Master's programs associated with a med school (but not SMP?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

astrostellar

Eternal Pre-Med
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. Trying to get a grasp on SMP/master's ideas before I come close to graduation.

I know traditional SMPs are akin to the first year of M-1 curriculum, and other master's in medical science/biomed/physiology are also popular, but is there any truth to my thinking that it would be better to go to a program with an associated med school, even if it's not a traditional SMP? There are tons of master's programs in biology and even medical biology back in my homestate, but none at a university that has a med school.
But. There are a couple other programs I've been looking into that aren't a mock M-1 curriculum, but they are a medical master's associated with a med school. Would they be a better option than a regular bio/med MS, just because of the faculty/resources available at the med school?

Thoughts? Sorry if this is unclear!
 
IMO (and in trying to be objective as possible as a 1st year MS student) I doubt SMPs are the silver bullet and there are many people who do a MP in biomedical science, physiology, etc and many who do SMPs and both parties get into medical school, while some don't. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I think you should apply to all SMPs/MPs that you think you're viable for (and have the reputation), and see where it goes.

I also think your system of thinking has some fallacies. What I mean is , in the end, regardless of the "category" of what type of MP program it is or if it is "associated" with a Med school- the most reasonable and smartest thing to do during your selection, is to find the stats behind the schools. That is, what percentage of Masters students got into medical schools. I think that's more telling than the what a school describes themselves as..


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile