MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks everybody! I think we're all going to hear from multiple places this week so..keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Got into Columbia!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received an informal acceptance to UNC!!

Rejection from JHU via their website =[

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here and just wanted some opinions about a couple questions I had about interviews...

I recently received an interview from UMinn but I don't think that I'll be able to attend the in-person interview; is it okay to request a skype interview/do they offer those as well?
I also just got an email from the assistant director of the MHA program at JHU, but I'm not sure if this is considered a formal interview as she basically just said that she would like to schedule a time via Skype to speak to me before forwarding my application to the full admissions committee? Some clarification would be much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here and just wanted some opinions about a couple questions I had about interviews...

I recently received an interview from UMinn but I don't think that I'll be able to attend the in-person interview; is it okay to request a skype interview/do they offer those as well?
I also just got an email from the assistant director of the MHA program at JHU, but I'm not sure if this is considered a formal interview as she basically just said that she would like to schedule a time via Skype to speak to me before forwarding my application to the full admissions committee? Some clarification would be much appreciated!
I asked UMinn for a skyper interview because I couldn't afford to fly out and it was no problem for them.

I received the same email from JHU and yes, its a 'formal' interview. The interview itself is pretty casual, but this is the interview for JHU. Be prepared to talk about your personal statement, career plans, and what you want in an MHA program.

I asked UMinn for a skyper interview because I couldn't afford to fly out and it was no problem for them.
Ah thank you, that's reassuring I will go ahead and ask then!

I received the same email from JHU and yes, its a 'formal' interview. The interview itself is pretty casual, but this is the interview for JHU. Be prepared to talk about your personal statement, career plans, and what you want in an MHA program.
Got it, thank you! Did you prepare a lot for this interview? And have you heard back from them by any chance?

Got it, thank you! Did you prepare a lot for this interview? And have you heard back from them by any chance?
I didn't prepare alot just for JHU, they were my 4th interview was was pretty prepared in the experiences I would share and such. My interview was last Thursday and I was told to expect a decision in a week and a half so I hope to hear back by Friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry :( keep your head up! How more decisions are you waiting for?
Thanks ☺.UMinn this week and Cornell next week,since they meet Jan 30. Havent heard back from tulane even though the interview did not go well. Then interview with ohio state in feb. Im hoping to get into Uminn or Cornell then I wont neef to go to ohio's interview.

People who have interviewed at Tulane in person; I'm visiting for their open house on Friday and told the program coordinator I was planning to interview while I was there, but I emailed her on Monday to confirm and haven't heard back. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just set it up directly with the person who is interviewing me or badger again? Thanks!

People who have interviewed at Tulane in person; I'm visiting for their open house on Friday and told the program coordinator I was planning to interview while I was there, but I emailed her on Monday to confirm and haven't heard back. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just set it up directly with the person who is interviewing me or badger again? Thanks!

I have nothing to do with Tulane, but I would definitely email her again. She's probably really busy setting up the weekend and overlooked your email!

Hi yall,
I heard about SDN from a friend and am new to this page. This forum has a lot of great info. I wish I knew about it sooner. I just got accepted into OSU's MHA program!

Anyone hear back from BU's second round yet?

I haven’t heard anything since December 18th. They said 4-6 weeks back then, so answers should be in by the end of next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone heard from UMinn yet?
I was accepted the Monday after my interview which is when the adcom meets. They’re really quick about releasing decisions and financial aid awards in my experience!

I was accepted the Monday after my interview which is when the adcom meets. They’re really quick about releasing decisions and financial aid awards in my experience!
That's great!Hopefully I get mine soon. Thanks!

I haven’t heard anything since December 18th. They said 4-6 weeks back then, so answers should be in by the end of next week

Yeah I applied early January..haven’t heard anything back either.

I'm sorry :( do you have any other schools you've been accepted to/waiting to hear back from?
Nothing to be sorry about! I visited the school during undergrad and didn't like the way the campus looked/felt. I also didn't feel as connected to the students or faculty, but applied there because of the program's reputation. UM is also known for giving a lot of aid. Oh well! I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at OSU. Students, faculty, the campus, the city...Everything! Everything happens for a reason. Still waiting on 4 other schools.

Go Buckeyes! :D:D:D

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing to be sorry about! I visited the school during undergrad and didn't like the way the campus looked/felt. I also didn't feel as connected to the students or faculty, but applied there because of the program's reputation. UM is also known for giving a lot of aid. Oh well! I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at OSU. Students, faculty, the campus, the city...Everything! Everything happens for a reason. Still waiting on 4 other schools.

Do you want to post all your stats and schools like we did on the front page? Also, back on page 7 we made a survey to get a feel for everyone applying this year. Congrats on OSU by the way!

I got my acceptance to Hopkins today! :banana:

Has anyone heard back VCU yet? I interviewed with them nearly two months ago and they said I'd have an answer last week but no one from the department will respond to my emails...

Reactions: 7 users

Has anyone heard back VCU yet? I interviewed with them nearly two months ago and they said I'd have an answer last week but no one from the department will respond to my emails...

Congrats!

Congratulations!

So I have a question, where 75% of us here are planning to go into hospital administration, why are more people on this board not applying to VCU where their entire focus is on hospital administration?

Can anyone tell me why you didn't apply to VCU? I'm just really curious, I think I'm one of the only ones on this board that is looking hard at attending.

Congrats!!!

I GOT IN AT UMINN!!!

Reactions: 8 users
So I have a question, where 75% of us here are planning to go into hospital administration, why are more people on this board not applying to VCU where their entire focus is on hospital administration?

Can anyone tell me why you didn't apply to VCU? I'm just really curious, I think I'm one of the only ones on this board that is looking hard at attending.

This is a question that I was asking myself recently, as I applied to only three schools due to financial burden. The schools I applied to had a specific quality that I was drawn to whether it was location, program curriculum, connections with alumni/job market, but after doing some more research I found out that VCU has a required residency during the third year of the program and strong connections alumni, which are very promising
Since the VCU applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis until Feb. 28, do y'all believe it's worth applying to?

Last edited:
This is a question that I was asking myself recently, as I applied to only three schools due to financial burden. The schools I applied to had a specific quality that I was drawn to whether it was location, program curriculum, connections with alumni/job market, but after doing some more research I found out that VCU has a required residency during the third year of the program and strong connections alumni, which are very promising
Since the VCU applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis until Feb. 28, do y'all believe it's worth applying to?
If your stats are above their minimums, they will likely extend you an interview, but keep in mind that they will have fewer spots to be competing for later in the year.

If your stats are above their minimums, they will likely extend you an interview, but keep in mind that they will have fewer spots to be competing for later in the year.

Very true...do you know if there is a tuition equivalent to that of the first two years for the required third year of residency?

I asked and it's significantly less, but you do pay still. For out of state, I think you pay $9500 for the year

I got a mail yesterday from UIC inviting me to interview with them! Has anyone else interviewed there yet? If yes, how did it go and what do they generally ask?

For me, it came down to location and cost. I believe that in terms of the US World Report rankings, the difference between top five schools is negligible. Once you’re at one, it depends more on the work you do and connections you establish. I applied to VCU, but declined the interview once given the opportunity to have a scholarship at another top 5 school.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone considering attending OSU? I recently got accepted to UMN but can't decide between the two.

Is anyone considering attending OSU? I recently got accepted to UMN but can't decide between the two.
Yes! I just got accepted today! I got accepted into UMN too, but I definitely like OSU more. I’m still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools, but OSU is near/at the top of my list :)

Reactions: 1 users

Woah! Exactly how I felt!

My question is a bit of a moot point now as I just got my VCU rejection email.

UMich applicants — how long did it take to hear back from them after your interview?

For those who have received notifications from schools, please update your original post that has your stats. It'll be really helpful to late applicants and next years applicants as well.

For those who have received notifications from schools, please update your original post that has your stats. It'll be really helpful to late applicants and next years applicants as well.
We can no longer edit posts that are older than 24 hours. Which kind of makes it a drag at the end. I think everyone should repost all their stats and everything once they make a decision on the school to show the process and such. Any other ideas?

Reactions: 5 users