This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misstomd92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to create a feed for those of us who are/will be preparing to take their MCAT in Spring of 2018. I was hoping we could possibly exchange ideas on study plans, materials that will be used to study, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ill chime in although my study will not begin until Dec-Jan and hopefully take in April. I signed up for the "MCAT questions of the day" and I enjoy those while I lightly cruise through some chem or biochem from the EK books.

Reactions: 1 users
Ill chime in although my study will not begin until Dec-Jan and hopefully take in April. I signed up for the "MCAT questions of the day" and I enjoy those while I lightly cruise through some chem or biochem from the EK books.
Me too!!! Do you know what books youre going to use?

I’m planning on starting in Dec-Jan too, but want to slowly prepare for what is to come. I downloaded a couple of MCAT question apps and so far have gotten majority wrong. LOLLL

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer the EK bio because it has two books one is biology (bio/biochem) and one is systems (A/P)
I read EK and kaplan Chem and they are both decent, although i like the EK books refrences that merge chem with the other sciences as side notes. I still dont know my plan for psych/soc and cars but i have the redit with khan academy 100 page notes.

I plan on taking the MCAT in march/April 2018. So far, I have been practicing CARS sporadically and have almost worked through a Next Step CARS book over the last several months just to get a feel for the passages. I also bought the EK set and have barely browsed through them. I'm waiting until I graduate on Dec 16 to really start going hardcore!

SOOOO question guys, I initially planned on taking the semester essentially off next semester and put all of my focus into studying for the MCAT, but this semester I didn't get into BioChem. Do you think it would be reasonable to take just one class with the addition of studying for the MCAT?

SOOOO question guys, I initially planned on taking the semester essentially off next semester and put all of my focus into studying for the MCAT, but this semester I didn't get into BioChem. Do you think it would be reasonable to take just one class with the addition of studying for the MCAT?

I originally had this plan in mind as well. My adviser then informed me that if I didn't rock the MCAT and didn't take any classes it would look really bad because it would show that even though I had a ton of time on my hand I still performed poorly. So I then went back to him and was like I'll take Anatomy while studying for the MCAT, which his response was to at least take 2 classes in order to cover yourself just incase you don't perform well. So now I'm doing Anatomy and Ecology.

I am writing in March. I've started sporadic studying since July. But now I'm going into full mode. I'm using the Berkeley Review with Testing solutions for CARS. So far I think the Berkeley review is really cool and deep stuff, I love it. The physiology book is damn on track I finished book I, using book II with other books to set up my study. I love their ochem book that thing helped my butt in my biochem course. Let's keep it rolling guys.

I originally had this plan in mind as well. My adviser then informed me that if I didn't rock the MCAT and didn't take any classes it would look really bad because it would show that even though I had a ton of time on my hand I still performed poorly. So I then went back to him and was like I'll take Anatomy while studying for the MCAT, which his response was to at least take 2 classes in order to cover yourself just incase you don't perform well. So now I'm doing Anatomy and Ecology.
How is it going so far with juggling MCAT and classes? I feel like taking BioChem might not be a bad decision and might even help me study.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it going so far with juggling MCAT and classes? I feel like taking BioChem might not be a bad decision and might even help me study.
Right now I'm doing Biochem along with a full course load and it has worked for the most part while doing content review. I'm doing content review right now during this current semester and then when spring semester hits I will do practice questions along with practice exams. One piece of advice my adviser gave me was schedule a set time in your schedule for MCAT studying and no matter what leave that time for studying for the MCAT. Even if you have a big Biochem test or any other test coming up, don't cancel your MCAT study time in order to study more for those classes.

Joining in, nontrad using TBR and EK for prep. May we all get a 528 lol. I started light review as some of my classes were taken years ago. I plan on taking a long term approach using Anki for repetition.

I'm a non-trad shooting for May or June. I've already been getting some studying in and took the abbreviated free exam through Next Step.

I have the Kaplan books, flash cards and will use the Khan materials. Practice test packages when I find a good deal.

I checked out the Crash Course Study Skills playlist last night and picked up some good tips. Sometimes it's while studying it's easy to forget how to study. Hell, I'm pretty sure I never really learned how to do it efficiently.

Keep it up everyone!

