pretty rad. I'm doing an away right now and the MD students are like "what?? I can only do 2 EM rotations then I have a mandatory ethics month!!' LOLZ

Yeah, I know it's an old thread too, but I'd also like to chime in with this tidbit, for whatever it's worth: my current doctor (and my wife's) is a recent Western grad and we love the guy!!!

I know this thread is super old but I just wanted to counter some of the stuff about Western's limitations on how many electives in a certain specialty written above. I did an EM elective 3rd year and now I am doing 5 EM auditions. It's pretty rad. I'm doing an away right now and the MD students are like "what?? I can only do 2 EM rotations then I have a mandatory ethics month!!' LOLZ

have these concerns been improved in the past two years? has administration taken steps to ameliorate some of these problems?

Reactions: 2 users
How bad are the break-ins in the school's lot? I'm deciding whether or not to even park there.

#nicecarproblems.

Last edited: