MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School: University of Alabama System School
GPA: Cumulative: 3.5, Major GPA: 3.4
GRE: 143Q, 145V, 4.0 AWA
Major: Health Care Management
Experience: 4 years of work experience in health care with various administrative and clinical roles, volunteered in kids church for 2 years, assistant soccer coach of club team

Applied: George Mason (8/28), Georgetown (11/1), MUSC (9/22), UAB (9/22), and UNC (9/29).

Interview: Georgetown (1/15/18), UAB (1/23/18)

Rejected: UAB (2/1/18), Georgetown (2/13/18)

Accepted: George Mason (10/18), MUSC (1/25/18)

Attending: MUSC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In at Cornell with scholarship!

Reactions: 4 users
School: Central Connecticut State University (Soph-Present) & North Carolina Wesleyan College (Freshman)
GPA: 3.04 (very strong upward trend); ~3.4 Major; ~3.8 minor
GRE: (taken 8/26) 152V (56%):160Q(76%): 4AWA(60%)
Major: Biology; Psychology minor
Experience No direct healthcare professional experience (hard to get a job in healthcare where I live), but
  • Spent the past 3 years interning at a nonprofit organization (network of 52 programs across 17 states) where I've worked in development, expansion, and marketing. Recently promoted to Senior Intern and is founding member of the organization's Junior Board.
  • Administrative assistant and community outreach coordinator at local church
  • Volunteer at nursing home on Saturdays
Special Factors: 1st generation college student; played NCAA football; younger than most applicants (just turned 20), very strong personal statement; ACHE Student Associate
LORs: 1 from Professor, one from CEO of my job (I've worked closely with her), one from my direct supervisor. I am a transfer student and commuter, so I didn't have much opportunity to build relationships with other school faculty.

Interested/Applied: Cornell (9/11), VCU (submitted 9/16), GWU (submitted 9/16), Columbia, OSU, maybe UNC. (Verified 10/4)
Interview: Cornell (10/6)
Accepted: Cornell (10/20)

Any thoughts on my chances since my GPA isn't very competitive?

Accepted to Cornell w small scholarship!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi my profile is international dentist
Gre 324 quant 163 verbal 161
Gpa aggregate around 3(low)
1.5 yrs work experience as a dentist
Done two diploma courses
What are my chances fr ohio state, umichigan and jhu?

Any international mha applicant?

School: Foreign Medical School
GPA: 2.8 (I know that's low in my defense it's medical school)
. Last 60 hours GPA is 3.2 ( I don't know if it counts)
GRE: 152 V, 155 Q, 4.0 AW. IELTS --7.5
Major: Medicine and Surgery
WES: equivalency Doctor of Medicine,first professional degree in medicine
Experience : professional - Worked as a physician for over 3 years in a
reputed hospital.
Volunteer : worked as a volunteer doctor for non-profit,twice a month for over 2 years. Helped organize medical camps and took care of few administrative details.
Special Factors: 3 strong personalized LoRs , one from hospital's chief of staff, one from public health professor in school And one from clinical diagnostics professor.

Applied: UIC Chicago, Indiana University, Saint Louis, Texas A&M, Ohio, GW,
U Michigan, Memphis
Still waiting on SOPHAS verification . applying to a few more because of GPA,
Hoping they will consider Healthcare experience.
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
Did u get any admit yet?

School:Dental School in India
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.98/4.0
GRE: 303, AWA 3.5
TOEFL: 100
Major: Dentistry
Experience (professional or otherwise)
1 year rotatory internship at dental school.
2 years of community service at dental school
6 months of work ex with a private practicioner in Delhi.
Attached to a few NGOs
Special Factors:
3 research articles published in journals.
Applied: JHU, UNC, Columbia, UMD, UAB, Uminn, GWU
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Is there any way out to make your resume better with the time in hand? Any suggestions? With the current stats, what are my chances of getting through a university? Does a healthcare background count?

School:Dental School in India
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.98/4.0
GRE: 303, AWA 3.5
TOEFL: 100
Major: Dentistry
1 year rotatory internship at dental school.
2 years of community service at dental school
6 months of work ex with a private practicioner in Delhi.
Attached to a few NGOs
Special Factors:
3 research articles published in journals.
Applied: JHU, UNC, Columbia, UMD, UAB, Uminn, GWU
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Is there any way out to make your resume better with the time in hand? Any suggestions? With the current stats, what are my chances of getting through a university? Does a healthcare background count?
Great gpa

I just got my first interview with OSU! Has anyone gone through the process yet and have any recommendations for how to prepare? I have no idea what to expect!

