MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to USF yesterday! in case anyone has been waiting on them

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone looking into Georgetown MSHSA? If so, please message me! I want to hear your thoughts on going there!

Got into Tulane,UMin, OSU and Cornell so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard back anything from Columbia. Anyone applied before the Jan 15th deadline and still waiting for their decision?

I still haven't heard back anything from Columbia. Anyone applied before the Jan 15th deadline and still waiting for their decision?

I'm waiting to hear back as well, but I interviewed last week on Friday. When did you interview?

I have the same problem with a different school. It’s been over two months since I

No.. I haven’t heard back
Maybe tomorrow or next week?
Hopefully tomorrow! I'm tired of waiting!

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum.
I was wondering if anyone else applied to UMinn and how long it took to hear back from them.
I was accepted to Emory and Icahn at Mount Sinai, both are MPH-HCM programs! If anyone has information on these programs I would really appreciate the input!
So my experience with UMinn has not been good. My application was sent for review on 12/14/2017 and as of this week I still hadn’t heard back at all, despite having mailed them a couple of times for an update to which they didn’t reply. A couple of days ago I mailed them once again and finally got a response from the co-ordinator apologising for the delay and asking if I was available for an interview next week which I agreed to. But the whole thing made me feel like maybe they just forgot about my application because there were others who had applied after me and heard back sooner from what I know. So now I’ve kinda lost my enthusiasm for Minn. I hope this doesn’t happen to you.
I was accepted to Emory too and from what I’ve heard, it’s a great program. My sister’s there and she really likes it. But I’m not that keen cuz I’m looking for an MHA and not an MPH-HCM, you’re gonna have to think about your career path and decide the degree you wanna pursue ultimately.

So my experience with UMinn has not been good. My application was sent for review on 12/14/2017 and as of this week I still hadn’t heard back at all, despite having mailed them a couple of times for an update to which they didn’t reply. A couple of days ago I mailed them once again and finally got a response from the co-ordinator apologising for the delay and asking if I was available for an interview next week which I agreed to. But the whole thing made me feel like maybe they just forgot about my application because there were others who had applied after me and heard back sooner from what I know. So now I’ve kinda lost my enthusiasm for Minn. I hope this doesn’t happen to you.
I was accepted to Emory too and from what I’ve heard, it’s a great program. My sister’s there and she really likes it. But I’m not that keen cuz I’m looking for an MHA and not an MPH-HCM, you’re gonna have to think about your career path and decide the degree you wanna pursue ultimately.

I sent my application in 2/2/18. Who were you emailing for updates? I got on email yesterday asking me to interview as well next Friday! I haven't heard anyone receive a response for UMinn until this week. Hopefully it was some kind of unintended delay on their end!
After talking to a lot of people, they say that getting an MHA and MPH-HCM is essentially the same. It depends on the school and what kind of summer residency or fellowship opportunities they offer, and their professional/alumni network. Can I ask if you applied to the Emory MPH-HCM 2 year or accelerated program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my application in 2/2/18. Who were you emailing for updates? I got on email yesterday asking me to interview as well next Friday! I haven't heard anyone receive a response for UMinn until this week. Hopefully it was some kind of unintended delay on their end!
After talking to a lot of people, they say that getting an MHA and MPH-HCM is essentially the same. It depends on the school and what kind of summer residency or fellowship opportunities they offer, and their professional/alumni network. Can I ask if you applied to the Emory MPH-HCM 2 year or accelerated program?
I was emailing Katie keyser. I don’t know, even if it was unintended, it kinda leaves the applicant unenthusiastic, you know? Let’s see how the interview next week goes though.
I applied to Emory’s 2 year program, not the accelerated one.

Yeah I have my interview soon too, and I literally had to CONFIRM with Ms. Keyser that I still had an interview. Before that, we agreed on a date but she never emailed me back to confirm until I emailed her myself. This whole process is making me unenthusiastic as well, but I’ll still interview with them.
I know right? Atleast for the sake of the money spent on the application I’m gonna go ahead with it. Good luck with the interview!

I know right? Atleast for the sake of the money spent on the application I’m gonna go ahead with it. Good luck with the interview!
Thank you so much! Good luck with your interviews as well!

Has anybody heard back from Johns Hopkins yet? I interviewed on the 2nd and I am waiting for the final decision. If not Hopkins, I will definitely go to the University of Michigan for their MHSA program! Who else is going there?

Columbia sent financial aid letter today!!

Was this sent over email or a physical copy? I just got accepted yesterday and I'm keeping my eyes out for something! Did you apply to other scholarships for the program as well?

Can some who has gone through the Minnesota interview give some pointers? Mine’s next week.

Be prepared for the general questions, why MHA and why UMinn. They also asked me about specific experiences, such as volunteering from my resume and personal statement and what I learned/took away from them so be sure to refresh yourself on those as well. Also they asked my about my career goals and how UMinn could help further them. It was overall a relatively short and casual interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a half tuition Dean's merit scholarship at USC !!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Be prepared for the general questions, why MHA and why UMinn. They also asked me about specific experiences, such as volunteering from my resume and personal statement and what I learned/took away from them so be sure to refresh yourself on those as well. Also they asked my about my career goals and how UMinn could help further them. It was overall a relatively short and casual interview.
Thanks a ton! :D

Has anyone else heard back from USC (Southern California) yet? Or does anyone know what level of stats they usually accept?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Yes I did and I was able to receive one as well :)
Hi!
I just received my acceptance from USC but I applied to Dean's Merit Scholarship and the email said that I have to prove financial eligibility before they send an official letter. Did you hear back about the scholarship with your decision letter. I found my acceptance in the you.usc portal.

Has anyone else heard back from USC (Southern California) yet? Or does anyone know what level of stats they usually accept?
Hi I got accepted this morning! They say that you need to have a 3.0 and above average GRE scores to be a successful candidate on their website.

Hi I got accepted this morning! They say that you need to have a 3.0 and above average GRE scores to be a successful candidate on their website.
Congrats! Do you mind saying what your stats are? I am just curious of the typical candidates they pick for their program.

Was this sent over email or a physical copy? I just got accepted yesterday and I'm keeping my eyes out for something! Did you apply to other scholarships for the program as well?

They sent it over email! and their merit scholarship requirements were a bit higher than my scores so did not qualify. they consider you for those automatically though. Are there other specific ones you know of that we can apply for? congrats btw!! :)

They sent it over email! and their merit scholarship requirements were a bit higher than my scores so did not qualify. they consider you for those automatically though. Are there other specific ones you know of that we can apply for? congrats btw!! :)

Oh gotcha, thank you! No I don't know of other ones we could apply for; I was just filled out the FAFSA and the scholarship blurb on SOPHAS so I just wanted to make sure. And thank you so much! Also, do you happen to know if Columbia's program is CAHME accredited?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but when did you hear back on a decision from JHU? My status still hasn't changed on the portal

This just happened to me too. Did they follow up with an offer?

They note on their website that Visit Day does not guarantee admission. However, I just went to Visit Day on Friday, and I think every single person there had been admitted.

What did everyone wear for their interview days? Do you have to wear a suit? Or is just professional dress acceptable? I am going for my first in-person one next week. Thanks!

Oh gotcha, thank you! No I don't know of other ones we could apply for; I was just filled out the FAFSA and the scholarship blurb on SOPHAS so I just wanted to make sure. And thank you so much! Also, do you happen to know if Columbia's program is CAHME accredited?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but when did you hear back on a decision from JHU? My status still hasn't changed on the portal
Yes it is CAHME accredited—on website it says the management ones are all cahme accredited! I heard back from JHU i think last Monday or Tuesday. And no problem at all, glad i can help :)

What did everyone wear for their interview days? Do you have to wear a suit? Or is just professional dress acceptable? I am going for my first in-person one next week. Thanks!
Definitely wear a suit and a tie.

Just got my acceptance letter from USC. Words can't describe how happy I am. As a word of encouragement to everyone else, I only had a 3.2 GPA, a couple of F's in my undergrad and GRE scores in the ~60th percentile across the board. There is hope for all my fellow underachievers out there. I wish the best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got my acceptance letter from USC. Words can't describe how happy I am. As a word of encouragement to everyone else, I only had a 3.2 GPA, a couple of F's in my undergrad and GRE scores in the ~60th percentile across the board. There is hope for all my fellow underachievers out there. I wish the best of luck to everyone!
Congrats!!!

Congrats! I just got mine too. For anyone else waiting, I didn't get an email yet. I just happened to check the portal and saw the decision there so keep checking yours!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance from USC as well. Didn’t get a notification in my email though, I just checked the portal and the letter was posted days ago
Congrats!!!

I got my acceptance letter for USC because I checked the portal too. No e-mail or further information from them yet....

Reactions: 4 users
A month ago I floated the idea of everyone on this forum starting to network since we've all been involved and helped each other through this application process. Below is the link to a LinkedIn group that is open and I invited everyone on this page to join, even if you've never posted in this thread before.

If you'll be starting your degree in Fall 2018, let's connect with each other. You can feel free to share your screen name or not, but I would just love to network with all of you and stay in contact as time goes on. This way we can start connecting with other future students of our programs and just build a sense of camaraderie which I think will be important. I will keep membership open until September or so and then make it invite only so we keep it to students beginning in Fall 2018.

Reactions: 6 users
How is everyone considering where they should go? What is the most important criteria rank?

How is everyone considering where they should go? What is the most important criteria rank?
According to the survey everyone took, rankings, program location, and specific program elements (residencies/internships, program focus, etc), and program cost were, respectively, the top 4 criteria mentioned.

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker for the past six months. Your insights have all been exceedingly helpful, and in some cases, reassuring.
Right now I am trying to decide between Rush University and the University of Minnesota. I also haven't seen many people apply to Rush. Any particular reason for that?

I applied to nine schools, eight of which are in the top 10 (Cornell being the outlier). I have been accepted to and visited 8/9 of these schools. So I am happy to offer insight to anyone who is stuck between two schools, like I am. Thanks!
Have you decided on where you want to go? I am also decided between Rush and another school.. Agh

I got my acceptance letter for USC because I checked the portal too. No e-mail or further information from them yet....
When did you submit your application? I still haven't heard anything on my end and submitted over a month ago.

I applied to Columbia on Jan 1st but have still not heard back--not even an interview. Is there still a chance I may get in? It is one of my top 2 choices.

Also, for those who are deciding on what program to go to. Is anyone deciding between Johns Hopkins and UNC/Columbia?

Congratulations on your acceptance! I am probably at 70% Rush right now, 30% Minnesota. Which other school are you considering?
Rush was extremely professional, and that I think sets it apart from the other universities and campus settings, which I found to be more academia-focused. What were your impressions of Rush in comparison to other programs?
Thank you! And I agree. I love how Rush focuses on making sure their students get a lot of real-world work experience by requiring internship/part-time jobs during the first and second year. The other school I'm considering is the UW since it's in-state for me (interview is this Friday though, we'll see if I get in haha), but they only do a required summer internship after your first year. If I go to the UW, I know that I could find a part-time job during my first and second year, but it just seems like Rush really cares a lot about their students by assisting them in doing this. From my impression after interviewing, it also seems like Rush wants students to branch out of Chicago after graduating, but I'm wondering if it's hard to find work outside of Chicago. In the end, I want to stay in the West coast but I wouldn't mind working in Chicago for 1-2 years after graduation.

I shared the same thoughts. Can't go wrong with either school, from what I've heard-but good luck on your interview on Friday, and keep me posted with your process!
Thank you! and you too, let me know which school you end up choosing!

Can anyone speak to a time frame of hearing back from the schools? I applied a little later (January 15) to USC, GW, Rush, Trinity, Texas A&M, VCW. Can anyone let me know of when I can expect to hear anything?

When did you submit your application? I still haven't heard anything on my end and submitted over a month ago.
I submitted my application December 13, 2017. My acceptance letter was dated for February 17, but I didn't get it in my portal until February 19. Then I didn't get am email notification to check my portal until February 20. So keep checking your yousc portal!

School: UNC - Charlotte
GPA: 3.2
GRE: 150 Verbal, 150 Quant, 4.0 Writing
Major: Sociology, Public Health Minor
Experience (professional or otherwise): FPHLP (competitive CDC public health internship summer program)
Special Factors: young applicant, 1st generation college student

Applied: Saint Louis University(8/27), India University - Purdue University Indianapolis (8/27), Johns Hopkins (9/17), George Washington University (10/25), Xavier (11/9)
Interview: IUPUI (11/3), SLU (11/17), Xavier (12/8)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: IUPUI accepted with small scholarship (11/6), SLU accepted with scholarship (11/17), GWU accepted without interview (11/30), Xavier accepted with scholarship (12/11)
Attending:

How was your interview with SLU? Did you for a whole day visit? Mine is coming up soon

Been lurking on this thread for a while and it’s so exciting to see everyone getting things figured out! I’m currently stuck trying to decide between Trinity, Xavier, and the University of Iowa, and I was curious what you guys thought about each.

In at UAB! They are the last school I was waiting on so now to make the decision!