MHA 2018: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent in my application to them late November, but I have not received an email yet saying that my application has been sent in for review. Do you know how long it usually takes to get this email once submitted? Thanks!

Just spoke to NYU on the phone, seeing as how I’ve heard nothing from them since submitting my application. She said not to worry, it takes time for the application to merge into their system (I did it through HAMPCAS). So just a waiting game, but sucks that HAMPCAS took so long to verify my application, which made me miss the December 1st deadline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Just spoke to NYU on the phone, seeing as how I’ve heard nothing from them since submitting my application. She said not to worry, it takes time for the application to merge into their system (I did it through HAMPCAS). So just a waiting game, but sucks that HAMPCAS took so long to verify my application, which made me miss the December 1st deadline

Shortly after, I just received this email.

“Dear HAMPCAS Applicant,

Thank you for applying to NYU Wagner via HAMPCAS by our most recent deadline. You will be receiving a few emails from us in the coming weeks as we begin to move your application into our system. Rest assured that your application counts for the early submission deadline. All future correspondence will come from [email protected]. You do not need to take any action at this time (unless you receive a specific request for more information).”

Reactions: 1 user
Invited to interview with VCU January 19th! For anyone that's already interviewed with them, any advice on what to expect and questions they would ask? I'm the worst when it comes to interviewing so anything is appreciated!
First of all, you'll be with a interview committee of 3 people: a current student, a faculty member, and an alumni. Nearly every question they asked came from my personal statement and they really drilled down on it and would ask follow-ups to most questions. Your reason for going into healthcare is important so practice this alot. Its a 45 minute interview and they'll leave you with 10 mins to ask questions at the end so come ready to ask some of your own questions. VCU interviews about 50% of the people who apply so you really have to perform in the interview.

Good luck! I interviewed on Dec. 1 and found out today that I'll find out if I'm accepted on Jan. 19. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad School: International School from Asia
Undergrad GPA: 3.92/4
Major: Hospital Administration
GRE: 2017/12/18- 322 (161V, 161Q) AWA expecting around 5
Experience: 1 year as an Operational Manager in a Major Super-specialty Hospital
Research: 2 research papers under publication
LOR: Stellar
Interested in MHA / MPH in HCM
Applied: George Washington, University of Minnesota, SUNY at Buffalo, Yale School of Public Health
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Which one would be the best choice for me?

Did you receive another email from NYU Wagner about how your application has been submitted? It talks about a $85 application fee on the "Application Status" page, but I'm not sure where that is.. I also applied through HAMPCAS so not sure if I'm supposed to make an NYU Wagner account somewhere??

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t happy that you’re in the same boat as me haha (solidarity, woo). I did receive the same email. Was planning on calling them tomorrow to clarify, because I already paid and submitted everything. I’ll let you know what they say.

Last edited:
Accepted to George Washington University without an interview!

Reactions: 5 users
I was actually going to have it tomorrow, but after realizing I have an exam tomorrow as well, I rescheduled lol. My interview is now on Jan 4th. Really want to do it and hopefully hear good news from them.

I'll be interviewing on the same day! Just got set up with Dr. Carmalt for a Skype interview

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to wish happy holidays to everybody! Hopefully everyone is taking a well-deserved breather and relaxing!

Reactions: 3 users
School: University of Michigan
Cumulative/Major GPA: 3.51, 3.64
GRE: 163V / 160Q / 4.0AW
Major: Biomolecular Science
Experience: Campus job for over 1.5 years, 3 leadership positions for a volunteering club

Special Factors: First-generation, low-income, senior in undergrad

Applied: BU (12/22), Columbia (12/24), Emory (12/22), GWU (12/15), JHU (12/22), Pitt, SLU, UCLA (12/22), UM (12/15), UMN (12/23), UI (12/22), Yale (12/22)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Invited for an interview at Iowa on 1/12. Anybody else going on this date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia sent an email with the subject line saying "Welcome to New York!" And I got soooooo excited then I opened it and it was one of those like generic emails so sad

Columbia sent an email with the subject line saying "Welcome to New York!" And I got soooooo excited then I opened it and it was one of those like generic emails so sad

I yelled out of joy to my friend in the middle of a restaurant haha. I feel ya

I yelled out of joy to my friend in the middle of a restaurant haha. I feel ya

I did not apply to Columbia but got the same email and was really confused. Not very nice of them.

Does anyone who has been accepted by University of Michigan know if they include information about merit scholarships in the email? I was accepted over the phone after an interview and was told I should be hearing from them after New Years via email when everyone is back at work. I didn't feel comfortable asking at that point if I was going to receive any financial aid

Is anyone heading to the interview day for OSU on 2/9/18?