I just got my first interview with OSU! Has anyone gone through the process yet and have any recommendations for how to prepare? I have no idea what to expect!

+1 on this question. I got my first interview set up with Arkansas.

School: Central Connecticut State University (Soph-Present) & North Carolina Wesleyan College (Freshman)
Experience No direct healthcare professional experience (hard to get a job in healthcare where I live), but
  • Spent the past 3 years interning at a nonprofit organization (network of 52 programs across 17 states) where I've worked in development, expansion, and marketing. Recently promoted to Senior Intern and is founding member of the organization's Junior Board.
Special Factors: 1st generation college student; played NCAA football; younger than most applicants (just turned 20), very strong personal statement; ACHE Student Associate
LORs: 1 from Professor, one from CEO of my job (I've worked closely with her), one from my direct supervisor. I am a transfer student and commuter, so I didn't have much opportunity to build relationships with other school faculty.

Interested/Applied: Cornell (9/11), VCU (submitted 9/16), GWU (submitted 9/16), (Verified 10/4)
Interview: Cornell (10/6)
Accepted: Cornell with small scholarship (10/20)

Invited to interview with GWU. Is there any reason to continue interviewing with schools being that I got into my top choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invited to interview with GWU. Is there any reason to continue interviewing with schools being that I got into my top choice?

Would you attend GWU if they offered you a full ride? or a better scholarship? If so, it may be worth interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you attend GWU if they offered you a full ride? or a better scholarship? If so, it may be worth interviewing.

I really don't see myself turning down Cornell, the only possible way I would really consider GWU is if I receive an assistantship or scholarship that'll cover my tuition. I figured I have nothing to lose, so I just scheduled the interview anyway!

School: Large state school
GPA: 3.3/3.4, took one class at a communuty college after graduating and got a 4.0
GRE: 149V, 151Q, 4.5 AWA
Major: Public Health
Experience (professional or otherwise):
-Will have had 1 year full time experience by the time Fall 2018 starts, working in Population Health Management
-Worked part-time for 6 months as front desk in Oncology unit at hospital
-3.5 years volunteering at Children's Hospital
-Internship at small clinic for 3 months summer after senior year
-Intern for 6 months at a non-profit for Senior project
-Leadership position senior year for Healthcare-business student organization
-Worked as a Nursing Assistant for 6 months junior year
-3 month research internship summer of freshman year
-2 week medical mission trip in Asia summer of freshman year
-Tutored chemistry for 3 months

Special Factors: not sure

Applied/will apply: Boston U, New York U, Virginia Commonwealth, Rush, U of Wash, U of Southern California, maybe Ohio State, maybe Saint Louis U
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Looking at everyone's stats, I'm getting really nervous about my GRE score. I would want to retake it, but I don't have much time to study and I've already forgotten a lot from when I studied for it last year. Plus, I've just always been terrible with standardized testing. What are my chances of getting into these schools? Any other "safe schools" I should apply to? Also, I'm wanting to apply by December 1st for scholarship deadlines, but with my low GPA and GRE is there even any chance of getting a scholarship? Much thanks in advance!

If you have a stellar SOP and some solid letters of recommendations you should at least get into a few or more programs. A lot of these programs view the students holistically, and if you can sell yourself in your SOP and resume, your chances of admissions are much higher.

From what I've read in the past years MHA threads, the big scholarships are given to those with 85%+ on the GRE. I've seen different people with different stats receive assistantships though.

Reactions: 1 users
School: WUSTL
GPA: Cumulative 3.14 and Major 3.01 (not great start but upward trend throughout every semester)
GRE: V 168 (98%), Q 164 (87%), W 5 (93%)
Major: healthcare management (minors in math and French)
-was an NIH grants manager
-work in health IT currently
-worked at a marketing start-up, was not fun and made me realize I was meant to work in healthcare
-a bunch of volunteer work not directly related to healthcare
Special Factors:
-LGBT, finished my degree early (more for financial reasons), took computer science courses after graduation for fun

Applied: Tulane, U-Michigan, U-Minnesota, JHU, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill, U-Washington (all on 10/1)
Interview: JHU (10/26), U-Minnesota (1/5), UNC-Chapel Hill (1/12), Tulane (1/26), Columbia (12/20), U-Michigan (1/9), U-Washington (declined on-site interview)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU, U-Minnesota, UNC-Chapel Hill, Tulane, Columbia, U-Michigan
Attending:

Last edited:
School: WUSTL
GPA: Cumulative 3.14 and Major 3.01 (yeah, not great)
GRE: V 168 (98%), Q 164 (87%), W 5 (93%)
Major: healthcare management (minors in math and French)
-was an NIH grants manager
-work in health IT currently
-a bunch of volunteer work not directly related to healthcare
Special Factors:
-LGBT, finished my degree early (more for financial reasons), took additional courses after graduation for fun

Applied: Tulane, U-Mich, U-Minnesota, JHU, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill, U-Washington (all on 10/1)
Interview: JHU (10/26)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
I'm hoping I hear back from JHU soon, I was SOPHAS verified on 10/8. I'm surprised that they are doing interviews already though. I was told by admissions that they wouldn't start until after the admissions deadline on Jan 15!

I'm hoping I hear back from JHU soon, I was SOPHAS verified on 10/8. I'm surprised that they are doing interviews already though. I was told by admissions that they wouldn't start until after the admissions deadline on Jan 15!

I was also surprised; the person I talked to told me that the admissions committee hadn't even had their first meeting yet, but it sounded like my application was one of the first she read through and she liked my statement of purpose enough that she wanted to talk to me early on. So hopefully you'll also hear from them soon if they've already started reading applications!

I was also surprised; the person I talked to told me that the admissions committee hadn't even had their first meeting yet, but it sounded like my application was one of the first she read through and she liked my statement of purpose enough that she wanted to talk to me early on. So hopefully you'll also hear from them soon if they've already started reading applications!

Congrats on the Hopkins interview and good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Interested/Applied: Cornell (9/11), VCU (submitted 9/16), GWU (submitted 9/16), (Verified 10/4)
Interview: Cornell (10/6) GWU (10/30)
Accepted: Cornell with small scholarship (10/20)

Accepted to GWU

Reactions: 3 users

Interview: Cornell (10/6) GWU (10/30)
Accepted: Cornell with small scholarship (10/20), GWU (11/3)

Just got invited to an in-person interview with VCU

Could someone shed some light on HAMPCAS/SOPHAS and when to send GRE scores? In nearly all my apps I've had the chance to attach my "unofficial" score report. Should I still be sending my GRE scores to the schools individually, and should I do so after submitting my applications? This is all very new to me and overwhelming...

Could someone shed some light on HAMPCAS/SOPHAS and when to send GRE scores? In nearly all my apps I've had the chance to attach my "unofficial" score report. Should I still be sending my GRE scores to the schools individually, and should I do so after submitting my applications? This is all very new to me and overwhelming...

You’re going to have to send your GRE scores to the schools individually issuing the school specific code for your applications to be considered complete. You can send the scores on the ETS website!

You’re going to have to send your GRE scores to the schools individually issuing the school specific code for your applications to be considered complete. You can send the scores on the ETS website!

Thanks for the quick reply! And did you do so before or after submitting your applications via HAMPCAS/SOPHAS?

Thanks for the quick reply! And did you do so before or after submitting your applications via HAMPCAS/SOPHAS?

Perks of having the mobile app!

I sent my scores before I even started my applications. Then I contacted each school after I submitted my application just to make sure they paired my scores with my application

Great

hey my gre score is 324 toefl 107, Gpa 3 1 yr work experience any idea how I can get a good scholarship?

I can't say I'm particularly knowledgeable in that area, but from the information I've gathered from following these threads over the years, I'd say you may need to really focus on the written component of the scholarships (personal statement/essay portion). Your GRE score is great, but I think your GPA and work experience might be lower than some other candidates. By no means does that rule you out, but my best advice would be: research (website and talk to admissions/scholarship advisors) what they look for in their scholarship-offered candidates to better your profile, mainly via the PS and any supplemental essay they might ask of you. Hope that helps!

Accepted to Cornell w small scholarship!

Would you happen to know whether or not Cornell accepts supplemental documents for their application? I want to address a drastic dip in my transcripts due to my father passing, just as a safety to any assumptions they might make. Someone told me to add it to my PS but it doesn't fit well with it (I've spent hours tailoring it... don't feel like changing it again haha)! They don't seem to want to answer my calls either...

I can't say I'm particularly knowledgeable in that area, but from the information I've gathered from following these threads over the years, I'd say you may need to really focus on the written component of the scholarships (personal statement/essay portion). Your GRE score is great, but I think your GPA and work experience might be lower than some other candidates. By no means does that rule you out, but my best advice would be: research (website and talk to admissions/scholarship advisors) what they look for in their scholarship-offered candidates to better your profile, mainly via the PS and any supplemental essay they might ask of you. Hope that helps!
thanks yeah I will find out

Would you happen to know whether or not Cornell accepts supplemental documents for their application? I want to address a drastic dip in my transcripts due to my father passing, just as a safety to any assumptions they might make. Someone told me to add it to my PS but it doesn't fit well with it (I've spent hours tailoring it... don't feel like changing it again haha)! They don't seem to want to answer my calls either...

I recommend sending an email to the admission director, Dr. Carmalt. She's been extremely responsive over the past few months answering all of my questions. I had a situation that led to my grades dropping, and I added it to my PS without changing too much. I left the door open for specific questions to be asked during the interview, while also letting the admissions committee know that there was a legitimate reason for my grades dropping.

Does anyone know how competitive UMinn is?

Does anyone know how competitive UMinn is?
According to their website, they received 167 applications and offered admission to 42% of applicants (71 applicants). About 35 students enrolled.

School: Big 10 School
GPA: Cum 3.75, Major 4.0
GRE: 155 V, 160 Q, 4.5 AW
Major: Sociology of Law
Experience: Student administrative work in hospital's ortho department for 1.5 years, 1 semester of research, board member of pre-health club, honors mentor, resident assistant, various volunteering
Special Factors: Younger applicant (19) applying straight from undergrad

Applied: USC, UMinn, GWU, Columbia, SLU (Submitted 11/2, Verified 11/9)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Looking through everyone's posts, I'm nervous about only applying to five schools! Has anybody interviewed/heard back from any of these programs and can fill me in?

I've been accepted to to GWU and my GPA is much lower than yours and GRE around the same. If you sold yourself well in your SOP I'm sure you're fine.

Thanks for the response :) what was your interview like, and are you considering attending?

My interview was very straight forward. I was essentially only asked 2 questions: Why MHA and Why GW. Then I was asked about some classes on my transcript. The rest of the time was me asking questions and us having a pretty casual conversation.

Considering how expensive the program and DC cost of living is, and that I got accepted into my top choice already, I'm not really considering the program unless I receive an hefty amount of aid.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes HAMPCAS to process/verify an application this time of the year? I want to have apps in before December 1st, but I can't submit until I get at least 2 of my LORs in, and none of them have submitted yet, so getting kind of worried...
I can't speak to HAMPCAS so take this with a grain of salt, but when I used SOPHAS there was maybe a week's lag-time total between me hitting the Submit button in SOPHAS and me getting confirmation emails from my last school that they had received my application (they kind of trickled in over the days). And this was in end of September/beginning of October.

If I was in your place I'd definitely bug your recommenders (nicely).

Is anyone going to VCU's Dec. 1 interview day? I RSVP'd for it today.

If someone went to the last interview on Nov. 17, please share your experience with the rest of us!

Undergrad School: Medium Sized State School - graduating spring 2018 from undergrad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.63 Major - 3.54 SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Double Major - Healthcare Management and Marketing
GradGPA
(if applicable): none
Grad Studies (if applicable): none
GRE 11/19: Verbal- 156 (73%) 161 quant (78%)

Interested in: MHA or MPH-Healthcare Management

Applied
(include the date of application): Boston University, Columbia, UNT, UTHealth, Johns Hopkins, University of South Florida, NYU, Cornell, TWU, UH Clear Lake, Trinity

Accepted: UHCL, UTHealth, UNT, Boston University, NYU, Cornell
Interview: Cornell, Columbia, Trinity (declined interview), TWU (declined supplemental),
Rejected: JHU
Waitlisted:
Attending: Columbia! :)

Last edited:
Just confirmed interview dates with U-Minnesota and UNC-Chapel Hill in January!

Interview: Cornell (10/6) GWU (10/30), VCU (11/17)
Accepted: Cornell with small scholarship (10/20), GWU (11/3)
Attending: Cornell

Will be attending Cornell next fall!

Reactions: 2 users