Don't panic! And don't forget your towel.

I am writing in March. I've started sporadic studying since July. But now I'm going into full mode. I'm using the Berkeley Review with Testing solutions for CARS. So far I think the Berkeley review is really cool and deep stuff, I love it. The physiology book is damn on track I finished book I, using book II with other books to set up my study. I love their ochem book that thing helped my butt in my biochem course. Let's keep it rolling guys.

I recently heard about the Berkeley Review. I’m going to incorporate into my studies as well. However, Princeton is on the top of my list.

Question: I haven't taken gen chem in about 3 years and I'm probably really rusty on physics as well. I already bought the EK set but was wondering if maybe I should get the Berkeley Review books for the subjects I am particularly rusty in. Will EK and online sources (like Khan academy) be sufficient?

Question: I haven't taken gen chem in about 3 years and I'm probably really rusty on physics as well. I already bought the EK set but was wondering if maybe I should get the Berkeley Review books for the subjects I am particularly rusty in. Will EK and online sources (like Khan academy) be sufficient?
I think that will be fine, but I would reference the aamc outline for things ek may not cover.

I think that will be fine, but I would reference the aamc outline for things ek may not cover.

^agreed. Just to add to this, I got both the EK and Kaplan set and thus far I started with EK and my friend started with Kaplan. Not that far into studying so take this with a grain of salt, I feel like Kaplan really teaches you material while EK kinda reviews everything. I love EK!!! But if you are looking to do more learning I would suggest Kaplan. If you can afford it, I would get both Kaplan and EK both:)!

Hi all,

I'm retaking in April. I have some experience with the 2015 MCAT (499-506-510). I'm only retaking because my 510 expires for many schools AND because I know I can do better.

Initially I focused on content review with little time spent practicing, this yielded my 499. In the months before the 510 exam, basically all I did was practice problems and tests. I took AAMC a week before the real thing and got a 509. So, don't underestimate the importance of practicing the exam and get bogged down in content review like I did. Everyone's strengths will be different, but I can't emphasize enough how important it is to work on test taking skills in a simulated MCAT environment.

My goal is >516. My previous attempts and practice tests all left a bunch of points on the table in C/P, B/B and to a lesser extent PS. So I'll be concentating on C/P and B/B problems and practice exams and using the review to fill in content holes as I go along. No dedicated content review! As for PS, I plan to augment this approach with the premed95 Anki, KA document and a psych textbook.

Any hints, tips, questions, comments, please let me know! Thankfully I used KA and examcrackers full lengths last time around, so I still have AAMC FL 2, 3, the section bank and Q packs.

@BobbyKoch I am taking the advise of many others and yourself: limited content and more practice, but when practicing how exactly do you review your problems? Do you do a full length, see what topics you got wrong, and then do more questions on that topic?

full lengths are sacred. they start at 8am in a room that is as close to sterile as possible. I would use a quiet computer lab or library. take only the breaks that are allowed (ten min between sections, 30 min lunch). no phone, no facebook, etc.

the next day, or within the next week, I go through the full length and really analyze why I got problems wrong. was it content? misreading? calculation error? make a log of all your missed problems and take notes on where you went wrong. this will guide your other work, which is to solve other problems in a similar vein.

Amen. You're on the right track with taking a problem-based approach rather than focusing on "studying" content. I would bet the farm (if I had one) that scores for every student on SDN would increase if they BEGAN their studies by taking and carefully analyzing either one AAMC exam, or at least a good portion of questions from the AAMC Section Bank.

IMO, you need to learn first what the MCAT will look like/require of you. Then you need to learn by testing yourself with accurate MCAT passages/questions. The"Content First"/"AAMC Last" approach is leading too many students into surprising test day experiences--the real exam ends up being far more experimental, acronym-laden, and reasoning-based than they expected. They've memorized some crap...but the exam didn't ask them to regurgitate that crap....

Here's how I approach this process with my students, which I learned myself from my mentors at Altius:

STEP 1: Learn what real AAMC MCAT questions look like. You need to attempt/analyze at least 100+ to really get it.
STEP 2: Regularly attempt passage-based problems on MCAT science topics--THEN learn/review those basic science concepts in the CONTEXT of how they were tested by those questions.
STEP 3: REPEAT until you rarely encounter a problem or passage that leaves you feeling uncomfortable or unprepared.

Most students on here spend MONTHS doing content review and never see a real AAMC question until a month, or even a week or two, before the real deal...YIKES!!

With my students, I do problem-based or nothing. If you ask me a question during tutoring I ask you a question. I'll reason through a topic with you, but never give you the answer--because I know that you need to practice ARRIVING at an answer given a question. Most students study the other way around..."Tell me the answers...then ask me questions." The classes I teach are non-lecture format where we START the class with realistic MCAT questions on the assigned topic (i.e., enzyme binding)...then...only A-F-T-E-R everyone has seen and attempted a few enzyme-based MCAT passages, T-H-E-N we discuss the principles of enzyme binding. Both attention and retention skyrocket using that approach compared to content review first, then test.

There's actually science behind this stuff...its not just my opinion. If you're a serious consumer of knowledge, check out a couple research papers below. In the literature this idea is called "The Testing Effect," "Test-Enhanced Learning," or "Retrieval Practice"...

My all-time favorite statement from one of these researchers: "Subjects predicted they would recall more after repeated studying, even though testing enhanced long-term retention more than re-studying." In other words, the students participating in the study THOUGHT that additional studying would increase their recall, but it was actually testing before or during the study period itself that worked best for them. That's the exact misunderstanding in which most students here on SDN persist...and why the "status quo" will probably continue to be "Content Review First, THEN Practice Tests" for the foreseeable future:(.

SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research
http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/a0019902
https://www.gwern.net/docs/spacedrepetition/1991-mcdaniel.pdf
http://psych.wustl.edu/memory/Roddy article PDF's/Roediger & Butler (2011)_TCS.pdf
Examining the testing effect with open‐ and closed‐book tests

I've read lots of your posts on the subject, @Altius Premier Tutor . In particular, your suggestion to try writing passage based questions ourselves really resonated with me. I have a professor who gives passage-based problems on tests, usually involving a data set and analysis. It struck me how similar it was to the MCAT. I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread here where we can post our own self-authored questions. In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with your approach and I wish I had found you before my previous attempts at the exam!

I have a question regarding the question packs/section banks provided by the AAMC: would it be possible to go through them maybe 2-3 passages (say 12 questions) a day? I'm confused as to how they are set up...would doing it this way just eat up the number of log ins that AAMC gives you?

Last edited:
You have 5 attempts, so you could divide it up into at least 5 days with no problem, just do 1/5 of the bank and then score it. That's not that many passages because they are already divided up by subject. There are also other ways to workaround the software. For example, if you do it with timing OFF and solutions ON, you can take a passage or two at a time. The solutions won't show automatically even with solutions ON, you still have to click a little icon to view them. That will allow you to take the questions blind and then check the solutions. When you're done, just exit/pause the exam, then restart it the next time. An attempt isn't counted until you complete the whole thing.

That's a great idea about a thread dedicated to authoring one's own AAMC-style questions. I'd be happy to create such a thread and then recruit some of my fellow Altius tutors to chime in and give feedback on the quality of questions users submit. I just can't commit too much time because I already spend a lot of time reviewing my students' AAMC-style questions. Writing 5 CAR questions and 5 science questions (on the topic currently being studied) is part of our homework assignments each week and I try to give feedback on all my students' questions every other week or so. Authoring weekly practice questions is a good practice for anyone self-studying too.

Ok so here is where I am so stuck! I know everyone says don't go with that "study now, practice later" motto but the thing is I don't really feel like I know all the material so wouldn't that be a waste of a FL test????? like ive started reading the kaplan books and am only doing 1-2 chapters a day of 2-3 different subjects and obviously I have learned most of the stuff but it all seems like distant memories that I have to RELEARN, which again is taking a lot of time. But then I am worried that I am just taking in content without actually applying the knowledge to how to take the test.
I have 4 kaplan FL and I have bought the entire AAMC bundle (includes 3FL practice tests, section banks, question packs) ! Also, I watched a youtube video where the guy took the AAMC question packs/ section banks and fabricated customized tests that mimmic the format of the AAMC FL, and I was probably going to do the same. so now I don't have any "extra- non full length" questions.

Any suggestions would be helpful :)

Ok so here is where I am so stuck! I know everyone says don't go with that "study now, practice later" motto but the thing is I don't really feel like I know all the material so wouldn't that be a waste of a FL test????? like ive started reading the kaplan books and am only doing 1-2 chapters a day of 2-3 different subjects and obviously I have learned most of the stuff but it all seems like distant memories that I have to RELEARN, which again is taking a lot of time. But then I am worried that I am just taking in content without actually applying the knowledge to how to take the test.
I have 4 kaplan FL and I have bought the entire AAMC bundle (includes 3FL practice tests, section banks, question packs) ! Also, I watched a youtube video where the guy took the AAMC question packs/ section banks and fabricated customized tests that mimmic the format of the AAMC FL, and I was probably going to do the same. so now I don't have any "extra- non full length" questions.

Any suggestions would be helpful :)
I think once you have completed about 70% of your content review you can take a practice exam without feeling as if your guessing constantly. If you decide to wait longer to take a fl (which i advise against)...make sure you are doing plently of practice passages and mix in some free standing questions. Good luck!!

I think once you have completed about 70% of your content review you can take a practice exam without feeling as if your guessing constantly. If you decide to wait longer to take a fl (which i advise against)...make sure you are doing plently of practice passages and mix in some free standing questions. Good luck!!

Thank you!!! What do you recommend for practice passages while I'm in the midst of studying like I have only reviewed 20% of content but I am so nervous that I am only taking content review without practice right now

Thank you!!! What do you recommend for practice passages while I'm in the midst of studying like I have only reviewed 20% of content but I am so nervous that I am only taking content review without practice right now
Khan academy has free mcat passages, u world offers a free trial and has 800 plus questions.

Do NOT wait until you have finished 70% of content before you ever see a realistic MCAT passage. That's the whole problem!

The AAMC Section Bank is NOT a full-length exam. I've heard of students trying to "treat it" like one via various methods, but it will never have validity as a full-length. So, it is your PERFECT resource for getting familiar with AAMC question styles and passage difficulty without using up a full-length. The AAMC Official Guide Questions are another resource you could use.

The important point is to figure out how AAMC is testing you on those actual subjects. As few as 5%, and almost never more than 15%, of your actual questions on test day will test pure content. The rest of them will be passage-based or require pure critical thinking and reasoning. Do you see the problem there?

Students are spending 80-90% of their time studying for the question types that will make up only 10% of their real exam; and spending 10% of their time (at the very end) practicing the skills and question types that will make up over 85% of their real exam.

Reactions: 3 users
Do NOT wait until you have finished 70% of content before you ever see a realistic MCAT passage. That's the whole problem!

The AAMC Section Bank is NOT a full-length exam. I've heard of students trying to "treat it" like one via various methods, but it will never have validity as a full-length. So, it is your PERFECT resource for getting familiar with AAMC question styles and passage difficulty without using up a full-length. The AAMC Official Guide Questions are another resource you could use.

The important point is to figure out how AAMC is testing you on those actual subjects. As few as 5%, and almost never more than 15%, of your actual questions on test day will test pure content. The rest of them will be passage-based or require pure critical thinking and reasoning. Do you see the problem there?

Students are spending 80-90% of their time studying for the question types that will make up only 10% of their real exam; and spending 10% of their time (at the very end) practicing the skills and question types that will make up over 85% of their real exam.

Yes completely!!! I do understand what you mean, as I am reading more of your posts earlier in the forum.
So The guy on youtube I watched, who got a really high score, basically mixed and matched the section banks/ Q packs and made "customized" tests out of them in which he would stimulate an actual test day approach, with the exact number of questions per section and etc. I have tried emailing him to ask how he made those tests, because technically that would use up your attempted log in times. Anyways, I really liked that idea since it gives you almost 5 "extra tests" and although the questions are not exactly the same as FL ones, it still gives you the same pressure focus that a FL would provide (i think).
but I just don't know how to go about making the test and I also don't want to waste the q-packs in case I do end up doing that... I got the official guide which comes with 30 questions from each section and I have so far done the bio section and the chem/phys sections, doing moderately okay. But I need to do better than moderate, I really need a high score on my MCAT, to get into the schools I want.