MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if in-person interviews are mandatory, or is Skype okay?
For both of them I scheduled in-person interviews (they didn't give any option for Skype interview).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if in-person interviews are mandatory, or is Skype okay?

I just got offered an interview for December 15th at Minnesota. Unfortunately, I have a final exam that morning that cannot be rescheduled. I asked about any potential phone/skype interview. I will let you know what they say!

I just got offered an interview for December 15th at Minnesota. Unfortunately, I have a final exam that morning that cannot be rescheduled. I asked about any potential phone/skype interview. I will let you know what they say!
Congrats! I should have thought to ask about a phone/Skype interview when I was scheduling, but I'm within driving distance anyway so it never occurred to me. I was also initially offered December 15th but also couldn't make it, haha. Looking forward to the update!

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Very Small Private school in the suburbs of Chicago
GPA: Cumulative and Major: 3.3 Cumulative/ 3.6 Major
GRE: 148 Q/ 150 V 4.0 W
Major: Business Administration and Medical Humanities
Experience (professional or otherwise): 3 years of administration in healthcare settings
Special Factors: Coming from undergrad

Applied: Indiana University, Ohio State University, SLU, University of Iowa, Uni. of Missouri- Columbia, University of South Carolina, Grand Valley State, UIC. (11/15)

Interview: Indiana University (12/1) Ohio State University (1/19)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Congrats! I should have thought to ask about a phone/Skype interview when I was scheduling, but I'm within driving distance anyway so it never occurred to me. I was also initially offered December 15th but also couldn't make it, haha. Looking forward to the update!

Thanks! You too! The girl I have been emailing with told me that we could either reschedule my date or that she could update me when the "Skype date" is set for Skype interviews. She mentioned that they don't set a Skype date until a little later in the cycle because the committee prefers that applicants come if they can. I think I am going to wait for the Skype interview date, as I really can't afford to make the trip out at the moment.

Accepted to Johns Hopkins!! Haven't gotten the official letter yet but was emailed by the program director yesterday.

I guess now I need to figure out whether I still want to go to my other interviews in January...would you guys recommend going anyway? JHU is basically my top school at the moment, but I also want to keep an open mind about the others in case I learn new things that change my mind. On the other hand, I don't want to potentially take a spot from someone else. I also don't know when I'll hear back about financial aid from them/whether it would be okay for me to ask about it, since that's actually kind of a big deal for me...especially given the impending whole tax bill uncertainty fiasco and as a private school JHU is definitely more expensive. Thoughts/advice would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm a current UMich student at the School of Public Health, I'm a first-year MHSA. I briefly used this site last year, and I'm happy to provide advice or insight about the application cycle and/or the program at UMich. Feel free to message me!

Reactions: 3 users
School: Big 10 School
GPA: Cum 3.75, Major 4.0
GRE: 155 V, 160 Q, 4.5 AW
Major: Sociology of Law
Experience: Student administrative work in hospital's ortho department for 1.5 years, 1 semester of research, board member of pre-health club, honors mentor, resident assistant, various volunteering
Special Factors: Younger applicant (19) applying straight from undergrad

Applied: USC, UMinn, GWU, Columbia, SLU (Submitted 11/2, Verified 11/9)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Looking through everyone's posts, I'm nervous about only applying to five schools! Has anybody interviewed/heard back from any of these programs and can fill me in?
Got into George Washington today without an interview. Kinda weird but I’m very excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad School: Medium Sized State School - graduating spring 2018 from undergrad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.63 Major - 3.54 SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Double Major - Healthcare Management and Marketing
GradGPA
(if applicable): none
Grad Studies (if applicable): none
GRE 11/19: Verbal- 156 (73%) and Quant 161 (78%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
1 year - Orientation Leader
Studied abroad in England and then co-founded a Study Abroad Council for the business school
Interned with a fortune 50 company for two summers (Human Resources and Claims Departments)
Worked at a pediatric clinic for 6 months as a medical assistant and receptionist
Won second place in a Lenovo sponsored Marketing Competition
Placed 2nd and 3rd in two school Sales competitions
Volunteered at a local hospital for two summers during high school
UNICEF and Alex's Lemonade Stand club member
Competed and placed in HOSA Public Health competitions during high school
Girl Scouts for 12 years
Volunteer Director for an a Capella competition at college
Currently work as a Computer Assistant at college

LORS: Boss from internship, director of healthcare management at our school, dean of undergraduate students for the B school

Does anyone think I have a chance at some of these schools?

Interested in: MHA or MPH-Healthcare Management
Applied
(include the date of application): Boston University, Columbia, UNT, UTHealth, Johns Hopkins, University of South Florida, NYU, U of Illinois Chicago, Cornell, TWU, UH Clear Lake, Trinity (all applied mid nov, waiting to send GRE scores)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

You're definitely going to get in! Your stats are good, and as long as you can sell yourself in your PS and tie in your experience, you're golden. Best of luck!

Accepted to Johns Hopkins!! Haven't gotten the official letter yet but was emailed by the program director yesterday.

I guess now I need to figure out whether I still want to go to my other interviews in January...would you guys recommend going anyway? JHU is basically my top school at the moment, but I also want to keep an open mind about the others in case I learn new things that change my mind. On the other hand, I don't want to potentially take a spot from someone else. I also don't know when I'll hear back about financial aid from them/whether it would be okay for me to ask about it, since that's actually kind of a big deal for me...especially given the impending whole tax bill uncertainty fiasco and as a private school JHU is definitely more expensive. Thoughts/advice would be appreciated :)

If you had to choose tomorrow and would not be happy that you picked JHU without visiting UNC and Minn, then I think that shows you should go to the interviews. This is a decision that will affect your career path, peer groups, etc and you should make the best choice you can!

I'm a student at Hopkins, and I'm pretty sure they don't do financial aid for the first year for anyone. Second year everyone gets a 75% scholarship, and you do your residency which is usually full salary/benefits. Because of that, the school actually ends up being cheaper than many others! Hope that helps!

You're definitely going to get in! Your stats are good, and as long as you can sell yourself in your PS and tie in your experience, you're golden. Best of luck!

Thank you so much! Could you possibly tell me which you think I have the best chance? I am not sure if you are currently a student at one of those places or what.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student at Hopkins, and I'm pretty sure they don't do financial aid for the first year for anyone. Second year everyone gets a 75% scholarship, and you do your residency which is usually full salary/benefits. Because of that, the school actually ends up being cheaper than many others! Hope that helps!
Yeah, the second year is an awesome sell. I'm still kind of worried about the first year though given that I financially support family members and I know that the cost of living in Baltimore is definitely higher than where I live now. I put this on my FAFSA and I still haven't gotten the formal letter yet though so maybe there's still hope. Thanks for chiming in!

Wow, that's awesome! Are there any other schools that do this? I'm applying through HAMPCAS, and JHU only does SOPHAS. :(
Not that I've seen, but the second year you only take 3 classes and still pay ~$12000 in tuition so it's still a big tuition bill for the second year

Thank you so much! Could you possibly tell me which you think I have the best chance? I am not sure if you are currently a student at one of those places or what.

I’m actually applying this cycle, like you. But based on the previous years of these threads, I’d say you definitely have a shot for all of them. The tougher ones, I’ve noticed, might be JHU, Cornell, NYU and Columbia. But again, take this with a slight grain of salt.

Did anyone else's GPA get lowered when calculated by SOPHAS? It might be because I'm from Canada, and so the scales are different, but when I've done WES evaluations (third party), it always came up as 3.25-3.3. Should I contact them or is the difference not significant enough for me to be worried?

Did anyone else's GPA get lowered when calculated by SOPHAS? It might be because I'm from Canada, and so the scales are different, but when I've done WES evaluations (third party), it always came up as 3.25-3.3. Should I contact them or is the difference not significant enough for me to be worried?
My GPA also got lowered by .05 because of a CC class I took in high school! It was frustrating but I don’t think SOPHAS can do anything about it. :(

Is anyone else getting emailed by the Director of Career Services of Columbia that says "Even as you consider coming to Columbia"?? I haven't heard back from them yet but that just got me really excited / anxious. I don't want to get my hopes too high though lol.

Is anyone else getting emailed by the Director of Career Services of Columbia that says "Even as you consider coming to Columbia"?? I haven't heard back from them yet but that just got me really excited / anxious. I don't want to get my hopes too high though lol.
Yeah, I am too. Seems like a mass email though so it probably has nothing to do with our applications.

School: Top 15 University, grad 2016
GPA: 3.56
GRE: 161 V 159 Q 5 W
Major: Health Econ and Policy
Experience (professional or otherwise): leadership program in an insurance company, after program project manager in same company, 3 internships in healthcare field
Special Factors: patient in high school, only 2 years full time work experience at time of enrollment, might seem too little for a part time applicant?

