MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We can no longer edit posts that are older than 24 hours. Which kind of makes it a drag at the end. I think everyone should repost all their stats and everything once they make a decision on the school to show the process and such. Any other ideas?
Yeah, I think this might be the best alternative approach. Bummed that they removed our editing options

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those that said they didn't feel connected to UMN, any specific reason why? I wasn't able to do an in person interview but from my interview they were very interested in where I saw myself in the future.. And I have an interview for OSU coming up but I really don't want to fly out anymore.

For those that said they didn't feel connected to UMN, any specific reason why? I wasn't able to do an in person interview but from my interview they were very interested in where I saw myself in the future.. And I have an interview for OSU coming up but I really don't want to fly out anymore.
I DEFINITELY recommend flying out to OSU. Seriously, that campus is a work of art. You really get a good feel of the students too, especially because there is SO much school pride. I also loved the school of PH and how it’s set up. I was hesitant about visiting but I am so glad that I did. I met a ton of alumni, first years and second years. Everyone, and I mean everyone, seemed to be enjoying their experience. And the program director was sooo friendly! Can’t speak too much about the city because I didn’t explore it much.

As for UMN, they have a great program. For the last 25 yrs 100% of their students graduate with a job placement or fellowship. That’s an amazing reputation. From what I remember, the campus is definitely older, which isn’t a bad thing, but I like having a designated building/buildings for the school of PH. UMN SPH seemed to have a designated floor and separate rooms throughout campus. Also, although there are a lot of libraries on campus, the one SPH students mostly use is the biomedical (I think) library and it was small. But UMN will always tell you that you don’t attend UMN for the buildings or amenities; you attend for the program. As for Minneapolis, well... there’s a lot of museums and places to eat. And if you like to bike, it’s the #1 city for that.. I personally just overall didn’t feel connected to the city or school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I DEFINITELY recommend flying out to OSU. Seriously, that campus is a work of art. You really get a good feel of the students too, especially because there is SO much school pride. I also loved the school of PH and how it’s set up. I was hesitant about visiting but I am so glad that I did. I met a ton of alumni, first years and second years. Everyone, and I mean everyone, seemed to be enjoying their experience. And the program director was sooo friendly! Can’t speak too much about the city because I didn’t explore it much.

As for UMN, they have a great program. For the last 25 yrs 100% of their students graduate with a job placement or fellowship. That’s an amazing reputation. From what I remember the campus is definitely older, which isnt a bad thing, but I like having a designated building/buildings for the school of PH. UMN SPH seemed to have a designated floor and separate rooms throughout campus. Also although there are a lot of libraries on campus, the one SPH students mostly use is the biomedical (I think) library and it was small. But UMN will always tell you that you don’t attend UMN for the buildings or amenities; you attend for the program. As for Minneapolis... there’s a lot of museums and places to eat. And if you like to bike, it’s the #1 city for that... And that's all I really have to say about the city. I personally just overall didn’t feel connected to the city or school.
Also OSU has a legendary alumni network. UMinn has a large one too but I think school pride and student life says a lot. I left OSU feeling like I could have meaningful relationships with my peers and the faculty during and after the program. I felt like I could learn and have fun at the same time. At UMinn I felt like once I left the program, I'd be all on my own (but I would have a degree from Minn - the #4 MHA school in the nation). I know they have resources and talk about how great their alumni network is, but I didn't have the opportunity to interact with alumni. I met one 1st and one 2nd year. And again, I think this speaks a lot. If Minn has such a great alumni network, how come none of them were there to meet and greet prospective students? The only way I would've attended UMN is if they gave me a lot of aid -- which they are known for!

Reactions: 2 users
UMich applicants — how long did it take to hear back from them after your interview?

I had a phone interview on Dec 26th, and although the professor told me on the phone that I would be accepted, they just updated my friend account yesterday. I'm still waiting on an official email

As for UMN, they have a great program. For the last 25 yrs 100% of their students graduate with a job placement or fellowship. That’s an amazing reputation. From what I remember, the campus is definitely older, which isn’t a bad thing, but I like having a designated building/buildings for the school of PH. UMN SPH seemed to have a designated floor and separate rooms throughout campus. Also, although there are a lot of libraries on campus, the one SPH students mostly use is the biomedical (I think) library and it was small. But UMN will always tell you that you don’t attend UMN for the buildings or amenities; you attend for the program. As for Minneapolis, well... there’s a lot of museums and places to eat. And if you like to bike, it’s the #1 city for that.. I personally just overall didn’t feel connected to the city or school.
Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely trying to see. I already reserved my hotel for ohio. My letter should be coming today. I'm also waiting on Cornell next week. What do you think of Cornell vs OSU? I'm working more towards health advocacy groups than hospital administration, so I definitely want a program that can see my vision and help me with that.

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely trying to see. I already reserved my hotel for ohio. My letter should be coming today. I'm also waiting on Cornell next week. What do you think of Cornell vs OSU? I'm working more towards health advocacy groups than hospital administration, so I definitely want a program that can see my vision and help me with that.

Np! Wish I could help you on Cornell but I can’t speak about it because I didn’t apply there. Rankings and location played a big role in where I decided to apply. As blunt as it sounds Cornell wasn’t a top 10 according to USNews so I didn’t apply there (I applied to Tulane because I have family/legacy there) Not sure about health advocacy, but OSUs program is good for those who want to go into admin or consulting. Maybe someone else can help you out more :)

Np! Wish I could help you on Cornell but I can’t speak about it because I didn’t apply there. Rankings and location played a big role in where I decided to apply. As blunt as it sounds Cornell wasn’t a top 10 according to USNews so I didn’t apply there (I applied to Tulane because I have family/legacy there) Not sure about health advocacy, but OSUs program is good for those who want to go into admin or consulting. Maybe someone else can help you out more :)

Thanks for all the input anyway

Just got in at UMich!!

Reactions: 5 users
UMich applicants — how long did it take to hear back from them after your interview?
I had my interview last week on 17th and heard back today on 26th with an official acceptance email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Cornell’s $500 deposit is refundable?

Deposits are non-refundable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See I’m confused because on there’s it doesn’t say anything about it being non refundable and i literally paid like a week ago ugh

See I’m confused because on there’s it doesn’t say anything about it being non refundable and i literally paid like a week ago ugh

I had to withdraw from another school and they said it was non-refundable. I’m assuming it’s the same everywhere, but give ‘em a call!

I had to withdraw from another school and they said it was non-refundable. I’m assuming it’s the same everywhere, but give ‘em a call!

Yeah i sent an email on like Tuesday i think, if i don’t hear back by this Tuesday I’ll call Wednesday! Thanks :)

The deposit is non refundable. I think it said so on the acceptance letter

The deposit is non refundable. I think it said so on the acceptance letter

Oh dang you’re right, hopefully since i paid and then retracted super early they’ll reconsider, but if not it’s whatever it’s my fault.

So I have a question, where 75% of us here are planning to go into hospital administration, why are more people on this board not applying to VCU where their entire focus is on hospital administration?

Can anyone tell me why you didn't apply to VCU? I'm just really curious, I think I'm one of the only ones on this board that is looking hard at attending.

When I decided to apply to schools, it really came down to location and cost for me because I want a school with a great reputation that doesn't cost a fortune and I want to attend graduate school close to home in the south because I love it here.

In at Minnesota and Michigan! I had my Tulane interview yesterday and honestly it didn't go that well (only had 10 minutes with the interviewer due to scheduling mishaps, and they didn't seem that engaged)...but I'm still pretty excited about the acceptances. Congrats to everybody who's been accepted to places this week! And to those with rejections...keep your head up, you'll get in/are already in somewhere :)

Reactions: 6 users
In at Minnesota and Michigan! I had my Tulane interview yesterday and honestly it didn't go that well (only had 10 minutes with the interviewer due to scheduling mishaps, and they didn't seem that engaged)...but I'm still pretty excited about the acceptances. Congrats to everybody who's been accepted to places this week! And to those with rejections...keep your head up, you'll get in/are already in somewhere :)
Wow congrats! Are you leaning to one school right now?

