Master's programs associated with a med school (but not SMP?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrostellar

Eternal Pre-Med
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Trying to get a grasp on SMP/master's ideas before I come close to graduation.

I know traditional SMPs are akin to the first year of M-1 curriculum, and other master's in medical science/biomed/physiology are also popular, but is there any truth to my thinking that it would be better to go to a program with an associated med school, even if it's not a traditional SMP? There are tons of master's programs in biology and even medical biology back in my homestate, but none at a university that has a med school.
But. There are a couple other programs I've been looking into that aren't a mock M-1 curriculum, but they are a medical master's associated with a med school. Would they be a better option than a regular bio/med MS, just because of the faculty/resources available at the med school?

Thoughts? Sorry if this is unclear!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO (and in trying to be objective as possible as a 1st year MS student) I doubt SMPs are the silver bullet and there are many people who do a MP in biomedical science, physiology, etc and many who do SMPs and both parties get into medical school, while some don't. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I think you should apply to all SMPs/MPs that you think you're viable for (and have the reputation), and see where it goes.

I also think your system of thinking has some fallacies. What I mean is , in the end, regardless of the "category" of what type of MP program it is or if it is "associated" with a Med school- the most reasonable and smartest thing to do during your selection, is to find the stats behind the schools. That is, what percentage of Masters students got into medical schools. I think that's more telling than the what a school describes themselves as..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile