MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does anyone know about the programs at SLU vs OSU? I have been accepted to both and have to choose. I don’t want to sit on two offers. I have been offered a GRA position at SLU as well, but I’ve heard it may be headed in a negative direction.

I’ve also been offered interviews at Rush and Minnesota. Any advice on those? Thanks!
Congrats did u recieve an gra position in osu too?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Large Big 10 School
GPA: 3.956 (Major: 4.0)
GRE: 97% Verbal, 73% Quant, 93% Writing
Major: Psychology
Experience (professional or otherwise): Two years working at an academic medical institution, research experience
Special Factors: Senior in undergrad still

Applied: UMich, UMinn, OSU, SLU, VCU, UAB, Georgetown, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Rush
Interview: SLU (11/17), OSU (12/1), Rush (12/15), VCU (declined), Georgetown (video) UMinn (offered 1/12 — declined), UAB (declined), Columbia (12/20), Michigan
Waitlist: --
Rejected: --
Accepted: SLU (11/17), OSU (12/8), Rush (12/18), Georgetown (1/2)
Attending: --

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First bit of news I’ve finally received... interview with Cornell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Well I got some good news and not so good news.
Good news: I was offered a interview with UAB for January!
Not so good news: UNC said they elected to not decide on my application and will revisit it at a time TBD. o_O

So between that and not getting an answer yet from my VCU interview, I have submitted applications to Cornell and GWU to try to increase my odds of getting accepted somewhere.

Well I got some good news and not so good news.
Good news: I was offered a interview with UAB for January!
Not so good news: UNC said they elected to not decide on my application and will revisit it at a time TBD. o_O

So between that and not getting an answer yet from my VCU interview, I have submitted applications to Cornell and GWU to try to increase my odds of getting accepted somewhere.
Congrats! If it helps, with UNC that means you can put off having to think about spending the money to go visit them in person for now :)

I got offered to interview at Tulane! Still deciding whether to do the in-person interview or the Skype interview since New Orleans is a bit far from me...

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone applied to UI Chicago's Health Policy and Administration program? I applied a month or so ago and it is the only school that hasn't given me any sort of notification that they have received my application.

Does anyone know, for students in their last year of school, whether school acceptances are contingent on the grades you receive in the last year? Or is it a case-by-case kinda thing?

Does anyone know, for students in their last year of school, whether school acceptances are contingent on the grades you receive in the last year? Or is it a case-by-case kinda thing?

I feel like its basically if you can keep above a 3.0 or not, considering that is the minimum requirement to get in?? but I'm not 100% sure either :/

Reactions: 1 users
School: Large Big 10 School
GPA: 3.956 (Major: 4.0)
GRE: 97% Verbal, 73% Quant, 93% Writing
Major: Psychology
Experience (professional or otherwise): Two years working at an academic medical institution, research experience
Special Factors: Senior in undergrad still

Applied: UMich, UMinn, OSU, SLU, VCU, UAB, Georgetown, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Rush
Interview: SLU (11/17), OSU (12/1), Rush (12/15), VCU (declined), UMinn (1/12), UAB
Waitlist: --
Rejected: --
Accepted: SLU (11/17), OSU (12/8)
Attending: --

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm interviewing with SLU on 1/26 and OSU on 1/19!!! Considering how the interviews go, I'm thinking I will be in the same boat in regards to being conflicted between the two. How were the interviews at both schools? Any tips? Which direction are you leaning, between the two or another school altogether?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm taking a insanely tough Physics class right now (the class average test grade is a 40% and he's not mentioning a curve). My GPA is barely over a 3.0 and I my fear is that I drop to a 2.9 or something because of this one class lol

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm taking a insanely tough Physics class right now (the class average test grade is a 40% and he's not mentioning a curve). My GPA is barely over a 3.0 and I my fear is that I drop to a 2.9 or something because of this one class lol

Did Cornell mention anything in your acceptance?

In my acceptance letters, both are “contingent upon final transcripts”

Not sure exactly what it means, but worth noting!

Any john hopkins mha 1st yr or 2 nd yr students?

School: UNC - Charlotte
GPA: 3.2
GRE: 150 Verbal, 150 Quant, 4.0 Writing
Major: Sociology, Public Health Minor
Experience (professional or otherwise): FPHLP (competitive CDC public health internship summer program)
Special Factors: young applicant, 1st generation college student

Applied: Saint Louis University(8/27), India University - Purdue University Indianapolis (8/27), Johns Hopkins (9/17), George Washington University (10/25), Xavier (11/9)
Interview: IUPUI (11/3), SLU (11/17), Xavier (12/8)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: IUPUI accepted with small scholarship (11/6), SLU accepted with scholarship (11/17), GWU accepted without interview (11/30), Xavier accepted with scholarship (12/11)
Attending:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
School: Large private university
GPA: 3.6
GRE: 151V, 149Q, 5.5AW
Major: Public Health
Experience (professional or otherwise): 4 years of professional PH experience. Completed 2 internships throughout undergrad, TA for several PH courses, and completed several PH research projects. Currently completing my last year with Teach for America.

Applied: UMN, UMich, OSU, JHU, Tulane (all submitted 11/11, verified 11/18)
Interview: OSU (1/19), UMN (1/23), UMich (1/26)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU
Accepted: OSU, UMich, Tulane, UMN
Attending:

Last edited:
School: Large private university
GPA: 3.6
GRE: 151V, 149Q, 5.5AW
Major: Public Health
Experience (professional or otherwise): 4 years of professional PH experience. Completed 2 internships throughout undergrad, TA for several PH courses, and completed several PH research projects. Currently completing my last year with Teach for America.

Applied: CSPH, UMN, UMich, OSU, JHU, Tulane (all submitted 11/11, verified 11/18)
Interview: OSU (1/19), UMN (1/19 - pending new date)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

I'll be interviewing at OSU the same day!

I received an acceptance from GWU for another program (Project Management), and there was nothing regarding contingencies. Obviously, it's not the same program, but I doubt different programs within the same school would be different with admissions. I even accepted the offer, paid the deposit, and everything (just as a back up), and nothing was mentioned. I'm not for sure saying every school won't have contingencies, but I think it's more on a case-by-case basis.

I had a second interview with VCU this past week! Hope to hear back soon

Last edited:
Anyone interview with Rush yet? I have that Friday!

Hi Everyone! NYU just emailed saying that my application has been sent in for review :) has anyone already heard back from them? If so, how long did it take them to review your app?
I sent in my application to them late November, but I have not received an email yet saying that my application has been sent in for review. Do you know how long it usually takes to get this email once submitted? Thanks!

Accepted to UT Health Science Center!!

I sent in my application to them late November, but I have not received an email yet saying that my application has been sent in for review. Do you know how long it usually takes to get this email once submitted? Thanks!

Hey! So i applied beginning of november, and took the gre november 18th, they weren't able to send my scores until the 22nd-ish and they sent me an email by the 30th saying my application was complete.

Had anyone received any additional information from UMich? Haven’t heard anything since my application was submitted.

I have a 2-page resume, put down my contact info on both pages, and I just noticed that the document I uploaded on to HAMPCAS has my gmail (what I used for HAMPCAS) on the first page, and my school email on the second page. Do you think admissions would notice this/would they care??

Doubt they’d care. I think they’re just given the email you used for HAMPCAS.

Has anyone heard back for Johns Hopkins MHA Program? if so how long did it take you?

I know this thought might be early, but I'm trying to be hopeful. If I get acceptances to both NYU and Columbia (my top 2 schools—really want to be in NYC), what are your thoughts on each and which would you pick? I'm leaning more towards NYU, and people are calling me stupid for rejecting an offer from Columbia, just on the basis of it being an Ivy. Would love to hear some opinions from you guys.

I know this thought might be early, but I'm trying to be hopeful. If I get acceptances to both NYU and Columbia (my top 2 schools—really want to be in NYC), what are your thoughts on each and which would you pick? I'm leaning more towards NYU, and people are calling me stupid for rejecting an offer from Columbia, just on the basis of it being an Ivy. Would love to hear some opinions from you guys.
It's hard to say! They're both great schools! I think it could be beneficial to make a list of pros/cons. Definitely look into cost of living and tuition. Also look into the current research projects professors are doing... And definitely take a look at where alumni end up. Have you tried connecting with any past/current students? I think they'd have a lot of great insight! Might be worth asking them how they felt about the program, what they liked, what they didn't like, etc.

Me personally? I'd goto whatever school offers me the most money!

Yes

Yes thanks I will sure review it again. Any idea how competitive to get any scholarship or fellpwship like ra or ta ?

Sorry, I’ve been off the forum for a while! Graduate assitantships for research are rare for MHSA since it isn’t a research based course. However, if you have background and a professor is looking, you are eligible to apply. Same goes for TA positions, since a majority of classes are at the masters level in this department, all TAs are 2nd year students or PhD students. Assistantships tend to have a hierarchy, PhD students, Masters students in that department, and Masters students outside of that department-from what I understand, this make it quite competitive.

Generally, it is not advised to do an assistantship during your first semester as it is the most difficult.

It's hard to say! They're both great schools! I think it could be beneficial to make a list of pros/cons. Definitely look into cost of living and tuition. Also look into the current research projects professors are doing... And definitely take a look at where alumni end up. Have you tried connecting with any past/current students? I think they'd have a lot of great insight! Might be worth asking them how they felt about the program, what they liked, what they didn't like, etc.

Me personally? I'd goto whatever school offers me the most money!

This is pretty much what I'd say too. Make sure alumni end up working for the orgs that you want to work for and such. After that, it comes down to who is cheaper!

This is pretty much what I'd say too. Make sure alumni end up working for the orgs that you want to work for and such. After that, it comes down to who is cheaper!
I would also say not to underestimate the important of brand reputation of the school you choose to attend. I can tell you from personal experience prestige does matter in the labor market outside of government licensed professions.

Had anyone received any additional information from UMich? Haven’t heard anything since my application was submitted.

I submitted in September (verified 10/02), after which, I paid the additional application fee. I got an email from them that they received my application on November 1st. Additionally, on November 14th, I got an email about my residency classification. Besides that, I have heard nothing from admissions.

Received an email from Columbia saying they want to do an informational interview with me!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Received an email from Columbia saying they want to do an informational interview with me!! :)

Aahh, congratulations!

Do you know if getting an interview is any indication of having a higher chance of admission?

I'm not 100% sure, but on their website it says some programs may conduct telephone outreach in order to provide and obtain additional information!

I'm not 100% sure, but on their website it says some programs may conduct telephone outreach in order to provide and obtain additional information!
In previous years, I've seen applicants say that JHU does this as well in order to clarify information on the application. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In previous years, I've seen applicants say that JHU does this as well in order to clarify information on the application. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

"I am writing on behalf of Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health Admissions. We would like to schedule a 30 minute informational phone interview with you to learn more about you and also answer any questions you may have about the program."

Do you know if getting an interview is any indication of having a higher chance of admission?

I think, whether it’s for consideration or for confirmation, an interview is a good sign. For example, Cornell’s interviews are more for a confirmation and so, they’ve already considered you for the program and just want to make sure you fit the application you submitted. Other schools might interview just to get a better idea of your application. Regardless, still think it’s a plus!

I think, whether it’s for consideration or for confirmation, an interview is a good sign. For example, Cornell’s interviews are more for a confirmation and so, they’ve already considered you for the program and just want to make sure you fit the application you submitted. Other schools might interview just to get a better idea of your application. Regardless, still think it’s a plus!

I really hope it's for confirmation, but regardless, excited to be even considered! Also, I think I remember seeing that you had an interview for Cornell as well!! If you finished it already, how did it go?!

I really hope it's for confirmation, but regardless, excited to be even considered! Also, I think I remember seeing that you had an interview for Cornell as well!! If you finished it already, how did it go?!

I was actually going to have it tomorrow, but after realizing I have an exam tomorrow as well, I rescheduled lol. My interview is now on Jan 4th. Really want to do it and hopefully hear good news from them.

I was actually going to have it tomorrow, but after realizing I have an exam tomorrow as well, I rescheduled lol. My interview is now on Jan 4th. Really want to do it and hopefully hear good news from them.

Oh shoot okay! Mine is tomorrow actually haha. Good luck on the 4th though :) hope we both get in!

Oh shoot okay! Mine is tomorrow actually haha. Good luck on the 4th though :) hope we both get in!

And best of luck to you!

It really seems like it varies by program. I know of At least two programs who interview everybody over a basic threshold of GRE and GPA scores, while others use the interview as more of a confirmation of their initial gut decision to accept you.