Wow congrats! Are you leaning to one school right now?
Thanks!! Unfortunately (or fortunately), no. The main drawbacks for Minnesota and Michigan for me are the weather...I've spent the past 7 years in the Midwest and have levels of winter-triggered Seasonal Affective Disorder where I need to be medicated for it, so it's more of a big deal for me than it might be for other people. But on the other hand, they're great programs and potentially worth spending another 2 years in cold climates, so...I just need to make a detailed pro/con list for every school, haha. What about you?

Reactions: 1 users

I had the same experience with my Tulane Skype interviewer. I thought it was just me.

Thanks!! Unfortunately (or fortunately), no. The main drawbacks for Minnesota and Michigan for me are the weather...I've spent the past 7 years in the Midwest and have levels of winter-triggered Seasonal Affective Disorder where I need to be medicated for it, so it's more of a big deal for me than it might be for other people. But on the other hand, they're great programs and potentially worth spending another 2 years in cold climates, so...I just need to make a detailed pro/con list for every school, haha. What about you?

I'm in the same spot as you and need to make a detailed pro con list. I was pretty set on VCU (I flew from South Korea to interview with them) and the rejection has me readjusting. I also would choose UAB in a heartbeat but they have not confirmed a Skype interview date with me nearly 2 months after offering it to me...and won't respond to emails or calls.

I love the guarantee of a residency with JHU, but the price tag is nearly double UNC (for in state) so I'm trying to see if that's justifiable somehow. GWU could be in the running due to location and their residency placement locations. I just wish I could get someone in hospital administration to give some perspective on UNC vs JHU vs GWU and the industry impression of these schools.

Did anyone consider attending the University of Alabama? I considered it early on but figured the area wouldn't be right for me. Also any thoughts on the University of Washington?

Did anyone consider attending the University of Alabama? I considered it early on but figured the area wouldn't be right for me. Also any thoughts on the University of Washington?
I applied to University of Washington back in October but to this day have not heard anything back about an interview, a rejection, or any personal communication from the MHA program. So...I'm giving up with them since I already have 5 acceptances in the bag and they weren't near the top of my list anyway. Also...interesting to hear about Tulane. It's unfortunate since the current students and faculty I talked to during visit day were very passionate about the program and the school, but the interview did leave a bad taste in my mouth (and I probably wasn't as tolerant of my interviewer's disengagement as I should have been) so I'm pretty much expecting a rejection.

I applied to University of Washington back in October but to this day have not heard anything back about an interview, a rejection, or any personal communication from the MHA program. So...I'm giving up with them since I already have 5 acceptances in the bag and they weren't near the top of my list anyway. Also...interesting to hear about Tulane. It's unfortunate since the current students and faculty I talked to during visit day were very passionate about the program and the school, but the interview did leave a bad taste in my mouth (and I probably wasn't as tolerant of my interviewer's disengagement as I should have been) so I'm pretty much expecting a rejection.
I emailed them a while back and they said they wouldn't start looking at applicants till after the offical deadline Jan 16th. I got an email to apply for a scholarship last week but that's it. Tulane I'm expecting a rejection too, I'm actually suprised I didn't didn't get one yet. I was really excited for their program when I applied, but my interviewer said that program wouldn't be right for me and didn't ask a lot about me. Who did you interview with at Tulane?

Hi yall,
I heard about SDN from a friend and am new to this page. This forum has a lot of great info. I wish I knew about it sooner. I just got accepted into OSU's MHA program!

Congrats on OSU! How long after your interview did it take to hear back?

I emailed them a while back and they said they wouldn't start looking at applicants till after the offical deadline Jan 16th. I got an email to apply for a scholarship last week but that's it. Tulane I'm expecting a rejection too, I'm actually suprised I didn't didn't get one yet. I was really excited for their program when I applied, but my interviewer said that program wouldn't be right for me and didn't ask a lot about me. Who did you interview with at Tulane?
For UW-I got an email that invitations to the visit day on the 23rd would be given out during the first full week of February so let's hang in there guys!

Rhymes with Dora...you?

I finally got my interview set up with UAB for a week from Wednesday. Did anyone go to the interview days last week? If so, how did it go?

Accepted at GWU. Surprised that a decision was made so quick since the interview was only 3 days ago.

Actually got into Tulane, not sure what to make of it.

Undergrad School: University of Michigan
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: biopsychology, cognition & neuroscience
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 152Q/162V/4.5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- 4 years working at a financial services firm while attending UM
- played a club sport and was very involved on campus w/ multiple leadership positions
- a few 5-6 month health related internship/volunteer experiences while attending UM
- 1 year at a healthcare technology startup in San Francisco
- 2.5 years working in finance in San Francisco

Special factors:
Although not health-related, I've had faculty tell me that my experience in finance is a big plus. It will be helpful in the HMP curriculum and job search after graduation.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: MPH in healthcare management and policy
Applied(include the date of application): UC Berkeley (12/01, verified 12/21), UCLA (12/01, verified 12/21), University of Michigan (12/07, verified 12/21), University of Minnesota (12/12, verified 12/21), Boston University (12/21, verified 12/21), Columbia (12/21, verified 12/21), Emory (12/21, verified 12/21), Yale (01/01, verified 01/01).
Interview: current student at Columbia University (01/15), faculty at University of Michigan (01/17)

Accepted: University of Minnesota (01/25), UCLA (01/25), Columbia (01/26), Emory (01/29), Boston University (01/30), University of Michigan (2/13)

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Accepted at Emory too. I guess Mondays aren't that bad.

Reactions: 4 users
Got my Emory acceptance today too!

Congrats! :):clap:Are you leaning towards any of the ones you've already been accepted to? Or do you have a top choice?

Thanks! Honestly, I'm kind of superficial, so I'm leaning towards either Columbia because it's an Ivy or UCLA/Emory because of the weather (although I'm kind of iffy since they're both MPH-HCM and not MHA). But financial aid will definitely play a huge factor.

Thanks! Honestly, I'm kind of superficial, so I'm leaning towards either Columbia because it's an Ivy or UCLA/Emory because of the weather (although I'm kind of iffy since they're both MPH-HCM and not MHA). But financial aid will definitely play a huge factor.
Do you prefer MHA over MPH or will either work for you?

Do you prefer MHA over MPH or will either work for you?

I'm not really sure what I want to do once I receive a master's degree, but I guess maybe consulting or a fellowship to a hospital executive? So I feel like an MHA degree would be better suited for that career path. Also, I have friends who have friends who got an MPH and say it's harder to get jobs and who wish they got an MHA, but I don't know if that information is accurate since I looked at the career outcomes for MPH-HCM graduates, and there are some who get jobs at hospitals and Deloitte/PwC/EY. So basically, I'm still kind of ambivalent.

Coming up on day 6 tomorrow, hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. Thank you!!! Have you decided on OSU as your program?
I really like OSU's program, but it is too soon to tell. Gotta wait to hear back from other schools and see who gives me the most financial aid! What are your thoughts on OSU? I hope you hear back from them soon!

I'm not really sure what I want to do once I receive a master's degree, but I guess maybe consulting or a fellowship to a hospital executive? So I feel like an MHA degree would be better suited for that career path. Also, I have friends who have friends who got an MPH and say it's harder to get jobs and who wish they got an MHA, but I don't know if that information is accurate since I looked at the career outcomes for MPH-HCM graduates, and there are some who get jobs at hospitals and Deloitte/PwC/EY. So basically, I'm still kind of ambivalent.
At least you have some good options to choose from and hopefully get some MHA options too!