MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JUST GOT ADMITTED TO USC!!
Congrats!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you were offered a full scholarship/stipend to a less prestigious school, and just a job at another school, which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! Can I ask when you applied? I applied right before the priority deadline.
Thank you! I submitted my application on 11/28 and I received an email of completion from USC on 12/12. I hope this helps!

If you were offered a full scholarship/stipend to a less prestigious school, and just a job at another school, which would you choose?

For me it would depend how much "less prestigious" the school is. Like someone mentioned before, you don't want to have to sell your school too, but if it's reputable school and I could see myself liking it there I would go for that full scholarship.

For me it would depend how much "less prestigious" the school is. Like someone mentioned before, you don't want to have to sell your school too, but if it's reputable school and I could see myself liking it there I would go for that full scholarship.

Well, both are top 10. One is top 5. I'm much less excited about the city and curriculum at the one I have been offered a scholarship at, but at some point do I just suck it up?

So I've had the wonderfully insane luck of being accepted into every program I've applied to so far! The only one left is U-Washington...they invited me to interview last week but I'm having trouble deciding if I should go since I now have 6 acceptances in the bag already, from schools that are higher ranked than they are. I'm not sure I would go if I got in, but on the other hand I'm not sure I -wouldn't- go either. What do you guys think?

So I've had the wonderfully insane luck of being accepted into every program I've applied to so far! The only one left is U-Washington...they invited me to interview last week but I'm having trouble deciding if I should go since I now have 6 acceptances in the bag already, from schools that are higher ranked than they are. I'm not sure I would go if I got in, but on the other hand I'm not sure I -wouldn't- go either. What do you guys think?
If it helps you decide I declined to go to the UW visit day (also due to other acceptances) and they emailed me asking if I would like to do a Skype interview instead. So it's possible to interview without spending the money for travel!

Reactions: 1 users

They offered a Skype interview to me as well when I declined the visit day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, both are top 10. One is top 5. I'm much less excited about the city and curriculum at the one I have been offered a scholarship at, but at some point do I just suck it up?

Wow. Good for you! I guess you have to decide what's more important to you--being happy and getting what you want out of the program or saving money? Sounds like you'll be going to a good school either way.

I would also look at the network in that area and if you like living in that area. I am starting to get the impression that it sounds like most graduates end up getting jobs in the network by the school they attended. I have no stats but when I look at lists of where graduates go for particular colleges it is within their vicinity.

I think you suck it up if the program itself will put you where you want to be.

One school that I was accepted to told me that I was their 'ideal candidate' during the interview, but after looking more at the curriculum and job placements, I'm less enthusiastic about it because I'm not sure I will be put in the position for an administrator job if I went to this school.

On the other hand, there is a program that I am very enthusiastic about but in a geographic location that I'm not thrilled about, but I'm willing to live there in order to get put into the spot I want in the job industry.

Does that make sense? Due to the time change, I have had all my interviews in the middle of the night here in Korea and I'm so sleepy haha.

I have been a lurker for about 6 months and love all the input you've given me without knowing. I have the good fortune of being offered admission to both of my dream schools, but cannot determine which would be best for me. I am not 100% on what I want to do, but I believe it is either consulting or administrative fellowship.

I have been accepted to both Michigan and Yale. Assuming I get no financial aid, the debt ends up being about the same. What are people's take on this? Which should I attend?

Looking forward to the discussion!

Members don't see this ad :)

Prestige matters to an extent, but imo its the school's alunmi network and/or connections with hospitals/firms that you may be interested in. If the less prestigious school has a large number alumni who work in the area or in specific places you'd like to work compared to the other school, I personally think it makes more sense to take that offer. To leave graduate school with no debt and have almost a guarantee to find a job because of the school's connections is almost too good to pass up.

On the other hand, if you dont think you'll enjoy your time at the school (whether it be cohort size, location, etc) that offered the full stipend and/or the curriculum doesn't suit your needs from a program, then the other school would probably be best. Dont want to be miserable for the next 2 years, and im sure there cant be a "wrong" decision choosing between 2 top ten schools.

I have been a lurker for about 6 months and love all the input you've given me without knowing. I have the good fortune of being offered admission to both of my dream schools, but cannot determine which would be best for me. I am not 100% on what I want to do, but I believe it is either consulting or administrative fellowship.

I have been accepted to both Michigan and Yale. Assuming I get no financial aid, the debt ends up being about the same. What are people's take on this? Which should I attend?

Looking forward to the discussion!
The thing that jumps out to me is that Yale is not CAHME accredited which would eliminate all fellowship opportunities that require a degree from such a program.

(also, these are not MPH degrees correct?)

The thing that jumps out to me is that Yale is not CAHME accredited which would eliminate all fellowship opportunities that require a degree from such a program.

(also, these are not MPH degrees correct?)

Yale is an MPH in Health Care Management. Michigan is the MHSA.

Hey everyone! I hope this is an acceptable post in this thread, if not let me know. I'm currently an undergraduate majoring in Health Care Management and minoring in Economics at The University of Alabama at Birmingham and am expected to graduate in the summer of 2019. So I'm actually applying for graduate programs this upcoming fall, not this past fall like the rest of you. I have a few places on my radar, and I would love to hear some of your experiences with the interview process, thoughts of their respected programs, and first impressions regarding those programs. UAB is on the radar, however I'm really quite interested in Cornell - in fact I'd put it at the top of my list. So, maybe I should start there. How was the application process? What kind of things were you asked in your interview? Again, if this isn't the place I apologize, and if it is easier to private message me that is okay too. All the best with the rest of your interviews everyone!

There are lots of people who interviewed and were accepted by Cornell who can speak to it more than me but it may be helpful if you told us what kinds of things your looking for in a program, what part of healthcare administration interests you and if you are specific to a certain part of the country

Hello! I am new here but have found your input all very insightful. I was hoping to find someone else attending Washington's Visit Day next week!

My original plan was law school (LSAT 168) however I found that the MHA program at UW would be a much better fit for my desired career goals, thus it was the only program in which I applied.

School: UNCW (Wilmington, North Carolina)
GPA: Cumulative- 3.45 Major- 3.67
GRE: 156/156/3.5
Major: Business Analytics
Experience: Years of continuous volunteer work and internships
Special Factors: Completed my bachelors in six semesters

Applied: Washington (completed 11/26)
Interview: 2/23
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Good idea. One thing that is non-negotiable for me is that the program is CAHME accredited, which I know UAB and Cornell's programs are, as well as various other programs across the country - these are just the two I've looked into the most. A couple things I like about both UAB and Cornell's programs is that they're cohort modeled. I like UAB's required residency at the end of their program, which I'm aware Cornell doesn't have, but it's my understanding that you can somewhat "opt in" to do one if you please - this may be false information. I've heard that internships are hard to come by during the semester at Cornell, however their alumni network is strong, which I feel like makes up for the lack of experience. At UAB it's required that you do an internship during the semester, which is great, but their alumni network - while strong - is the weaker of the two programs. One thing I quite like about Cornell's curriculum is the field trip to D.C. where you learn more about healthcare policy. I think that's an incredible experience. In regard to what part of healthcare administration interests me; I'd love to be an executive of a hospital in the future, but I also know this degree can take you to a lot of different places and I'm open to change. Without going into great detail, I got into this area of study because growing up I spent a good bit of time in hospitals and I knew that I wanted to help others the way that I was being helped. I don't have a preference to any specific area of the country for work or school. I would like to eventually take what I've learned abroad as I've always had a personal interest in global health, and have worked abroad in a healthcare setting before - but this is looking more into the future. A couple selfish reasons I prefer these two programs over others: I'm an Alabama native, so UAB is an area I'm familiar with - although I don't see myself here longterm. I'm Canadian/American so Cornell is nice in the sense that if I were to get home sick I'm a short drive to the border, and I think I'll have a family member in Toronto around the time I'll be in graduate school. Neither of those are things I'm absolutely dead set on, just things to put in the "pros" column rather than the "cons" column.

I'm open to suggestions to other programs to look into if any of you think it may be a good fit. Cornell and UAB are just two that I could really see myself fitting into compared to others I've looked into. I'll obviously be applying to more than just those two as well - for example Iowa is a program I've looked into quite a bit.

I think this may be best served as a separate thread. You have a lot of questions and details that may get lost in this thread, which is specifically designated for those applying this cycle. Good luck!

Hello! I am new here but have found your input all very insightful. I was hoping to find someone else attending Washington's Visit Day next week!

My original plan was law school (LSAT 168) however I found that the MHA program at UW would be a much better fit for my desired career goals, thus it was the only program in which I applied.

School: UNCW (Wilmington, North Carolina)
GPA: Cumulative- 3.45 Major- 3.67
GRE: 156/156/3.5
Major: Business Analytics
Experience: Years of continuous volunteer work and internships
Special Factors: Completed my bachelors in six semesters

Applied: Washington (completed 11/26)
Interview: 2/23
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
I will be attending on the 23rd as well! Did you already RSVP?

Just as an FYI, it seems like we are able to edit older posts again. I updated my original post with interviews and acceptances, it would probably be a good idea for everyone to do so if you get the chance!

Reactions: 2 users
Just as an FYI, it seems like we are able to edit older posts again. I updated my original post with interviews and acceptances, it would probably be a good idea for everyone to do so if you get the chance!
Yeah I did so too just now, it’s good that’s we can update earlier posts!

I declined Washington's on-site interview since I can't take any more time off work to go to interviews...I think someone here posted that if you decline the on-site interview they'll contact you to schedule a Skype interview? Is that still true?

UPDATE: yes they did reach out to me to do the Skype interview. Phew!

Last edited:
Columbia sent financial aid letter today!!

Are they pretty generous with aid? I’m just now filing my FAFSA but I’ll definitely need it for Columbia!
Depends on your definition of generous...I got mine too and it seems average/on the low side considering the cost of the program but perhaps it's just me being overly thrifty.

Depends on your definition of generous...I got mine too and it seems average/on the low side considering the cost of the program but perhaps it's just me being overly thrifty.
That’s too bad, I’ll likely be in the same boat :/ are you still considering attending?

Does anyone know if the interview at JHU is mandatory? I applied before the Jan 15th and still haven't heard back from them.

That’s too bad, I’ll likely be in the same boat :/ are you still considering attending?
I think I'll still visit them for one of their Admitted Student Days and do my due diligence to talk to people/learn more about them, but they're not high on my preference list for various reasons. I'm waiting until I've heard back about financial aid from all of my schools before I definitively decline their offer though just in case. What about you?

Does anyone know if the interview at JHU is mandatory? I applied before the Jan 15th and still haven't heard back from them.
Yes, the interview is mandatory. They might still be going through applications that were sent before yours (and it seems like they're pretty methodical about reviewing them) so I would just sit tight and wait.

Just received an email for UM visit day for HPM admitted students, but I haven't received an offer yet from them. Can I regard this as a "potential" offer?

This just happened to me too. Did they follow up with an offer?

I think I'll still visit them for one of their Admitted Student Days and do my due diligence to talk to people/learn more about them, but they're not high on my preference list for various reasons. I'm waiting until I've heard back about financial aid from all of my schools before I definitively decline their offer though just in case. What about you?
I’ll be going to admitted students day on March 2nd, but I ultimately would like to end up on the west coast so USC + deans merit award is pretty hard for me to turn down. I haven’t been overly impressed with the correspondence I’ve had with Columbia but they’re still high on my list :)

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker for the past six months. Your insights have all been exceedingly helpful, and in some cases, reassuring.
Right now I am trying to decide between Rush University and the University of Minnesota. I also haven't seen many people apply to Rush. Any particular reason for that?

I applied to nine schools, eight of which are in the top 10 (Cornell being the outlier). I have been accepted to and visited 8/9 of these schools. So I am happy to offer insight to anyone who is stuck between two schools, like I am. Thanks!
I actually have my Rush interview coming up this week! Do you think you can give me some insight on the types of questions asked, and any advice/last minute tips?

Just got accepted into Boston University today. Pretty excited, but hoping to get into somewhere closer to home.

Reactions: 4 users
I’ll be going to admitted students day on March 2nd, but I ultimately would like to end up on the west coast so USC + deans merit award is pretty hard for me to turn down. I haven’t been overly impressed with the correspondence I’ve had with Columbia but they’re still high on my list :)
Ahahaha I am also hoping to end up on the west coast. *high five* well, maybe we'll run into each other at the March visit day!

Rush's interview process really wasn't that tough. I think the most unique question I was asked, was which leader I admire the most. You have a writing assessment at the end, which is basically asking you about your work preferences so they can place you accordingly (you work 20 hours a week with Rush). Aside from those anomalies, just treat it like any other interview! The hospital is MASSIVE, and you'll see that on your tour.
Thank you for the tip!! I'm super excited to visit! (kind of nervous about the snow and cold tho haha)

JHU is releasing decisions via portal today and tomorrow for anyone who is still waiting on it! good luck

JHU is releasing decisions via portal today and tomorrow for anyone who is still waiting on it! good luck
Do you mean the portal that has the checklist for admissions?

Can some who has gone through the Minnesota interview give some pointers? Mine’s next week.

mine still says "sent for review" on the student checklist page! Maybe I should reach out to them

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum.
I was wondering if anyone else applied to UMinn and how long it took to hear back from them.
I was accepted to Emory and Icahn at Mount Sinai, both are MPH-HCM programs! If anyone has information on these programs I would really appreciate the input!