Applied: Columbia Part time MHA (11/24) NYU MPA Health Track Part Time (not yet applied)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

My GPA also got lowered by .05 because of a CC class I took in high school! It was frustrating but I don’t think SOPHAS can do anything about it. :(

Mine went from 3.25-3.3 to 3.11. The only "good part" of their GPA evaluation is that they break it down for each subject matter and they split between Freshman/Sophomore and Junior/Senior.

Congratulations!!

Congrats! Cornell tends to have really strong student mentors, I would highly suggest reaching out to them to see what you can do to be prepared for your first year!

Mine went from 3.25-3.3 to 3.11. The only "good part" of their GPA evaluation is that they break it down for each subject matter and they split between Freshman/Sophomore and Junior/Senior.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your GPA! A lot of the MHA/MHSA programs do strive to conduct holistic admissions. Try speaking to your experience working, if you have it, and other characteristics that would make you a good fit for the school. You can also address your GPA in your personal statement. Since the school also receives your official transcripts, they’ll also have access to the more accurate GPA calculation as well.

Hi Everyone! NYU just emailed saying that my application has been sent in for review :) has anyone already heard back from them? If so, how long did it take them to review your app?

Hi Everyone! NYU just emailed saying that my application has been sent in for review :) has anyone already heard back from them? If so, how long did it take them to review your app?

Did you apply theough HAMPCAS, and if so, when was your application completed? I have yet to hear from them (makes me so anxious cause it’s my dream school)

Did you apply theough HAMPCAS, and if so, when was your application completed? I have yet to hear from them (makes me so anxious cause it’s my dream school)

Hey! I actually applied through SOPHAS. They sent me the email yesterday (11/30) that my app was fully complete. I submitted SOPHAS/paid 10/27 but I couldn't send my GRE score until November 27th. Good luck! I really hope we both get in :)

Hey! I actually applied through SOPHAS. They sent me the email yesterday (11/30) that my app was fully complete. I submitted SOPHAS/paid 10/27 but I couldn't send my GRE score until November 27th. Good luck! I really hope we both get in :)

You as well!

Hi everyone! I'm a current UMich student at the School of Public Health, I'm a first-year MHSA. I briefly used this site last year, and I'm happy to provide advice or insight about the application cycle and/or the program at UMich. Feel free to message me!
Hi I am also planning to apply fr mhsa in umichigan my gre is 324 Gpa is 3.01 international dental graduate 1.5 yrs work experience what are my chances fr admission? What should I do to get good scholarship?

Hi I am also applying fr jhu mha does every students in their second yr get residency with full salary benefits including international students?

Am I the only one getting more and more anxious by the day just waiting to hear anything (interview, acceptance, rejection)? I thought taking the GRE was hard. Then I thought filling out all the applications and visa information was harder. But quite frankly, waiting is the hardest part. By the way, in case I missed some earlier posts, congratulations to all those that have already been accepted to some programs!

Reactions: 4 users
accepted to university of houston - clear lake! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey does jhu and usc consider Gpa more than gre? As my Gpa is low around 3.01 bt my gre is high 324 will it affect my chances for admission?

Has anyone interviewed with Cornell? If so, do you have any advice? :) thank you!

Has anyone interviewed with Cornell? If so, do you have any advice? :) thank you!

I was asked a ton of behavioral questions (e.g. how do you handle stressful situations, what kind of leader are you, how do you handle a situation when a team member isn't doing their fair share, etc). Most of the questions were tailored to figure out how well I 'd work in a team setting, and also how committed to health administration I really am. Other than that, the interview was super conversational and laid back.

I pulled this from a fellow MHA applicant from a previous cycle (wish I saved his name to give him full credit). The question he’s answering was regarding preparing for the Cornell interview, but I think this could be of value for most interviews!

“CORNELL INTERVIEW

First and foremost, be sure to have a clear story of why you want to purse the MHA degree (vs. any other professional degree, ie. what makes the MHA unique). Make sure you have an idea of how your undergraduate studies, past work, and personal experiences tie together to bring you towards a career in Health Administration. Know also what you would specifically like to do in health administration (consulting, work in provider or payer systems etc. and how you seek to innovate or make an impact). Second, know the curriculum. Be sure to know the courses offered and which stand out to you, what questions you may have about the classes, colloquium, guest speaker panels etc. I spent hours looking over the courses, faculty, and pieces of the program. Third, recollect a few instances of leadership, and how you led the charge or brought efficiency to a team setting. Be ready to bring up challenges you faced in these settings and how you facilitated a solution. Clearly outline in your mind the process a team should use when put in a group and given a task, and what your role tends to be in this process. Last, be ready to address any inconsistencies or weaknesses you might have in your application. If this last part isn't brought up, and the interviewer asks if there is anything else you wish to discuss at the end of the interview, be sure to ask if they had any concerns when looking over your application. It helped me to write all this stuff down and organize it on paper. All of these things came up when I interviewed. Read over your essay carefully as well! Your story is the most important thing. Good luck on your interview. If you've made it to this stage you will probably be accepted! And the conclusion I came to after all the research I did is that the program is awesome.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
I was asked a ton of behavioral questions (e.g. how do you handle stressful situations, what kind of leader are you, how do you handle a situation when a team member isn't doing their fair share, etc). Most of the questions were tailored to figure out how well I 'd work in a team setting, and also how committed to health administration I really am. Other than that, the interview was super conversational and laid back.

Thank you!! This was really helpful :)

I pulled this from a fellow MHA applicant from a previous cycle (wish I saved his name to give him full credit). The question he’s answering was regarding preparing for the Cornell interview, but I think this could be of value for most interviews!

“CORNELL INTERVIEW

First and foremost, be sure to have a clear story of why you want to purse the MHA degree (vs. any other professional degree, ie. what makes the MHA unique). Make sure you have an idea of how your undergraduate studies, past work, and personal experiences tie together to bring you towards a career in Health Administration. Know also what you would specifically like to do in health administration (consulting, work in provider or payer systems etc. and how you seek to innovate or make an impact). Second, know the curriculum. Be sure to know the courses offered and which stand out to you, what questions you may have about the classes, colloquium, guest speaker panels etc. I spent hours looking over the courses, faculty, and pieces of the program. Third, recollect a few instances of leadership, and how you led the charge or brought efficiency to a team setting. Be ready to bring up challenges you faced in these settings and how you facilitated a solution. Clearly outline in your mind the process a team should use when put in a group and given a task, and what your role tends to be in this process. Last, be ready to address any inconsistencies or weaknesses you might have in your application. If this last part isn't brought up, and the interviewer asks if there is anything else you wish to discuss at the end of the interview, be sure to ask if they had any concerns when looking over your application. It helped me to write all this stuff down and organize it on paper. All of these things came up when I interviewed. Read over your essay carefully as well! Your story is the most important thing. Good luck on your interview. If you've made it to this stage you will probably be accepted! And the conclusion I came to after all the research I did is that the program is awesome.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AHH thanks so much! I will definitely use this when I am preparing, super helpful!! you're the best.

Hi I am also planning to apply fr mhsa in umichigan my gre is 324 Gpa is 3.01 international dental graduate 1.5 yrs work experience what are my chances fr admission? What should I do to get good scholarship?

UMich holistically reviews each applicant. I would check your scores with the average student profile for MHSA on the UMich SPH website to see where you stand. If you feel that you need to supplement your scores further, focus on your personal statement! Why do you want to do an MHSA and why do you want to do it at UMich? You can also speak about academics here as well if you feel the need to explain your grades. Keep in mind that your GPA was likely different from the average student who completed a bachelor’s degree in the US prior to applying—this will likely be taken into consideration.

Am I the only one getting more and more anxious by the day just waiting to hear anything (interview, acceptance, rejection)? I thought taking the GRE was hard. Then I thought filling out all the applications and visa information was harder. But quite frankly, waiting is the hardest part. By the way, in case I missed some earlier posts, congratulations to all those that have already been accepted to some programs!

Don’t worry! Remember that this is prime application season—admissions offices are likely going through a TON of applications. If you are getting anxious, call the admissions office and ask how long the general timeframe is to hear back from them.

Congratulations! I was just invited to an on-campus interview, but I'm from out of state. Do you know if they offer phone interviews?
I'm not totally sure! I'm from out of state as well, but I still went to the interview because I was within a reasonable driving distance. I'm sure you could ask!

What does anyone know about the programs at SLU vs OSU? I have been accepted to both and have to choose. I don’t want to sit on two offers. I have been offered a GRA position at SLU as well, but I’ve heard it may be headed in a negative direction.

I’ve also been offered interviews at Rush and Minnesota. Any advice on those? Thanks!

Yes
UMich holistically reviews each applicant. I would check your scores with the average student profile for MHSA on the UMich SPH website to see where you stand. If you feel that you need to supplement your scores further, focus on your personal statement! Why do you want to do an MHSA and why do you want to do it at UMich? You can also speak about academics here as well if you feel the need to explain your grades. Keep in mind that your GPA was likely different from the average student who completed a bachelor’s degree in the US prior to applying—this will likely be taken into consideration.
Yes thanks I will sure review it again. Any idea how competitive to get any scholarship or fellpwship like ra or ta ?