Does anyone who has been accepted by University of Michigan know if they include information about merit scholarships in the email? I was accepted over the phone after an interview and was told I should be hearing from them after New Years via email when everyone is back at work. I didn't feel comfortable asking at that point if I was going to receive any financial aid

How was the interview?

Is there anyone else in the thread that has heard from UM Ann Arbor yet?

Did anyone that got an interview for UM at Ann Habor get it through email or the student access site?

Wow, congratulations to you all! If you don’t mind me asking, was it the MHSA program that you had applied to or another public health program?

Woot! Me too. Are yall doing phone, skype, or in-person?

I'm going in-person! I'm at MSU in East Lansing, so I'm not far. Plus, I have to go sort out my residency status with the Registrar....

Wow, congratulations to you all! If you don’t mind me asking, was it the MHSA program that you had applied to or another public health program?

I applied to the MHSA program!

Just got an invite to interview with Tulane. Has anyone had an interview with them yet? If yes, how did it go?

Just got an invite to interview with Tulane. Has anyone had an interview with them yet? If yes, how did it go?
I don't know when yours is, but I've got mine scheduled for the end of the month; it'll be in person since I'm going to their open house thing as well.

I'm doing phone interview for the MHSA program, since I'm too far away to justify traveling there and I've had problems with Skype in the past. Plus I think I read somewhere in this thread (or from a past year) that people have gotten their admission decisions over the phone immediately concluding the interview, so I have an inkling of hope :)

Well... Cornell interview is done. Back to the waiting game

I think it went well to be honest. Dr. Carmalt seemed to appreciate and agree with my answers. Not too many behavioural questions. Mainly experiences related to my resume. I don’t know, I think we “vibed” haha

I think it went well to be honest. Dr. Carmalt seemed to appreciate and agree with my answers. Not too many behavioural questions. Mainly experiences related to my resume. I don’t know, I think we “vibed” haha

I just finished my interview with Dr. Carmalt as well! I'm glad yours went well, she was really nice. Sounds like we will get our decision from their AdCom meeting tomorrow or at the end of the month...fingers crossed that its tomorrow!

I don't know when yours is, but I've got mine scheduled for the end of the month; it'll be in person since I'm going to their open house thing as well.
Wow, mine is scheduled for tomorrow.

I just finished my interview with Dr. Carmalt as well! I'm glad yours went well, she was really nice. Sounds like we will get our decision from their AdCom meeting tomorrow or at the end of the month...fingers crossed that its tomorrow!
When did you submitt your application for Cornell? I submitted mine before the 2nd round deadline and I've yet to hear back from them. My application is still in-progress for review.

- Edit : Just got the email to interview

Last edited:

REALLY hoping it’s tomorrow. Best of luck!

For those that received or have completed an interview at UMinnesota...

Did any of you receive an OFFICIAL email stating your interview time and date? I only got a simple email from a woman named Katie saying the time and date, but no other information...

Also - I applied to Michigan's MHSA program.

Last edited:
How was the interview?

It was pretty easy and more of a discussion. It was a 30 minute phone call with no behavioral questions. Just discussed the program and what I liked about it and he gave me a decision at the end of the phone call. That was on December 26th, I'm still waiting for the acceptance email.

Has anyone been accepted to Columbia? I had a phone interview with them and I’m getting really antsy about hearing back :/

And to the person who asked, I only received the simple email from Katie at MN and an instructional email the day before.

Has anyone been accepted to Columbia? I had a phone interview with them and I’m getting really antsy about hearing back :/

And to the person who asked, I only received the simple email from Katie at MN and an instructional email the day before.

I never received an interview... Although I read they’re random with interviews. Not everyone interviews

For anyone who received an interview via Skype with Cornell, did you pick a date and time for the interview, then send a connection request that same day to Dr. Carmalt or the day off the interview? I've never really used Skype that much, but now I have two interviews. So I wanna make sure I know how to use it. Thanks!

For anyone who received an interview via Skype with Cornell, did you pick a date and time for the interview, then send a connection request that same day to Dr. Carmalt or the day off the interview? I've never really used Skype that much, but now I have two interviews. So I wanna make sure I know how to use it. Thanks!
I sent the request the same day just to be safe

School: Top Private Medical school in India
Finished MBBS and currently in the final year of MD clinical microbiology
GPA: 3.2
GRE: 150V 160Q
Major: Doctor with background in clinical microbiology
Experience (professional or otherwise)
-1 yr internship in medical school hospital
- 1 yr as a Medical officer in a multi specialty hospital
- 3 yrs of residency in clinical microbiology including teaching assistantship
Special Factors:
Have volunteered for various medical camps.
Applied: John hopkins, Cornell, Ohio state, USC, Columbia, UIC
Interview: Cornell on 12/19
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending: